New Xpac Skyscale

I don't think I'll be buying the new xpac. As glad as I am for gw2 to be releasing a new xpac, it's just made my past effort to get a skyscale worthless. The skyscale was the legendary of mounts and now its just "here you go", past efforts void. No point playing for the grind if its just given away to please those who can't be bothered to put in the effort to begin with.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 21
  • Sad 3

Eh, I'm a tad put out about that but it's honestly not much of a problem. My bigger issues are:

1) No sign of a new mount or vehicle, which would be actual new content and a selling point to me rather than just reusing past systems/assets.

2) Less reason for players to populate PoF and LWS4 maps, which over time could greatly impact the amount of fun they are for the rest of us.

Just giving the players a little mini skyship or jetpack suit wouldn't have created nearly as many problems, frankly. But I'm just about past giving these devs any credit for likely thinking through these packs as anything more than a way to artificially extend the game's revenue with necromancy.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Guys, you’re missing the fact that there is a new skyscale mastery track with the new expac. If you completed one skyscale mastery track via season 4 of POF, then in SOTO you unlock and complete the masteries there for extra bonus effects. It entices people to do both methods. If you just do the easier way, you won’t get all the benefits of both tracks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

Guys, you’re missing the fact that there is a new skyscale mastery track with the new expac. If you completed one skyscale mastery track via season 4 of POF, then in SOTO you unlock and complete the masteries there for extra bonus effects. It entices people to do both methods. If you just do the easier way, you won’t get all the benefits of both tracks.

Why are people assuming that? You wont need to unlock it with the 2 methods in order to have benefits from both tracks. What you'll need to do is, after unlocking, actually training both tracks to get the benefits from both.

Pretty much like them giving Raptor, Springer and Glider on EoD...you would unlock them, but you wouldn't get the masteries for them until you went back to PoF/HoT and trained them, in no way they'll force players to unlock the same thing twice.

Edited by StarPT.7431
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, StarPT.7431 said:

Why are people assuming that? You wont need to unlock it with the 2 methods in order to have benefits from both tracks. What you'll need to do is, after unlocking, actually training both tracks to get the benefits from both.

Pretty much like them giving Raptor, Springer and Glider on EoD...you would unlock them, but you wouldn't get the masteries for them until you went back to PoF/HoT and trained them, in no way they'll force players to unlock the same thing twice.

Can't really know that for sure until it's actually released. The individual mastery tracks may still be locked behind the skyscale collection of each expac. Or doing the collection in one expac unlocks the mastery tracks for both expacs. I see either as equally possible, though I do hope that the tracks are locked by the collections. So that it still actually means something to have gone through the S4 collection of unlocking it - and still give players a reason to be doing that.

• Like 1

That is so true, working for the best mount made it worth achieving for, especially when you took time to see and play with the kid sky scale.

Now it's nothing much, the new players won't be attached to the mount as much. It just would be seen like a tool to be used. Sad people are gonna miss out on that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

As somebody who to this day hated doing that Skyscale obnoxious grind i'm all for the new players getting to avoid toxic game mechanics. 🥳

Working for achieving something is now toxic? The best part of the sky scale is how it was the only difficult mount to achieve and you watch it growing up, you watch it for 3 days irl, which was enough to feel it being more than a mount.

Instant gratification is the worst.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

The new expansion is set high in the skies above Tyria and it sounds like the skyscale will be pretty much required for it.

Do people really think that it would be a good idea to require new players to go back to the living world season of the second expansion before being able to go to the fourth expansion? 

It'd be one thing if a new player had access to the old expansions automatically but they don't. Instead they would be blocked from their purchase until they bought Path of Fire and LS4 then ground out the currency etc to unlock the skyscale.

Requiring players to do that sounds daft to me and I unlocked mine back at the end of LS4 before they reworked the time gates.

Edited by Pifil.5193
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

That is so true, working for the best mount made it worth achieving for, especially when you took time to see and play with the kid sky scale.

Now it's nothing much, the new players won't be attached to the mount as much. It just would be seen like a tool to be used. Sad people are gonna miss out on that.

