Why are so many people allowed to troll on these forums?

6 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why should searching, and finding, previous threads necessitate a necro?  If a person actually searches and reads the previous threads, then there may well be no reason to post in them to necro them as their point has already been made by someone else (see the race change thread on the front page now, which has added nothing new to the previous conversations on the topic).

I personally think it's partly because reading is effort and asking and recieving answers is not. Search engines these days are advanced enough that asking them a question often result directly in an answer and less and less something you need to read to find one. People are just used to that interaction. 

On the point if being called out for saying you would rather have resources spent elsewhere. I don't understand what people are expecting here. It almost feels like people expect that if you don't want to positively comment on their ides then you shouldnt comment at all. It's an open forum and nobody should expect an echo chamber.  It's also a short and to the point rely instead of getting into one of those back and forths where it boils down to two people refusing to agree to disagree and ends up in a "[idea] , [reply why someone thinks idea isn't that great], my idea is great and you are just wrong / a troll".  I get it, not all ideas are great and being told stings. But people need to realise if you ask for opinions not all of them will be positive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why should searching, and finding, previous threads necessitate a necro?  If a person actually searches and reads the previous threads, then there may well be no reason to post in them to necro them as their point has already been made by someone else (see the race change thread on the front page now, which has added nothing new to the previous conversations on the topic).

Doesn't matter what it adds, it just means there is still interest in the idea. That in and of itself is an important reason to post.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's what the "like" emoticon is for.

Great. Lemme just "like" a post from a year ago. That's a great way to represent my viewpoint, because I trust Anet reps and players to read old threads to check for new waves of support /s

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, flyingplanet.6912 said:

I think you are contradicting yourself? I am too expressing my opinion to the OP's question on why he should use forum over reddit. In reddit however, there are karma system in which if you get downvoted too much, you get punished by not allowing to post in reddit. (especially in more popular reddit forums.) 
The point is there is "punishment" in getting downvoted  in reddit but not in gw2 forum. Probably this is the reason why you see more constructive discussions going on at this forum. Some can be combative but that's what forum moderators are here for. They delete posts that are too aggressive. 

I think reddit is pretty biased when I see daily new player/thank you/player from wow or ff14 posts. I see a pattern here you know?

I'm not contradicting myself at all, you're just not extropolating the value of the other system.

You're right, anyone can say anything here, and those posts don't get downvoted and disappear. Instead, they fill the front page for days on end, even if the post is something I'd personally consider a waste of time to discuss and, I believe, most of the community would feel that way. 

I personally get more value out of reddit, because the community weeds through a lot of the nonsense and repetitive posts, that don't get weeded out here.  There are plenty of them.  At the end of the day, my time on reddit gives me more information pertient to my interests than my time here, because stuff I don't care about isn't taking up valuable front page space.

Obviously that's a personal preference on my part, but I use both. Reddit is much better because of their system than this system for me personally. YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Don't you have to have a GW2 account to post on the forums?  AFAIK reddit doesn't require this?

Sure you do.  That said, you don't have to currently play to get a guild wars 2 account. Tons of guild wars 2 accounts were given away for free in various promotions in the last couple of years. I was talking casually not literally. I'm saying anyone posting here can say anything they like whether it has any value or not, any truth or not, but on reddit, those posts tend to disappear. 

It wasn't a comment on who can use the forums. It was a comment on the way the systems work on the two different formats.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Adding a new voice to a request, increasing the amount of support for an idea, does.

Again, that's what the "like" button is for.  No need to create yet another thread on a topic which lends nothing new to the conversation that has been discussed ad nauseam.

• Like 2
  • Confused 11

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Again, that's what the "like" button is for.  No need to create yet another thread on a topic which lends nothing new to the conversation that has been discussed ad nauseam.

A new voice, by definition, is something new being added.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

If I can read a name on the forum and know their response before reading it, I figure that person is fair game for ridicule. Bonus points if said person gives low effort responses like "I prefer resources to be spent elsewhere", or "This thread has been posted before". Unhelpful responses like this are kinda off topic, encourages necro'ing threads (which I believe is against the rules), and generally gets pretty grating after awhile.

The fact that everyone knows exactly who you're talking about says it all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

A new voice, by definition, is something new being added.

Six people who all say the same thing is not making a new point; rather, it's just six people saying the same thing -- which is nothing new.  Adding yet another voice with the same point is not making anything new.

Whatever.  I'll continue to report duplicates and necros and let the mods sort it out.

• Like 6
  • Confused 11

4 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

I think it’s more of a disagreement over what’s being used as a basis for those opinions rather than simply having different opinion. 

Exactly. Any discussion about opinion is mostly about "what that opinion is based on", not about "someone not being able to feel whatever they feel". If someone isn't interested in discussing the reasoning, they might as well just write "I feel... [xyz]" and... not discuss anything further.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2