We are getting a new weapon... it's a bow

Calen.8945

Despite everything I'm about to say, I'm happy we are getting a new weapon. That said, why a short bow? Out of all the weapons you pick a bow, really Anet. We already have two range weapons, for both power and condi so I don't know what this one could add.

I may be mostly disappointed because I wanted a staff or scepter... maybe one day. Guess I'll just be happy I can finally use a mace on my scrapper. It's the small things that get me by.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

It will be a new CORE weapon so it should be themed around core engi fantasy. Staff or scepter do noy fit into this category, because core engi has nothing to do with lasers and/or tesla themes.
Shortbow will fit perfectly  because it can be designed around "special arrows" like bomb arrows, chemical arrows, gadget arrows ect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

Just now, Bomboed.5697 said:

nothing to do with lasers and/or tesla themes.
Shortbow will fit perfectly  because it can be designed around "special arrows" like bomb arrows, chemical arrows, gadget arrows ect.

Hey, tesla theme totally fits. But I guess looking at Shortbows that way, it does fit the theme more than I initially thought.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

It will be a new CORE weapon so it should be themed around core engi fantasy. Staff or scepter do noy fit into this category, because core engi has nothing to do with lasers and/or tesla themes.

So it will just be Thief Shortbow all over again. Great.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

For core you still have melee kits in bomb and toolkit.

Given that all espec weapons are melee and they will become available for use if you buy the expansion (which obviously becomes an absolute must if you want to play endgame PvE), so getting a ranged one is alright.

2 hours ago, Darkhart.4769 said:

Yup was surprised with the short bow, would have prefer a main-hand shield XD just for the lols. And also yay for sword on all specialization and core engie 🥳

Yeah except.. sword is only effective with a heat level so......  Engi gets screwed on this as well (the class that most needs it)

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Calen.8945 said:

That said, why a short bow?

Not a mystery at all. 

They're giving us a shortbow which will have the same "small 900 range weapon" AA cd as every other shortbow in the game just so they can avoid fixing the pistol AA which is supposed to have the same cd. 

It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

What, did you think Anet was just giving us something out of the kindness of their hearts?

It's just another way to spite the engineer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

However it is so close to the original engineer theme.
Tbh, I am so tired from lasers and high-tech.

I was thinking it would be an axe (offhand AoE power with a pull , or mainhand with pull and cleave) or torch (offhand PAoE condi DPS) , neither of which are high tech.

Unless the bow does something with conditions, I do not see the theme being anything more than what grenades , mortar, pistols, or rifle provide.

EDIT Plus a bow means it most likely will be pretty terrible in WvW due to reflects unless the skills are AoEs instead of piercing attacks.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

They're giving us a shortbow which will have the same "small 900 range weapon" AA cd as every other shortbow in the game just so they can avoid fixing the pistol AA which is supposed to have the same cd. 

My god, that is such an Anet thing to do. And I can completely believe it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Unless the bow does something with conditions, I do not see the theme being anything more than what grenades , mortar, pistols, or rifle provide.

Maybe it will be more like alchemy based, a more offensive version of elixir gun.

• Like 2

Not hype for a shortbow, I would rather have a staff to complete my golemancer dream. That said, I hope the short bow feel a bit like the renagade one but instead of portal, you shoot drone that fire laser or something like this, hope its more power, we dont have a great power range weapon, lets face it rifle is mid range and in my opinion, I cant stand this god awefull skill 1 animation.  (2x burst is lame and weird, bring back the 3x burst animation).

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Calen.8945 said:

I may be mostly disappointed because I wanted a staff or scepter... maybe one day

I KNOW! I wanted a tesla staff! Thematically bow makes 0 sense. Tesla staff would be AMAZING for an engineer and fit the theme perfectly with lightning abilities. Heat on sword, lightning on scepter or staff, bullets on everything else.

Bow?! Mechanical... bow. Steam powered compound bow? Laser bow... Nah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1