Dude, don't be silly. For most people the "more than mount" effect goes away after a week or so and they just move on and treat it like yet another utility tool. It's just a video game, for Christ's sake.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

Can't really know that for sure until it's actually released. The individual mastery tracks may still be locked behind the skyscale collection of each expac. Or doing the collection in one expac unlocks the mastery tracks for both expacs. I see either as equally possible, though I do hope that the tracks are locked by the collections. So that it still actually means something to have gone through the S4 collection of unlocking it - and still give players a reason to be doing that.

"We love the freedom and movement options the skyscale offers—which is why we want to make sure it’s readily accessible to as many players as possible. " Straight out of their announcement....forcing players to unlock it 2 times would go against this.

• Confused 1

I'm cynical, so I just assumed this is about money. Selling legendary mount access for $24.95 is one hella of a incentive for new players to join, and they might just do that, also they can sell more skins to a larger consumer base too.

Either way, if this game gets the same revitalization that FF14 did then I'd be happy.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Witch Engine.2305 said:

I'm cynical, so I just assumed this is about money. Selling legendary mount access for $24.95 is one hella of a incentive for new players to join, and they might just do that, also they can sell more skins to a larger consumer base too.

Either way, if this game gets the same revitalization that FF14 did then I'd be happy.

They are taking a idea from blizzards dragon flight.

11 hours ago, StarPT.7431 said:

It's not assuming I think.

Skyscale [1] is gated behind achievement of LW4 and mastery point of PoF.

Skyscale [2] is gated behind SotO, and will have SotO mastery point.

it's must be two different mastery point, because it's two different expansion,
if new player only have SotO expac, when he unlock skyscale it's weird when he get the skyscale PoF mastery unlocked, because he don't have PoF expac.
so if new player want to unlock Skyscale[1] he need to have PoF expac.

That's explain, why it will be two different mastery that gated by two different achievement.

Also you can check it on wiki, SotO mastery 
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Secrets_of_the_Obscure#Masteries

The Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure expansion will feature Advanced Flight Masteries, built to complement existing mastery lines, usage of leylines and updrafts. The new mastery line also includes previous skyscale abilities like Air Rescue and Wall Launch.[1]

As a bonus for dedicated players, training both Season 4 and expansion masteries will unlock bonuses for skyscale skills.[1]

My main issue is, they need to increase bonus for dedicated player who unlock two skyscale mastery. 

Edit :
Well, having my skyscale can ride leyline, seem pretty good.
Also, new SotO skyscale don't have "Rift Repair" mastery. 

Edited by Gharuda.7805
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

This is a good business decision which will ultimately entice new players only testing the game out via the base game and reading about the grind the Skyscale is and deciding the game isn't for them. Some of the people here on the forums, in multiple threads now, need to keep in mind, games are about making money, that is the bottom line, it doesn't mean the developers don't have passion regarding this game, but this is about how much revenue a company can pull in. They may lose a few players, but they will gain a lot more with this decision.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

Working for achieving something is now toxic? The best part of the sky scale is how it was the only difficult mount to achieve and you watch it growing up, you watch it for 3 days irl, which was enough to feel it being more than a mount.

Instant gratification is the worst.

Was it really difficult. ..or just tedious?

• Haha 1

Spoiler

With updraft and ley line riding for both flying mounts, Griffon is going to outclass Skyscale so much in any map that has them.

Kinda brilliant.

All the players who haven’t got Skyscale yet are going to get into SotO, get their freebie Skyscale, and feel accomplished.

Until the Griffons go zooming past, regaining height on each updraft to keep zooming on. Which will point them back to PoF and the 250g sink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gharuda.7805 said:

if new player only have SotO expac, when he unlock skyscale it's weird when he get the skyscale PoF mastery unlocked, because he don't have PoF expac.

You would have no means of training it, so that changes nothing.

Plus, as it was with EoD, you could have raptor, springer and glider by just owning EoD and not owning PoF and HoT at all, you just wouldn't be able to train the masteries.

The new player will need to have PoF to train the PoF mastery, they won't need to unlock the mount again as they will already have it.

Edited by StarPT.7431
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

Dude, don't be silly. For most people the "more than mount" effect goes away after a week or so and they just move on and treat it like yet another utility tool. It's just a video game, for Christ's sake.

No not most. And part of a video games charm is how it immenses you in it, if you see this as just another video game, that's just your opinion, for others it's not "just a video game".

I agree that after few weeks they'd *see* it like any other mount, but it will never be *felt* as just another mount.

Delayed gratification is better than instant gratification.

• Like 1