Confirmed: no Revenants for players that only own Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

GM RJ (Guild Wars 2 Support)

Jul 4, 2023, 05:06 PDT

Hello,

As for your inquiry please note that the Revenant profession is only available to players who have purchased any of the Elder Dragon Saga expansion: Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire or End of Dragons. With that said, having only the Secrets of the Obscure will not make you eligible for the Revenant profession. I hope this clarifies your inquiry.

For additional information. You may refer to this link: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Revenant 

Regards,

GM RJ
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://help.guildwars2.com/

Looks like SotO isn't even treated as full expansion by ArenaNet internally.

• Like 11
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 4

It's also quite baffling that the GM linked a wiki-entry instead of an official support-page, since the wiki always has the disclaimer that it is only community-based. If you follow that link and its referenced sources, there isn't really an official statement or disclaimer about the absence of Revenants in the referenced original blog-post either. :classic_blink::classic_sad:

It seems ArenaNet has gone full scummy now to upsell their old stuff. :classic_angry:

Edited by SarajielKikiVelika.4952
typos
  • Like 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, SarajielKikiVelika.4952 said:

It's also quite baffling that the GM linked a wiki-entry instead of an official support page, since the wiki always has the disclaimer that it is only community-based and not actually official information. If you actually follow that link and its referenced sources, there isn't really an official statement or disclaimer about the absence of Revenants in the referenced original blog-post. :classic_angry::classic_blink::classic_sad:

Well, at least the Wiki page seems to be up-to-date, since the previous expansions are being referenced as "The Elder Dragon Saga", which is a recent terminology.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

you do know you need atleast one other expansion for nearly every feature of SotO right? It's not a full expansion by any stretch of the imagination... it's more like a more expensive living world update... (which is exactly what I had a feeling their change from Living World + Expansion releases to "mini-expansions" was actually going to be)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Umm not to rude but that makes sense, you need HoT for Revenant.

If you mouse-over the greyed-out Revenant class icon in the character creator of any F2P or core GW2 account, you are presented with the following text:

"Upgrade your account with a Guild Wars 2 expansion to unlock the revenant profession."

Which I did.

Interestingly the character creator is available now, but the last step can't be completed. Instead it throws a cryptic error code which both GMs involved in my ticket couldn't obviously make any sense of, since they actually contradicted each other in their answers and gave answers that were non-sensical when compared to information on the support pages.

So far the result was that above posted reply by one of them GM: no Revenants for SotO-only accounts.

This suggests at least four possibilities why that happened:

1. AreneNet/NC Soft tries to run an upsell scam.
  2. The CS team has no information about the new expansion and basically just tries to figure stuff out by reading the wiki, or is making stuff up to get rid of the open ticket.
  3. The current version of the game-client is buggy or incomplete.
  4. The expansion features like the Revenant class don't unlock during the pre-order period, but nobody thought to tell the player about it.

None of those options look good for ArenaNet and lead to a poor first experience for genuinely new players.

1 hour ago, Panda.1967 said:

you do know you need atleast one other expansion for nearly every feature of SotO right? It's not a full expansion by any stretch of the imagination... it's more like a more expensive living world update... (which is exactly what I had a feeling their change from Living World + Expansion releases to "mini-expansions" was actually going to be)

According to their news post (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/) it is an "expansion", not a "living world update" nor a "mini-expansion".

Therefore, it's quite reasonable to expect that it includes the features that require an "expansion" to work like the Revenant class or the permanent basic Raptor.

However, if you worry so much about my GW2 experience on my 28th account, feel free to gift me any other expansion or living world season you think I need to have. :classic_laugh:

Edited by SarajielKikiVelika.4952
typos... again...
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

Well originally you needed Hot but yes if the others do this one screams cheap and nasty.

That's because all 3 give elite specs for revenant. So you get the base spec and the relevant expansions elite spec. 

SotO does not have elite specs, so if they dod do it, you'd only get base rev. And then people would complain about that too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

You get PoF and HoT pretty cheap in a bundle, and they are regularly on sale. I would say buy it tbh, they are really not that expensive for all the content you get. 

At the least I wouldn't say they are trying to scam anyone. And if you have 27 other accounts you can presumably play rev on at least one of them? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, SarajielKikiVelika.4952 said:

According to their news post (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/) it is an "expansion", not a "living world update" nor a "mini-expansion".

