Weekly skirmish chests still take WAY too long

Player.2475

I started playing WvW in February and ever since then I've managed to complete 2 legendary accessories and 1 legendary armor set. I've gotten to Silver by spamming all possible exp boosters whenever I played WvW and made sure to complete Diamond 6 every week.

I was perfectly fine with the inhumane investment of 20 hours into a losing matchup every week thanks to poor matchmaking balance, because I was a fresh graduate who had just finished his degree and was looking for work, so I had so much free time to spare every week. I even used to dismiss people who complained about the 440 hours investment for one legendary set as being too much.

Now that I got a job, I have to say, I feel terrible. Even with the +3 extra pips I get from commitment and ranks, it feels like I would have to spend literally all of my free time in WvW just to get that Diamond 6 chest. I shudder to think how bad it is for people that haven't invested 700 + hours in WvW, or how bad it was for people that were playing WvW when it still  took 40 hours per week to reach Diamond 6.
The worst part is that the only way to reduce that weekly investment by another hour would be to reach Gold rank, but by the time I reach Gold, I'll have enough skirmish tickets for every single legendary available in WvW.

All I have to say is, what were they thinking?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

just because you gotta invest more time , doesn't mean you can't get those skirm chest , also since ur at the point of making legendarys , mean your pretty wealthy right ? all you have to do is spend 300 gold to buy a comm tag , and tag up , easy free 3 more pipes , with this out of the way , i didn't see people who complain about this , i mean you legit don't need legendarys as fast as you can , so you can get ecceptged into content , u can go with exotic gear fresh level into raids and it wont matter as long as you got a decent team , i know ur frustrated cause it takes too long , but ur just nitpicking here brother.

The fundamental problem of WvW is that there is no coherent concept of how rewards are given out and what you can do with them once you have them. You are describing a part of the problem (I agree with): If you have a life outside of playing WvW (a job, family, other hobbies etc.), even trying to go to Diamond each week takes an unhealthy amount of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denver.4621 said:

just because you gotta invest more time , doesn't mean you can't get those skirm chest , also since ur at the point of making legendarys , mean your pretty wealthy right ? all you have to do is spend 300 gold to buy a comm tag , and tag up , easy free 3 more pipes , with this out of the way , i didn't see people who complain about this , i mean you legit don't need legendarys as fast as you can , so you can get ecceptged into content , u can go with exotic gear fresh level into raids and it wont matter as long as you got a decent team , i know ur frustrated cause it takes too long , but ur just nitpicking here brother.

Commander tags are iffy. You need 10+ people to follow you, and even if your squad was big enough for your entire playtime, it would only shave off 2-3 hours of weekly playtime.
The investment for getting WvW legendaries is still much longer than PvE. I can get around 5-10% (if it's your first Envoy or second) of the tokens required for my PvE legendary within 3 hours of playing every week, but WvW takes me at least 12 hours for 5% even under ideal circumstances.

12 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Luckily all those rewards are completely optional, so everyone can just go for them at their own pace, play the game like they want to, have fun and enjoy free rewards on top.

Yeah, but right now the rewards are also backloaded, so you get ~40% of tickets for 50% of your playtime. It'd be more forgiving for people that can't make WvW their full time job if they at least got 60% of the tickets for 50% of the time.

Since more casual players with RL responsibilities can easily reach Bronze every week, it'd help if 'Commitment' stacked up to a point, so it would get easier to get more rewards with every subsequent week you play.

5 hours ago, Player.2475 said:

I started playing WvW in February and ever since then I've managed to complete 2 legendary accessories and 1 legendary armor set. I've gotten to Silver by spamming all possible exp boosters whenever I played WvW and made sure to complete Diamond 6 every week.

I was perfectly fine with the inhumane investment of 20 hours into a losing matchup every week thanks to poor matchmaking balance, because I was a fresh graduate who had just finished his degree and was looking for work, so I had so much free time to spare every week. I even used to dismiss people who complained about the 440 hours investment for one legendary set as being too much.

Now that I got a job, I have to say, I feel terrible. Even with the +3 extra pips I get from commitment and ranks, it feels like I would have to spend literally all of my free time in WvW just to get that Diamond 6 chest. I shudder to think how bad it is for people that haven't invested 700 + hours in WvW, or how bad it was for people that were playing WvW when it still  took 40 hours per week to reach Diamond 6.
The worst part is that the only way to reduce that weekly investment by another hour would be to reach Gold rank, but by the time I reach Gold, I'll have enough skirmish tickets for every single legendary available in WvW.

