Will Relics invalidate legendary runes? [Merged]

On 6/27/2023 at 1:40 PM, Barraind.7324 said:

They really are.   The main benefit of them right now is swapping between that 6 piece bonus (some builds do have a minor choice in base stats), so i can do something like, play perplexity on a couple fights and elementalist on others.  Or swap between monk and 'something that isnt monk because nobody but the tank really takes damage and i might as well have Rebirth or Sanctuary'.  Or when doing story stuff or memory / fragment of aurene farming, swapping between a raid rune and one that is significantly better for mashing through gobs of stuff solo. 

Making the important part of those its own slot means I'm not going to really be touching them.  Every build just gets the best combination of  Power stats, ConD/Exp, Heal/BD,  or, in that rare case of red class traits not working right, Cele/BD and that wont really change. 

Yep.  The ONLY reason to make legendary runes was the 6th slot bonus, since soo many runes have almost the exact same primary stats.  This is absolutely taking time/money from players just so they can claim they are adding a "new" feature.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

@Nightara.1804 and @QueenKeriti.5176 I see where you're coming from.  And if they do nothing for those of us with 7 leggie runes I'll be moderately upset as well.  I am excited at the prospect of greater flexibility coming down the road, but I agree that we should get something.

And no, before anyone says it: the Relic selection box at launch doesn't count, everyone's getting that.

The only thing Anet can do for those with 6-7 legendary runes is give us identical functionality for compensation.  Guessing that would be in the form of a legendary relic.  Nothing else is "compensation", it's just a middle finger.

• Like 17

13 hours ago, Scorcher.6428 said:

Aren't you forgetting that now you don't need 6 of the same rune? You can have any combination of runes now. And on top of that choose any of the 6th rune 'wild card' effects via the relic.

How is no one realising this?

The stats are NOT the reason people made legendary runes.  The ability to change the 6th slot bonus ANY time they wanted is the reason people made legendary runes.  Relics remove the functionality the runes were made for.  It goes against the principle the game is designed around.

Edited by Ubi.4136
  • Like 9

It beggars belief that they have, for however long, been developing a key feature for a new expac without considering the impact of the changes on their existing game features. And more importantly, on a large number of their players.

It's astonishingly negligent.

Now it sounds like they are scrabbling to come up with some kitten compensation solution.

If they don't arrive with the equivalent of a Legendary Relic, day-1 solution, for existing owners of 6+ Legendary Runes, it will be a shameful day for this game.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey all, I want to give you a quick response on this since it's of interest to so many of you! We're working on some more in-depth information to share with you, but in the meantime I can let you know that we are aware of your concerns that the Relics mechanic devalues Legendary Runes. We want to make sure we address those concerns, and we're finalizing a plan to compensate those of you who spent time and energy acquiring those Legendary Runes.

We'll be back with more details soon--thank you all for your feedback on Secrets of the Obscure and your excitement for Tuesday's announcement!

My personal stance is:

If relics are a physical slot, and need me to have items on every character to swap (and probably a new rarity of gemstore tool), then I'm right there onboard the "yeah, you need to do something about this and its called a day-1 legendary relic" train.

What I would also very much be okay with, since if this was true, I'd still have made legendary runes and still would in the future make them if i didnt have them, is if the new relic slot was like the PvP rune system and DOESNT need you to cart around multiple wassats to pop in and out (and burn a tool to do it), but instead let you pick anything you have unlocked.

In that case, and everything already existing, and everything new thats currency-only counts as unlocked,  I dont have an issue with it.

I have no issue having to unlock new achievement-based relics by completing the relevant achievement before equipping them on every character, because I'm well aware that the alternative was "runes stay the same, and heres a slot for these new effects we're letting you get as achievement rewards, but theyre not as good".

My sole issue is that I paid for being able to swap, at-will, with no conditions and no need for a physical copy of everything on every character, the stat AND major bonuses of every rune in the game at any time I am not in combat (or outside of a base in sPvP, but that doesnt even use the same rune system).  And if you're making the major bonuses a new slot, well, I kind of already paid for the functionality of that slot. 

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Like 1

Honestly, we can't let that go this way, or they'll feel like they can do anything and we're still be their cash cows.

Personally, if they don't come with a legendary relic that is tradeable for legendary runes owners, no more gems for them.
No need to invest in a game that take everything back without fearing the consequences.
Tons of people who invested a lot of money and time in this game will probably do the same, a lot might also just quit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ubi.4136 said:

The only thing Anet can do for those with 6-7 legendary runes is give us identical functionality for compensation.  Guessing that would be in the form of a legendary relic.  Nothing else is "compensation", it's just a middle finger.