And according to ArenaNet's Studio Update (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-in-2023/) post back in February, EoD is the LAST full expansion for GW2 and IBS was the last Living World... going forwards they will only be releasing Mini-expansions. SotO is the FIRST of those mini-expansions. It won't have as many new zones as any of the past expansions, the story will be shorter, it won't be as feature rich... for all intents and purposes they are just making Living World content released as one major update at a price tag that is a mere $5 cheaper than a full expansion...

Until ArenaNet decides these mini-expansions are bad for the game... we're stuck getting what amounts to a Living World season disguised as an expansion for the forseeable future.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

Just buy HoT if you want to play revenant. What’s the big deal?

people thinking that just because they CAN skip expansions that they SHOULD... GW2's expansions may each be stand-alone (in relation to eachother) but they are NOT like the expansions for, say ESO... they arn't just "optional side stories" and "content only used in the expansion only"... while sure, some masteries are useless outside their respective expansion zones, not all of them are... infact, HoTs is was the worst one about that... SotO and all future mini-expansions will probably be like that though...

that all said... OP... if you want to get Revenant unlocked with SotO... you'll have to convince ArenaNet to make a set of Elite Specs for SotO... otherwise there is no reason for SotO to need to unlock Revenant... As I've said before, it's a mini-expansion and hardly different from a Living World season.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

And according to ArenaNet's Studio Update (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-in-2023/) post back in February, EoD is the LAST full expansion for GW2 and IBS was the last Living World... going forwards they will only be releasing Mini-expansions. SotO is the FIRST of those mini-expansions. It won't have as many new zones as any of the past expansions, the story will be shorter, it won't be as feature rich... for all intents and purposes they are just making Living World content released as one major update at a price tag that is a mere $5 cheaper than a full expansion...

Until ArenaNet decides these mini-expansions are bad for the game... we're stuck getting what amounts to a Living World season disguised as an expansion for the forseeable future.

Well, too bad that they call SotO an "expansion" in their announcement then.

Either give the buyer the "expansion" features that are advertised inside the game-client or refund the sale. At the moment they don't want to do neither of those, but in the first reply to my ticket that GM tried to upsell a PoF license.

24 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

that all said... OP... if you want to get Revenant unlocked with SotO... you'll have to convince ArenaNet to make a set of Elite Specs for SotO... otherwise there is no reason for SotO to need to unlock Revenant... As I've said before, it's a mini-expansion and hardly different from a Living World season.

Since you didn't pay for my SotO-only license, I don't see any reason that I have to play GW2 the way you think I have to do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Really weird that EoD (and PoF) gave Revenant new especs and didn't require HoT.

But SotO gives Rev a new weapon as well as a weaponsmaster feature that literally doesn't work without especs.

There is plugging/advertising, there is incentivization, and then there is outright scamming people? Rev has been effectively core content since EoD, and arguably should have been before. 

Bad move, ANet. But are we even surprised at this point?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

That's because all 3 give elite specs for revenant. So you get the base spec and the relevant expansions elite spec. 

SotO does not have elite specs, so if they dod do it, you'd only get base rev. And then people would complain about that too.

Ok that got me thinking. People who go from FTP to SOTO would not have any elite specs anyway, right? I can already envision the complain posts 😅. Thinking about it more: Does that not mean they cannot use certain weapon choices also? In the process devaluating the weapon choice/skills/freedom selling point of the Expac? I wonder how that can work in anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, particlepinata.9865 said:

Ok that got me thinking. People who go from FTP to SOTO would not have any elite specs anyway, right? I can already envision the complain posts 😅. Thinking about it more: Does that not mean they cannot use certain weapon choices also? In the process devaluating the weapon choice/skills/freedom selling point of the Expac? I wonder how that can work in anyway.

I suppose they will still get the new core weapons but yeah, that whole mastery is not modular like old horizontal progression and is totally useless in SotO by itself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

this a mini expansion. Not a full expansion, thats why

I’m not disagreeing that, but that is unrelated to my reply which is correcting another poster that HoT is not the only expansion to give the Revenant.

I still think it is an oversight, mini expac or not, but that wasn’t the point I was making in the post you quoted

• Like 3

Just now, Randulf.7614 said:

I’m not disagreeing that, but that is unrelated to my reply which is correcting another poster that HoT is not the only expansion to give the Revenant.

I still think it is an oversight, mini expac or not, but that wasn’t the point I was making in the post you quoted

It's clearly not much of an oversight, if any, if support is confirming it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, Batalix.2873 said:

It's clearly not much of an oversight, if any, if support is confirming it.

The impression I got from the support comment above was that they just looked at wiki and didn’t ask anyone of seniority at Anet

If I am wrong, then I’m wrong. I still think it will be corrected either way

• Like 2
  • Confused 1