Why does every match feel like it’s SEAL team 6 vs a tribe of monkeys

Yerlock.4678

On 10/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Btw, the reason you get rewarded for losing is because when players are only rewarded for winning, they immediately give up (even worse than now), and would just camp their home the whole game while flaming their team after the first misplay, if other PvP games are anything to go by at least. History has proven that players become even more salty when they get absolutely nothing out of their time, as not respecting player time is seen as the greatest offense, and something that relates to what I said above about matches not auto-ending when they're impossible odds.

thats a pretty good point but not entirely true. games like lost ark don't respect players time cuz of rng gear upgrades, and yet they're wildly popular. maybe its different for pvp but i'm not sold on the idea that its always gonna fail. what would you say to a system where individual performance is rewarded but less so for a loss? also don't you think having more incentive to win is a good idea (titles and gizmos excluded cuz of unobtainability for the average player)?

Edited by Stand The Wall.6987

9 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Tell me you never played League of Legend, without telling me you never play Leauge of Legends. I rather play 10 Minutes through a losing game, then deal with surrender Spawm/grieving every lost teamfight mid.

I had game who my teamate exlaimed "lost" while we had 90 Points. The other team had 100. While a lot of factors make game unbalanced, a major factor for lopsided Games is Player mentality. People fold quickly and tilt. Also I see a lot of people playing feast/famine playstyles who produce uneven score even if team were 100% balanced.

100% agree

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Tell me you never played League of Legend, without telling me you never play Leauge of Legends. I rather play 10 Minutes through a losing game, then deal with surrender Spawm/grieving every lost teamfight mid.

I had game who my teamate exlaimed "lost" while we had 90 Points. The other team had 100. While a lot of factors make game unbalanced, a major factor for lopsided Games is Player mentality. People fold quickly and tilt. Also I see a lot of people playing feast/famine playstyles who produce uneven score even if team were 100% balanced.

100% agree

Guild wars 1 had "/resign" command, I miss it, but I get over it

I miss when I could do daily with custom arena or hot-join, but I get over it

unranked has an average waiting time of 15 minutes, too long, I don't like it

I'm only left with "ranked" as an option, I just regret being mixed with higher-ranking players, but I get over it

the number of players is so small that you can't separate the ranks too much

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

There's not much the dev team can do about the pvp community.

They (ANet) literaly did nothing for PvP in EoD:

* No new maps

* No new game modes

*  No new rewards (aside from the generic Cantha track)

*  0 serious testing of the new specs and 0 listen to the claims from the public betas

...Also valid for WvW.

So the phrase "there's not much the dev team can do about the pvp cummunity"  sounds like a bad joke. 3 years of nothingness followed by frenetic attempts to balance things with the finesse of a sledgehammer, going from hotfix to hotfix, and meta builds which last days due how badly the changes were though so they have to instantly revert it. Entrophy at its finest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

They (ANet) literaly did nothing for PvP in EoD:

* No new maps

* No new game modes

*  No new rewards (aside from the generic Cantha track)

*  0 serious testing of the new specs and 0 listen to the claims from the public betas

...Also valid for WvW.

So the phrase "there's not much the dev team can do about the pvp cummunity"  sounds like a bad joke. 3 years of nothingness followed by frenetic attempts to balance things with the finesse of a sledgehammer, going from hotfix to hotfix, and meta builds which last days due how badly the changes were though so they have to instantly revert it. Entrophy at its finest.

The pvp population is too small.

A sizeable portion of the remaining pvp population is incredibly toxic/dark triad and actively work against improving the game mode by harassing other players, cheating, and derailing conversations about the implementation solutions.

Pvp game modes aren't profitable.

A sizeable portion of the remaining pvp population is more interested in power gains to dominate over other players for the sake of their own pleasure rather than balance as is the case in every competitive game.

Not too many resources can be expended on the game mode if the interest lies in profitability lest the shareholders get upset.

The best case solution is just moving the meta classes around every now and then to keep things from being completely stagnant and only fixing the most game breaking situations. Then focusing the rest of time and resources on the profitable aspects of the game along with the more positive, sensible, and much larger portion of the gw2 community; pve.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

No, I didn't play that kids game. But tell me what difference there is between people who would afk, leaving you 4v5 or even 3v5, and people who vote to give up? Literally the only difference is you can actually end the game when its 3v5 and you have literally 0% chance to win. If people want to give up, they will anyway. With or without a vote to give up.

11 minutes ago, Koensol.5860 said:

No, I didn't play that kids game. But tell me what difference there is between people who would afk, leaving you 4v5 or even 3v5, and people who vote to give up? Literally the only difference is you can actually end the game when its 3v5 and you have literally 0% chance to win. If people want to give up, they will anyway. With or without a vote to give up.

