World Linking 11/25/2022

Cal Cohen.2358

I am going to be unabashedly salty here. DB has had so many back-to-back links, and it's boring to be with the same server for so many months at a time (and likely our linked servers feel the same way about us!). I thought the whole idea of re-links was to shake things up, get some variety and change! Would it be so hard to put in a criteria in the matchmaking code so that you don't get the same match twice in a row?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

Rewards are only useful within the game. By increasing rewards you're trying to make people come from popular gamemode to unpopular one, rather than making the gamemode better.

Agreed, though I think WvW already is fun. The mode itself is fine, it's mostly the rewards that are not okay. But of course there is room for improvement. Rewards, however, are a low-hanging fruit. You can simply increase them, without altering the overall mechanics of the mode. It won't break anything, so it can just be done.

Overall rewards could be better: If you can make 20 gold an hour (or even only 10 gold!) via fishing, with very little activity and coordination required, why is it so hard to have overall better rewards in WvW?
And then there's the topic of rewards, for winning - or losing events. ESPECIALLY the latter is an issue, as the lack of rewards for failing to do stuff, which is often due to bigger enemy numbers, is additionally demotivating for the losing side. That's simply not how such a system should be designed, you want to keep everyone engaged. The winners AND the losers.

Why can't we have WAY better rewards for people who tag up and generate activity? Give commanders bigger rewards when successfully completing events with their groups. I mean, we already ask people for an investment of quite a few gold coins to be able to tag up in the first place, a clear discouragement, why don't we allow them to make this investment back much more easy AND generate additional activity in the game mode, making it more fun for everyone?

We already have plans for an improvement regarding the population system coming up: Alliances. While I'm not really convinced it'll do as much as we'd need it to do, it might be a step in the right direction for population balance.

The rest ... is the really tricky stuff: IMO the unfun issues lie not necessarily in the overall population balance, but in the fact, that in a specific combat encounter between different groups, numbers matter much more than skill. And changing that IMO cannot simply be done through altering the skills. The skills work fine in PvE, in PvP, in smallscale WvW, the skills themselves are not the issue. It's the effects of mass-combination of skills, which always favor the bigger side. And the more you twist the knob into direction of "skillful" play, meaningful usage of your resources, the less room for error ESPECIALLY the SMALLER party has. How are you supposed to address that through the alteration of the skills (or traits) themselves? IMO this can only be achieved through alteration of overall game mechanics in the mass battle context. Such ideas can involve:

• grace period after a stunbreak, making it impossible to get CCd right away again. The usage of a stunbreak suddenly becomes useful, where it wasn't before
  • iframes after being hit - in a smaller group
  • or diminishing returns for placing powers / attacks on the same target area during a certain (small) timeframe

These ideas would generally lengthen fights (which could in turn be countered by tweaking health numbers or overall attack modifiers), however these features would benefit smaller groups facing bigger groups proportionally more: During a bomb / push a bigger portion of the group could be subject to grace periods, while on the other side, attacks from the smaller group against the bigger group would likely find additional targets, not subject to iframes, reduced attack values or grace periods. All that without altering the skills overall.

But, clearly such changes are not easy to omplement as they have a rather large impact on the overall system (and likely would be placed somewhere more centrally in the code, creating additional dangers during programming and implementation). 

All this could make it more fun to fight even in more unbalanced scenarios, making transfers less likely and thus benefitting the population situation overall in the end. In the end we might have way less discussions about WvW relinking issue (or in the future: Alliance Team assembly)

Asking to delete servers... while they're already working on a system that pretty much does just that.

I mean if you guys really want I suppose they could just stop relink, take off the link names in matchups, and pretend it's one server. 🤷‍♂️

Then y'all will come right back and cry about imbalance in a month.

23 hours ago, Enirehtac.1245 said:

We did, only ONE time that I recall in 4 years. Was Jade (if I'm not wrong). I completely agree with you, I really wish they give us a chance to play with other servers

If the French can be linked with English/mixed EU servers or the Germans, the Spanish can be too.
For them it would actually be a social experience. Right now (AG+RS vs GD vs BB) I see BB gaining during the "South American Timeslot" but gets gutted when the EU is awake. I am sure AG night teams would find it interesting to have Mexican allies during their late ours.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

f the French can be linked with English/mixed EU servers or the Germans, the Spanish can be too.

yeah would be a lovely experience, I'm not sure if Jade (if that was the server, tbh I dont remember well) enjoyed being linked with us, but I would be nice if we get the chance again. 

30 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

Mexican allies

btw, Latin america aint only Mexico, only in our guild we have ppl of 8 different countries (beautifull, differnent countries). But I totally understand that some ppl have dificulties with that and just go with the 'mexican' thing, which is super fun, specially when ppl whisper insults, like 'taco' as if we would get offended by that, it's like saying baguette to a german... hahahaha  (NO offence intended to French or German, just a funny example :P)

I tried to bring the topic in our forum, but ES forum is more DEAD than our server, I appreciate all the ppl that have talked about this here and there and I hope Anet see it and do something some day :classic_unsure:

1 hour ago, Gorani.7205 said:

Brazilian samba

That's the only country I don't have in the guild... and I would love to have at least one. The few Brazilians I meet in the server are lone wolfs, one day I'll get one! We are full of Argentinians and Chileans, some from different central america countries and so. It's very fun how certain words can have a completely different meaning depending on the country... ok I need to work and I'm just procastinating here. bye

