Three problems with warrior

Widebody.5071

Lack of distinctive diversity hurts this profession a lot.

Yes, there are different builds you can play including support, but the base gameplay remains more or less same as opposed to some other professions with much bigger variety.

I do like spellbreaker, I do like beserker, I am trying to find my way to bladesworn which is probably most unique (regardless of whether it's a good or bad thing), but ultimately the very one dimensional playstyle makes me sometimes feel like I am playing different game when I switch to something else.
I like warrior but it can get kind of stale after a while, and it's hard to spice it up sometimes due to limited options warrior has right now in terms of feeling relevant in end game content (which is ironic considering how many weapons warrior can use).
I don't think that warrior needs some major overhaul in terms of gameplay since stuff like that is subjective, some poeple like it, some people don't, but it should be brought to similar level as other professions (which is something they are apparently working on on judging by the recent updates).

• Like 1

I've struggled to enjoy warrior for ten years. I've got a great little gobin named Rawrr. Mostly he picked plants and mined ore.

It wasn't until just recently that Spellbreaker clicked with me, and I finally had a lot of fun with him.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Padrion.7382 said:

Funny, I have yet to try a class in this game, that isn't fun to play, but if you look in any of the profession forums it's all doom & gloom. Sure there are issues with specific skills and traits ans Anet is pretty slow with addressing such problems, probably due to the lack of manpower. But that is not limited to warrior only. And if it really was as bad as people on the forums sometimes claim, you could always level and gear an alt with spare materials from you bank in a matter of minutes...

I forget the technical term, but there's a psychological trend where negative experiences are felt at about four times the intensity as positive ones. This pretty much explains a lot about what you see: the flaws in the professions one plays are the annoyances that, if one is dedicated enough, one will eventually want to see fixed (unless it's apparent that it's a deliberate and fair design weakness). Conversely, if one don't play a particular profession in competitive, the times one gets dominated by a particular profession stick in the mind more than the times one dominates that profession or has an even fight, so people who don't play a profession tend to develop an overinflated idea of how powerful it is.

Combine that with people have a tendency to complain about the things they care about, and the possibility that someone complaining that a given build is OP might just be unknowingly playing a build that's getting hard countered by a build that has its own hard counters, and you'll find that people who don't play all the professions are going to complain about the professions they play being neglected while the professions they don't play are OP (and possibly ArenaNet's favoured child). The truth is that all of the professions do genuinely have their problems. Some are worse than others, naturally, but advocates of a profession are going to focus on what's wrong with that profession.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I forget the technical term, but there's a psychological trend where negative experiences are felt at about four times the intensity as positive ones. This pretty much explains a lot about what you see: the flaws in the professions one plays are the annoyances that, if one is dedicated enough, one will eventually want to see fixed (unless it's apparent that it's a deliberate and fair design weakness). Conversely, if one don't play a particular profession in competitive, the times one gets dominated by a particular profession stick in the mind more than the times one dominates that profession or has an even fight, so people who don't play a profession tend to develop an overinflated idea of how powerful it is.

Combine that with people have a tendency to complain about the things they care about, and the possibility that someone complaining that a given build is OP might just be unknowingly playing a build that's getting hard countered by a build that has its own hard counters, and you'll find that people who don't play all the professions are going to complain about the professions they play being neglected while the professions they don't play are OP (and possibly ArenaNet's favoured child). The truth is that all of the professions do genuinely have their problems. Some are worse than others, naturally, but advocates of a profession are going to focus on what's wrong with that profession.

Bingo. Each of the professions has issues. It is going to be the mains that play it and love it that are going to uncover all the issues. I'll defend to the death for eles and mesmers and all the others to advocate for where they find their profession lacking, even if there is one way that it is overperforming. At the same time those profession mains will have a good handle on what is overperforming and what sort of nerf would bring it in line without killing something.

The problem that I see happen a lot is that Anet only partially listens. They'll make a nerf that the profession mains call for (see the TR ammo reload nerf), but then throw other nerfs on top of it (see the DSD stab removal nerf).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I've struggled to enjoy warrior for ten years. I've got a great little gobin named Rawrr. Mostly he picked plants and mined ore.

It wasn't until just recently that Spellbreaker clicked with me, and I finally had a lot of fun with him.

You inspired me:

A sad lil gobin named Rawwr

Used only to pick plants and mine ore

Til he learned to rip boons from CC-locked toons

Now the Warrior within cries out "MOAR!!!"

Paging @oscuro.9720. This one's for you, bud 

• Haha 5

I'm still a noob here but they way I see it...coming from traditional holy trinity mmos. Plate Armor means I take the least dmg, Sheild means I passively periodicaly automatically block an attack. The trade off has always been do less dmg then casters but have more survivability. Instead in this game every class has tankability. But unlike us every other class also has way more caster like DoTs, Auras, CC and DD. They really need to do some thinking here how to make us survivable, threatening, and just like any other class only skinned up as a Warrior. I wonder... since we are the weaponmasters how about even giving us a third weapon swap?

