Someone just told me Sword is one of the best weapons on warrior

GamerToad.9248

9 minutes ago, GamerToad.9248 said:

Yeah that's it like straight up saying me that sword is one of the best weapons for warrior.. even with its burst skill..

are the right?

Did he mean Greatsword or possible Gunsaber?

Sword does have potential, but a top tier weapon it is not.

That said I fully endorse anyone playing what they find the most fun, benchmarks/performance be damned.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Did he mean Greatsword or possible Gunsaber?

Sword does have potential, but a top tier weapon it is not.

That said I fully endorse anyone playing what they find the most fun, benchmarks/performance be damned.

Base warrior in a wvw context since i was saying sword is bad designed.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GamerToad.9248 said:

Then they have not used the other weapons yet.

Keep in mind I want to love MH sword, but the MH sword that I want in this game does not exist in any meaningful sense.

It is our only MH Condi weapon, so if they were playing a condi/hybrid build then, sure it is fine. The burst does have the same strike damage as Eviscerate in WvW, but is not as usable.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Sword is far from being the worst Warrior weapon, and it has its use in many builds because of the immobilize spam when traited and running a crippling sigil too. Most players just say its bad because they associate swords with power weapons and on Warrior it has no use for a power build.

I think sword is only really used cause is one of the 2 condi weapon warrior has.

and how you get to use 2 weapons you don't have much of a choice do you?

and immob spam? that a ranger thing warrior on power will use stuns and on condi they use sword cause well you have no choice and berserker flaming flurry is quite neat being a better version of sword f1 being self rooting dealing medíocre power damage and applying bleeding the worst condi in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are wrong. Even if they had put a great in front of the sword, I'd disagree with them.

Sword may be the most reasonable main hand weapon to pair with Torch on a condition Berserker, but that is more of an edge case than anything else, as condition Berserkers are a rare breed (at least from my observations).

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sword really isn’t that bad, sword 2 is a very fast and low CD leap, it isn’t great as an engage tool but it’s incredible for escapes. Sword 3 can be tricky to land but is a perfectly functional execute. Sword 4 is another excellent skill for both power and condi - impale into rip absolutely chunks and usually sets up a final thrust. Sword 5 is also decent, very low cd block that continues to block projectiles for the full duration. Flurry I admit is kinda jank but if you stow cast it’s a fairly decent immob after getting the hang of it, it’s also a cleaving immob which is nice - it’d be better if it applied the immob upon initially striking an enemy though, rather than on the first tick of flurry.

Devil’s advocacy aside the weapon set could Still use some love, just offering my 2C.

54 minutes ago, GamerToad.9248 said:

I think sword is only really used cause is one of the 2 condi weapon warrior has.

and how you get to use 2 weapons you don't have much of a choice do you?

The real funny part is that the condi bunker spb uses MH dagger, not sword. On a condi build MH sword loses to a power weapon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

MH sword would be so much better (in competitive, at least) if flurry and final thrust had 240 range. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of other things that would be nice too (like flurry being unrooted; the immobilize being applied whenever a target is hit, not only on the first hit; and having a reduced cast time). But the range increase alone would be a massive step forward.

• Like 3

it's not entirely incorrect in a pve context, if talking about condi zerk or something
but also condi zerk's like the worst dps build war really has atm, so it's... not very good relative to power weapons on power builds

and in pvp unless you snipe someone with a final thrust in wvw it's not that great either lol
flaming flurry's okay, significantly better at hitting moving targets than it used to be

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 1:43 AM, GamerToad.9248 said:

Sword Is bad. But what else you gonna use in your Main Hand? 

In zergs, you want Warhorn for support. 

Mh Mace is a joke in that scenario and Mh Axe just does dmg and that is not your job anyway. 

Like, you have better things to do then go 1111111 on Axe. 

Sword atleast gives mobility with 2.

So yes, sword is used because the only usefull Mh weapon skill on Warrior is Sword leap. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I run my warrior sw/sw core (strength, arms, tactics), celestial stats, with as much might generation and might-healing as I can make happen.... and I have a ton of fun that way.  He's a self-healing juggernaut in a fight w/o needing to touch defense or elite traits.  Sword is not a condi weapon, it's a hybrid weapon, and shines when played as such.

Best? *shrug* not by most people's standards; if only because there are few decent builds that can utilize it well.  While I definitely enjoy playing sword over all the warrior's other choices, I'd be surprised if the person who claimed it was the best was being genuine.

~EpWa

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Err, how is sword not a condi weapon? Almost every skill applies condition, can't imagine how useful it is using power stats.
It's not terrible but outside of sword 2 it's just very mediocre.
Flurry sucks pp, impale can deal decent damage but design wise not exactly fun to use, riposte is also kind of meh, thrust is ok I guess..

