PvP is dead

Khalgir.3862

8 hours ago, Khalgir.3862 said:

This game has so many blind fanboys; it is ridiculous. ANet just does not care about pvp: people afk and wintrade all the time without being banned, same players every game, still bots, and terrible matchmaking. 

Anet not focusing on PvP is an age old problem.  I'm not sure what that has to do with fan boys.

The fact is, the game was designed as a PvE game, and though it had a PvP department from early on, it was never the success in this game PvE was. If I was, it would have gotten more attention.  This doesn't have anything to do with fan bois. It has to do with business.

Since most of the players are PvEers, the PvP scene just doesn't affect us as much and why should it? We don't play it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I agree that pvp is dead in Gw2.
My friend has now arrived as a f2ß player in the ranked.
Is pvp lvl 21 and had played 2 games and is extremely disappointed. 100 to 500 both lost ore win.
He once read that gw2 used to e-sport for long time.
Can not imagine with the catastrophic matchmaking.

Edited by Prostyler.9658
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/29/2022 at 8:20 AM, Khalgir.3862 said:

This game has so many blind fanboys; it is ridiculous. ANet just does not care about pvp: people afk and wintrade all the time without being banned, same players every game, still bots, and terrible matchmaking. 

I complete several hundred games most seasons... tbh I'm a little addicted (and a bit coocoo). 

Say what you want about the game.. I'm having fun on it and a lot of other players do too. The players with multiple alts are the ones who are the most passionate about the game. All that said  a small player pool is never healthy. Anet can do very little about that.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

Anet not focusing on PvP is an age old problem.  I'm not sure what that has to do with fan boys.

The fact is, the game was designed as a PvE game, and though it had a PvP department from early on, it was never the success in this game PvE was. If I was, it would have gotten more attention.  This doesn't have anything to do with fan bois. It has to do with business.

Since most of the players are PvEers, the PvP scene just doesn't affect us as much and why should it? We don't play it.

Guild Wars 1 was designed with pve at the forefront and is touted as having excellent pvp.

Guild wars 2 was actually designed with pvp at the forefront and failed miserably in execution. Then the direction was changed to focusing on PVE after the esports failure in Heart of Thorns. Rhe poster child of the failure of esports being culminated within the poster child class of the game. The unique (d&d bard) mesmer class, specifically chronomancer. The idea of watching everyone playing bunker and fighting over 3 nodes that couldn't be flipped did not make for exciting gameplay to watch or play.

Path of fire then went the opposite route in having pvp turn into everyone building for speed and bursting people down in half a second or less while the actual conquest game mode was played by scourge and firebrand duos.

End of dragons, believe it or not, has the most sane "balance" this game has ever had which is still too little far, too late.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Guild Wars 1 was designed with pve at the forefront and is touted as having excellent pvp.

Guild wars 2 was actually designed with pvp at the forefront and failed miserably in execution. Then the direction was changed to focusing on PVE after the esports failure in Heart of Thorns. Rhe poster child of the failure of esports being culminated within the poster child class of the game. The unique (d&d bard) mesmer class, specifically chronomancer. The idea of watching everyone playing bunker and fighting over 3 nodes that couldn't be flipped did not make for exciting gameplay to watch or play.

Path of fire then went the opposite route in having pvp turn into everyone building for speed and bursting people down in half a second or less while the actual conquest game mode was played by scourge and firebrand duos.

End of dragons, believe it or not, has the most sane "balance" this game has ever had which is still too little far, too late.

You have it backwards.  GW 1 was designed with a PvP end game which is why it had so many PvP formats in it, and kept adding more.   The devs themselves said the end game was supposed to originally be PvP and they were shocked at how much time people spent in PvE, so they changed course.

Before Guild Wars 2 came out, there was a convention in Germany where devs on a panel talked about Guild Wars 2 and why they spent a year talking about PvE before really mentioning PvP. It was because a lot of people assumed the game was PvP based due at least in part to the name of the game, and Anet wanted to make sure people knew that PvE was a huge part of this game.

This was couldn't have been designed around PvP,  at least not SPvP.  It was probably mostly designed around PvE and WvW.  SPvP still only started with one single game type, no ladder, no leaderboard. It's not how you design a PvP game.

Virtually every update that came out with a PvE update as well.   I suppose it's possible you're right, but all I remember for all the time I've been here is PvP people complaining that PvE players get all of the love.  WvW players too. 

I seldom here PvE players saying that PvP gets all the love.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

This was couldn't have been designed around PvP,  at least not SPvP.  It was probably mostly designed around PvE and WvW. 

The gameplay was really design around PVP. That's why endgame pve at launch was clunky until HoT when they start caring about PVE.

I belive every prof balance update before HoT was about PvP (not 100% sure) and there was actualy a leaderboard (a Bad one)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well, we cant deny that, sad part is anet doing nothing about it. 

