I'm tired of extremely high level characters tearing through low level zones.

At least in gw2, max level characters get downscaled in both level and gear statwise, so while they may be max for whatever area of a low level zone, they won't be one-shotting everything like other MMOs allow them to.

And add to that, there's no node stealing, kill stealing or loot stealing, so as long as you also play the same events and tag mobs or contribute, you will get your share of the rewards... which really is just how MMOs should work.

Now try WoW, BDO, Archeage and the likes and come back with a comparison afterwards and whether this really is such a problem in GW2.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I feel for you. Even when I am playing a maxed out lvl 80 I have a hard time tagging an event sometimes because it seems like a lot of players want to "show off". My only advice is to make sure you have a good ranged weapon available to tag events. Players need to balance when to turn the heat on for a boss or when to tag and walk away so others get  credit too.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Now try WoW, BDO, Archeage and the likes and come back with a comparison afterwards and whether this really is such a problem in GW2.

What other games do is completely irrelevant when we're talking about this game. For a ridiculous analogy to drive this point home, that's like trying to say it's okay that your room is on fire because the house next door is fully engulfed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7

On 5/29/2023 at 10:43 PM, Endaris.1452 said:

The other half is definitely traits. Empowering Flame gives 43 power to the ele (150 on level 80) and No Scope gives 43 ferocity to the engi (150 on level 80), so while gear is appropriately nerfed, level 80 characters obviously enjoy the full benefits of having 3 unnerfed traitlines at their disposal.

I agree that traits are an issue.  I believe this to be the biggest issue with down-scaling.  This is compounded by the fact that low level characters do not have the same access to traits.  Three full bars of synergized traits probably do way more to kill everything super efficiently than raw stats.

Just my 2 copper.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Could just have low level events include player levels in the scaling calculation.

Level 10 area....

A level 80 player counts as 4 level 10 players.  Therefore an 80 and a 10 together count as 5 players, scale up the encounters accordingly?

This could even be more fun for beginners because they get to see actual fights, and get better rewards from basic mobs turned into vets and champs more quickly.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 6
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Could just have low level events include player levels in the scaling calculation.

Level 10 area....

A level 80 player counts as 4 level 10 players.  Therefore an 80 and a 10 together count as 5 players, scale up the encounters accordingly?

This could even be more fun for beginners because they get to see actual fights, and get better rewards from basic mobs turned into vets and champs more quickly.

Imagine 5 players with boosted characters try to fight an army of tamini centaurs in Queensdale. Good luck with that.

• Confused 3

8 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Therefore an 80 and a 10 together count as 5 players, scale up the encounters accordingly?

I don't think an actual newbie would appreciate that because it takes away their power to have an impact.

I also don't think that a level 80 is actually worth 4 level 10 characters at all with how downscaling works - 2 at best. I gave some testing data earlier in the thread.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Treacy.4067 said:

What other games do is completely irrelevant when we're talking about this game.

It was for reference because OP mentioned it as a problem in ither MMOs themselves. And I wanted to highlight that it's a much smaller issue in gw2, albeit gw2 is not perfect either, but at least they do try to downscale players and have a lot of mechanics in place to alleviate the issue of max level chars coming back to starter zones.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Except WoW doesn't really give you a reason to go back. You're trying to compare games that are basically "level up and get lost" to a game that regurarly asks you to go back to starter zones for specific dailies, collections and such.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

It was for reference because OP mentioned it as a problem in ither MMOs themselves. And I wanted to highlight that it's a much smaller issue in gw2, albeit gw2 is not perfect either, but at least they do try to downscale players and have a lot of mechanics in place to alleviate the issue of max level chars coming back to starter zones.

There is still an issue despite those measures though and I don't see the point of whataboutism when it doesn't alleviate or solve the problem here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, eutha six.5647 said:

There is often the same players in starting zones not letting lowbies tag during events-they literally hover over with skyscale until an event-drop down-and wipe everything over and over-it is pretty much griefing imo as people in map get frustrated

Is this during dailies for those zones? If it is, they're just waiting for 4 events to complete and then they leave. If it isn't, I don't think I ever seen that, so I'm curious about more details, where do they so frequently "hover" to deny new players? 

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

Lets reduce the Might effect (to 15 str per stack)and Quickness (to20%) globally .

