Steam forum (game is dead posts)

Seems to be trolls who keeps making and bumping "dead game" threads.

Is the mod not active over there?

It's leaving a horrible impression on new players, might want to merge all those threads.

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

Trolls do that in EVERY game forum on steam.

1 week after Street Fighter 6 launched, trolls were yelling 'Game is dead because Diablo 4 has more players!'  Same with Dead Space remake, and any other game.

And if it's not them, it's the 'anti woke' people being upset over female characters or minorities being given power roles in a narrative.

In short; the Steam forums are toxic cesspools. There's even news articles about Valve refusing to ban or alter user profiles with links to terrorists and groups like the 'Three-K'.

• Like 9
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Apparently it's not just the forums, they do it with reviews too. There's a lot of obviously false Steam reviews, like people who have played a $10 game for 150 hours saying it's boring and too short for the price. I think Steam only moderates them if they're flat-out lies, like complaining about microtransactions in a game which doesn't have any.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

Trolls do that in EVERY game forum on steam.

1 week after Street Fighter 6 launched, trolls were yelling 'Game is dead because Diablo 4 has more players!'  Same with Dead Space remake, and any other game.

And if it's not them, it's the 'anti woke' people being upset over female characters or minorities being given power roles in a narrative.

In short; the Steam forums are toxic cesspools. There's even news articles about Valve refusing to ban or alter user profiles with links to terrorists and groups like the 'Three-K'.

Plenty of game forums in there that gets moderated as well

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jokke.6239 said:

Seems to be trolls who keeps making and bumping "dead game" threads.

Is the mod not active over there?

It's leaving a horrible impression on new players, might want to merge all those threads.

Or it could simply be that Steam communities are generally independent from the communities of the games they purchase. Trolls and bad-faith posters are in every single forum and not only aren't unique to Steam, but to the internet.

If anything, Steam is a good measure of how gw2 is actually received outside of its influence (aka the forums and Reddit).

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Apparently it's not just the forums, they do it with reviews too. There's a lot of obviously false Steam reviews, like people who have played a $10 game for 150 hours saying it's boring and too short for the price. I think Steam only moderates them if they're flat-out lies, like complaining about microtransactions in a game which doesn't have any.

Except that gw2 does have micro-transactions. Just because they're mainly cosmetics does not magically make them not micro-transactions. And no, those reviews are valid like everyone else's. 150 hours is a hefty amount of time and more than enough to accurate gauge a game to see if it's liked. I think the moderation is more general and not necessarily tied to any game's actual influence.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Except that gw2 does have micro-transactions. Just because they're mainly cosmetics does not magically make them not micro-transactions. And no, those reviews are valid like everyone else's. 150 hours is a hefty amount of time and more than enough to accurate gauge a game to see if it's liked. I think the moderation is more general and not necessarily tied to any game's actual influence.

I thought it was obvious from the context and the description I wasn't talking about a review of GW2. My point was it happens with all games. It's apparently a trend on Steam at the moment where people deliberately leave nonsensical "joke" negative reviews for games. Which is probably ok if it's one in a sea of hundreds of reviews, but it's hitting some indie developers whose games get picked on and end up with disproportionately bad reviews about things which aren't even in the game.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I thought it was obvious from the context and the description I wasn't talking about a review of GW2. My point was it happens with all games. It's apparently a trend on Steam at the moment where people deliberately leave nonsensical "joke" negative reviews for games. Which is probably ok if it's one in a sea of hundreds of reviews, but it's hitting some indie developers whose games get picked on and end up with disproportionately bad reviews about things which aren't even in the game.

My fault then. I assumed you referred to gw2. In that case, yes you're right. There is a lot of rage-bait on Steam. However, it is a free and independent platform. And not just in terms of game development (as you refer), but also of criticism and reviews. Also, the thing with reviews is that those are the things that people usually see first. They are front-and-center compared to the forums. Because they are front-and-center, they tend to be more of a spectacle than a specific game's community forum section.

2 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Ah yes, the  "let's spam bad feedback until they give us free stuff" Steam meta strategy.

As if the forums and Reddit don't do the same! Like it or not, it works. People need to remember that they are customers first. If a product or service, or this case, game service is not worth it, you are entitled to spread the word to others who may be on the fence. I'm sorry...since when do people need to relinquish their brain and let the Public Relations folks dictate what they're allowed to think or feel? This is an era of predatory consumerism. Even more in this era of late-stage capitalism.

