Can the dwarves be restored?

Druintyr.6932

I'm aware of Anets lack of a desire to add any new races to the game ,but I stated to ponder from a lore perspective if the dwarves could ever be restored. Reverse the Rite of the Great Dwarf ,and start anew. Rebuild their society as it once was before the transformation. Does such a power even exist that could do this? Maybe Aurene since she has shown an interest in repairing what the elder dragons have done. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject.

9 hours ago, Druintyr.6932 said:

I'm aware of Anets lack of a desire to add any new races to the game ,but I stated to ponder from a lore perspective if the dwarves could ever be restored. Reverse the Rite of the Great Dwarf ,and start anew. Rebuild their society as it once was before the transformation. Does such a power even exist that could do this? Maybe Aurene since she has shown an interest in repairing what the elder dragons have done. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject.

There are some Deldrimor dwarves that help out in DRMs. They still exist, but I think they're taking a backseat until Anet decides what to do with them. 

Not sure what Aurene has to do with them tho, the Dwarves are turned to stone due to their king's, their own magic. 

Edited by Yasai.3549

The Dwarves went through a permanent change. Unless Deus ex Aurene has a way of reversing that then the Dwarves will remain stone, and thus no new Dwarves will ever be born. Their population will dwindle, they will erode with time, and only their memory will remain.

We may see them arise to the surface more now that only Aurene is left as an ED, we may even see them reclaim some of their mountain homes, but they will fade, unless the Rite of the Great Dwarf had an expiration date on it set by the death of Primordus. If that were the case then you would have seen that at the end of the Icebrood Saga, so is unlikely.

This would not be the first time an elder race of Tyria faded and was gone, the Mursaat, Seers, and Forgotten are gone. The Jotun stubbornly hold on but will too one day be gone. The Ogre and Grawl living so close to nature will hold on so long as the other races do not sprawl, but we know they will. The Centaurs have shown an ability to live where others will not or cannot and will begrudgingly move to areas that are not hospitable to the other races.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The Dwarves went through a permanent change. Unless Deus ex Aurene has a way of reversing that then the Dwarves will remain stone, and thus no new Dwarves will ever be born. Their population will dwindle, they will erode with time, and only their memory will remain.

We may see them arise to the surface more now that only Aurene is left as an ED, we may even see them reclaim some of their mountain homes, but they will fade, unless the Rite of the Great Dwarf had an expiration date on it set by the death of Primordus. If that were the case then you would have seen that at the end of the Icebrood Saga, so is unlikely.

This would not be the first time an elder race of Tyria faded and was gone, the Mursaat, Seers, and Forgotten are gone. The Jotun stubbornly hold on but will too one day be gone. The Ogre and Grawl living so close to nature will hold on so long as the other races do not sprawl, but we know they will. The Centaurs have shown an ability to live where others will not or cannot and will begrudgingly move to areas that are not hospitable to the other races.  

SPOILERS FOR PATH OF FIRE

We could technically count the Human Gods as their own race so that's another one gone.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

There are some Deldrimor dwarves that help out in DRMs. They still exist, but I think they're taking a backseat until Anet decides what to do with them. 

Not sure what Aurene has to do with them tho, the Dwarves are turned to stone due to their king's, their own magic. 

Sorry I should have clarified what I meant about Aurene ,and the Dwarves. They did the Rite of the Great Dwarf to themselves true ,but it was because of Primordus. So I thought maybe Aurene would help them since it was done to fight an elder dragon ,and she has shown a desire to clean up after them. 

11 hours ago, Mara.6782 said:

Tyria planet is big. Anet can always bring back races that are thought to be extinct. There can be other dwarfes than deldrimor and stone summit. 

I think the main reason the devs don't want to bring Dwarves back is because they're overdone in every other game. They've shown in the past they want to keep this game a "distinct flavour", which is why we have the Asura who are an amelgation of traditional Dwarves, Gnomes and Goblins.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 1:57 AM, Druintyr.6932 said:

There's no indication to incline that they can be made flesh and bone again, or even if they were that there would be enough dwarves to repopulate the species without genetic inbreeding issues popping up within a few generations.
Additionally, the entire purpose of the Rite of the Great Dwarf was the 2008-2012 era writers wanting to very literally write off the dwarves as being a major force in Tyria, or a possible playable race, ever again. It was, very much, an extinction event. Though new writers may want to change this, it'd be hard to do so without some serious asspullery going on, both to explain how stone can become flesh, and how they can so easily repopulate when their numbers are so thin.

