Weaponmaster training is a BAD idea

It defeats the uniqueness of elite specs. Each elite spec weapon only optimally works with the same related trait. Plus it just makes the game looks messy/unorganized. Anet just focus on the 4th elite specs or make a new profession like martial artist class and instead of this madness.

Edited by kawaiiboy.2685
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 35
  • Sad 1

The bigger problem is that there are especs that have mostly useless utilities (hi chrono) and that trait setups have been shifting from modifying gameplay functionally (holosmith) to just playstyle lockins for power/condi/support (mech/harbinger/willbender/chrono).

I agree it's not that necessary for most classes but on the other hand I'm just glad to finally see a second MH weapon choice for engineer besides pistol because it always needed it and at this point I don't care anymore how it gets it.

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Im going to agree here, this is just taking the easy way out. Instead of investing in new classes races or even elites, just give everyone weapons they never had before. Its like the whole alac /quick scenario let everyone in the game do boons! Lets strip away class identity why not...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

How does it feel to be wrong, OP? 😆😁🤣

You're discounting the fact that Elite Spec trait lines often amplify their relevantly paired weapon. Elite Specs are still going to be chosen based on their own merit. If you only went for an Elite Spec for it's weapon, perhaps you should campaign for better traits with suggestions.

I for one am ecstatic about Long Bow being available Guardian (and hyped for dual pistols) and not ever having to listen to that Scepter sound again.

What *needs* to happen from here is ensuring that new weapon choices Do accommodate via traits either being able to go as Power or Condition for true versatility.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

There will always be better weapon choices even if we have access to all of them. But you are losing out the unique interactions if you don't play that specific elite spec. Although, some classes have it rough as they don't benefit the extra weapons (hi tempest with hammer). And some greatly benefit it. (hi healscrapper with mace).

But you're saying Firebrand with Longbow shouldn't be allowed? 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It feels like pointless bloat to me. And it does hurt spec identity, at a time when spec identity is being steadily erased and everything is slowly becoming essentially a few roles and 0 uniqueness. But oh well, what can you do. They have to sell the expansion somehow. For the most part its also a cheap change, there will only be a few new skills.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 5
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

People really need to take more than five seconds playing around with the weapon combinations and learn to try new builds that isn't just the meta. This is also a beta we have access to, things are not going to be perfect and feedback is requested for testing with these kinds of things to improve the system instead of your armchair developer opinion of "NEW FEATURE BAD DON'T DO IT" while failing to understand why locking existing weapons behind their respective specs is a nuisance. I've been wanting weapon diversity for some time now and the gate keeping has been annoying the crap out of me as a result so I welcome this change, especially as a warrior.

Edited by KindredPhoenyx.8976
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Im going to agree here, this is just taking the easy way out. Instead of investing in new classes races or even elites, just give everyone weapons they never had before. Its like the whole alac /quick scenario let everyone in the game do boons! Lets strip away class identity why not...

So classes are defined by their weapons and not the abilities/effects that make them unique? Ok.

I don't remember seeing a mesmer being able to raise the dead, or have nature abilities, or slinging around elemental bolts but sure this is a valid take right?

Edited by KindredPhoenyx.8976
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Weapon share is fine I guess. What annoys me is that with expansion focused on equipment rather than classes we're not getting A SINGLE new weapon class. 11 years of waiting for 2 handed axe. And we don't have the best martial melee weapon in history of mankind - spear. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If they properly balance it (heh) and the new weapons add functioning new builds to all elite specs, sure then it's great. But if they just unlock the weapons for the heck of it, with some elite specs getting awesome new options while others are left in the dust with new weapons that don't function with the spec .. then I'd rather they think twice about implementing this.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Bankrotas.8215 said:

11 years of waiting for 2 handed axe.

On the upside I get to continue feeling smug about that one guildie from launch who was absolutely convinced that Great Axe was getting added to the game imminently and wouldn't shut up about it. Every cloud, right?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Esufer.8762 said:

On the upside I get to continue feeling smug about that one guildie from launch who was absolutely convinced that Great Axe was getting added to the game imminently and wouldn't shut up about it. Every cloud, right?

My second hiatus from the game was partially due to collosal kitten up with HoT elite specs just having reuse of weapons instead of new ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

If they properly balance it (heh) and the new weapons add functioning new builds to all elite specs, sure then it's great. But if they just unlock the weapons for the heck of it, with some elite specs getting awesome new options while others are left in the dust with new weapons that don't function with the spec .. then I'd rather they think twice about implementing this.

