Do developers read the official forums ?

2 hours ago, Anvar.5673 said:

About that, sometimes I think they should really stop listening that end-game vocal minority who stands up against every balancing update and and raise the pressure throught all the community.

It's not just an end-game vocal minority. A lot of the changes in every balance patch is about pursuing a certain numerical goal, but at a cost of decreasing fun of gameplay, which is something that is felt on much more wider basis.

Long term content with great potential (like PvP) are neglected since years in favor of some challenge mode strike missions who are only done by 0,01 % of players.

When balance was driven by PvP (i.e. when Necromancer was pushed into uselessness in PvE due to being too good in SPvP) it was not any better. In many ways it was even worse, because instanced content balance is more relevant for a huge majority of the game than Player versus Player one.

Those same people who would like 10 more elite specializations while continuing to complain about the long delays between balancing. So much ressources for more durable contents were lost.

Let's just say that (again) it's not necessarily the same people.

As the best example I can have, since the firsts days the developers were convinced that they conquest mode was the best thing in the world against all the Guild Wars 1 community.

Today the PvP is a field of ruins and the people responsible of this fiasco are gone since a long time.

That's nothing to do with "end-game vocal minority". As far as i know, current SPvP modes were purely dev idea and were never liked all that much by anyone. The main problem seems to be that Anet devs just never had any decent specific vision of what they want SPvP to be - only some very vague ideas. So, whenever they tried to make things better, it only made them even worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm convinced if we had a "buy gemstore items" sub forum the devs would be in there every day taking suggestions for how better to take our monies. It's the total opposite of the PvP/WvW forums. You buy gems now....buy em now.

I agree though reddit has now proven how unstable it is with the recent power trip by the mods.(one can only hope reddit steps in and cleans house when it comes to these rogue elements) It would be best to just avoid that cesspool and turn their attention to their "official" forums. Maybe stop by the WvW threads once every year...twice if they feel bold. 

• Confused 7
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, patton the great.7126 said:

I'm convinced if we had a "buy gemstore items" sub forum the devs would be in there every day taking suggestions for how better to take our monies

We've had threads like that too. Treatment is no different from any other thread.

You know Devs probably don't read the forum and why should they? To listen to a bunch of whiners and people who will never be happy? 

In case you wondering, the Devs don't decide what to work on a lot of the time. The product manager and product owners communicate with stakeholders to decide on what the next priority is and then usually refine this with the dev teams.

If you think people in the forum are a good source of stakeholder feedback then you're going to be disappointed a lot of the time. 

I do however think that if people who post here with gripes and concerns were a bit more objective you might see attention from the right people. Ranting and complaining will not get you anything. Offer ideas and solutions, even if they don't seem sensible, but at least you think about it rather than just coming off as a whiner. 

Edited by Tiamat.8254
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

I do however think that if people who post here with gripes and concerns were a bit more objective you might see attention from the right people. Ranting and complaining will not get you anything. Offer ideas and solutions, even if they don't seem sensible, but at least you think about it rather than just coming off as a whiner. 

Sure, you're right, but if they never read something and product managers doesn't share any information with them, how they could know they discuss on balancing, play with controversial people and are manipulated with some streamers and "high skilled players" who are just goldsellers ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Yes they read. Sometimes they reply. The replies are on Reddit though. Afaik. I think the company policy is only to have forum moderators and certain community managers (Rubi and the guy/guys for PvP and WvW) post directly in the forums.

There is definitely feedback that got taken into account. Especially some of the QoL changes ... recent ones. Either devs read stuff directly or the community manager summarizes the important stuff and relays it to them I guess.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 1

Some of them reads but not much to do.

As others already said the decisions regarding anything are made on management and share holder levels not developer.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/036570.KS/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFfdUcdrc7GIWXozPwAiOAPs-1AehJegmiyK0EOzBv9ZPOokJTX7VKaiPmPPLoB1mSjsVpIh3jD2ce1DlOUeyqcBya4NDrT0loToKouAsO1XlYfuTSt-WfLz6cTYN1e9XzaccxrE19dQs4cnKJIZ8BA3IrTFp6WayCcKtJeGLtUD

^As Anet is held by NCSOFT and the link is the only thing share holders care about and on short term only,as most managers novadays do.

Now beating dead horses goes nowhere and be honest Ncsoft games are far from the top,they have luck with GW games,I played each of their games.

