afk wall running

Smoky.9724

afk wall running is getting to be a plague, esp when there is a que and ESP on reset night.

if ya got to afk for more then 3-5 mins, go out of wvw or the game when their is people in que to play.

I'd be nice to have a GM monitor resets and heavy que times.  Just simple kick people out of wvw and have them join the que.

it'd also be nice for abusers not to be able to join wvw for a day, but can still play eotm and pve/pvp

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Justine.6351 said:

The mods couldnt get Into the map because of the que.

Nonono you misunderstood the OP. He said "Just simple kick people out of wvw and have them join the queue".

So if a mod go online and see an EBG queue of 50, he simply kicks everyone already on EBG so that those 50 join and whoever of the kicked is fast enough to rejoin before the queue start.

Then just do it again after 10 minutes. 

Sounds perfectly fine for me.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Nonono you misunderstood the OP. He said "Just simple kick people out of wvw and have them join the queue".

So if a mod go online and see an EBG queue of 50, he simply kicks everyone already on EBG so that those 50 join and whoever of the kicked is fast enough to rejoin before the queue start.

Then just do it again after 10 minutes. 

Sounds perfectly fine for me.

Honestly they should do this every 5 minutes, for every server, in both regions!

• Haha 1

I've proposed this before. If they could possibly add a line or to of code that records if the person is actually covering any distance. Much like when someone stands still for too long they get sent to the loading screen make it so they actually have to cover distance to be counted as moving. So if a person is running into a wall or corner for the same amount of time as when they kick for being idle simply kick them from WvW. Take into account siege use of course.

• Like 1

It might be an easy but good start to kick people staying in spawn area after X minutes.  Anywhere else you are at least subject to potentially being attacked.  It would be far from a complete solution but would be a start.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ubi.4136 said:

TC has people that "AFK" run into walls for entire matches, 24/7.  No amount of reporting has ever removed them.  Anet literally does not care.  Oddly enough, if I set myself to autorun at a wall, I disconnect after about 7 minutes, so I really don't get how all these people avoid the AFK timer kick.

Because it's not really the auto running that's doing anything. They are setting a skill to auto cast by ctrl right clicking it. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 7:02 PM, Ubi.4136 said:

Oddly enough, if I set myself to autorun at a wall, I disconnect after about 7 minutes, so I really don't get how all these people avoid the AFK timer kick.

I tested it once some time ago during off-peak when there was no queue: I could run at least for 60 minutes to a wall. And then I stopped my test. So I guess it could have been a lot longer... 

1 hour ago, Zikory.6871 said:

Because it's not really the auto running that's doing anything. They are setting a skill to auto cast by ctrl right clicking it. 

It was just the auto-running. There was no skill auto-cast.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

I tested it once some time ago during off-peak when there was no queue: I could run at least for 60 minutes to a wall. And then I stopped my test. So I guess it could have been a lot longer... 

It was just the auto-running. There was no skill auto-cast.

Could be, I rarely do it. But when I do, I only use a auto cast skill. 

10 hours ago, Zikory.6871 said:

When I need to be afk for some minutes I put my toon run and never got kick of the map. When I do that it's just because have bio needs, feed my cats or get something to eat/drink and it doesnt takes me more than 10min and when I do it, do it quickly because I hate afk ppl doing that

• Like 2

Some of the cause of this is likely due to the fact the rewards are time driven, not event driven (otherwise, I can't really imagine why someone would just have someone sitting in WvW doing nothing).  So they are probably not fully AFK (come back periodically to do something to keep participation), or perhaps they are doing this at the end of their play time (before going to bed or whatever) to get those rewards, knowing they can get their participation up quickly the next day when they return.

• Thanks 1

I played so many years on a server that could only muster 30-35 active people on the map before there is a queue, that I sympathize with you guys. It was so obvious enemy had double numbers every day and we had 40+ people doing centaur PvE event or afking while enemy was blobbing down our garrison.

Essentially what I am trying to say is that you guys don't have it so bad: there are true PvE servers out there with terrible queues and over half people afk.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 7:02 PM, Ubi.4136 said:

TC has people that "AFK" run into walls for entire matches, 24/7.  No amount of reporting has ever removed them.  Anet literally does not care.  Oddly enough, if I set myself to autorun at a wall, I disconnect after about 7 minutes, so I really don't get how all these people avoid the AFK timer kick.

They're not auto running. They're putting something on the keyboard to keep the W key pressed.

Edit: or using a third-party macro tool to keep it pressed

Edited by Razi.6031

Not agreeing or disagreeing to the idea, but looking at it from a coding perspective, the code would need to look at it as a region of the map that the player has not left in 'x' amount of time. That might be feasible and be inbounds of logic they already have. Note the might bites since that is an assumption.

Given how buggy many of the boundaries for things are, I wouldn't expect such a boundary for participation to work much better - the players would just find a spot where they can put their character and be out of such bounds and still get credit.

And then you have things like the home garrison, which is generally pretty safe, but should count for participation - based on past changes (defense events), I certainly wouldn't trust things to only give participation rewards when the garrison is under attack.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Almost a year later, and still a big issue.

Offer a bounty system that rewards players for reporting these players for what they are doing.  It's botting, and it affects other players by locking them out of content.

Encourage players to report, so that people actually report them when they see them.  As it sits now, people are so jaded, they don't report at all anymore.  If you offer a reward, and players know they'll get some gold or other item in the mail, they'll report.  It will also cause chronic abusers to get multiple reports, and make it CLEAR to Anet who the problem players are.

Anet this is a problem you've let fester for years.  Get on it.

• Confused 1

I suspect that rewarding players for reporting botters will result in that getting abused pretty quickly - people reporting anyone that remotely looks like they are AFK, even if that person is not, just for the rewards.  So then you need to add a system to punish players who report for now good reason.

And the thing is, Anet will not ban someone based only on reports - they need to send a GM there to verify that in fact the person is AFK (by sending them a GM message asking if they are AFK).  So even if 20 people report someone as AFK in some area, that GM still needs to show up and verify it.  And that is likely the real reason not a lot is done - sending a GM requires actual human time investment, and Anet just doesn't consider the problem with the cost policing it.

• Haha 1

The solution is still the same. Move some of the skirmish tickets and wxp to tradable boxes. No more motivation to afk in wvw since farming g in pve and buying wvw stuff is better and actual wvwers get something to sell for g. It's a win win.

11 hours ago, Coldtart.4785 said:

The solution is still the same. Move some of the skirmish tickets and wxp to tradable boxes. No more motivation to afk in wvw since farming g in pve and buying wvw stuff is better and actual wvwers get something to sell for g. It's a win win.

This is an interesting idea. You would need to change GoB too though. But this might have a counter impact of more players doing it since they could sell these goods so we might end up with more wall runners afterwards. Something to consider especially with still so many people now converted to work from home where they could be working and have a side monitor open for other things.

This wouldn't address wall runners that need to deal with life, kids, pets, quick emergencies, ones that are in queued maps, spies, alt-block accounts and the various others. 

On 4/9/2024 at 8:31 AM, Coldtart.4785 said:

Wall running in WvW seems to be done mainly to get around the idle timeout when people log in early before a guild raid or something similar so that they don't have to wait in a queue later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

@TheGrimm.5624

But, wall running doesn't give you participation. You'd need a squad with some active people keeping participation up by doing something.

Agree. More the issue is if we make the things that have value in WvW tradeable we might see more players doing the least they can to gain the most.