I have just completed my second rune, so I hope anyone who just started the process of crafting them and doesn't have a full set yet can be compensated as well. I play alot of WvW though, so I am pretty used to receiving the middle finger from anet along with any other fingers of their choosing.. >.>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Nono.7963 said:

we need a legendary relic for free (or tradeable for a legendary rune), everything else is just total disrespect for long term players who invested a lot of money and time in the game, anet won't fool us.

I don't think the second part of that is an option since runes are stored in the legendary armory. I mostly agree with the sentiment though and am awaiting a clarification response to come.

I spent a lot of time to make my 7 legendary runes so I can change the stats without having to carry a bunch of other runes, I certainly don't want to have to carry multiple "Relics" to change the stats when I want to, defeats the purpose for having legendary  in the first place.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:24 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey all, I want to give you a quick response on this since it's of interest to so many of you! We're working on some more in-depth information to share with you, but in the meantime I can let you know that we are aware of your concerns that the Relics mechanic devalues Legendary Runes. We want to make sure we address those concerns, and we're finalizing a plan to compensate those of you who spent time and energy acquiring those Legendary Runes.

We'll be back with more details soon--thank you all for your feedback on Secrets of the Obscure and your excitement for Tuesday's announcement!

I'm likely not the first to suggest this, but given the established QoL from Legendary Runes and the legendary armory as a whole, the optimal solution that would require the least damage control would be to launch legendary relics at the very start of the expansion as a crafting recipe similar to runes and sigils that you can acquire the parts for by salvaging relics, and to simply give players who have 6 or more runes a free legendary relic.

A lot of people made legendary runes to be able to change set bonuses on the fly to fit the needs of their builds, and given relics are taking that very aspect of runes away, we'll lose the very thing we made runes for. If I had to guess, you'll be adding them in all the sources for the runes, so nightmare and monk relics would come from their respective dungeons, leadership from Dragon's Stand, etc., and I, for one, made legendary runes because I didn't have full legendary armor at that point and didn't want to do dungeons anymore (at the time, before the dungeon currency got unified) for every heal and condi spec.

I want to make clear here, I am all for all the QoL improvements and massive changes coming in SotO, and I'm especially excited for the relic system. I think this is going to create some of the most insane build variety this game has seen, and it's so far out there for you to do this that I really can't stress enough that I love the change. However, the only precedent you've set for situations like this, where you change or remove the need or the reason we had a legendary item for, is when players got legendary selection boxes if they had a ridiculous amount of duplicates when legendary armory came out. Runes aren't as expensive as a full-on legendary in any way except for clovers.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm reserving getting upset until we hear how it will actually work but I really don't think you can understate what a bad deal legendary runes are if all they do is replace a few very low cost stats-giving "new runes".  I would rather have one legendary relic than have seven legendary runes if legendary runes are only allowing you to select stats.  Just add a legendary relic to our legendary armory when the system goes live, easy peasy

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Adzekul.3104 said:

This is the reward for investing in legendaries. New content is nice and desirable and some of us can't get enough. But ignoring my time and effort and resources, or worse yet, disrespecting it by thinking it can be refunded, is borderline offensive.

No, my legendary runes are the reward for investing in legendary runes...
I still have my runes after SoO and I had them all the time before. Nothing of that being "ignored", that's nonesense.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I think the best solution after thinking about it to both give us what we have now and also give us a reason to chase the new carrot is to give us the achievement with tier rewards for each legendary rune you craft for whatever with the 6th giving you all the relics for what we can select now with 6th slot. Have relics be add to account to be swapped within so you change between them much like a legendary item works, but for each option. Then the new effects will be the ones we chase for in the xpac.

Basically the relic slot would be like selecting a novelty but of choices for effects of relics you added to your account. You'd get all of them for having six runes and for seven have some other final tier reward. Then you still need to hunt for brand new relic effects, but of all the "relic effects" aka sixth rune choices we have now would be selectable from in day one.

Hopefully this makes sense...

• Like 1

An simple option/solution- Keep Legendary runes as they are. Add a Legendary Relics slot and allow those that wish to, craft a Legendary Relic that would add an additional 6th slot Bonus.

Much cleaner and doesn't take away from what we worked so hard to grind and make. There is no compensation Anet can give that can compensate us for the Mystic clovers, gold, materials and time we took to grind the legendary Runes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, JesterXIII.9380 said:

I built all 7 runes, and while in some regards runes are being "nerfed" (really their functionality is being split for more combinations), the benefit of legendary runes aren't really lost - stat swappable gear you can use across all characters/templates.  Their value in materials doesn't really drop either.

It's likely we'll have a new legendary slot to build, though.  Somewhen.

