PvP Can't Survive With Only Occasional Balance Patches

Yerlock.4678

We Need more love in this game mode. Map improvements, reworks, new maps, possible new game modes, or QoL...

Hell even just making the off seasons more intriguing with more experimental game modes that coincide with unranked.

You could make unranked the party style game modes that mix things up from match to match (deathmatch, capture the flag, king of the hill, what have you) and dedicate ranked to conquest.

Or even add a new game mode (that isn't utter garbo like the DOTA wannabe rip off done poorly and is actual pvp) that incorporates 10v10. 

Point being that this game mode is going to continue to have whiners like me and other fans ranting like loons on these forums because of the sheer level of neglect this mode has had.

Balance is extremely important, that we can all agree on. But as we get into more and more favorable metas for more classes and specs this question of "more content?" is going to keep coming up.

The doomers won't go away until Anet gives us more than only balance. It's been years and years.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, gmmg.9210 said:

Or even add a new game mode (that isn't utter garbo like the DOTA wannabe rip off done poorly and is actual pvp) that incorporates 10v10. 

HEY, you watch your mouth buddy, Stronghold is trying its best
and I'm sure both the people that play that gamemode have a great time!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

A game mode as simple as fighting to kill/defend a few bosses in different locations would be very similar to conquest but leading to very different playstyles. Or more fleshed out, fighting to set up weapons and utilities to support a final boss battle between each team's bosses after like 10 minutes would be neat.

But overall, pvp doesn't contribute much to the game's income so no content for you.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It's already dead. All that's left is the drapery over the body.

What's left are just a gaggle of redditors and internet influencers trying to prop it up. Of course, to me, the reason spvp even still exists is because Arenanet does not want to lose or even LOOK like they're losing money for shutting down a service. Either that or they hope to automate this nonsense and hope nobody notices!

Also, people tend to forget: the days of pvp in mmos have passed. They're not coming back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

What's left are just a gaggle of redditors and internet influencers trying to prop it up. Of course, to me, the reason spvp even still exists is because Arenanet does not want to lose or even LOOK like they're losing money for shutting down a service. Either that or they hope to automate this nonsense and hope nobody notices!

Also, people tend to forget: the days of pvp in mmos have passed. They're not coming back.

Project TL and Ashes of Creation are trying to revive pvp in MMOs. Though yes, MMOs are essentially attraction parks filled with gimmicky rides and overpriced souvenirs that you don't get to take home.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Guild Wars 2 - PVP was already dead when it was released when it deliberately went against Guild Wars 1 Philosophy, Core Root, Dreams, Values, Wisdom,  and  Visions of a world for its players first than to give its players a fun, enjoyable experience, learning lessons, competitive fun skill base designs in a a healthy competitive environment.

There is always a beginning; In the beginning we were sold a lie, false illusion that 'everything we liked about Guild Wars 1, that we will like about Guild Wars 2'. 

10 years later, Guild Wars 2 is paying the price

What is happening now is Guild Wars 2 is under Guild Wars 1 curse for deceiving its name and for mocking those who were devoted in keeping its name alive and for keeping its visions and its name sacred.

1. Completely Remove Guild Wars name from Guild Wars 2 game

2. Remove all story telling of Guild Wars 1 from Guild Wars 2 game

2. Remove all Professions from Guild Wars 1 in Guild Wars 2 game

3. Remove of every Environments, Arts, Designs, Titles, References of Guild Wars 1 from Guild Wars 2 game

Immediately!!

Return Rightfully Everything To Guild Wars Name!!

("A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most.")

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

18 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

Guild Wars 2 - PVP was already dead when it was released when it deliberately went against Guild Wars 1 Philosophy, Core Root, Dreams, Values, Wisdom,  and  Visions of a world for its players first than to give its players a fun, enjoyable experience, learning lessons, competitive fun skill base designs in a a healthy competitive environment.

There is always a beginning; In the beginning we were sold a lie, false illusion that 'everything we liked about Guild Wars 1, that we will like about Guild Wars 2'. 

That was there with Guild Wars 2 at first a well.
When I look back at initial Guild Wars 2, I think of a goofy, humble little MMO that exceeded all expectations particularly in grouping and combat. It felt very natural, and I never found myself questioning anything at the start really.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone here, but just for example; I didn't come to the forums until they readded DuoQ, because before that there was really nothing to complain about that wasn't personal and subjective prior to that point.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." -John Bibleton, Paradise Lost

18 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

("A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most.")

That is beautiful and inspiring, and I appreciate you sharing that.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 1:47 AM, Doomcryer.3650 said:

I played a lot of sPVP in the past, but put a game on pause for several years. 

Can somebody explain what is wrong with PVP right now? 

Years of mismanagement --> playerbase shrinks --> years of neglect --> playerbase goes down to almost non-existant. While the game itself doubled its playerbase, that's quite the feat. 

• Like 4

My main issue is they put all their chips on conquest. Instead of evenly spreading them to the rest of the game modes. Deathmatch got shoved into a closet neglected to rot. Stronghold still have a slight presence but still neglected. 2v2/3v3 are the closest that competes with conquest despite being only accessible via competitive modes, and gl trying to find a open hotjoin server for it. Underwater maps got scraped instead of rebalancing the combat. 

Furthermore, all of the other PvP sub-games like Southsun Survival are never advertised, nor receives any QoL like the other non-conquest modes. People can say that we don't have enough players to invest onto other modes, but trying to pool everyone into one and people will eventually leave to find fresh waters, and the decade shows that. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 4:57 PM, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Project TL and Ashes of Creation are trying to revive pvp in MMOs. Though yes, MMOs are essentially attraction parks filled with gimmicky rides and overpriced souvenirs that you don't get to take home.

Well then, that certainly defeats the purpose of a souvenir doesn't it!

On 3/4/2023 at 12:52 AM, Burnfall.9573 said:

10 years later, Guild Wars 2 is paying the price

What is happening now is Guild Wars 2 is under Guild Wars 1 curse for deceiving its name and for mocking those who were devoted in keeping its name alive and for keeping its visions and its name sacred.

1. Completely Remove Guild Wars name from Guild Wars 2 game

2. Remove all story telling of Guild Wars 1 from Guild Wars 2 game

2. Remove all Professions from Guild Wars 1 in Guild Wars 2 game

3. Remove of every Environments, Arts, Designs, Titles, References of Guild Wars 1 from Guild Wars 2 game

Immediately!!

Return Rightfully Everything To Guild Wars Name!!

Guild Wars 1, like many of the PC games of the 2000s, was a product of its time. In my opinion, the 2000s were PC gaming's golden age. When the 2010s came in, gaming really took a nosedive(culture and all...). Corporate greed, social media and the mass-marketing hype machines, blatant anti-consumer practices, Wall St money. It all kicked into high gear in that previous decade and has not let up since.

Guild Wars 2 was a product of that decade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Well then, that certainly defeats the purpose of a souvenir doesn't it!

Guild Wars 1, like many of the PC games of the 2000s, was a product of its time. In my opinion, the 2000s were PC gaming's golden age. When the 2010s came in, gaming really took a nosedive(culture and all...). Corporate greed, social media and the mass-marketing hype machines, blatant anti-consumer practices, Wall St money. It all kicked into high gear in that previous decade and has not let up since.

Guild Wars 2 was a product of that decade. 

I agree with you..