Well that's the end of sword gameplay...why ruin a defensive weapon?

Arheundel.6451

Let me get this straight...:

-I lose not one but both about face movements which were integral to sword gameplay to avoid incoming bursts and make perfect use of combo fields

-Now I have 2x very predictable and trackable leaps with a single evade so that I eat all incoming burst

It completely ruined sword. just so that pvers can increase their golem benchmark by a little, you removed 60% of the defensive abilities of sword for a little power component, effectively turning Ranger sword in a Bizarro version of MH dagger.....absolutely kittening brilliant!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

5 minutes ago, BumboJumbo.1308 said:

Mainhand sword is trash. It's packed with alot of utility when the offhands are also mostly utility based.

I don't understand the need for about-facing when it comes to sword.

Cause the old school sword/warhorn -   longbow build had all the evades packed in longbow .. right??? bruh

Edited by MysteryDude.1572

1 hour ago, kiwituatara.6053 said:

It’s fine. Don’t knock it till you try it. It just means sword won’t be used like it was before. It’ll be interesting to see new playstyles and synergies.

I’m hoping it’ll be a more offensive weapon. We’ll see how easy it is to land the immob and burst dmg.

To see a preview, use MH dagger on soulbeast.  You can engage, but cannot disengage, have no evades, and have no block like GS. 

So...you die.

From what I understand they're also shortening the leap on #2 (in the name of the deeps), meaning you REALLY have no way of disengaging.  Even if you hit into smoke field you're gonna go like 3ft and get AoE CC'd to death.  

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

The evade on #2 was unintuitive as the cast time often forced you to predict when using it instead of reacting. 

The weapon also had zero counter pressure in its current form.

Now there is some damage, two leaps, one with the evade, still great synergy with off-hand dagger and corresponding trait that isn't complete crap.

And comparing it to dagger? What a joke. Dagger had a tiny little leap with zero defenses on it and zero CC (apart from some slow). The survivability on sword is still miles better.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

The evade on #2 was unintuitive as the cast time often forced you to predict when using it instead of reacting. 

The weapon also had zero counter pressure in its current form.

Now there is some damage, two leaps, one with the evade, still great synergy with off-hand dagger and corresponding trait that isn't complete crap.

And comparing it to dagger? What a joke. Dagger had a tiny little leap with zero defenses on it and zero CC (apart from some slow). The survivability on sword is still miles better.

Both evades would keep you on the target while avoiding dmg, what is unintuitive about that? Now you will just jump straight into aoe spam without any chance to avoid damage! Right now you can choose to keep pressure and still save the leap to disengage, but now you will be forced to use both leaps to stay on target and you have zero kittening disengage! You won't have the ability to use the about face to misdirect the enemy who then aoe fire in another direction and you could run in the opposite direction......now you leap directly into their face...and you mention dagger off hand...it's a terrible weapon and this butchering of sword won't make people pick it

The weapon is objectively 1000% worst for no kittening reason other than "thinking" less to use a leap skill...great news for pvers I guess, and all of this for some paltry 3k dmg with 25 might if lucky.....kittening brilliant balance change.

P.S I wish would stop being so fixated on their DPS rotation. The main point of using sword over usual GS, it's to replace the block with 2x evades for sustain....we had 2x evades on the sword since ever...and this guy now removes one of those evades for some 2k dmg to make happy golem benchmark artists ...

Edited by Arheundel.6451
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

You literally just get reliable evade skill from serpent strike which even is another utility and get another leap with some dmg which was needed since hornet stig was another unrealiable skill on sword. All your complain is fixed with about face with new serpent strike and engage with new monarch leap and all problems solved. You get better weapon with more dmg and 1 reliable dodge which is leap now instead 2 bad dodges which was never reliable in top tier pvp in first place. People complain no matter what. Also what is fun in doing stupid sword rotation just to evade and do no dmg in beetween, now you can actually evade and do something since you still will play with s/d in pvp so 2 reliable dodges on 1 set which will have decent dmg to it now. Real problem is they made sword better weapon than dagger mh for both condi and power builds and dagger is left no real use in pvp meanwhile sword gets second overhaul.

Edited by CroTiger.7819
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, CroTiger.7819 said:

instead 2 bad dodges which was never reliable in top tier pvp in first place.

Agreed. The long windup on sword 3... even if using an about face keybind, the sword 3> about face > sword 2 movement combo covered less distance than just pressing W for the same amount of time. So to get out of spawn I'd just W + sword 2 + whatever merged leap I had.

That long windup also made sword 3 a pretty weak reactive move for me - it'd only really work if I knew something was coming, and it was the distance created that made the incoming move fail. To do that I'd have to hit it early and sacrifice the sword 2 reset more often than not.

I still don't see MH sword ever replacing GS in power builds though, not at this rate.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

Well, as someone who generally sucks at the game and doesn't really know that much about performance I'm sad they're taking away my "whee! lemme hop around like a crazy gummi-bear!" playstyle.

Honestly this change is for the better overall. You still have plenty of movement as sword 2 and 3 both still are mobility skills, but the weapon works better mechanically everywhere and can potentially do more damage everywhere as well, depending on the numbers.

You'll still have a hyper mobile playstyle, you just won't be trying to spin around a target (and often not achieving much while you do it).

Edited by RainbowTurtle.3542
Typo more like typoo
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Honestly this change is for the better overall. You still have plenty of movement as sword 2 and 3 both still are mobility skills, but the weapon works better mechanically everywhere and can potentially do more damage everywhere as well, depending on the numbers.

You'll still have a hyper mobile playstyle, you just won't be trying to spin around a target (and often not achieving much while you do it).