On 11/28/2022 at 5:08 PM, Enirehtac.1245 said:

That's the only country I don't have in the guild... and I would love to have at least one. The few Brazilians I meet in the server are lone wolfs, one day I'll get one! We are full of Argentinians and Chileans, some from different central america countries and so. It's very fun how certain words can have a completely different meaning depending on the country... ok I need to work and I'm just procastinating here. bye

Considering the ping from Brazil to EU server is around 300ms, I'm suprised you even got to see a few... Most just play on NA where the ping is only half bad (around 150ms)

Granted, the other SA countries also have the same bad ping, but you have much more spanish speaking people on EU than portuguese speaking (to not mention Portugal PT is kinda different compared to PT-BR)

Edited by Jeknar.6184

On 11/28/2022 at 10:08 PM, Enirehtac.1245 said:

That's the only country I don't have in the guild... and I would love to have at least one. The few Brazilians I meet in the server are lone wolfs, one day I'll get one! We are full of Argentinians and Chileans, some from different central america countries and so.

Brazil is Portuguese speaking country while chile, mexico and argentina are spanish speaking.

21 hours ago, Jeknar.6184 said:

300ms

I play at a average of 150 here, at blobs I can get veryyy laggy but im used to it. Many friends have moved to NA because of the ping but most of them have told me that the lvl aint a good as in EU.

21 hours ago, Jeknar.6184 said:

you have much more spanish speaking people on EU

Indeed many ppl join baruch just because its 'spanish speaking' server, but again I think this have come against us as we're an isolated server

YB getting linked with Mag is such a bad idea. Each time I visit WvW, I see all 3 borderlands in our color. There is no content and most keeps across all 3 borderlands have already been upgraded to Tier 3 and Mag guilds have already sieged them like crazy that enemies wouldn't even dare to cap them back. 

Please stop giving Magumma a link server. It's not fun playing against them and it is certainly not fun playing alongside them. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 3:30 PM, Cal Cohen.2358 said:

Here are the worlds for EU:

• Augury Rock (FR), Arborstone (FR)
  • Aurora Glade (EN), Riverside (DE)
  • Baruch Bay (SP)
  • Desolation (EN), Fissure of Woe (EN)
  • Drakkar Lake (DE), Vizunah Square (FR)
  • Elona Reach (DE)
  • Far Shiverpeaks (EN), Kodash (DE)
  • Gandara (EN)
  • Gunnar's Hold (EN), Ruins of Surmia (EN)
  • Miller's Sound (DE), Fort Ranik (FR)
  • Piken Square (EN), Abaddon's Mouth (DE)
  • Ring of Fire (EN), Vabbi (EN)
  • Seafarer's Rest (EN), Dzagonur (DE)
  • Underworld (EN), Blacktide (EN)
  • Whiteside Ridge (EN), Jade Sea (FR)

Here are the worlds for NA:

• Blackgate, Kaineng
  • Darkhaven, Anvil Rock
  • Fort Aspenwood, Ferguson's Crossing
  • Gate of Madness, Borlis Pass
  • Isle of Janthir, Devona's Rest
  • Jade Quarry, Ehmry Bay
  • Maguuma, Yak's Bend
  • Northern Shiverpeaks, Crystal Desert
  • Sanctum of Rall, Dragonbrand
  • Sea of Sorrows, Henge of Denravi
  • Stormbluff Isle, Sorrow's Furnace
  • Tarnished Coast, Eredon Terrace

Hey guys, 

• "Sea of Sorrows, Henge of Denravi" - are green now as "Maguuma, Yak's Bend" are blue, etc? (to me understand this link).

15 minutes ago, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

Hey guys, 

• "Sea of Sorrows, Henge of Denravi" - are green now as "Maguuma, Yak's Bend" are blue, etc? (to me understand this link).

Servers are ranked.  Green in Tier 1 is the first place server.  Blue in Tier 1 is the 2nd place server.  Red in Tier 1 is the 3rd place server.  Green in Tier 2 is the 4th place server.  Blue in Tier 2 is the 5th place server.  Etc.  The server that won the match in Tier 2 moved up to 3rd place in the "one up one down" system.

In Tier 1, two servers always stay the same because there's no Tier above 1 for the first place server to move up to.  In Tier 4, two servers always stay the same because there's no Tier below 4 for the last place server to move down to.  Ties will also result in two servers staying the same from one match to another.

"In 2017, Anet implemented a 1-up, 1-down system, where a match's 1st place team (with the most world score) would go up a tier, 2nd place would stay in their current tier, and 3rd place would go down a tier. In the next match, the server that moved up is designated the Red team, the server that stayed is the Blue team, and the server that went down a tier is designated Green team. The server at the top of each tier is designated Green team."

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World#Matchmaking

Edited by Chaba.5410

Maguuma should've been used to prop up low-population servers so they can get some genuine WvW fun every now and then, not be constantly linked with servers that result in such "fun" and "competitive" results:

https://tinypic.host/i/totally-balanced.b33wQ

https://tinypic.host/i/totally-balanced2.b35BA 

Oh well, at least there's the new Dwarf Fortress UI to figure out instead.

Good job, Anet. Make sure you keep them open for transfers till at least the end of this link, that is sure to milk all the server hopper gem purchases. Not like the state of WvW matters from a player's perspective, I'm sure the Alliances will fix it Soon™ /s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1