Plus there's the true nightmare of dwarves who have chipped or eroded and thus losing some of their body being turned back to flesh. I mean, I'm pretty sure Rhoban has no desire to become flesh and blood once again, given that as just a head, he'd die almost immediately.

Not sure how Aurene can make them flesh again - they weren't turned to stone by the Elder Dragons, and she only knows how to crystallize things. If any dues ex machina would occur to that makes dwarves flesh again, it'd probably be Dwayna, whom the dwarves once worshiped as well as Grenth and the Great Dwarf

On 1/26/2023 at 2:57 AM, Logan.4796 said:

Pretty sure the Kodan are modern dwarves

Kodan aren't nordic inspired, bearded, or alchoholics with taste of adventure and forging.

Norn, however, are.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, Druintyr.6932 said:

Sorry I should have clarified what I meant about Aurene ,and the Dwarves. They did the Rite of the Great Dwarf to themselves true ,but it was because of Primordus. So I thought maybe Aurene would help them since it was done to fight an elder dragon ,and she has shown a desire to clean up after them. 

They underwent the Rite because of Primordus' - or rather, Primordus' champion's - rise, but Primordus didn't actually do anything to them. That was their own choice and action, which is a far cry from Aurene purifying dragon corruption.

15 hours ago, Mara.6782 said:

Tyria planet is big. Anet can always bring back races that are thought to be extinct. There can be other dwarfes than deldrimor and stone summit. 

This would conflict with lore a bit, however, because all dwarves - even those who didn't want to - turned to stone eventually. As showcased in the journals found in Fire and Steel strike + Darkrime Delves story mission, the Stone Summit there absolutely refused to return to the fold and undergo the Rite. They still turned to stone. It was only by channeling Primordus' power and becoming warped and corrupted did they not join the hivemind of the stone dwarves that altered their original personality.

4 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I think the main reason the devs don't want to bring Dwarves back is because they're overdone in every other game. They've shown in the past they want to keep this game a "distinct flavour", which is why we have the Asura who are an amelgation of traditional Dwarves, Gnomes and Goblins.

This was the exact reason why the dwarves were written out via turning to stone in the first place, yes.

Though the norn are basically oversized dwarves who happen to turn into animals for funsies, for all intents and purposes. All the same tropes except "short" are checked off.

3 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Did they ever properly explain why the hell there's loads of dwarves in the "flashback" strike with the warband and the charr tank. They're just...there.

They explained it in the strike itself.

It was a clan of Stone Summit that rejected peace with the Deldrimor, and attempted to use Primordus' magic to stave off/break away from the magic of the Rite of the Great Dwarf that was slowly turning them into stone Dwarves like the rest.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Did they ever properly explain why the hell there's loads of dwarves in the "flashback" strike with the warband and the charr tank. They're just...there.

Yes. They're basically the last Stone Summit who refused to rejoin Deldrimor after the events of Eye of the North, and in an attempt to prevent being turned to stone by the after-effects of the Rite of the Great Dwarf, unintentionally channeled Primordus' power, which corrupted them into destroyers. Hence why the rangers can summon destroyer crabs.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 1:57 AM, Druintyr.6932 said:

if would be a wonderful expansion! If they did it oldskool like and not PoF or Cantha like. 😄

On 1/26/2023 at 2:57 AM, Logan.4796 said:

Pretty sure the Kodan are modern dwarves

Kodans are cousins of the Norn. Norn are just stuck in "human" form most of the time. 🙂 A human once bit a norn pup and that disease transferred down their bloodline and now they look humanish kinda like what happened to Klingons in TOS. 😄 😄 😄

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 11:27 PM, starhunter.6015 said:

Look we use the Asura to bring back the Dwarfs.....
We pick up any still living Dwarf pieces and give them all new Golem bodies. Creating an all-new Dwarf 2.0 for stem punk Dwarfs. 
This would leave the original bodies still stone and allowing broken dwarfs to continue on. 

Rhoban: "Shut up and take my money!"