Giving people an avenue to surrender does encourage giving up. The example I gave, where my team mate declared the game lost is a game we eventually won. Also how often do you have afks that such a change would actually matter? I rarely have 1 Afk, let alone 2. Even then a game is short enough that it shouldn't matter anyway. Id you get a afk after 4 mins or so, your losing hard enough that you only have to wait 4 mins anyway. If two people are afk the games takes 2 mins maybe? If on your elo/regions afks are so frequent the minimal gain seems worth it, I can guarantee you: You won't be playing any games anymore with a Surrender function introduced. You will be trading surrenders for all eternity.

11 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

A sizeable portion of the remaining pvp population is incredibly toxic/dark triad and actively work against improving the game mode by harassing other players, cheating, and derailing conversations about the implementation solutions.

It's funny someone actually brought this up in the forum for once.

There is actually a weird clique of trolls in NA who operate like this all day long:

1. Troll on an alt account stands on edge of ffa for 2+ hours, doesn't move, doesn't say anything.
  2. The very second a discussion stirs about "what the hell is wrong with these games? maybe they should do this or this to fix it" the troll comes alive.
  3. Troll starts injecting propaganda to make the players look stupid, bad, uncool, for discussing the game they are playing in the in-game map chat.

After awhile you wonder who these people are and what their incentive is to lurk around waiting to shut down game discussions. It's quite strange really.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524

19 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Population in PvP is small, but didn't start that way. Main reason of the implosion has been the game mode being neglected.

Also, ANet never tried to much to make earnings from cosmetics in this game mode (like releasing skins which required both gems and PvP tokens). Most succesfull games inTwitch are competitive multiplayer games with constant balance corrections and a flourishing economy based on selling skins.

The WvW clan in which I was for ~4 years 100% faded out after PoF due ANet stopped the support for the game mode. Things has been even worse at PvP. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

After awhile you wonder who these people are and what their incentive is to lurk around waiting to shut down game discussions. It's quite strange really.

The purpose of their gaslighting; much like their purpose for cheating, is just to appear really good at the game to a small bunch of people that they don't know, and who probably dislike them in most cases.

I don't use the word gaslighting lightly either; as doing so compels me to dye my hair purple and consume insect burgers, but what else would you even call this?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

The purpose of their gaslighting; much like their purpose for cheating, is just to appear really good at the game to a small bunch of people that they don't know, and who probably dislike them in most cases.

I don't use the word gaslighting lightly either; as doing so compels me to dye my hair purple and consume insect burgers, but what else would you even call this?

I agree fully.

That's the only choice of a term to use because that's exactly what they're doing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Gaslighting is a common tactic of people with narcissist personality disorder( NPD). Narcississm itself has gotten a lot more attention and research done to it due to the massive rise of narcissism in general from a combination of an increase in single parent households (the single parent typically becomes bitter and has a mix of high expectations and direction of anger towards the child; prime fuel to created NPD), increase in social media usage and the need for attention from lots of strangers, increase of internet usage and the anonymity it affords to relax social etiquette due to lack of consequences.

All of this to say that knowing about gaslighting doesn't make you a political extremist, its just the times we live in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Gaslighting is a common tactic of people with narcissist personality disorder( NPD). Narcississm itself has gotten a lot more attention and research done to it due to the massive rise of narcissism in general from a combination of an increase in single parent households (the single parent typically becomes bitter and has a mix of high expectations and direction of anger towards the child; prime fuel to created NPD), increase in social media usage and the need for attention from lots of strangers, increase of internet usage and the anonymity it affords to relax social etiquette due to lack of consequences.

All of this to say that knowing about gaslighting doesn't make you a political extremist, its just the times we live in.

Well if that's the case, I just want to let the wintrader cartel know that they can come back from this still, and everything is not hopeless. ☮️❤️🧑‍🤝‍🧑🙇‍♂️

If they want respect, they should just play the game normally and stop treating this like some of college frat house. I guarantee that if there were no shady BS, then they'd probably get a taste of the admiration and acceptance they desire, because some of them are actually pretty decent at the game, they're just way too extra and not at all humble in how they express that to other people.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, Dr Meta.3158 said:

A sizeable portion of the remaining pvp population is more interested in power gains to dominate over other players for the sake of their own pleasure rather than balance as is the case in every competitive game.

Not too many resources can be expended on the game mode if the interest lies in profitability lest the shareholders get upset.

The best case solution is just moving the meta classes around every now and then to keep things from being completely stagnant and only fixing the most game breaking situations. Then focusing the rest of time and resources on the profitable aspects of the game along with the more positive, sensible, and much larger portion of the gw2 community; pve.

Should we remove you? Oh wait you said move. 

Won’t you always be meta? 

meh. Bad joke. Carry on. Sic’em, Sparklepaws!

Edited by Bast.7253