When is necro going to be good?

Vile.4387

I need stealth teleports to players with 20k damage instantly, or faceroll with every boon in the game to dive and deal damage while blocking at the same time. When do necro's get to do stuff like that? Don't tell me harbinger either, they are the most masochistic low life garbage characters in the game, needs dedicated healbot to keep me alive. When do I get stability? When do I get escapes and mobility worth using? I want to teleport around like a mexican jumping bean, then flee when I am at 25% health. Maybe I can get stealth to break line of sight, or maybe a way to detect it instead? Possibly a great way to combat those people that like to facetank all my damage, then one shot me from 1500 meters. Maybe I can go invisible and then oneshot people from stealth, or perhaps get multiple clones of me to soak up AOE attacks that tickle me anyways. Who needs damage when your entire purpose is to boonrip in zerg fights. What do I do when I am not in a zerg, and just die to everything in the game? Why does necro suck? "Necro's are pretty good." - Anet Dev

Edited by Vile.4387
  • Like 10
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 1

If this is spvp, condi reaper farms. Harbinger is still fine into most comps. And core necro is still very playable. If wvw roaming Harbinger dominates and core is stil serviceable. If pve ( which obviously the op is not asking but for a  comprehensive take) scourge is busted and you can pump on Harb and reaper like crazy now.

Necro is an attrition style of fighting. You have a larger health pool, lots of sustainability and sustained dps pressure. The classes with stealth are squishy and typically thier only way of engaging or disengaging the fight.

Necro has been strong since HoT, turned into a god spec in PoF and has been strong if not out right over powered in all game modes.

So I only slightly disagree...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, Vile.4387 said:

I need stealth teleports to players with 20k damage instantly, or faceroll with every boon in the game to dive and deal damage while blocking at the same time. When do necro's get to do stuff like that? 

Hopefully they never get that. Anyone that believes the answer to fixing things in the game is to give them broken mechanics has NO interest in improving the quality of the game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Vile.4387 said:

What do I do when I am not in a zerg, and just die to everything in the game?

you learn to play?

I'm recking absolutely everything in WvW (in a zerg or while solo roaming). Sooner or later, I will have an entire group or even a zerg forming just to kill me. Even thieves had to bring two more just to try and kill me.

and in PvE? You're kidding, right? You can decimate or face tank just about anything!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not big in PvP or WvW. But Reaper and Harbinger are both pretty good right now. I'm not 100% on that since I'm hearing it second hand.

As for PvE, Necromancer is doing pretty well. Harbinger is pretty strong atm, Reaper is really strong and pug friendly and Scourge is still decent for ranged fights.

Ironically, I actually expect Harbinger to get nerfed in PvE soon. Primarily their quickness output because they can do with while running full Viper's. Which is something Anet has been trying to move away from. They seem to want boon supports to run some concentration through gear, which Harbinger doesn't need to do currently.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 6:42 AM, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

you learn to play?

I'm recking absolutely everything in WvW (in a zerg or while solo roaming). Sooner or later, I will have an entire group or even a zerg forming just to kill me. Even thieves had to bring two more just to try and kill me.

and in PvE? You're kidding, right? You can decimate or face tank just about anything!

Might I ask for your build in spvp and wvw roamning please? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I can't do it, sorry. If I do, everyone is going to run it, and then ArenaNet will nerf it to the ground. I already see way too many Reapers popping out after a group wipe once or twice while fighting me.

Lol ya oki

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/7/2023 at 11:58 AM, Dietzen.6127 said:

Might I ask for your build in spvp and wvw roamning please? 🙂

Theres no secret builds for reaper, the builds for zergs are incredibly simple. Even roaming builds usually just revolve around throwing on as much dragon gear as possible and juggling around bm/cr/sr to your liking.

8 hours ago, Nefras.7314 said:

Theres no secret builds for reaper, the builds for zergs are incredibly simple. Even roaming builds usually just revolve around throwing on as much dragon gear as possible and juggling around bm/cr/sr to your liking.

not really. While I use the same build for both, there is no way to beat a roaming Thief or Mesmer with Reaper unless they're trash. In such cases, you have to switch to core Necro (most will run right away). The real secret is to switch your traits, skills, gear and even specs as needed. Luckily, we have 2 gear tabs and 3 build tabs by default.

On 6/5/2023 at 8:23 PM, Jedrik.3109 said:

Necro is an attrition style of fighting. You have a larger health pool, lots of sustainability and sustained dps pressure. The classes with stealth are squishy and typically thier only way of engaging or disengaging the fight.

Do we still pretend this is true, 10 years later?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Shadowpeixera.2918 said:

Do we still pretend this is true, 10 years later?

Anyone who still believes this has been gaslit by the devs.

Necro will always lose a battle of attrition. Pretty much any class can outsustain necro with proper play by utilizing superior mobility, raw healing, and active defenses.

Necro doesnt have many ways to resustain its primary health bar on top of having to "sustain" its only active defense. You will run out of life force eventually. Meanwhile that mesmer just has to wait for its 20s invul chain to come off cooldown.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I don't expect anybody to be an expert. I'm even side-eyeing a few replies as somebody who plays mostly PvE. However, even those are better than a post from somebody who either needs to play a Harbinger (Elixir of Ambition, anybody?) or team up with a Thief or Mesmer.

On another note, how the heck are you getting steamrolled during PvE as a Necro? I get it if you're fighting in an expac zone. You can usually win, though.

• Confused 1

"Second health bar" vs extra dodges, invul frames, etc made sence in 2012, when the average damage of "a hit" was, like, four or five thousand. The invervening decade made the damage that a single invul/prot/stab/dodge/block increase by literally at least 2x, while our """"""second health bar"""""" became either our DPS resource, a barrier at half strength, or outright bloody gone.
People are really high on 2012 class fantasy here when they say "oh necro has second health bar to balance it out".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1