Big increase in Scrappers lately.

Nomad.5204

I noticed in the past two weeks there's been way more scrappers in queue. Might be just me but I was curious what seemed to spark this?

I'm happy to have some more diversity in sPvP but, man I find the build really annoying as a warrior main since I can't really lock them down due to what feels like constant stab and super speed plus they just seem pretty tanky with quite a bit of damage.

I haven't played Engi before so It's probably just my lack of knowledge on how the class works and the matchup in general. I also can't seem to find the build anywhere that seems to be the most prevalent. Gameplay wise it seems like they just coast around throwing grenades that chunk you down and or they burst you from stealth out of nowhere.

I take it that it's probably good vs power builds although I haven't tried bringing Condi's against it. Then again warrior condi builds aren't exactly great anyway (excluding SPB bunker which may be dead after today anyway). I'd appreciate any tips or a link to the build, otherwise feel free to have a laugh.

Cheers! Enjoy the new patch for better or worse!

25 minutes ago, Infinity.2876 said:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlRwwYWsK2JOuTatbA-e

this build sums it up. You have a lot of stability, sustain, boon fart, and damage from insane might and vuln stacks.

vuln doesn't stack very well but might and boons makes up for it.

Function gyro is really helpful too

Thanks for that. Looking at those insane utilities I can definitely see why warrior can't really do anything to it outside of maybe spellbreaker ripping boons.

I'm guessing necromancer does pretty well vs it?

2 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

this build sums it up. You have a lot of stability, sustain, boon fart, and damage from insane might and vuln stacks.

brother you have almost every choice wrong

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nomad.5204 said:

Thanks for that. Looking at those insane utilities I can definitely see why warrior can't really do anything to it outside of maybe spellbreaker ripping boons.

I'm guessing necromancer does pretty well vs it?

recurring conditions shred it.

Elixer c is really powerful cleanse (with another aoe version in the tool bar) but if an enemy can keep putting large stacks of one condition on you. You can die pretty quick.

With it I can beat reapers without batting an eye but harbs are a big problem. (but I don't see many of them these days)

Edited by Infinity.2876

7 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

Why is that build using AAR, when it has basically 0 way to proc it?

On 2/14/2023 at 3:07 PM, Infinity.2876 said:

Im sorry, but that's literally a horse kitten build. Not running fury trait in explosives without running fury trait in scrapper, running full elixirs is pepega af and especially with elixir C which literally NO ONE uses. AAR without projectiles xd Come on man what did you think putting this together? You literally only have hammer for damage? Lmao... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The guy is clearly new so maybe be more helpful and less abrasive. Every time you ridicule and behave like this to a new player is another new player that doesn't invest, get better and play PvP in the long term.
Some of you wonder why PvP is dead, it's not entirely ANets fault, lots of blame to go around.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, apharma.3741 said:

The guy is clearly new so maybe be more helpful and less abrasive. Every time you ridicule and behave like this to a new player is another new player that doesn't invest, get better and play PvP in the long term.
Some of you wonder why PvP is dead, it's not entirely ANets fault, lots of blame to go around.

I guess I should explain why I reacted that way. The forums are always great at sharing misinformation or hyperbole and convincing new players that a class or build is good when it isn't. I'm an engi main (former scrapper main) so let me tell you this. Scrapper has been getting a kitten ton of nerfs and bad changes in the past, including the one in this patch. This patch literally won't so anything for scrapper in pvp. Then someone goes and posts in a thread asking about scrappers, linking a very kitten build and talks about insane damage and vomiting stability and might and having great sustain when said build literally isn't even viable for reasons mentioned before.

It's just annoying when people give the wrong impressions about a class to new players as it will distort their view of the class and might possibly even make them ask for nerfs. The same kitten happened when they nerfed rifle auto into uselessness when it was always mech that was the problem combined with the procs from AAR. And now they will start thinking scrapper is great and has insane boon spam while having great sustain and damage at the same time, when it literally doesn't. You can have 25 might stacks all you want, and have all those other offensive boons from your elixirs, but with just hammer as a source of damage you can barely take advantage of that. 