Edited by Greyrat.2378

3 hours ago, Greyrat.2378 said:

Err, how is sword not a condi weapon? Almost every skill applies condition, can't imagine how useful it is using power stats.

IME bleed isn't strong enough of a condition to rely mostly on for a condition build... and unfortunately sword relies too heavy on it. You get some torment from sw4 and some burn from zerk if you build that route, but it's not reliable or stackable to large quantities.  Other prof condi weapons can rely on bleed, but will also rely more heavily on other sources of condi damage.  Bleed is still good for supplementary or hybrid damage, though.

Then, look at the power modifiers in the sword skills...  Sw1: .8,.8,1.2.  Sw2: 2. Sw3: 1.5. Sw4: 1.5,2. Sw5: 1.  Condi-only weapons have much worse power modifiers.  But, for a hybrid weapon they're pretty solid as is their base strike damage.

That's why I say it's a hybrid weapon... when you stat power and condition damage, the sword while not amazing at either one combines both into something pretty strong to work with. 

~EpWa

edit: P.S. With a MMR + Mending Might + PS build, the might not only gets utilized fully, but it turns sw4 into a decent low-CD heal skill, esp when allies are around.  There's good synergy to be found in such an old-school build.

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643
  • Thanks 1

big oof for warrior

while having more weapons, every weapon become limited so they can seperate use for each of them.

sword only has mobility, mace only has cc, axe only has damage.

this kind of separation is clearly outdated, and they made dagger which is simply sword+mace+axe.

and dev had no idea what they are doing.

sword is a dps weapon(condi berserker) axe is a dps weapon

but why sword has mobility, axe does not?

this is so weird.

and why mace does condition damage in berserker, and the rest of the kits are just pure CC, there's not a single weapon in this game that only does CC and nothing else.

give mace some supportive properties, like maybe apply aoe boon or aoe barrier..

like they make axe a dps weapon, of course, it's pure dps, and does nothing else,

but then you also have other classes with dps builds that brings extra free stuff, maybe CC or mobility.

but of course, they can't make axe top dps, they will make every dps builds does similar dps.

so axe just become this boring dps that only does dps that is similar to others..and nothing else..

Edited by felix.2386
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

they need to drop the old roles, axe only dps, sword only mobility, mace only CC

it doesnt apply anymore.

they need to give real roles, mace supportive weapon, axe damage weapon, sword hybrid/condition weapons

so mace can have other supportive mechanics, axe can have other utilities that can combo with dps like mobility or maybe CC

sword can allow more viable damage options outside of flaming flurry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sword is garbage. Mainhand and offhand.

The auto deals no damage.

The mobility part is the only thing is has going for it but even if you are in range sword 2 has like a 5 % chance to hit the target in wvw/pvp.

Sword 3 only deals good damage if the enemy is below 50% hp and has very low range and a super long animation so this skill practically never hits aswell.

Sword 4 is a slow projectile that also almost never connects with the target and does trash dmg anyway.

Sword 5 is the worst version of all the blocks on any weapon for all classes. It only blocks a single hit and the counter attack has no evade attached to it. It also deals very low damage.

And the F1 skill roots yourself, has a long animation , has low range and does trash damage.

And even if you play condi it sucks because most of your conditions are low amounts of bleed... the weakest condition in the game.

Just like rifle this weapon only sees some use because of the improved berserker burst skill that actually does something.

Whoever told you that sword belongs to the best weapons was trolling you or they were new to the game.

• Confused 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:16 PM, EphemeralWallaby.7643 said:

IME bleed isn't strong enough of a condition to rely mostly on for a condition build... and unfortunately sword relies too heavy on it. You get some torment from sw4 and some burn from zerk if you build that route, but it's not reliable or stackable to large quantities.  Other prof condi weapons can rely on bleed, but will also rely more heavily on other sources of condi damage.  Bleed is still good for supplementary or hybrid damage, though.

Then, look at the power modifiers in the sword skills...  Sw1: .8,.8,1.2.  Sw2: 2. Sw3: 1.5. Sw4: 1.5,2. Sw5: 1.  Condi-only weapons have much worse power modifiers.  But, for a hybrid weapon they're pretty solid as is their base strike damage.

That's why I say it's a hybrid weapon... when you stat power and condition damage, the sword while not amazing at either one combines both into something pretty strong to work with. 

~EpWa

edit: P.S. With a MMR + Mending Might + PS build, the might not only gets utilized fully, but it turns sw4 into a decent low-CD heal skill, esp when allies are around.  There's good synergy to be found in such an old-school build.

Thanks for the elaboration, I will give it a shot.
Would you mind to share the build?

Edited by Greyrat.2378
  • Like 1