• Confused 2

Posting criticism of the game is perfectly legitimate even if it is very negative. If said criticism is based on an honestly held belief, assuming at least some facts to support the belief, then go for it. I would find any review that the game is dead to be suspicious but one that stated that ANet has announced that they will be taking away game elements that people have paid for with the intention of reselling to those same customers would be reasonable.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

If you are spending time grinding for something then it is not free. If ANet is willing to pay my billable hours rate for the time it takes to reacquire what I already had worked for then sure.

What would you prefer  , just for fun 😛 .

Would you like:

a) to be given a free legendary Rune (6th bonus) for your trouble

b) Runes from the next expansion are not droped from future Strikes  and cannot be sold in the TP , just like Green Shard-Gen 3 weapons from Eod , so you cannot make extra money ?

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

What would you prefer  , just for fun 😛 .

Would you like:

a) to be given a free legendary Rune (6th bonus) for your trouble

b) Runes from the next expansion are not droped from future Strikes ( like Green Shard-Gen 3 weapons from Eod) , so you cannot make extra money ?

I may not be understanding your options. Do you mean relics in option a? And the green shard weapons in EoD strikes cannot be sold? Ive never made money in strikes (compared to what I could have made if I spent the same time playing open world.

6 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I may not be understanding your options. Do you mean relics in option a? And the green shard weapons in EoD strikes cannot be sold? Ive never made money in strikes (compared to what I could have made if I spent the same time playing open world.

Like this item , someone doing strikes can get it and sold in the Tp.

Would you prefer to collect "gold shards" from the next expanison and get the tradable version of the Runes and sell it , or you prefer a personal Legendary  Rune for your trouble ?

Edit: The solo craftcing version , just like the Reserach Notes will be aimed to drain the market , and the Achiv one will guide people throught the OW , just like the original Traits . The WvW/PvP-Fractal option is a failsafe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Would you prefer to collect "gold shards" from the next expanison and get the tradable version of the Runes and sell it , or you prefer a personal Legendary  Rune for your trouble ?

Edit: The solo craftcing version , just like the Reserach Notes will be aimed to drain the market , and the Achiv one will guide people throught the OW , just like the original Traits . The WvW/PvP-Fractal option is a failsafe

And what is stoping them from getting the legendary account bound relic then turn around  gathering and selling the none account bound relics?

6 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

And what is stoping them from getting the legendary account bound relic then turn around  gathering and selling the none account bound relics?

Well if you want a personal Legendery Runes for your trouble , then you don't need any new mechanic to participate/ make money (get the personal-tradable version from the Future Strikes) . We can put it WvW (now that all modes have legendary)

• Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

I chose to not do the work for legendary runes so I think it would be inappropriate to get a free one, "for my troubles." In general I am ok with the idea of playersbeing able to sell their drops/rewards to other players (which is why OW is the most lucrative content in the game). So I guess the "gold shards" option you mention.

1 hour ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Well if you want a personal Legendery Runes for your trouble , then you don't need any new mechanic to participate/ make money (get the personal-tradable version from the Future Strikes) . We can put it WvW (now that all modes have legendary)

That is not how this game works and its good it dont.

A person buying that scarlet combat tonic dont invalidate the reward to drop for them later so why should this now?

Its not Trolls its mostly new players.. in Newbies zones.

They join the game expecting a MMO like standard and the starter zones are dead, usually because of most players are in LS4 or EoD Hot trains or Fashion wars in Lions arch. etc.. So they think omfg dead game were is everyone and shoot to the forums..

Not everything is trolls.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

It's like the same 2 or 3 people posting a dozen topics on steam.

I guess IP bans aren't a thing on steam.  

What's really crazy is these 2 or 3 people apparently have a lot of time on their hands, and really get their jollies from talking negatively about a game.  Almost feel pity for them and how empty their lives must be.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

That is not how this game works and its good it dont.

A person buying that scarlet combat tonic dont invalidate the reward to drop for them later so why should this now?

The same could apply for Runes . They will not  invlidate anything if they don't cost gold (but only green-strike-shards) . Only time , which you are going to play them in the next expansion , so you will be wasting time , you cannot escape it .

I hope people keep pushing the idea (dead game posts in Steam forums) . It might lead lead the company to embrace the opinions of other .

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1