Its okay to be new and play self crafted builds. I do the same, but don't go pretend like the build you created and are using "sums it all up", like he did. That's just an objectively false statement. The sudden increase in scrappers is literally just people trying out the new trait. They will find out soon enough that it won't make a difference and they will be back on their other classes in a heartbeat 😄

Edited by Koensol.5860
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

I know how frustrating it is, I play mostly ele and mesmer but I play other classes. On the one hand staff ele had fallen behind and needed some love but at the same time catalyst has never been stronger or getting more hate. You have uninformed people questioning the buff but not realising it's been bad for a long time.

You have people claiming mesmer is super strong and going to be meta, still waiting on that one. You get misinformation and bad builds a plenty with mesmer like the current Virtuoso build that decaps itself and is no more of a threat than any other mid tier class but will spam invuln, blocks and stealth that makes it horrible to fight. You have the mesmer forum that is pretending it's not an issue or saying the rest of the class is weak so it should have these tools but not realising you can't have these tools AND get buffs in areas needed.

I was honestly surprised he didn't put grenade kit on it personally, if anything is going to give you the wrong impression about engineer it's grenade kit.

• Confused 1

Sorry if some engineers  get a bit agitated, we just spent half a year being targeted by a certain infamous ele in an attempt to get elementalist buffs by complaining about every single engineer spec (yes, that includes core) in every single gamemode. No it isn't hyperbole, and that is his stated logic not mine. Close to 300 posts including necroing years old threads and flooding the subforums front page. And in this time period i did not hear about many teams stacking engineers in finals if you know what i mean (the last one did give us a good chuckle though). So some people might be a bit on edge when they see threads like this pop up.

(As for NHBT himself i have not seen him since he made the mistake off picking on warriors after the sane-... I mean sahne baited him into it).

Edited by miriforst.1290
  • Haha 2

On 2/14/2023 at 8:07 AM, Infinity.2876 said:

This build doesn't look all that great tbh. It's literally just an inferior version of the mortar scrapper build that came before... but without the mortar. And elixirs for boons instead of gyros. 

Which you very much want on scrapper because it lets you pressure foes behind you as you kite them with your superspeed, and it gives you something to fill the space inbetween your hammer bursts. You don't want to just stand on top of people autoing them with your hammers while chugging elixirs. You're going to get shredded. 

Nades also fill a similar purpose. 

Also speaking of this lack of mortar kit/nades... WHY DO YOU HAVE A-AR WITH NO RANGED WEAPON?!? It does nothing for you on hammer. The only time you'll gain use out of A-AR is when you do a whirl finisher in your smoke field from sneak gyro... Which reveals you out of sneak gyro. 

Other problems: Boon rips/corrupts eat you alive a Spellbreaker/Untamed/Necro/Mesmer and can rip your boons. You drop dead to consistent condi pressure.  

On the plus side, it is easy to play since you've got one job and it's unga-bunga. 

That said, I do have a Scrapper build that I've been using and it doesn't run anything that's been buffed this patch. I asked myself what build I could run on scrapper that Holo/Mecha, doesn't already do better, which ruled out a pure sidenode or DPS option, so I came up with a support/utility build instead. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlNw8YOsLWKe+TftMA-zZJ8MqWCEwCwZDAA

Quick rundown:

Heal scrapper build with decent pressure. You run Hammer and avatar amulet for better burst instead of the Pistol/Shield which does zero DPS. Transference sigil for healing and Escape sigil because i hate immobilize. 

You have a lot of group healing/cleanses. Good rez/stomp utility. Decent damage for focusing down targets. Superspeed + Mortars behind you if you ever become the focus target so you are hard to focus. Elixir S for an oh **** button to prevent a big burst. Defense field and hammer 2/3 to prevent ranged bursts. Mortar skills and bulwark gyro to deny melee bursts because pulsing blinds go brrr. 

Passive sustain from backpack regenerator and regeneration adds up, and converts into additonal barriers thanks to sanctuary rune. Is further buffed with Adaptive Armor. Barriers you gain from doing DPS augment this. This also gives you 15% damage reduction against condis. Medical Dispersion field will store up this passive sustain and release it in 3 second intervals to allies around you. Good synergy all around. 

(Note: you can run Rapid Regeneration as well. Still testing it to see if I like it more than Expert Examination)

Can flex as a side noder because you are very tanky, and mortar skills can take pressure off of you when standing on node. Acid bomb is good pulsing unblockable damage, and you can survive plusses very well. 

