So Relics will be vertical progression, power creep and pay to win? [Merged]

8 hours ago, Doomcryer.3650 said:

Typical Dunning–Kruger effect.

Not being aware of one use of a mount qualifies (sure) particularly since I never claimed to know anything about a mount that I dont own and specifically stated that I la ked knowledge or expertise of the subject....the exact opposite of DKE. You might want to check your understanding of the DKE and see if misusing it qualifies you for being subject to it.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

In EoD a new gear option was added that increased character power level (however slightly). It also added earnable non-gear power increase in the form of Jade Tech Protocols. The next expansion adds a new form of gear that adds power above what one can have without it. Someone in this thread argues that PoF's mounts represent an increase in character power level. So, we have at least three expansions in a row adding increased character power level via gear or otherwise.  How many expansions in a row does this have to happen before it qualifies for the definition some are using for vertical progression being about repeated increases over the course of multiple releases?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

In EoD a new gear option was added that increased character power level (however slightly). It also added earnable non-gear power increase in the form of Jade Tech Protocols. The next expansion adds a new form of gear that adds power above what one can have without it. Someone in this thread argues that PoF's mounts represent an increase in character power level. So, we have at least three expansions in a row adding increased character power level via gear or otherwise.  How many expansions in a row does this have to happen before it qualifies for the definition some are using for vertical progression being about repeated increases over the course of multiple releases?

Wow another one who doesn’t know what games with real vertical progression look like. 
In games like World of Warcraft you constantly have to grind new gear because every new expansion and every new raid tier your current gear will be replaced with better gear. 
In Guild Wars 2 this is clearly not the case. To label this vertical progression is just nonsense. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 7

It depends on the point of view. It increases the power level thus can be considered vertical progression, on the other hand it does not render runes obsolete so it's not really vertical progression.
Well, who the kitten cares, for people that are here long enough they already broke the no vertical progression promise once. At release "Exotic is easy to attain BiS". Some months later they released ascended gear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

20 hours ago, BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Relics aren’t runes… so people wanting the relics for free is them wanting it for free and it’s the same people that wanted other items without putting in the effort/methods to acquire them. No one paid for the relics 

I have ~52 gear templates across my 18 characters; all of them with exotic runes. A lot of them use Fireworks Runes due the qol features. I don't want to grind again to recover qol features that I already earned and own, just because ANet wat to sell skins in the gem store for a new trinket slot.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

36 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

There will be skins for relics? 

We don't known, but all the other trinket slots (plus the gathering tools) allow to showcase skins and as I said in the opening post, I fully expect Relics to be monetized in a way or another.

Anyway, I'm no longer bothered about it since I don't plan to buy the expansion.  And since I won't re-grind the relics, the change will kill WvW for me. Which is fine, I have better alternatives for the rest of the year in games.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

We don't known, but all the other trinket slots (plus the gathering tools) allow to showcase skins and as I said in the opening post, I fully expect Relics to be monetized in a way or another.

Anyway, I'm no longer bothered about it since I don't plan to buy the expansion.  And since I won't re-grind the relics, the change will kill WvW for me. Which is fine, I have better alternatives for the rest of the year in games.

We don't know how, but I agree that relics seem likely to be part of the monetization of the expac. If nothing else they provide something beyond cosmetics to act as a carrot in the expac at launch.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 7/21/2023 at 3:14 AM, BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

They paid for the functionality to select any of the available Superior Runes, that functionality still exists. Otherwise they could’ve just bought any old exotic Superior Rune.

And someone comparing a statement someone else said to flat earthers is the same thing as comparing the person to it. Maybe some people should make counter arguments that can hold up instead of resulting to insults.

Wait, after all these posts (quite a few from me too) you're still trying to argue that this doesn't do anything to the legendary rune functionality?

I mean... https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/relics-bring-new-equipment-to-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/ :

To accomplish this, some of the functionality of legendary runes will move to the new relic slot.

Even anet doesn't try to hide it as much as you do for whatever reason. Just stop already. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Wait, after all these posts (quite a few from me too) you're still trying to argue that this doesn't do anything to the legendary rune functionality?

I mean... https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/relics-bring-new-equipment-to-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/ :

Even anet doesn't try to hide it as much as you do for whatever reason. Just stop already. 🤦‍♂️

The three confused reactions really make this so much funnier than they probably intended.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2023 at 12:50 AM, Vandal.5621 said:

MMO players and nor understanding terminology: name a more iconic duo.

Relics are not vertical progression nor are they pay to win.

Y'all wilding.

"No-weapon restriction" only for those who buy the expansion... this reallly is pay to win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Relics already at 30+ gold coins despite being shadows of the former 6th rune effects; dozens of builds trashed by a systen with less variety than the previous one....  Glad I voted with my wallet.

If you mean at the TP, they are a half-third of that now and dropping. It was always going to start high until people caught up with content and materials to saturate the market

On 6/28/2023 at 6:52 PM, Katary.7096 said:

On a technical level it should offer more choices in build customization.

I agree that it should. It was a good idea to try to allow more variety. If you needed the health boost or a speed boost, or wanted the chill boost, you previously had few rune choices and in theory, this should help with that.

But they don't seem to have translated all the 6th bonus effects into runes. At least not yet, there is some talk about some coming later, so weird. If they wanted to add some later they should be new effects, some utilitarian and some fun. 

And they should have given relics with the lost effect for every set of 6 runes someone had*, in addition to some new ones to try out. So people would still have their build and be able to think about making interesting/useful changes when they were ready.

Maybe they can fix this within a couple weeks.

*3 exotic relics might not be equivalent to what someone had previously! I personally have almost an entire bank tab of exotic runes, some in full sets or more and some building sets, as well as having exotic runes equipped on various builds/toons... and I feel bad for people who had legendary runes.

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Relics already at 30+ gold coins despite being shadows of the former 6th rune effects; dozens of builds trashed by a systen with less variety than the previous one....  Glad I voted with my wallet.

"already"? People try to get some early overpriced sales on items other players might be unable to properly gauge the value on. This is not some new unexpected course of action and this is not how you judge the actual value of new items.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1