About the 2 other toopics you made as I recall is pvp and bots,now pvp is a very sensitive matter do not force it,as for bots...I know players with over 30 accounts now add a couple more players so let's say 100 players all with just 10 other accounts that is 1000+ so 90% more to he numbers so it looks good on chart,bot's wont disappear anytime soon 🙂

The only thing devs can be hit with are the class balances like the current state of the warrior for example.

• Confused 1

If devs could read, they would be very upset

I mean, a small signal about the fact they are aware about critical problems of an important part of their game could be great to hear for the community. A little thing to show they are working of it ?

I know, an expansion isn't tied to WvW and PvP and maybe the new Wizard’s Vault system will dynamize the PvP a little, but we speak about the reputation of the studio here. Outside some expansions, there are new players who come for a fair PvP too.

Where is Rubi Bayer to relay those type of informations to the developers outside publishing some patch notes and official announcements ? Is there some of justice for the legit players anymore ?

Even with all the previous arguments given here, it's very difficult to be convinced that developers read the official forums.

Come to say hello. We love the game and we are in your camp.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2

On 6/22/2023 at 2:35 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

They’ve always preferred interactions on Reddit and discord. I suspect forums are considered a bit old hat, aside from the negative history the forum interactions have gained

It is, what it is.

Where can someone have interaction with the devs or see thier interaction. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Blindness.7215 said:

Where can someone have interaction with the devs or see thier interaction. 

For Reddit there is a dev tracker. Otherwise, there is a secret Discord with some streamers and guilds to discuss around balancing.

Edit: to be fair, there are former devs in the Reddit's dev tracker too and that secret Discord could be owned by Snow Crows.

Edited by Anvar.5673
typo, more infos
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/22/2023 at 12:27 PM, Anvar.5673 said:

It's my fault. I wasn't really accurate. I speak more about game devs, programmers who really make the game, not the marketing team.

How much time in a developer's day do you think is dedicated to reading the forums? I imagine when they get into the office or VPN in from home, reading the forums isn't on their to-do list...it's probably "Finish project A, start project B, fix items in project C" etc. Why would developers be pulled away from developing to interact with players directly? If they do, who is then developing the game in their place while they are busy interacting with the players?

There is a reason why companies hire people to specifically interact with a community...so the people building the product can focus on.....you know....building the product. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

There is a reason why companies hire people to specifically interact with a community...so the people building the product can focus on.....you know....building the product. 

Indeed, today in ArenaNet there are programmers and marketers but no community managers. That's sound great for all of the people here who speak in a vacuum.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Indeed, today in ArenaNet there are programmers and marketers but no community managers. That's sound great for all of the people here who speak in a vacuum.

Yeah it's a bummer but that's how Anet decided to structure their team for GW2. It is what it is, you can blame Anet for that. 

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Anvar.5673 said:

From Rubi's Linkedin:

• Senior Content Marketing Strategist

Apr 2022 - Present1 year 3 months

Bellevue, Washington, United States

• Content Marketing Strategist

Sep 2019 - Apr 20222 years 8 months

Bellevue

Primary point of contact for Guild Wars 2 owned social channels and official forums: Content marketing campaign planning and execution as well as ongoing public communication and engagement, moderation, and reporting.
    • Primary point of contact for livestreams: Content strategy and planning, guest recruiting and coaching, development of show script and run of show, and live host.
    Internal Communication: Regular coordination with other publishing teams and development leadership on community health as well as all ongoing projects and issues.

Bolded and underlined relevant bits

Edited by Essence Snow.3194
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Where is Rubi Bayer to relay those type of informations to the developers outside publishing some patch notes and official announcements ? Is there some of justice for the legit players anymore ?

Oh, come on, do you really think devs are unaware of the situation?

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Oh, come on, do you really think devs are unaware of the situation?

I'm about to think that they could not be able to see a player cheating in front of them even if they really wanted to.

Give me the banhammer for two days and I could do more in that period of time that they have done solely on toxic and afk players in ten years. It's just a matter of will.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Honestly i'd lean on .. No!

Occasionally moderators might talk to them if the uproar is the size of China..

On 6/29/2023 at 12:13 PM, Nephalem.8921 said:

I hope not. Many people here just hate changes because they hate changes in general.

I only hate changes if they are bad personally.. or grindy.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1