It's far from the best support in the world (Tempest says hello), but it's the best niche I could find for scrapper where I don't feel like I'm playing an inferior version of the other two elite specs. 

Also I always, always call targets on this build. I play very aggressive to bait as much pressure as possible onto myself because I can afford to. Always either being the one to stand on node or co-ordinate kills with the team. The superspeed and stab you give them help them stick to their focus target. The sooner you generate a down, the sooner you can secure it with either function gyro or an Elixir S stomp. The sooner you can snowball the fight 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuma.1503 said:

This build doesn't look all that great tbh. It's literally just an inferior version of the mortar scrapper build that came before... but without the mortar. And elixirs for boons instead of gyros. 

Which you very much want on scrapper because it lets you pressure foes behind you as you kite them with your superspeed, and it gives you something to fill the space inbetween your hammer bursts. You don't want to just stand on top of people autoing them with your hammers while chugging elixirs. You're going to get shredded. 

Nades also fill a similar purpose. 

Also speaking of this lack of mortar kit/nades... WHY DO YOU HAVE A-AR WITH NO RANGED WEAPON?!? It does nothing for you on hammer. The only time you'll gain use out of A-AR is when you do a whirl finisher in your smoke field from sneak gyro... Which reveals you out of sneak gyro. 

Other problems: Boon rips/corrupts eat you alive a Spellbreaker/Untamed/Necro/Mesmer and can rip your boons. You drop dead to consistent condi pressure.  

On the plus side, it is easy to play since you've got one job and it's unga-bunga. 

That said, I do have a Scrapper build that I've been using and it doesn't run anything that's been buffed this patch. I asked myself what build I could run on scrapper that Holo/Mecha, doesn't already do better, which ruled out a pure sidenode or DPS option, so I came up with a support/utility build instead. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlNw8YOsLWKe+TftMA-zZJ8MqWCEwCwZDAA

Quick rundown:

Heal scrapper build with decent pressure. You run Hammer and avatar amulet for better burst instead of the Pistol/Shield which does zero DPS. Transference sigil for healing and Escape sigil because i hate immobilize. 

You have a lot of group healing/cleanses. Good rez/stomp utility. Decent damage for focusing down targets. Superspeed + Mortars behind you if you ever become the focus target so you are hard to focus. Elixir S for an oh **** button to prevent a big burst. Defense field and hammer 2/3 to prevent ranged bursts. Mortar skills and bulwark gyro to deny melee bursts because pulsing blinds go brrr. 

Passive sustain from backpack regenerator and regeneration adds up, and converts into additonal barriers thanks to sanctuary rune. Is further buffed with Adaptive Armor. Barriers you gain from doing DPS augment this. This also gives you 15% damage reduction against condis. Medical Dispersion field will store up this passive sustain and release it in 3 second intervals to allies around you. Good synergy all around. 

(Note: you can run Rapid Regeneration as well. Still testing it to see if I like it more than Expert Examination)

Can flex as a side noder because you are very tanky, and mortar skills can take pressure off of you when standing on node. Acid bomb is good pulsing unblockable damage, and you can survive plusses very well. 

It's far from the best support in the world (Tempest says hello), but it's the best niche I could find for scrapper where I don't feel like I'm playing an inferior version of the other two elite specs. 

Also I always, always call targets on this build. I play very aggressive to bait as much pressure as possible onto myself because I can afford to. Always either being the one to stand on node or co-ordinate kills with the team. The superspeed and stab you give them help them stick to their focus target. The sooner you generate a down, the sooner you can secure it with either function gyro or an Elixir S stomp. The sooner you can snowball the fight 

Looks like a good build maybe I'll try it.

might use purge gyro instead of elixir gun because I don't like using it even if it does have 2 elixir procs. (personal preference thing)

Why do people not use elixir c?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Infinity.2876 said:

Looks like a good build maybe I'll try it.

might use purge gyro instead of elixir gun because I don't like using it even if it does have 2 elixir procs. (personal preference thing)

Why do people not use elixir c?

Opportunity cost mostly. It's not a bad skill but Engi ends up with a lot of skills competing for a slot on their hotbar.

Scrapper really wants either nades or mortars for ranged pressure.

Blast Gyro or Elixir U for offensive boons and a stunbreak.