Considering the current state is the latter, I have no expectations adding new weapons will be different.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

It feels like pointless bloat to me. And it does hurt spec identity, at a time when spec identity is being steadily erased and everything is slowly becoming essentially a few roles and 0 uniqueness. But oh well, what can you do. They have to sell the expansion somehow. For the most part its also a cheap change, there will only be a few new skills.

Spot on!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Loss of uniqueness of some weapons is bad. For example deadeye is mainly focused on guns, giving rifle to daredevil makes little sense and takes away one of the main points of deadeye. 
As a player I'd better see more new weapon choices for classes which are not tied to certain specs. It would keep the integrity of some specs but also provide more variety. 

Edited by Daniel Winner.8524
  • Confused 3

I like it. Would have preferred to have the elite stuff set up in a totally different way. Making the skills and stuff ... selectable in a separate slot.

One slot for weapon, one for utilities, one for traits, one for the whole mechanic (though they are the thing strongest tied to the traits).

To even allow the use of utilities of an e-spec with some other spec. (Or at least with core ... when we want to use another trait line and not taking the elite trait line.) The weapon changes + new weapons allow at least for some diversity with playing core when you want to use 3 of the normal (non-elite) trait lines.

For mechanist (engineer) I like the signets. They would work well without the mech + instead having core + the option for the toolbelt skills (that are not availble with the mech). More in this direction (the weapon changes now) should happen.

Ideally would be a slot where you select the weapon (out of the 3 elite specs) ... indepentently from the spec equipped. (Then not allowing for axe/shield virutoso of course. If only one could be selected.) Then a slot for selectign the elite utility skills (select one independently from the elite equipped.)

(All requiring to have bought that expansion and having unlocked the stuff in the training menu with hero points.)

Last setting ... the 3rd trait line: Make it allow for combos. Let us select one elite trait line + one of the core trait lines allowing to select which minor trait we use at each of the 3 stages. +being able to select between the normal and the chosen elite - from the main selectable traits. Core player would just have core there. (If not bought any expansion or playing core for not wanting the profession mechanics.)

E-spec player would not be "forced" to omit some traits he might like from a 3rd core line (being able to select a few from there maybe.) Without having to give a full 4th trait line slot.

This is the thing about MMOs. If you can't adjust to changes you should not play them. Every MMO I have ever played makes changes to either make things easier or more annoying. If you think this is bad then you should never play ESO. They should have never tied weapons to elite specs in the first place. If anything now they should buff up those trait lines more with this change. 

Edited by wmtyrance.3571
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, kawaiiboy.2685 said:

It defeats the uniqueness of elite specs. Each elite spec weapon only optimally works with the same related trait. Plus it just makes the game looks messy/unorganized. Anet just focus on the 4th elite specs or make a new profession like martial artist class and instead of this madness.

There's no warhorn trait for tempest, or a hammer trait for scrapper.

13 hours ago, kawaiiboy.2685 said:

You act as if most players don’t just straight up ignore the espec weapons anyways… how many times do you see a Mirage with an Axe? Never, they all use Staff exclusively… what about a reaper with greatsword? Most of them use scepter/focus and staff for better access to chill and fear… Tempest with warhorn? Most would rather use staff for greater range, better support, better AoE, and stronger ST… for a long time Scrappers only ever used Rifle… I never seen a Daredevil actually using staff, its always been Sword/Dagger + Shortbow… Firebrands seem to prefer Scepter over Axe… Mechanists prefer pistol or rifle over mace… then there are the Holosmith and Specter who are completely crippled if they don’t use their espec weapon…

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

The biggest issue I see here is P2W powercreep.

Say what you want about e-specs - each can be reigned in with it's own unique tradeoffs and weaknesses.
But getting weapons from other e-specs is extremely volatile.

Some professions will get next to nothing out of it (necro, warrior), which in itself is already a problem.
But others may have their already potent meta builds pushed even further with a new weapon that was just that last thing needed to make it perfect. Like support scrappers that had no supportive weapon to begin with, getting their hands on the mace.

And that can lead to a disaster as two players playing same profession, same build and applying for same role will get taken in or kicked out based on who has 4th xpac and with it that one weapon other guy can't get...

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, kawaiiboy.2685 said:

It removes unnecessary restrictions on weapon choices.  The uniqueness of elite specs comes from the mechanics, not from the weapons themselves.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1