Yes, we having the balance patches, but there's no massive pve development since eod release, maybe we back to 6 month patches when another LWS started being  developed

Nothing has been done about pvp exploits which ruined pvp the most fir the last 2-3 years, even the last wave of bans just happned cuz teapot made a big exposed video, cuz if it wasnt that those ppl would get away with that gizmo rmt

On 12/30/2022 at 2:12 AM, Vayne.8563 said:

What to do with fanboys?Do you know in gaming as much you dont critize something they double down.And unfortunately GW2 community become more and more casual.Toxic positivity as much or worse as toxic negativity.And all good reviews about this goes to open pve.And when it comes to other modes this Payed shills ignored they are even exist.İts like paying a full price meal but when it comes only 3/1 is good and other half covered with fungus.Fanboys of this game clapping Eod for cutting content from game."Oh U know raids isn't that important,oh you know fractals isnt that important,oh you know pvp isnt that important ,oh you know wvw not that important."Legit you can sell them snake oil everyday.We purchasing 2 expansion with full of raids,fractals and other content with same price with EoD.Thats why I still refusing to buy EoD.Because after paying them money they dont care what u gonna say.Because of that they rotate to make new classes busted like this so we need to purchase EoD for relevant in pvp and raids.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

The gameplay was really design around PVP. That's why endgame pve at launch was clunky until HoT when they start caring about PVE.

I belive every prof balance update before HoT was about PvP (not 100% sure) and there was actualy a leaderboard (a Bad one)

Thanks for the follow up. This is exactly what I was conveying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

So why was there so much PvE and 1 type of SPvP with no ladder, and no leaderboard at launch?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Carnage.6751 said:

What to do with fanboys?Do you know in gaming as much you dont critize something they double down.And unfortunately GW2 community become more and more casual.Toxic positivity as much or worse as toxic negativity.And all good reviews about this goes to open pve.And when it comes to other modes this Payed shills ignored they are even exist.İts like paying a full price meal but when it comes only 3/1 is good and other half covered with fungus.Fanboys of this game clapping Eod for cutting content from game."Oh U know raids isn't that important,oh you know fractals isnt that important,oh you know pvp isnt that important ,oh you know wvw not that important."Legit you can sell them snake oil everyday.We purchasing 2 expansion with full of raids,fractals and other content with same price with EoD.Thats why I still refusing to buy EoD.Because after paying them money they dont care what u gonna say.Because of that they rotate to make new classes busted like this so we need to purchase EoD for relevant in pvp and raids.

Or, less people like PvE than you think they do, and always have.  It's never that you're in the minority, it's always the majority who's wrong.  We didn't have raids at launch at all.  Fractals are a good part of the game but the game didn't launch with them. THey were added a couple of months later.  And whether you personally have a specific desire for the game, doesn't mean other people don't like hte game the way it is.  I don't believe more people raid than don't raid. I believe most people don't raid.  You think that's a bad thing. 

But I never said any of it wasn't important.  I said it wasn't the focus of the company.  I think it's obvious it wasn't the focus of the company. I'm sorry you want it to be, but that doesn't change reality.  At the end of the day I can disagree with you and be right without being a fanboy or toxicly positive.

I didn't say it was a good thing that PvP doesnt' get enough attention. I did point out it doesn't get enough attention.  If you think that's posivity, that's on you mate.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

So why was there so much PvE and 1 type of SPvP with no ladder, and no leaderboard at launch?

it's easier to sell a mmo with pve that's a fact.

There was a leaderboard but not a ladder I belive. But the leaderboard was bad, I remember be in top 5 just by doing like 10 match when it was of full people with 100+ match.

I don't remember exactly when but the pvp  start to be in ESL in early day of gw2. I don't belive a mmo focus on pve can be in ESL that easely but I can be wrong

34 minutes ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

it's easier to sell a mmo with pve that's a fact.

There was a leaderboard but not a ladder I belive. But the leaderboard was bad, I remember be in top 5 just by doing like 10 match when it was of full people with 100+ match.

I don't remember exactly when but the pvp  start to be in ESL in early day of gw2. I don't belive a mmo focus on pve can be in ESL that easely but I can be wrong

They talked about wanting to do the ESL thing early on, but it didn't eventuate that early on.  The game launched in 2012 and I think it was 3 years before the ESL push.  I know in 2016 there was a GW 2 world championship tournament in conjunction with the SL but that was 4 years after launch. How could that possibly be the focus of the game that launched with 1500 plus dynamic events and 25 dungeon paths?  And fractals were added only three months or so after launch.

Guild Wars 1 devs moved away from PvP and into PVE because they realized the money was in PvE. Why would they make a sequel focused on something other than where the money was?