SoTo more serious tone.

https://www.techradar.com/gaming/guild-wars-2s-latest-expansion-has-a-more-adult-voice-thanks-to-elden-ring-and-dungeons-and-dragons

Anet is actually taking inspiration from Souls games?! This is huge. I'm starting to feel the hype. We need more information like this but please post it on the forums next time.

Am I not going to have to hear my 500 pound ferocious charr say "awh" to taimi again?! Sign me up! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

https://www.techradar.com/gaming/guild-wars-2s-latest-expansion-has-a-more-adult-voice-thanks-to-elden-ring-and-dungeons-and-dragons

Anet is actually taking inspiration from Souls games?! This is huge. I'm starting to feel the hype. We need more information like this but please post it on the forums next time.

Am I not going to have to hear my 500 pound ferocious charr say "awh" to taimi again?! Sign me up! 

They're not going to do interviews like this on the forum. It's part of the promotion for the expansion, and the game in general. Having it on 3rd party sites brings it to the attention of people who aren't currently playing and can get them interested in the game, or at least let them know it's still active and getting new updates. (By far the most common question I get when I mention GW2 to people who aren't playing is "Isn't that an old game? Is it still going?"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

They're not going to do interviews like this on the forum. It's part of the promotion for the expansion, and the game in general. Having it on 3rd party sites brings it to the attention of people who aren't currently playing and can get them interested in the game, or at least let them know it's still active and getting new updates. (By far the most common question I get when I mention GW2 to people who aren't playing is "Isn't that an old game? Is it still going?"

Both would be nice. I don't see why they can't have a post with a link to the website on the gw2 homepage. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Right... does the title "Secrets of the Obscure" even sounds serious in the first place?

Yeah the name is a bit lame. Secrets of the Unknown (which by definition secrets are) would be the same or another alternative would be the secretive secrets, which sounds more like the title of a children's book. But never judge a book by its cover, right? 😉

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

I don't even think it needs to be more serious, it just needs to have more emphasis on fantasy and the escapism attached to it. Less modern city life, less emphasis on checking social boxes and more on the wonder of strange hidden landscapes and wizards practising their craft in isolation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Elding Ring vs Gorik and Taimi and love crazed Rama.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

17 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

In the text the main influence mentioned was actually Dungeons and Dragons, and we know how deep, dark and serious that can be [/sarcasm]. Besides, look at how Gyala's apparent attempt to go into more dark themes ended up in game telling us what we should feel, instead of it making us feel that way.

So, i'd not expect much from this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

13 minutes ago, babana.7521 said:

I am confuse, you are happy because they are copying other games? 

New ideas are so 1990. These days it's all about memberberries, subverting your expectations and making your characters relatable by having them speak like a jersey shore outcast. /s

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

Yes actually I am. I am happy they are taking what works in other games and bringing it to gw2. Its about time. All these games are taking ideas from gw2 but Anet is too good to do the same? I don't think so. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

New ideas are so 1990. These days it's all about memberberries, subverting your expectations and making your characters relatable by having them speak like a jersey shore outcast. /s

Not every last thing Anet does has to be a new unique idea...Imagine every company followed that logic. Majority of them would be out of business tomorrow. 

Edited by Beast Sos.1457
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, GeraldBC.4927 said:

I don't even think it needs to be more serious, it just needs to have more emphasis on fantasy and the escapism attached to it. Less modern city life, less emphasis on checking social boxes and more on the wonder of strange hidden landscapes and wizards practising their craft in isolation. 

Good point. I agree. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

we need to be careful with this, because we're getting farther and farther into "this isn't guild wars" vibes the last few years i think. part of the reason players love the game is because its a campy mess that doesn't take itself too seriously; there's already enough serious media out there.

something few could seem to understand is, its deliberately designed to be cringe to keep you from getting fatigued by constant world-ending scenarios, and the fact that this game is overall very dark when you look beneath the surface. the story has often been regarded as being a little too extreme by reviewers since it doesn't hold your hand and embraces tropes like anyone can die (even if they reversed it poorly that one time).

its like the bramble scramble levels of donkey kong country: they were found to be so extremely frustrating in testing that the famously calm and serene music was added on top to keep players from giving up. that's what the nonsense coating on this game is about as well.

icebrood saga was smart here and offset the impending seriousness of bjora and drizzlewood with the grothmar masterpiece.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

we need to be careful with this, because we're getting farther and farther into "this isn't guild wars" vibes the last few years. part of the reason players love it is because its a campy mess that doesn't take itself too seriously; there's already enough serious media out there.

icebrood saga was smart here and offset the impending seriousness of bjora and drizzlewood with the grothmar masterpiece.

The Guild Wars series has always had a serious tone to it. If anything Gw2 has steered away from that with the story telling. To me this seems like its going back to its roots. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy some comedic relief here and there but I enjoy it more when I run across it in the open world then when its forced into the story. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

There's this saying in my language that roughly translates to: better well stolen/copied than invented poorly.

I think that the darker tone did work for HoT but not sure if it's too far out of the comfort zone of the writers to go really dark. So if they can pull it off then great, but I'm not convinced they can really manage darker story telling. So not sure if this will be successful. We'll soon find out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

The Guild Wars series has always had a serious tone to it. If anything Gw2 has steered away from that with the story telling. To me this seems like its going back to its roots. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy some comedic relief here and there but I enjoy it more when I run across it in the open world then when its forced into the story. 

i suggest you go back and play the first game in 2023 and you will see how badly it has aged, especially the dialogue.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

Newsflash; all games copy each other, at least they will look to other games and see if popular features of those games can be used as inspiration for new stuff in their own game.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Not every last thing Anet does has to be a new unique idea...Imagine every company followed that logic. Majority of them would be out of business tomorrow. 

Particularly since very little of what ANet has done is unique. What they have done is put their own spin on existing tropes of various fantasy genres.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1