• Haha 1

After 10 years I've stuck by core warrior rocking mace shield and Hammer, rocking ancient shouts from the days of magic find gear ( in terms of world versus world). Even with the cc nerf and power damage nerf I like the challenge of hitting for 15's  while in pure sentinels getting the occasional 2000 to 2500 damage hit. Although I miss the power of the cc skills themselves which falter against those with more then 5 stacks of stability. It could be beneficial to  perhaps add vuln or weakness upon hitting a target that has stability with a cc skill that way if you don't get the cc activation the skill does more then 15 damage even if it is a debuffing condition.  The damage return on earthshaker was quite nice but yeah warrior has a lot of areas that need improved in general.

• Like 1

Lets not forget how Warrior is so weak against condi damage all condi cleansing traits and skills with every patches getting worse and worse, how warrior with 40.234 hp can die in 2-3 stack of burning in less than 3-5 seconds and with current "shake it off" wich is one time cleanse is also useless, especialy when you fight cursed harbringer or other heavy condi class, only because condi gets instatnly reapplied on warrior just after cleanse, and warriors skill are on cold down,  how we can even defend from mechanic wich can easily overpower (if not even simply ignores) defense mechanics of warrior, condi damage in general should be nerfed or reworked so it wont be so overpowered in every modes

• Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 9:40 PM, Rongaron.9213 said:

Lets not forget how Warrior is so weak against condi damage all condi cleansing traits and skills with every patches getting worse and worse, how warrior with 40.234 hp can die in 2-3 stack of burning in less than 3-5 seconds and with current "shake it off" wich is one time cleanse is also useless, especialy when you fight cursed harbringer or other heavy condi class, only because condi gets instatnly reapplied on warrior just after cleanse, and warriors skill are on cold down,  how we can even defend from mechanic wich can easily overpower (if not even simply ignores) defense mechanics of warrior, condi damage in general should be nerfed or reworked so it wont be so overpowered in every modes

Are we playing the same game? Cleanse on heal,shake it off,and cleanse on weapon swap. Yes condi does need a good nerfing. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

Are we playing the same game? Cleanse on heal,shake it off,and cleanse on weapon swap. Yes condi does need a good nerfing. 

still not enough cleanse and yes we playing the same game, ill like to add i have 15.379 hours over past 2.732 days on WARRIOR only so i know what im saying about condi cleanse skills

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 6:45 AM, Widebody.5071 said:

Warriors seem to be the outlier class of the game and I think these are some of the main reasons. There's others but these three hurts us allot.

1. They're always being thrown under the bus by players who claim they main warrior but hate them because they are too strong, too many passives, too simple

to play and no fun.

2. Everyone expects to beat a warrior in a few hits. In WvW caster's fights take a few minutes and there's no complaints, but if they use more then 10 skills on a warrior their world comes to an end and it's all-out war on that warrior. It seems as if everyone has gotten use to abusing warriors and hate to give up their range superiority privilege.

3. It seems as if warrior players are hated for playing a class they like instead of trying to follow the latest trend. I've rarely seen so many eloquently worded   

insults aimed at people solely because someone is mad that someone else is playing a game in a way that's comfortable to them.

I guess since they can't run from warrior to warrior and ask "excuse me can I have a buff" like they do in other games they don't want warriors in the game. They have no use for them. Like I said eloquently worded insults and put downs but in reality all it is... it's a bunch of bullcorn. Just my opinion on a few things I've noticed.

This used to be prevalent last year when warrior was at its worst. It's a bit better now, but I think warrior will always suffer in some way in this game due to two reasons.

1. The action combat system
  2. Anti-melee mechanics (stealth, AoEs, superspeed, blind)

Warrior is fine enough in an action combat system, but when you add mesmers, thieves, engineers it suffers. It can't move as fast. And in an action combat system, mobility is everything.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I don't remember a single scenario I got kicked out of any end game pve stuff just because I was a warrior, however I kept my builds meta and didn't go experimental with that. Unless you got a solid group of friends, yeah you can heal-boon raids if you like. But I don't believe that'll ever happen in public groups.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, artharon.9276 said:

Personally, I don't remember a single scenario I got kicked out of any end game pve stuff just because I was a warrior, however I kept my builds meta and didn't go experimental with that. Unless you got a solid group of friends, yeah you can heal-boon raids if you like. But I don't believe that'll ever happen in public groups.

I have never witnessed a profession of any type getting kicked for being that profession. All that mattered was that they filled a needed role.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

This used to be prevalent last year when warrior was at its worst. It's a bit better now, but I think warrior will always suffer in some way in this game due to two reasons.

1. The action combat system
  2. Anti-melee mechanics (stealth, AoEs, superspeed, blind)

Warrior is fine enough in an action combat system, but when you add mesmers, thieves, engineers it suffers. It can't move as fast. And in an action combat system, mobility is everything.

I actually agree with you on this.

Edited by Widebody.5071
  • Like 1

I don't know if I got to publish it or I was lazy in the world to translate it, but the warrior drags the "design error" that basically consists of developers trying to innovate and end up ruining other parts of the game, for that reason or you hire the most trained and competent in the world to make and add major changes or you end up with the random mess of numbers that is gw2 right now, dragging thousands of "design error" because they don't fit the "new" things added.
No, there isn't the most capable person in the world to make such changes either, or yes, maybe, maybe an AI, or maybe it bugs the game even more, who knows... XD

• Confused 1