[Bug] Mirror Blade's Bounce Behavior

LuxRoy.9230

I have been toiling over mirror blade for some years now (admittedly on and off) about how it bounces. Some players in high PVE endgame have noticed that GS2 will sometimes just "lose" bounces. 

A similar skill from the same profession which also bounces between enemies and allies and gives boons, Winds of chaos (staff 1) will never bounce between 2 allies. Trident 1 Siren's Call also has the same behaviour.

But Mirror blade's bounce uses a priority list, like applying boons, where players have priority over pets or minions or clones. The problem with this is that players and enemies have the same "priority", the game will use proximity as a deciding factor to figure out where the bounce should go.

Even this behaviour is inconsistent. Sometimes clones will simply intercept the gs2 bounce and "steal" a bounce.

In instanced content this is especially horrible and makes greatsword-using specs like pchrono or pvirt especially unreliable and way weaker than people think. On a raid boss it is not rare to get around 2 hits per cast average (max is 4) just because the sheer amount of allies (may it be players, pets, kalla spirits, clones, etc). Even against the golem, where you are alone, it is easy to miss a few hits of gs2 just because of clones and phantasms.
It would be amazing if you could change gs2's bounce to work like staff 1 or trident 1, where it would never bounce between 2 allies thus guaranteeing the maximum amount of hits per cast.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 20

On 1/19/2023 at 8:05 PM, Justine.6351 said:

Think the skill should be selfish and only hit and bounce between the target and the mesmer.

I think I get what you mean. Like instead of it targeting distance radially from the player it would stay within say a rectangle between the player and its target and only "bounce" to targets within the rectangle. Seems like that might not be a bad idea. I duno if it would work but I know they do have rectangular target areas that get used on other stuff and some skills like scepter 3 that is multi-target but only between the 2 points. Not sure if targets could be limited like that. Its a neat idea imo.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, Moradorin.6217 said:

Like instead of it targeting distance radially from the player

The bounce has a 600 unit range from where it bounces not from the player. So if you gs2 an enemy only things within 600 unit of that enemy will be in range of that particular bounce

Edited by LuxRoy.9230

• 3 weeks later...

Truth be told bouncing blades had problems when they decided to add more bounces to it. Then as time goes as they do some dumb changes the skill itself became more wonky. I'm not sure if the devs who code these know what they are doing when doing balance changes but it seems everytime there is a balance change some other skills goes haywire. 

• 1 month later...

Can we also acknowledge sword three not landing and being wonky af as a leap skill.   Like sometimes you’ll bounce up instead of leaping and if there is any elevation you’ll more then likely miss the target altogether even tho landing right next to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/29/2023 at 5:32 AM, dead.7638 said:

Also gs2 is a big part of your burst.   That not landing is huge.   Same with sword 3 that can be a 4-6 k hit that never lands.

Combo that with Aussie ping...I have hardly ever landed that sword 3. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...