Secrets of the Obscure: Question about Relics and Legendary Runes

For those of us who've gone through the trouble of building legendary runes this change seems like a huge direct nerf.  Will there be a legendary relic and also would anet consider allowing players that have unlocked legendary runes to obtain a legendary relic item at release?  Or perhaps provide the legendary relic item through an achievement change similar to the Prismatic Champion's Regalia?

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Like many players, I crafted legendary runes so that I can freely change the bonus effects for all my characters depending on the builds. Without the bonus effects, just being able to change the stats is barely worth getting legendary runes for when regular runes would be cheaper.

Unless players who made legendary runes are compensated with free legendary relics, this is like Anet just deleting something players spent a lot of time, gold, and effort on.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Reading the announcement, it looks like a slot in your build like a talent, so you'll be able to freely swap them unlike regular runes. Either way, they aren't attached to gear at the moment, so the worst case scenario is you fill a few bag slots with relics until you unlock a legendary relic.

everyone’s build will include a relic slot

Edited by Lollipopsaurus.6021
  • Thanks 1

What scares and alarms me is I think it said you have to do fracs and strikes to unlock the 6th stat bonus

What if you are a mostly solo player?  Does this mean we will have no way to get the rune bonus we already have and enjoy?

I don't want to be forced to quit this game.  It is my happy place.  But I don't know how I can stay if I cannot get the relic I need which is speed increase.

Deep unhappy sigh.

Oops..wrong thread.  Please move.  I was so upset I did not read properly.

Edited by Julischka Bean.7491
I am stupid.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Would make sense to refund players if they changed the runes to be cheaper now. Though ... stuff where the cost changed happened before. And they did not give in to complaints of players that have gotten the stuff before the price/cost changed.

If it is just a feature removed and included somewhere else: New players would have to still pay the same cost. Can be annoying for people that now have to pay again to get other stuff to get the additional affect. But ... it is an mmorpg and you agree to such stuff in the terms of service and EULA and stuff like that. (Devs are free to make such changes.) I can't see them making such changes tooo often though - people would get annoyed anyways. Even if they tried to compensate. (But they can't fully give everything out directly I guess.)

We'll see how they are going to implement it. My guess is: Jeweler crafting could be boosted to allow for 500 (ascended) ... for stuff in that slot. And an own legendary. If it says "relic slot" in the build it really might be an own item (not tied to other equipment).

• Confused 1

I appreciate the goal of splitting runes and relics.  But adding a new hamster wheel for those of us who invested in legendary runes is disrespectful of our efforts.  

Also, from your news post:

Generally, you’ll be able to get relics through crafting, instanced content like Fractals of the Mists and Strike Missions, reward tracks, achievements, and more. 

All of your news today made a big emphasis on wanting players to have more fun and do what they enjoy.  This statement is the exact opposite of what you claim unless you mean that all relics will be available through all possible sources.  Otherwise what you are rally saying is that is okay for relics to require specific farms that might require doing something you actively hate.  Did you learn nothing from locking existing runes behind content?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

+1 for answers about the legendary rune set issue.

My suggestion is to make the relic slot work as a legendary relic with all existing status if the player have a non equiped legendary rune on his legendary armory. Or, somehow, allow player to trade a legendary rune into a legendary relic in a NPC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lollipopsaurus.6021 said:

Reading the announcement, it looks like a slot in your build like a talent, so you'll be able to freely swap them unlike regular runes. Either way, they aren't attached to gear at the moment, so the worst case scenario is you fill a few bag slots with relics until you unlock a legendary relic.

That's not what I took from it. They said you'll craft them and get them from reward tracks,etc. To me that sounds like it's an item. That plus they're giving everyone a free choice box to get one relic at launch. How generous. We'll see what it actually is when we get more information about it, but I'll be largely basing my decision to buy this expansion on their response. 

• Like 4

Well my 6 leg runes cost me around 2500 gold back then. Of course my main motivation was having all the  final effects at hand.

Now i would expect compensation.

