Stop yelling at the silvers

Gibson.4036

No, we're not wintraders throwing your match. Yes, we do work on learning our class, but that doesn't mean we're great at it. Yes, we do panic sometimes and do stupid things, and go in the absolute wrong direction.ย ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

But we didn't choose to be teamed up with you, even though you are the God of PvP and all true competition and skill will die with you.ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, we did make the mistake of queuing off-hours when matchmaking is at its worst.

But so did you.ย ๐Ÿ˜˜

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

No, we're not wintraders throwing your match. Yes, we do work on learning our class, but that doesn't mean we're great at it. Yes, we do panic sometimes and do stupid things, and go in the absolute wrong direction.ย ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

But we didn't choose to be teamed up with you, even though you are the God of PvP and all true competition and skill will die with you.ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, we did make the mistake of queuing off-hours when matchmaking is at its worst.

But so did you.ย ๐Ÿ˜˜

You are absolutely correct. And this is why I stopped playing. Not just pvp in gw2, but all mmopvp. It's garbage.

You know pvp is in such a catastrophe when all that is left is newbies and people who game the system. All the people in between: GONE. I sympathize with new players (we were all at one point), but at some point they're eventually going to find out how everything works. And let me tell ya: they're not going to like it!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And just like that, people in pvp stopped complaining about their teammates. If only we've made a thread like this earlier! ๐Ÿ˜„

I'm so glad I was able to provide suce a valuable service. ๐Ÿ˜„

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 1

Inevitably many shall fault the hands upon the keyboard which flamed their team first, but those more sensible will place responsibility with the poorly designed competitive systems that force both casual and competitive gamers together under the same, objectively unfair competitive ladder to begin with.

Perhaps if people could play in that ways they want to and that are convenient to them, then they would overall be less defensive and frustrated when playing in general. These situations are usually far more nuanced beyond just black and white, good & evil, troll & victim.

Edited by Multicolorhipster.9751
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

These situations are usually far more nuanced beyond just black and white, good & evil, troll & victim.

Indeed, we're all victims here.ย 

Victims of low population and a terrible matchmaker.ย ๐Ÿค’

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

We just don't have the player count we once had. Most people come to play Gw2 for the big epic adventure, which includes Story, Meta Events, Open World quest progression.ย 

This will only get worse over time as more people come just for that content and Arena Net just focuses on that (which they have already)ย 

The best we can hope for is some scraps from when they do WvW updates.ย 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Indeed, we're all victims here.ย 

Victims of low population and a terrible matchmaker.ย ๐Ÿค’

Yes, I know. It is quite dreadful to be made a victim when you just want to play a game you've invested and ungodly amount of time and money intoย ๐Ÿ˜ฟ

Personally, I am a single father of 10 boys (and on food stamps but I shan't get into that just know a lot of money impulsively goes to gems) so the only way I could ever play this game with all my sons is if we were all of us able to soloq so that we could each fit into a single ranked match and still get to play together so I am hoping Arenanet adds a way to play purely soloQ until then, I have my ice cream and my soap operas and my perfect angels to help me through.ย ๐Ÿคง

• Like 3

But why is it so difficult nowadays?

is it a matter of demography? Has the school education been different when all the veterans where online?

has the origin of gw2 players changed over the years that many might not find the game in their mother language and have it difficult to understand tratis, skills etc?

Are people not joining the military or real life sports teams anymore to get education on tactical movement and such?

why is the overall quality so low these days?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, DivineDreaming.7206 said:

Eh, just turn chat off at the lower ranks, chat drastically improves when you get up to plat+ for the most part. If your new, best advise is to just keep the chat off, learn your role depending on what class you are, and how to rotate, and should be fine for the most part.ย 

Ah, but then there are those beautiful moments when you and your team actually do communicate. Is it worth it to give those up?

I donโ€™t want to.

Iโ€™ve had some amazing experiences where a skilled teammate even took time to instruct and we went on to some great matches.

• Like 3

the question is if one can even talk about bullying?

it seems the todays generation of silver and bronze players arent even open enough to take feedback on their gaming but rather choose to directly raise up the "help im getting bullied, did everyone see it????" shield.

even if the feedback might be rough one can just let it slip but take the core message of the feedback.

if you consider everyone better than you giving you a feedback directly as "bully" even though you are obviously not successful in what you do then you might never improve on anything at all.

time for the pony princesses to wake up.

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

But so did you.ย ๐Ÿ˜˜

You're not a silver player. At least g3.

28 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

the question is if one can even talk about bullying?

it seems the todays generation of silver and bronze players arent even open enough to take feedback on their gaming but rather choose to directly raise up the "help im getting bullied, did everyone see it????" shield.

even if the feedback might be rough one can just let it slip but take the core message of the feedback.

if you consider everyone better than you giving you a feedback directly as "bully" even though you are obviously not successful in what you do then you might never improve on anything at all.

time for the pony princesses to wake up.

Not sure where this is directed. It feels a little strawman. Where are the people in this thread calling feedback bullying?

For my part, some of my favorite moments in PvP are when a more skilled and knowledgeable player made suggestions, I and/or other teammates followed it, and we were able to win. It's beautiful, if rare.

Now, I've been in matches where someone tried to be helpful like that and some of my teammates ignored them. Frustrating, but I still learned.

But when a player spends the whole match typing "BOTS!!! WINTRADERS!!!! WTF!!!!" at their team because they lack skill, what is the core message a player is supposed to learn? It's hard to process that as "feedback on [our] gaming."

And, it's misplaced rage. It's the current situation and system that have us playing matches together. We didn't choose to join their team to spoil their ranking.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, roederich.2716 said:

But why is it so difficult nowadays?

is it a matter of demography? Has the school education been different when all the veterans where online?

has the origin of gw2 players changed over the years that many might not find the game in their mother language and have it difficult to understand tratis, skills etc?