All I have to say is, what were they thinking?

🙂 Let me give you a different view than. My original group entering WvW from another WvW style game that let you rank up entirely through WvW from rank 1 without ever entering PvE started at the min level in white gear. Of course we got smashed. And then smashed and then again. But we found we could still rank up but we also realized that the system in place here didn't do that great a job of balancing  and had to adjust quite a bit. We found that green gear helped and things started getting better.

After that finding out that Exotic was the baseline it didn't take long and ranks helped alot. We didn't even get to Ascended until joining another group that were doing Fractals and we started doing some PvXing versus just all WvWing. Leggo wasn't even an option for years in WvW and since it was the same stats as ascended what did it matter. Some of us still started it after we got the option to do so and were planning on it taking years to outfit the number of toons. Then we get the armory and find we are done. So now some of us are left with the what nowisms.

So your answer is ANet was thinking that Leggo is end game material. They have already shortened the time it takes quite a number of times. I will complain about rewards in WvW being the lowest of game modes but it does gives you means to outfit your toons in Exotic and Ascended, and then now a day in Leggo. But no, sorry based on the past Leggo is still rather easy now, especially after the armory. Being in the prior discussions about Leggo armor even getting a chance to come to WvW versus making us try and deal with raids, still good that it meant it would take us longer to get it versus having to leave the game mode to acquire it. That was one of the trade offs discussed prior to it coming to WvW. Since it required less coordination it would require more time, that was a fine trade off. Still good with that. 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
key combo saved early
  • Thanks 2

If we count an armor piece from complete scratch, with no materials period... 

How long would it take you to get those materials? kitten just looking at the memories, that's 7 weeks compared to the 4 weeks or whatever it is to gather the skirmish claim tickets. Yeah you can buy them for gold, sure. But then you need that gold. 400g in WvW is what, like half a year of playing casually lol?

Yet people complain about literally the simplest resource in the legendary armor crafting.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

People were playing before skirmish tracks existed. While skirmish tracks could be sped up in terms of reaching weekly cap (i.e. not removing the cap but increasing the pip rate), I don't think it's in Arenanet's best interest (other than server load perhaps). Thursdays the matchups generally have died down already.

The rewards aren't linear but they are not 100% backloaded because it takes less pips to finish the initial wood, bronze, silver, gold chests. If you do half the cap a week it's around platinum. see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Skirmish_reward_track_pips_vs_tickets.png

If you just want legendary armor I would advise playing PVE raids (especially now that emboldened has been added).

---

On 12/10/2022 at 11:11 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Emblems -> Tickets. Problem solved.

That only helps people in WvW exclusively that want the tickets. In addition if the weekly cap is removed you present a severe devaluation of the accountbound currency.

Instead memories of battle should be the focus of rewards (maybe add to the daily chest or well defended T3 keep caps) since there is a lack of parity between memories of battle and skirmish tickets.
---

@roederich.2716Still less than spamming 1 in a circle in PVE. Diminishing returns and all.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:09 AM, roederich.2716 said:

well if anet speeds up the chest gain all people who are already diamon legend 10k rank who already get more pips will just loot their pockets full 😄

Edited by Infusion.7149

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

People were playing before skirmish tracks existed. While skirmish tracks could be sped up in terms of reaching weekly cap (i.e. not removing the cap but increasing the pip rate), I don't think it's in Arenanet's best interest (other than server load perhaps). Thursdays the matchups generally have died down already.

The rewards aren't linear but they are not 100% backloaded because it takes less pips to finish the initial wood, bronze, silver, gold chests. If you do half the cap a week it's around platinum. see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Skirmish_reward_track_pips_vs_tickets.png

If you just want legendary armor I would advise playing PVE raids (especially now that emboldened has been added).

---

That only helps people in WvW exclusively that want the tickets. In addition if the weekly cap is removed you present a severe devaluation of the accountbound currency.

Instead memories of battle should be the focus of rewards (maybe add to the daily chest or well defended T3 keep caps) since there is a lack of parity between memories of battle and skirmish tickets.
---

@roederich.2716Still less than spamming 1 in a circle in PVE. Diminishing returns and all.

You should know my comment history on the matter. The emblems need a weekly/daily vendor to keep a cap in place of some sort. Tickets should also be exchangable with MoBs.