Bring back Solar

GetFoxxed.9478

1 hour ago, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

Out of two evils - Better Mech Wars 2 than Ele Piano Wars 2

Absolutely not. All Ele needed was for Catalyst to encourage element camping builds, and Ele would have largely been in a good state.

Mech broke the game. Mech doesn't even need to play the game, really. It just skirts around everything that defines the game.

The two are not remotely comparable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

Sorry, I wasn't aware elementalists were dominating the meta?  I mean, I know weaver is top tier DPS (as it should be) but I still barely see elementalists in groups (and they made the two easiest weaver specs produce the best DPS as well!).  Compare to 30-50% of every group consisting of mechanists across every game mode during Solar's time.  Am I missing something?

• Like 8

Just now, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Sorry, I wasn't aware elementalists were dominating the meta?  I mean, I know weaver is top tier DPS (as it should be) but I still barely see elementalists in groups (and they made the two easiest weaver specs produce the best DPS as well!).  Compare to 30-50% of every group consisting of mechanists across every game mode during Solar's time.  Am I missing something?

As someone in replied mentioned, the dev tries his best to make elementalist S tier in pvp

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

As someone in replied mentioned, the dev tries his best to make elementalist S tier in pvp

Ahh PvP.  Fair enough.  I haven't been participating in the game mode in quite some time, but I hear catalyst is pretty obnoxious there.  And I'm sure tempest support is as well.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Isn’t Roy and CMC the current balance devs?

I think people forget this, but both of them are seasoned pvp players. People often claim the excuse that cmc doesn’t know anything but he was an ESL player and it’s same story with Roy.

don’t think you guys get the picture:

being pro player =/= good designer.

“Gamers” often confuse the two things but they aren’t correlary. The anger shouldn’t even be targeted at devs either, but their philosophies and whether they make sense.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

I think people forget this, but both of them are seasoned pvp players. People often claim the excuse that cmc doesn’t know anything but he was an ESL player and it’s same story with Roy.

“Gamers” often confuse the two things but they aren’t correlary. The anger shouldn’t even be targeted at devs either, but their philosophies and whether they make sense.

I'm not exactly angry at or hating on the devs. They seem like decent enough people.

But I do feel the need to shout at them a little because, taking these balance patches together, they have some huge blind spots that they need to come to Buddha with. The biggest one being that their most recent batch of especs are not the golden children they think they are and needed much more fleshing out and polishing. And that they can't keep pulling down the rest of the game to try to make these babies fit in--they *need* to redo the EoD specs with more distinct features/fantasies/niches.

In my experience, it doesn't matter how nice a person is, if they are also delusional they can do a lot of harm just trying to keep their bubble from popping.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/19/2023 at 10:43 AM, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

Yes, he had some silly ideas. But not of THIS caliber.

In that era balance was favored too much for specific classes (cough, cough firebrand, then mech). Also some classes were thrown under a bus (thief included).

In my opinion the overall process and vision has improved. Is it without it's hiccups? No, but at least there is a vision and more communication instead of very little communication. They have even backtracked on a few changes in the past too. Remember the range nerf for thief with the kneel changes? Those were not included in the final patch version.

The changes to necromancer though... those seem like a lot. I can't comment on that class since I haven't played it much. I play mainly thief, ranger and guardian.

Edited by ZeroTheRuler.7415
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/21/2023 at 7:10 AM, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

Delete spvp, make room for more funding and server space for wvw and pve. Problems solved. That mode is just collecting dust and a waste of resources at this point. And it tends to screw over classes (like ele) in other modes because of it.

Edited by Serephen.3420
Don't worry I'm not being serious, just being as reasonable as the op.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Related to this are the Elite Specs from EoD. You can tell the ones which were designed for pvp, and the ones that were designed for pve, and the latter are WAY more fun to play then the former.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 6/20/2023 at 4:52 PM, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

It's so sad that anyone would actually think this. God forbid you have to play a game where the most bottom-of-the-barrel, unskilled, uninteractive, poorly designed class imaginable isn't the top pick in every situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

21 hours ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

It's so sad that anyone would actually think this. God forbid you have to play a game where the most bottom-of-the-barrel, unskilled, uninteractive, poorly designed class imaginable isn't the top pick in every situation.

I didn't know Solar personally and never heard him speak on his design philosophy, but I imagine the underlying reasoning must have been somewhat similar to the mobile gaming industry.  Basically, because it sells it must be good.  So things like autoplay mode are great design because plenty of people will push a button for free stuff.

• Like 2

One might think that the issues with balance are much deeper than just some personal preferences. It's as if there were flaws in overall vision and balance philosophy (and in design process, because there's no way some of the stuff we've just got could have gotten through playertesting, which suggests the changes weren't tested)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1