Lack of endgame content, update

is arenanet aware that gw2 is better than WoW, BDO, final fantasy? 

there's a demand for more but ArenaNet is not doing anything they are ignoring the demand equals loss of profit.

Is it because the game does not have subscription like WoW? 

Edited by kawaiiboy.2685
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 29

They do not have anywhere close to the level of resources or brand value that WoW and FF14 has - those are the big AAA titles of the mmo genre
GW2 has always punched above its weight considering its IP, but there is only so much it can deliver (although it’s been consistently delivering endgame content for most of its life)

I’m pretty certain they are aware of their own product

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• kawaiiboy.2685 changed the title to Lack of endgame content, update
1 minute ago, kawaiiboy.2685 said:

that is not even complete. not enough 

I agree, but this has been discussed a lot recently. They are cutting back their open world output significantly with the desire to focus more across the board and also avoid crunches (which I support since crunches are an abhorrent practice).

GW2 might be the better game, but it’s not the bigger draw. Their lower resources - which after 11 years is prob going to be progressively less going forward - means smaller, more spread out over time content drops, which should at least cover more game modes

(Assuming this is a veiled sub fee thread)
No.

Also they are working on another expac and told us there will be more strikes, ms and even new fractals. And while i know that these things only count when they actually happen, it's looking better than in the past years for endgame content.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

(Assuming this is a veiled sub fee thread)
No.

Also they are working on another expac and told us there will be more strikes, ms and even new fractals. And while i know that these things only count when they actually happen, it's looking better than in the past years for endgame content.

when next year? I'm complaining about their slowness to update

• Like 2
  • Confused 10

1 hour ago, kawaiiboy.2685 said:

is arenanet aware that gw2 is better than WoW, BDO, final fantasy? 

there's a demand for more but ArenaNet is not doing anything they are ignoring the demand equals loss of profit.

Is it because the game does not have subscription like WoW? 

If GW2 had as many players willing to pay a subscription as WoW or FFXIV.  But it doesn't.  Moving to subscription now would likely just alienate a majority of the player base.  Don't get me wrong.  I'd be happy to pay a subscription if it meant GW2 could operate at the level of its larger competitors.  More game is worth the money to me.  But I don't think I am representative of the GW2 community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I spend vastly more on gw2 than a sub fee normally runs (although I have scaled back of late due to the direction of development). I do think that the quality of the most recent content additions (EoD and WLB) prevents them from serving as end game content for me, but they do exist. Hopefully a more frequent release schedule of smaller patches will allow more people to find end game content that works for them. If one release is a dud the next might be only a couple months away.

• Like 2

It's worth perhaps pointing out that if you would be willing to spend more on a GW2 subscription to help fund the game then you could personally put aside an appropriate amount of money to spend every month or two on the gem store.

That's pretty much what I do. I disapprove of "Freemium" monetization, at least GW2's is very mild compared to some, but I'm knowingly breaking my normal rule about not being sucked into paying on a Freemium store precisely because I do really enjoy GW2 and am actually willing to pay for it.

Individually it's minor, but it is presumably how GW2/Arena Net is a successful business, enough people really like the game that they will pay for it.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, kawaiiboy.2685 said:

when next year? I'm complaining about their slowness to update

Don't confuse your unreasonable expectations for Anet to release content with any slowness to update you want to claim is happening. Anet is releasing content with a schedule that is inline with every expansion we have had to date. If you're expectations are based on anything but that, your complaints are baseless. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, kawaiiboy.2685 said:

that is not even complete. not enough 

Thing is, for some mmo players there will never be enough content added no matter the amount of content the game gives. Burning through what they see as endgame while not focusing on other things the game offer. Anet has an amazing game and provides us with entertainment and new content when they can. They’re not a big company and have less resources than other “big” mmos.

When you enjoy the game for what it is, it becomes a much more enjoyable game to play. It has a lot to offer when it comes to endgame. Wether or not you see it as endgame is a different thing though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

You also have to bear in mind that changing the business model wouldn't change the fact that it's not possible for developers to make content faster than players can complete it because that's true for everyone (not even just MMOs). Instead those subscription games rely on requiring players to repeat content over and over, hopefully (from their perspective) until the next thing comes out, so they keep paying for access to it. You don't get more to do, you just spend more time doing it.

Even Elder Scrolls Online which had to drop the mandatory subscription model years ago because not enough people were willing to pay for it is currently working on an 'endless dungeon' as a way to keep players busy in between updates. Thankfully they also dropped the gear and level treadmill a few years ago because they found it was just burning players out, so it probably won't be required. But still, that's their solution to being unable to make stuff as fast as players complete it.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

You also have to bear in mind that changing the business model wouldn't change the fact that it's not possible for developers to make content faster than players can complete it because that's true for everyone (not even just MMOs). Instead those subscription games rely on requiring players to repeat content over and over, hopefully (from their perspective) until the next thing comes out, so they keep paying for access to it. You don't get more to do, you just spend more time doing it.

Even Elder Scrolls Online which had to drop the mandatory subscription model years ago because not enough people were willing to pay for it is currently working on an 'endless dungeon' as a way to keep players busy in between updates. Thankfully they also dropped the gear and level treadmill a few years ago because they found it was just burning players out, so it probably won't be required. But still, that's their solution to being unable to make stuff as fast as players complete it.