I hope sooner than later. I was really looking forward to being able to pull builds out of thin air. I do think it's a little dirty for them to explicitly take functionality away from a legendary in existence and then potentially add it back in with another. It defeats the purpose of legendaries. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

No something like free legendary relic or something which increase my DPS by 5%. This whole discussion about compensation is one of reason that when devs of any MMO want to improve or fix anything they can't. I understand that GW2 is and wants to be different from other MMOs and legendary items with "new" legendary armory is great. No more grind for new items every expansion as in other MMOs, but this discussion about compensation is really silly.

Yes the legendary armory is great until next expansion after this one when Anet decide that your armor wont have armor values anymore or your weapons wont  have weapon damage numbers anymore.

Instead they will add armor value thingamabob or weapon damage thingamabob that you have to unlock again.

Do you now understand how unresonable this rune rework is?

And to the others they did specify that you would have to have 6 of the same runes to get  the new 6 tier bonus stats that are the same kind of the first 5.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

22 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Do you now understand how unresonable this rune rework is?

So... if you have 6 legendary runes, you could now swap between rune sets and if you choose 6 of the same rune, you also get the set bonus.

After relics are introduced, you will still be able to freely choose a rune for each of your legendary runes (as before) and you get all the stat bonuses (as before) AND they(Anet) have said they are looking into how they will ensure that the set bonus on the new relic will be preserved for owners of legendary runes.

Maybe they can introduce a special (not legendary) "Relic of Former Glory" that functions the way that if you choose your 6 legendary runes to all be Scholar, it copies the set bonus from Scholar set, and if you swap to 6x Monk stats, it will copy the old set bonus from Monk's, i.e. everything will work as before.

THEN - owners of Legendary Runes have everything they already had, and on top of that they can later add a Legendary Relic which in addition will allow you to freely choose your set bonus.

I mean - you don't have that option today, so why should you get it for free with the new Relic upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

I think the best solution after thinking about it to both give us what we have now and also give us a reason to chase the new carrot is to give us the achievement with tier rewards for each legendary rune you craft for whatever with the 6th giving you all the relics for what we can select now with 6th slot. Have relics be add to account to be swapped within so you change between them much like a legendary item works, but for each option. Then the new effects will be the ones we chase for in the xpac.

Basically the relic slot would be like selecting a novelty but of choices for effects of relics you added to your account. You'd get all of them for having six runes and for seven have some other final tier reward. Then you still need to hunt for brand new relic effects, but of all the "relic effects" aka sixth rune choices we have now would be selectable from in day one.

Hopefully this makes sense...

41 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

So... if you have 6 legendary runes, you could now swap between rune sets and if you choose 6 of the same rune, you also get the set bonus.

After relics are introduced, you will still be able to freely choose a rune for each of your legendary runes (as before) and you get all the stat bonuses (as before) AND they(Anet) have said they are looking into how they will ensure that the set bonus on the new relic will be preserved for owners of legendary runes.

Maybe they can introduce a special (not legendary) "Relic of Former Glory" that functions the way that if you choose your 6 legendary runes to all be Scholar, it copies the set bonus from Scholar set, and if you swap to 6x Monk stats, it will copy the old set bonus from Monk's, i.e. everything will work as before.

THEN - owners of Legendary Runes have everything they already had, and on top of that they can later add a Legendary Relic which in addition will allow you to freely choose your set bonus.

I mean - you don't have that option today, so why should you get it for free with the new Relic upgrade.

Something between what we said here Anet - that's the best solution I think. Also if they add in new stats in some way to SOTO we would be getting extra benefits from what we have now so idk. We got new runes in xpacs before automatically right so I guess that's fair but still I think the new relics should be something we go for and if we have a "heroic" relic that mimics our relic into the old set bonus stuff when we can also have a reason to go find say monk's relic if we wanted to use different stats with monk's set bonus on the relic and a reason to make a legendary relic as well.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 7:24 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Its doesnt matter leggie runes or normal runes.all the runes are losing their extra effect mean we have to GRIND and get back those effect we used to have.This the problem

if the relic is totally new item,add extra effect or something else im ok with it and happy to grind.

but for what i read,you guys just delete the rune effect and move it to relic then want me to GRIND and get back those effect i used to have.

if one of my char have 8 different build with 8 different runes.i have to GRIND 8 different relic to get back those effect?what if i have 9 char with 8 different build and runes?i have to GRIND 72 relics to get back my effect?WHAT A JOKE 

Im a wvw focus player.95% of my game time is in wvw.NOT FORCING player to GRIND or do anything is the only reason i stay in gw2 cause i can spend all my time in wvw.but now you guys seems gonna break this

Edited by Hins.2489
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2