How about the people who bought them by trading gems to gold ? I hope all these guys won't get told "please repeat thank you for your support"

Well honestly that would be so rude i'm pretty sure they will figure out something.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

As someone with legendary runes as well, I am very concerned on how this change. Like people spent a lot of time/money/mats investment for the legendary runes? I hope they plan to either compensate those who have them in some way, or give us an easier way to get relics if they plan to nerf the 6th trait of runes. Like how when they implemented the armory they gave people boxes who already had multiple weapon/armor sets.

Edited by Sylvar.9634
Typo
  • Like 3

So Anet I have a solution.

For anyone that has 6 or more Legendary Runes and for anyone on making their 6th Legendary Rune, the game automatically rewards you 1 free Legendary Relic.

The material/gold/time cost, etc on making Legendary Runes stays exactly the same, no change at all.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Anet you better compensate this with a free legendary relic for people having full set of legendary runes.There will be close to no reason to own a rune if you carry out this change. We're all going to take power or condi on as much as we can and fill in with whatever you force us to.  We will still max damage as much as possible or support if you're playing that role. The thing is the 6th bonus is all that really matters. If you remove that we could of just stuck exotic stat jewels into armor and called it good. 

Make things right or you lose some happy customers. It's that simple.  

• Like 5

I second the comments about having a Legendary Relic for those players with 6-7 Legendary Runes.

It is all about fairness: ANet is literally stealing the second perk to our runes, making the Legendary runes way nerfed since the main use for runes is exactly the 6th rune's second perk, which now will be moved to the relic slot.

• Like 7

Legendary Relic AT LAUNCH for every one who has unlocked the max amount of legendary runes! Anything else is a huge nerf to some of the most dedicated player's account.
What were they thinking? I mean, yeah, they were thinking that additional grind is content and that players will go cash for gems for gold for mats, so greed, yes. But what kind of respect for your most dedicated players is this kitten?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Omega.6801 said:

Legendary Relic AT LAUNCH for every one who has unlocked the max amount of legendary runes! Anything else is a huge nerf to some of the most dedicated player's account.
What were they thinking? I mean, yeah, they were thinking that additional grind is content and that players will go cash for gems for gold for mats, so greed, yes. But what kind of respect for your most dedicated players is this kitten?

I would say to anyone who has at least 6 legendary runes in their armory.  I don't see the 7th as necessary to justify a legendary relic for free.

• Like 5

I'm concerned they actually have ZERO solutions for this issue and NO idea how to resolve it besides...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this is something that would OBVIOUSLY upset people and your first priority would be damage control on it, but, they haven't done ANY, which should have been the first thing they did with the announcement, HUGE red flag.

Edited by Adamus.1287
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Adamus.1287 said:

I'm concerned they actually have ZERO solutions for this issue and NO idea how to resolve it besides...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this is something that would OBVIOUSLY upset people and your first priority would be damage control on it, but, they haven't done ANY, which should have been the first thing they did with the announcement, HUGE red flag.

Well PvP and WvW are effectively broken so they definitely have bigger concerns atm.

18 minutes ago, Essence Snow.3194 said:

Well PvP and WvW are effectively broken so they definitely have bigger concerns atm.

This literally makes no sense. The HUGE amount of problems with this patch CAME with this patch and would have in no way impeded anet from having a plan for legendary runes prior and having a statement READY for the patch notes, which was my point, that they should have had SOMETHING to say on patch release.

41 minutes ago, Adamus.1287 said:

This literally makes no sense. The HUGE amount of problems with this patch CAME with this patch and would have in no way impeded anet from having a plan for legendary runes prior and having a statement READY for the patch notes, which was my point, that they should have had SOMETHING to say on patch release.

So you are saying it makes no sense that they didn't have contingency plan for relic/rune blow-back on the announcement of the expac? Or that they need to have a plan for communication on patch day?  Even though we got them at the same time, they are kinda two separate things. Fixing patch issues should take priority over ppl being displeased over an announcement.

I cannot follow your thought process. Can you clarify?