True. But more content is better and those bigger games do deliver a great deal more content.

• Confused 6

59 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

True. But more content is better and those bigger games do deliver a great deal more content.

..Because they are bigger names, with bigger IPs, and have been around VASTLY longer via other games compared to gw1 which has only been around since 2005. FF dates all the way back to the 90s. WoW dates back to 2004, which gw1 used their mmo set-up as a baseline for their game. GW2 had to compete with behemoths like SWTOR in 2011-12 because of literally having Star Wars tagged on its name. I am also pretty sure ESO was coming out at that point and we're not gonna talk about the plethora of games Elder Scrolls has.

You are really comparing a two game company to companies that have been around since the older generation was in their early thirties, late twenties and for me, when I was a literal infant.

People using this complaint really need to think their comments through because these sort of claims absolutely no sense.

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Dreams.3128 said:

..Because they are bigger names, with bigger IPs, and have been around VASTLY longer via other games compared to gw1 which has only been around since 2005. FF dates all the way back to the 90s. WoW dates back to 2004, which gw1 used their mmo set-up as a baseline for their game. GW2 had to compete with behemoths like SWTOR in 2011-12 because of literally having Star Wars tagged on its name. I am also pretty sure ESO was coming out at that point and we're not gonna talk about the plethora of games Elder Scrolls has.

You are really comparing a two game company to companies that have been around since the older generation was in their early thirties, late twenties and for me, when I was a literal infant.

People using this complaint really need to think their comments through because these sort of claims absolutely no sense.

It makes perfect sense when you're comparing products on their merits and not making excuses for the insufficiencies of your favored product.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

It makes perfect sense when you're comparing products on their merits and not making excuses for the insufficiencies of your favored product.

That's not an excuse if these are actually facts though. And if you want to nit pick and get really specific, you really can't compare WoW to GW2 to each other because those are two vastly different pay models that have different goals and expectations. You can compared WoW to FF, SWTOR to WoW, or even ESO to SWTOR, but you can't compared any of those things to GW2 because their models are not the same no matter how many times people claim otherwise.

Now if you would've said something like GW2 to Phantasy Star Online 2 New Generation than I would've agreed with you since those two are aiming for the same thing.

Edit: Also I just remembered, GW2 also just attracts a way different audience than any of those games do. So can be please make actual equal and accurate comparisons? Thank you.

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Dreams.3128 said:

That's not an excuse if these are actually facts though. And if you want to nit pick and get really specific, you really can't compare WoW to GW2 to each other because those are two vastly different pay models that have different goals and expectations. You can compared WoW to FF, SWTOR to WoW, or even ESO to SWTOR, but you can't compared any of those things to GW2 because their models are not the same no matter how many times people claim otherwise.

Now if you would've said something like GW2 to Phantasy Star Online 2 New Generation than I would've agreed with you since those two are aiming for the same thing.

Edit: Also I just remembered, GW2 also just attracts a way different audience than any of those games do. So can be please make actual equal and accurate comparisons? Thank you.

I'm glad you've arbitrarily determined that these games cannot be compared to each other.  We wouldn't want to discuss anything that might cast GW2 in a less-than-positive light, would we?

• Like 4
  • Confused 7

7 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I'm glad you've arbitrarily determined that these games cannot be compared to each other.  We wouldn't want to discuss anything that might cast GW2 in a less-than-positive light, would we?

So the fact that you're just assuming I'm trying to defend this game and its flaws is astounding and just shows how incredibly lost you are from the point I was trying to make. This was a truly pointless and disappointing discussion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I never understand why people come to GW2 and ask for the game to change.  The game is great and the staff they have does a wonderful job for what resources they have.  There is plenty of content for everyone and if someone wants specific content then say specifically what they are looking for instead of saying they want more.  I buy gems with money when I can to help support the developers.   I do enjoy exploring everything, including all the easter egg conversations from the NPC's.   

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

9 hours ago, Dreams.3128 said:

All irrelevant to the fact that GW2 is competing for the same gamer dollar that those other games are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Dreams.3128 said:

So the fact that you're just assuming I'm trying to defend this game and its flaws is astounding and just shows how incredibly lost you are from the point I was trying to make. This was a truly pointless and disappointing discussion.

It was pointless from the moment you entered the conversation assuming that I support moving GW2 to a subscription and don't understand the differences between ANet and Blizzard and why what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other.  

I made two simple observations in the single-sentence post you replied to: That more content is better and that those bigger games with more resources have more content.  As the consumer, I'm not obligated to care whether it's fair to the development studio to expect a "better" (defined in this instance as "more content") product.  Either I'm satisfied with the product or I'm not and whether or not it's a fair comparison, FFXIV and WoW are competitors for GW2 in the MMO space and both are offering more content.

See also my initial post in this thread:

If GW2 had as many players willing to pay a subscription as WoW or FFXIV.  But it doesn't.  Moving to subscription now would likely just alienate a majority of the player base.  Don't get me wrong.  I'd be happy to pay a subscription if it meant GW2 could operate at the level of its larger competitors.  More game is worth the money to me.  But I don't think I am representative of the GW2 community.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2