LWS1 is done - We'll finally get new content!

Aodlop.1907

3 hours ago, Val.7826 said:

People here already complaining about the absence of new contents are probably the same people who rush the completition of every expansion or LW the first 2 weeks after release. Just take your time and enjoy content, game designers don't need to be rushed, maybe they just covered this year with LW1 to rearrange thoughts for newer contents. Patience fellas!

If Blizzard or SE did not release a content update for nearly a year after an expansion release the games would die.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Yet people are overwhelmingly happy to have such one and done content. 

Just because you don't like it it doesn't mean it's not good content or not content at all. 

Are you seriously going to defend one and done content in a MMO?

Content with zero replay value and zero rewards for repeats is a colossal waste of time and bad for a MMO - the quarterly earnings report shows this, btw.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Confused 7

28 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Content with zero replay value and zero rewards for repeats is a colossal waste of time and bad for a MMO - the quarterly earnings report shows this, btw.

What the hell are you talking about ?  There is some decline compared to Q2 but it's still better than Q3 2021.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, Kozumi.5816 said:

How is Living World Season One as a 'one and done' any different from the Personal Story, Living World Season Two, Season Three, Season Four, Season Five (aka The Icebrood Saga) or any other story-type content?  Are you claiming that all those years of story are a 'colossal waste of time and bad for an MMO'?  Why is Guild Wars 2 still populated and receiving updates, then? 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

17 hours ago, Ray Koopa.2354 said:

Southsun Cove is next. *grabs popcorn*

Haha, yeah. That was basically what I was thinking when I played the re-release: "this is all nice and really great especially for the new players that came with the Steam release, but they're still missing so much more." The whole unfolding of the Southsun Cove events will never come back, and I'm also sad that the crown pavillon activities didn't come back with it's episode.

But then again the greatest thing for me is being able to walk in the old Lion's Arch again and dive to the ruins of the original without Scarlet's wreck. Now I do think we will be getting a Living World season 6 for sure, because I do not think the new expansion will already come next year, so there needs to be content to fill that year.

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

How is Living World Season One as a 'one and done' any different from the Personal Story,, Living World Season Two, Season Three, Season Four, Season Five (aka The Icebrood Saga) or any other story-type content?  Are you claiming that all those years of story are a 'colossal waste of time and bad for an MMO'?  Why is Guild Wars 2 still populated and receiving updates, then? 

Check it's quarterly earnings, the game isn't doing so hot.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

This is why this genre will never be worth playing again. 

BTW, go read old forums from 2000-2004 MMOs, no one cares or talks about the story at all.

Shocking that people change, isn't it? How in the 2000s seeing guides online was awesome and now everything must be explained by the game for example. 
Each game has different playerbase, I know, hard to believe that there are people who like story in MMOs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Each game has different playerbase, I know, hard to believe that there are people who like story in MMOs.

Those people are happily playing FF14 and don't even know Anet is a company on planet earth.

4 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Shocking that people change, isn't it?

People didn't change, games did. It's far easier and more profitable to create a meaty core story and sell mtxs to casual whales than to make a in depth RPG with a wide variety of content and progression.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Confused 7

On 11/12/2022 at 4:08 PM, Kozumi.5816 said:

Gw 2 has an other system than most other MMO's (Vertical vs Horizontal Progression). Maybe u should read first what that means. And the Earnings of Q3 22 was good. It could be better yes but 2022 overall was a good year compared to 19.

There are players who do not need virtual carrots for a serotonin push. They simply play the game. Heck how could there be peoples who play wvw for now 10 years? I mean WvW has zero meaningful rewards. No Infusion, No skins everyone want to have and only 1 Legendary item. I can remember the rls where WvW was costly because you had to pay the upgrades of the castles and towers and there wheren't Pips and Chests.

Maybe the game isn't for you then?

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 11/14/2022 at 3:48 PM, Kozumi.5816 said:

BTW, go read old forums from 2000-2004 MMOs, no one cares or talks about the story at all.

Perhaps that's because MMO devs then didn't really care about that part of desing either. Additionally, if you do want to go back to the "old, good" pre-WoW times of MMORPGs, i'd like you to remind you how popular that genre was at that time (hint: if you do not remember, the answer is "not very").

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:04 AM, Kozumi.5816 said:

While technically true, one and done is not good MMO content.

ToN and BfLA are not one-and-done content though.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:48 AM, Kozumi.5816 said:

What value to this discussion would forums from twenty years ago be?

That's like saying "people didn't play video games in 1980s for the story!" You're not wrong, but that's largely because video games didn't have story back then. Same with MMOs twenty years ago - the amount of MMOs with story were much smaller back then, and one of them that did was the behemoth known as World of Warcraft. Correlation? Maybe, maybe not.

Meanwhile if you check old Guild Wars 1 forums, you can find people invested in the story since its launch in 2005.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me I started a month after release. I played every day. Sadly because of the "one and done" style they used to have I missed a lot of events in the beginning. Looking at Southsun... In hindsight my computer would have probably exploded. However when LW1 came out I had to make sure I grinded out the achievements in the 2 weeks that the thing was active. In my opinion was the dumbest thing ever. I ended up burning my self out and only made it to the tower of nightmares. I completely missed the BfLA. I ended up quitting for 4 years because of the burn out I had from that style of play. 

tldr: I'm happy they brought it back so I can replay it at a decent pace and not feel rushed.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mouse.4391 said:

For me I started a month after release. I played every day. Sadly because of the "one and done" style they used to have I missed a lot of events in the beginning. Looking at Southsun... In hindsight my computer would have probably exploded. However when LW1 came out I had to make sure I grinded out the achievements in the 2 weeks that the thing was active. In my opinion was the dumbest thing ever. I ended up burning my self out and only made it to the tower of nightmares. I completely missed the BfLA. I ended up quitting for 4 years because of the burn out I had from that style of play. 

tldr: I'm happy they brought it back so I can replay it at a decent pace and not feel rushed.

I'm also happy they did it, not because it matters to me but I know there are a fair few people who do care about it and, well, it's a bit of a thing to new players that there is no LWS1. I'm also happy that it's done now, because what I'm looking forward to is LWS6 or whatever they'll call it.

Cantha has issues with content, particularly replay value and I feel that EoD needs LW chapters more than the other two expansions to make me spend time in Cantha at all. It's just missing the dimension that LW content gives and we've had to wait for it. I don't expect it this year anymore, but hopefully early next year I'll have a reason to go back to Cantha. Factions was my favorite expansion of GW1 after all.

You know the video that was linked says it all, I used to be one of those players in wow always on the treadmill. Had to have the latest and greatest gear and kills, I dedicated my life to raiding and arena , only to have it all nullified in a patch. Not saying wow is a bad game it can be incredibly fun as long as you want to play that way. I got off the treadmill when i came to GW2, at first i was like , wait a second wth is wrong with you people, dont you have any progression! how can you play a game without a progression scale!! Then I figured out that all that stress and cramming to be top in wow and ahead of the curve, was actually unhealthy for me. And i learned to love how GW2 works its better for me now. It wasnt an easy switch i wont lie , I ranted quite a bit about. .well wow does this why cant gw2!!  Thats all over though and I love my happy horizontal game I can still do hardcore stuff but it dont feel like its mandatory and I can relax more.  

• Like 3