But the "spin around" is exactly what I like so much. Is it practical? No idea. But it feels fun. And I don't really care about better damage, I'm exactly the kind of weirdo who chooses weapons and skills mainly for their animations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 6/12/2023 at 8:49 AM, anninke.7469 said:

But the "spin around" is exactly what I like so much. Is it practical? No idea. But it feels fun. And I don't really care about better damage, I'm exactly the kind of weirdo who chooses weapons and skills mainly for their animations.

Idk I personally would rather have a weapon I can use without being carried

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

I spotted the PvE only player

Even in PvP, sword was kinda mid. It just doesn't do enough outside of the mobility, and if you needed mobility greatsword is sitting right there.

This makes the sword kit still retain mobility while also actually being effective.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Even in PvP, sword was kinda mid. It just doesn't do enough outside of the mobility, and if you needed mobility greatsword is sitting right there.

This makes the sword kit still retain mobility while also actually being effective.

It's not just the mobility, it's the evade frames, the leap finisher(for smoke and water field), and you can pair it with dagger or torch. You're a PvE player dude. New MH sword has 1 evade frame instead if 3 and a little less poison application. It's a nerf to condi ranger. It should have been buffed for condi builds, not power. Power already has greatsword like you mentioned. 

Condi ranger needs a way to combo with smokescale and healing trap in pvp. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

"we’re looking at further defining ranger sword as a mobile, power damage weapon." I can't see anything 'defence' reference here. so they ruined it because they want to be this type of weapon.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:43 PM, CroTiger.7819 said:

Real problem is they made sword better weapon than dagger mh for both condi and power builds and dagger is left no real use in pvp meanwhile sword gets second overhaul.

I don't think it is good for condi, I mean 6 sec poison every 16 sec is enough vs bleed and poison on #1, #2, and slow and poison on #3? 

7 minutes ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

It should have been buffed for condi builds, not power. Power already has greatsword like you mentioned. 

So what is the main hand power weapon? Axe with the bleedings, dagger with condition on every skills (and soulbeast only)?
If you want evade, off-hand dagger has one and it is condi based weapon, while off-hand axe and warhorn has no evade. so now a main-hand off-hand combo has 2 evade, 1 with power and 1 with condition base weapon. 
with 2-handed weapons, power has block with GS and condi has evade with short bow. 
Core ranger has 2 main hand weapon only. I don't like the idea of not having power or condition options. (now we have a power and a hybrid, so I don't like it either).
Axe should be a full condition weapon. This hybrid version was never a good thing. First it has condition with weak power auto-attack, now with strong power attacks. I personally don't like axes  (not the skills, just the weapon), I'm a blade type person, but now every build in PvE (expect the dead untamed and some home-brew builds) use axe. If we need a hybrid main hand weapon, it should be the dagger. 

(Also I'm a PvE player, so read this as 1 possible explanation, please. 😉

On 6/12/2023 at 8:49 AM, anninke.7469 said:

You would really miss OG sword--quickeness + the sticking potential it had was unmatched.  And as a bonus you could fairly regularly yeet yourself off a cliff.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

You would really miss OG sword--quickeness + the sticking potential it had was unmatched.  And as a bonus you could fairly regularly yeet yourself off a cliff.  

I like the "now" sword a bit better than the OG, guess it clicks with my brain/hands more comfortably. As for self-yeeting... let's just say thank the Pale Mother we've got gliders (and poor toons on my alt free account) 😅

On 6/14/2023 at 1:52 AM, enkeny.6937 said:

"we’re looking at further defining ranger sword as a mobile, power damage weapon." I can't see anything 'defence' reference here. so they ruined it because they want to be this type of weapon.

I don't think it is good for condi, I mean 6 sec poison every 16 sec is enough vs bleed and poison on #1, #2, and slow and poison on #3? 

So what is the main hand power weapon? Axe with the bleedings, dagger with condition on every skills (and soulbeast only)?
If you want evade, off-hand dagger has one and it is condi based weapon, while off-hand axe and warhorn has no evade. so now a main-hand off-hand combo has 2 evade, 1 with power and 1 with condition base weapon. 
with 2-handed weapons, power has block with GS and condi has evade with short bow. 
Core ranger has 2 main hand weapon only. I don't like the idea of not having power or condition options. (now we have a power and a hybrid, so I don't like it either).
Axe should be a full condition weapon. This hybrid version was never a good thing. First it has condition with weak power auto-attack, now with strong power attacks. I personally don't like axes  (not the skills, just the weapon), I'm a blade type person, but now every build in PvE (expect the dead untamed and some home-brew builds) use axe. If we need a hybrid main hand weapon, it should be the dagger. 

(Also I'm a PvE player, so read this as 1 possible explanation, please. 😉

I totally disagree with this. Hybrid main-hand weapons are great because they allow for a lot of build diversity. Axe works with every single one of ranger's offhand options, and there isn't a good reason why sword couldn't as well. The only real problem with axe atm is that the other weapons are slightly undertuned in comparison, so it has become centralizing, but that isn't a problem of axe but rather just that the options should be brought up to compete. I just feel that running stuff like sword/torch and sword/dagger just makes sense from a class fantasy and fun perspective, and it would be a shame if this was not possible due to some arbitrary "sword must be power only" rule. Sword does have a condi component to its identity through serpent's strike as well so it's not like it is a revolutionary idea that it is meant to be a hybrid weapon. Adding some poison or bleed on the third auto-attack, and/or buffing serpent strike's poison application in PvE only would go a long way while not really buffing power builds much.