Boom !!! fixed the problems with :

a) Down scalling

b) using more damage to bypass mechanic in the high end instances

(or any chance  the first 10x Might stacks offer 35 str , and have a slight chance for their auto-attack/spell to have no cd/reset//random 500 damage . But going over 20x stacks , it mutates to superMight and the Str is reduced and double the chance of the random damage). This will help some people with the Quickeness also in solo+uncordinated groups, where they could carry harder strangers , by having the 50% Quickness , while the perma-boons groups are not the ONLY-GOAL-PEOPLE-SHOULD-STRIVE-TO  )

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

23 hours ago, Kenzo.6124 said:

Imagine 5 players with boosted characters try to fight an army of tamini centaurs in Queensdale. Good luck with that.

Why would that be hard?

5 level 80s can take down fractal bosses.  5 level 80s can pretty much beat most of the strongest open world mobs in the game.

And a single level 80 will melt through 10+ veteran monsters no problem.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Why would that be hard?

5 level 80s can take down fractal bosses.  5 level 80s can pretty much beat most of the strongest open world mobs in the game.

And a single level 80 will melt through 10+ veteran monsters no problem.

And you have level 80s who complain about they don't know how to combo in a story mission.

Anet's mostly balancing towards the majority.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

And you have level 80s who complain about they don't know how to combo in a story mission.

Anet's mostly balancing towards the majority.

100% Join any meta and watch 6 players doing as much damage, boons or healing as 40 others. No hate, but it shows clearly the majority of players don’t even use a minimum of the potential. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 5/30/2023 at 2:14 AM, drachehexe.6425 said:

It's not just in this game, almost every MMO I've played in the last couple of years always had high level characters making new character sin that zone struggle to finish quests and special encounters.  I am pretty much a GW2 noob.  I had several 60ish level characters a while back but came back to the game just this last week and decided to start over so I created a new character and deleted all my old ones. 

Now I am going through starting zones and have several times encountered extremely high leveled players just tearing up the zone killing everything in one shot leaving nothing for new character to do, including the special event encounters where there is no time to engage and be a part of the event to get the rewards, not to mention how boring the event is anyways even with rewards because it ends almost instantly with these selfish players just dropping them so quickly.   And they are EVERYWHERE almost all the time.  While I've seen this in other games like WoW, ESO, and others it's the most egregious and disruptive in this game.

It doesn't help that most of these arrogant, selfish players are not in the least apologetic.  Why is this behavior allowed?  Why aren't these super high leveled characters banned from starting areas, or at least unable to interfere with new players?  They're stealing all the fun out of the early stages.

Compared to your post - accusations of me being racist in my own post just look ridiculous 🤣

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/29/2023 at 6:14 PM, drachehexe.6425 said:

I'm tired of extremely high level characters tearing through low level zones

Nothing you can do about experienced players. They'd perform above expectations in comparison to a newer player regardless of the circumstances. Thanks to level scaling they're not particularly more powerful than the newer player. The playing field is relatively even. The more experienced player is almost certainly properly geared and with their traits in order, sure, but again you can't do much about that player existing short of locking them out of new player areas.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 3:31 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Is this during dailies for those zones? If it is, they're just waiting for 4 events to complete and then they leave. If it isn't, I don't think I ever seen that, so I'm curious about more details, where do they so frequently "hover" to deny new players? 

The answer to that question always seems to be silence. Makes you wonder if it is just the pot calling kettle black with people complaining about it because they themselves are lv80s having trouble completing the dailies while using "think of the children" as a cover. That correlates with map chat on those days. Not of people complaining but people asking about events despite the fact that I see multiple events up.

There are some problems caused by how the game's different systems interact with each other. They are easy enough to deal with but some people are either ignorant or just refuse to learn. An important one is map completion. Trying to do event daily on a map you don't have 100% completion is annoying. It would help a lot if the Content Guide had a "Only show events" and ideally "Show all events and only events".  Years ago they made a change to only show the * for the closest event although due to consistent inconsistency there are exceptions of course. 🙂

One of the easiest workaround is simply to WP around which has the effect of changing which is closest but people seem to think a few silvers from using WP is going to break the bank.

• Haha 1

I am usually aware of my surroundings when running in low level zones and there are a few things I try to do (to various succes)

1. When possible, do completion in locations not heavily populated by new players
2. Try to be aware of low level players nearby and wait till they damage the mobs, before going in for the kill
3. On bosses I often use Turtle if a low level player is nearby and invite them to hop on for shared participation. 

Other than that, you cannot fully prevent it always. There are high level achievements in low level maps. There are even achievements tied to gen1 legendaries in starter zone maps.

Most players appreceate it, when they notice I wait for them to get their damage in.

• Like 1