Bulwark Gyro because of the on demand lightning field (can combo with Hammer 3 for daze to rupt heals), barriers, and defense field to block projectiles. It also gives stability and you can combo it with function gyro for rezzes and stomps. 

Purge Gyro, which has a shorter CD, benefits allies, and gives superspeed. There's also a light field that follows you so you can blast it or leap for light aura, or hammer 2 in melee range of someone to hit yourself with the cleansing bolts. 

Elixir gun, which gives a bit of extra mobility, unblockable damage with acid bomb, spammable weakness, short CD AoE cleanses on fumigate (5 condis on a 12 second cooldown), sustain with super elixir, a stunbreak on the toolbelt. Synergy with HGH... Just so much value packed into one skill. 

It's difficult to justfy taking Elixir C over something else. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, miriforst.1290 said:

Sorry if some engineers  get a bit agitated, we just spent half a year being targeted by a certain infamous ele in an attempt to get elementalist buffs by complaining about every single engineer spec

Where is NHBT? i havent seen him in a while.

i think i broke him :C  But it was for a greater good!

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Where is NHBT? i havent seen him in a while.

i think i broke him :C  But it was for a greater good!

You were doing gods work. Thank god that freak is gone 😄

Btw @Infinity.2876the reason almost no one uses elixir C is because it's too single purpose. If you end up fighting mostly power builds the utility is almost useless. And engineer already had a hard time selecting the utilities they want. In a heavy condi meta maybe you could justify taking it, but even then I'd prefer purge gyro for that as it also supports allies. But even in that situation running medkit + elixirgun + cleanse sigil is probably enough cleansing for me. Many condi's can be avoided by simply not eating them in the first place or not running onto the mid node.

Edited by Koensol.5860

A glass canon scrapper build that bursts you with hammer and finishes you off with mortars? 

Sounds like the old mortar scrapper build, but since quickness is gone, they rely on stealth one shots instead. 

Here's the old build I used to run, but instead of bulwark gyro I've got Elixir S for stealth. And since Gyros give fury now I've got Glass Canon instead of Short Fuse.  

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlRwgYNsLWKOsLvtUA-zZIPjMlAhsAU5AA

Explosives is obvious. A-AR buffs mortar dps. 

Firearms because you're going for melee bursts in stealth. This means that the crit modifier you get for being within 450 range of the target is a given.

With Shredder gyro and Hammer 5 ticking, the enemy should always have a stack of bleed on them, allowing you to crit every attack without relying on intelegence sigil. WIth all modifiers active (easy to achieve in a stealth one shot) you sit at 97.62% crit chance. This lets you run savagery instead to burst harder during your CC chains.

Every stun procs Expert Examination which puts vuln and weakness on the target. 

You gain bonus ferocity when you have fury, which you can generate by casting any gyro. Gyros will give you might, fury, and quickness thanks to chronomancer rune. 

Blast gyro can be cast immediately upon entering stealth. The 3 second delay times up with when your stealth from toss elixir S will end. You can start your burst immediately thanks to this. Chain the CC with Hammer 5. Use superspeed to stick to your target. Interrupt heal with Spare capacitor or Function Gyro + Hammer 3. 

Use superspeed + mortars to kite inbetween bursts. 

It's a similar build that was run before, but instead of perma quickness, you have an easier time generating fury, so you can trade out Short Fuse for Glass Canon. 

You can make this semi-bulky with Marauder/Demo amulet + Blast Shield. You'll have to rely on a bit more mortar spam to get your kills, but you can also take more of a beating and you still dish out good damage. 

Weaknesses: Condis. Your cleanse is killing them before they put the condis on you or avoiding them alltogether. (If you're big brain you can hammer 2 or shredder gyro in your flash shell to hit yourself with cleansing bolts).

Focus - This isn't as bulky as other scraper builds. Most people don't focus me when I play this because scrapper isn't usually a focus target, but you'll have a harder time if they figure out what you're doing. 

Tempests - Shocking aura. Mag aura to shut down your mortar spam. AoE prot spam if they run earth traitline.

S W I R L I N G  W I N D S. 

Spellbreakers - Stab/Stunbreaks for days. Will CC chain you into submission. Need to be on point with dodges and kite a lot with mortars. Flash shell is your friend. 

Catalysts - See Tempest. 

Edited by Kuma.1503