Race Change [Merged]

Race Change Poll  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be able to race change your character?

• Yes but I would like to redo the personal story to match the new race
    • Yes - Nice and Simple
    • No - but I'm okay with that option being available for other players
    • No - Nice and Simple

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/2023 at 06:00 AM

I have an alternate idea! Instead of a race change, how about . . . a new race! Now, hold up there, forum chorus! I'm not talking tengu, or largos, or skritt, or even the one race everybody really wants but few are brave enough to ask for, choya, but...

A Metamorphodude! A creature from somewhere in the twilight zo... uh, some far flung unspoken of nether region of the Mists, that occasionally enters into our beloved Tyria and takes the form of whatever the heck (playable) race it wants, for as long as it wants, and which can change to another (playable) race, any time it wants -- heck, maybe even to another profession! I mean, if you're gonna dream, might as well dream BIG.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

I have an alternate idea! Instead of a race change, how about . . . a new race! Now, hold up there, forum chorus! I'm not talking tengu, or largos, or skritt, or even the one race everybody really wants but few are brave enough to ask for, choya, but...

A Metamorphodude! A creature from somewhere in the twilight zo... uh, some far flung unspoken of nether region of the Mists, that occasionally enters into our beloved Tyria and takes the form of whatever the heck (playable) race it wants, for as long as it wants, and which can change to another (playable) race, any time it wants -- heck, maybe even to another profession! I mean, if you're gonna dream, might as well dream BIG.

and also the ability to race change to this new race with paid services 🙂

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

So this new race would not be able to play the story at all then?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Forums search would find many threads on this topic that already show that Anet will not be doing race changes and the explanations why.

Arent these reasons mostly the personal story, which most people dont care about anyway tho?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

So this new race would not be able to play the story at all then?

Dream BIG! Give em access to any story at any time. "My name is Icuda Ben Anelph. I'm a metamorphodude from the Mists. This one time, in Queensdale, while pretending to be a human guardian, something Logan Thackeray called 'a threat' exploded in my face and etc. etc. etc."

Maybe instead of being shapeshifters, they could be body snatchers! Or they could temporarily take over people like the alien in that movie 'The Hidden' with the guy from Twin Peaks. Which, technically, I guess, is still a form of body snatching. Or they could be like Sam Beckett, leaping from race to race, trying to fix stuff that, ya know, "don't look right."

Edited by Tachenon.5270
super secret tetchnical protocols
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

Arent these reasons mostly the personal story, which most people dont care about anyway tho?

There are also cultural armors, home instances, voice acting, the later story, racial skills, etc.

As far as I remember the Dev respronse, the race is rooted somewhere deep inside the old spaghetti code and it was even possible to completely destroy chars when they tested changes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

If race change would break x y and/or z in the game then even though you don't care about the story, breaking x y and/or z might probably still make introduction of the feature you want not worth it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So allow players to race change when they have explored the whole map and finished every story. 

Dont really change race, just make new character that will have its map completed with bag slots unlocked and with a chest that contains everything you had on that old character.  So in reality they will delete your old and give you new one with same progresion and stuff you had on the old one. I would be willing to give up on my 11th birthday gift. But with medium armor asura, you have so limited option when it comes to fashion wars. 

Its their game, i am sure there is some way around it to make it work. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

If you are going to pay a lot of gems for a "new character that will have its map completed with bag slots unlocked and with a chest that contains everything you had on that old character", why not focus on that as a request? There's no reason to complicate it by linking it to a race change and the deletion of the old character.

• Like 1