Are people not joining the military or real life sports teams anymore to get education on tactical movement and such?

why is the overall quality so low these days?

ย 

Most people that cared about competing in PvP or WvW left the game long ago. It's sad. What remains is jaded veterans and clueless players that don't care about improving their skill.

ย 

I can't speak for PvP, I've always disliked conquest, but as for WvW in EU, apart from Whiteside Ridge, the player quality has dropped by an insane amount. It's honestly appalling how many people play this game with their brain shut off. It doesn't make for a fun experience when your supposed 'team mates' play like bots.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia.8695 said:

What remains is jaded veterans and clueless players that don't care about improving their skill.

It's important to note that there are different levels to "care about improving their skill".

I play for fun. I'll look at logs to see what I'm dying to. I'll go back over my skills and try to find ways to better take advantage of them. But I'm not going to "train" by dueling a friend repeatedly. I don't tirelessly hone my builds. I PvP one or two sessions a week, which translates to maybe 5 to 15 matches total.

By the comments I occasionally receive, I do "play like bots" in the eyes of some skilled players.

Consider that the skill gap between veterans and newer players is so great, trying hard to the latter looks like playing "with their brain shut off" to the former.

Just the other day I was listening to a streamer who played in the early days of GW2. He was talking about how he'd PvPed so intently leading up to launch that at launch he and his team were doing 500-0 matches. Because combat in this game is so fast-paced compared to other MMOs, the skill ceiling is high.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

ย 

Consider that the skill gap between veterans and newer players is so great, trying hard to the latter looks like playing "with their brain shut off" to the former.

ย 

ย 

Fair, I should have specified that I don't mean new players by this. We were all new once. I'm talking about people who have been here a while. It's pretty easy to tell who's new and who isn't. A 200 AP guy who is killing players left and right clearly isn't.

ย 

My definition of veteran is someone who has been playing a long time and is actually good at the game and not someone that just has the playtime. There are many, many players of the latter group like this that are just straight up trash. If they want to be trash, that's fine, it's their game, I'm just saying that it makes for a miserable pvp experience for everyone involved.

ย 

But since this is a PVE game now, with Grouch focusing on content that the majority actually plays, this all doesn't matter anymore.ย 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Why don't they make a 4v4 version so all the try hard duo Qย  players get stuck with each other. If the community is so divided between new players and veterans, then force the veterans to fight each other

ย 

Oh wait, it's because "skilled" players only want to fight noobs. They just don't want noobs on their team. Makes sense

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Stallic.2397 said:

Why don't they make a 4v4 version so all the try hard duo Qย  players get stuck with each other. If the community is so divided between new players and veterans, then force the veterans to fight each other

ย 

Oh wait, it's because "skilled" players only want to fight noobs. They just don't want noobs on their team. Makes sense

Well, technically that's the exact job of proper matchmaking, except it's not about splitting veterans and new players accounts, it's about identifying player "skill" and then matching them accordingly. The problem with this is that to do it efficiently and with lower -lets call it- misplacement ratio, there needs to be a substantial player pool to draw from.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/22/2023 at 5:40 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

Ah, but then there are those beautiful moments when you and your team actually do communicate. Is it worth it to give those up?

I donโ€™t want to.

Iโ€™ve had some amazing experiences where a skilled teammate even took time to instruct and we went on to some great matches.

That's great, but majority of a new player's experience will be people yelling at them.....turning chat off till they learn the game, and basics will serve them better. Like when I was learning baseballย fundamentals, you know actual skills, and mechanics...........the key to a path forward, pretty important, you will gain more at a low level fromย fundamentals than chat, I assure you.......can attribute that to any profession in the real world....

Edited by DivineDreaming.7206
  • Thanks 1

It has nothing to do with silver rank. No matter what rank you are you'll get put up against players in the top 100, the top 10 even, along with players with legendary titles, and so on.

ย 

You might be able to avoid it if you're all the way down in bronze, but I doubt it since two seasons ago I took a survey in each match and while every match was ranking from silver to platinum, a few matches had a bronze player. Keep in mind, that's assuming players didn't over-inflate their rank, which if they did the situation is even worse.

ย 

Ranked just needs to be removed, nothing is going to fix the population at this point and since new players are treated badly as soon as they enter (and the combat has become like Quake) new player uptake is likely very low.

ย 

I recently returned to PvP with my Elementalist, after taking a break for several seasons, to finish my last set of legendary armor. I decided to not take it seriously this time, but still placed gold 3, so naturally most of the players in my games were platinums, and alot of themย  dual-queued. Immediately I remembered why I had quit PvP, because as soon as a game starts to turn to a loss, the toxicity immediately starts and its always the support's fault.

ย 

As I dropped down in rank from losses, the toxicity became alot less frequent, and players became alot more likely to just have me around, often thanking me even after a lost match .

ย 

Players need to stop spreading this myth that high rank means you're less tilted. What you actually mean to say is , you're less tilted against good players who are on your level, and you have calm games with such players. Otherwise, its no different than PvE game modes like Fractal CMs where the player not on your level gets walked all over. The only difference here is you can't kick them, so you just yell at them instead.

ย 

I talk trash in PvP too, but its at entire teams and almost always at the enemy, not allies. Please learn to either take the loss gracefully or find some way to direct it towards an enemy.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

On 3/22/2023 at 2:57 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Just the other day I was listening to a streamer who played in the early days of GW2. He was talking about how he'd PvPed so intently leading up to launch that at launch he and his team were doing 500-0 matches. Because combat in this game is so fast-paced compared to other MMOs, the skill ceiling is high.

To be fair, the game was twice as slow at launch. They've massively sped it up at this point.