I need a less time-consuming way of generating research notes

As the title says. I need a lot these days and have been generating them by converting excess T5 materials to gloves and foci. The sheer management of material overflow and crafting is wearing me down. Other facts about me and my play style: I have all crafting disciplines maxed out (except for scribe), I have better things to do with my T6 materials and I rarely ever buy anything at the tp. What do you suggest?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The absolute best, and less time-consuming way is trashing ascended armor and weapons, but it's best if you already have full legendaries (unless you're fine with Exotics if you don't have leggies), and do some end game content like Fractals/Raids/Strikes to get the chests, then you stat swap these pieces so they count as a crafted item, and there you go.

You can get 100-500 Notes per any Ascended Piece, and ascended coats and weapons will almost always give 500 Notes, i trashed 6 random pieces a few days ago (for trading at the Docks), and got around 1500-2000 Notes, just like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Brandon Uzumaki.1524 said:

The absolute best, and less time-consuming way is trashing ascended armor and weapons, but it's best if you already have full legendaries (unless you're fine with Exotics if you don't have leggies), and do some end game content like Fractals/Raids/Strikes to get the chests, then you stat swap these pieces so they count as a crafted item, and there you go.

You can get 100-500 Notes per any Ascended Piece, and ascended coats and weapons will almost always give 500 Notes, i trashed 6 random pieces a few days ago (for trading at the Docks), and got around 1500-2000 Notes, just like that.

I sadly can't do much fractals these days. I have started doing raids, but I am working through my first set of legendary armor, so I may need the regular salvage more. It is tempting. Of course, it does not work on ascended backpacks? I've got too many of those lying around.

15 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yeah, it's a bummer that you can't salvage all ascended gear for Research Notes. Don't get the logic behind that.

The goal of research notes was to take crafting materials out of the game by making them only work on craftable items to balance the resource market and give relevance to materials not used as often in meta gear. All ascended backs come from mystic forge / collections / map currency, so yeah...bummer but makes sense. I think the best way is to just take the dive, buy crafting materials in bulk and then get yourself to a couple ten thousand research notes and never worry again.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Harfang.1507 said:

I need a lot these days and have been generating them by converting excess T5 materials to gloves and foci. The sheer management of material overflow and crafting is wearing me down.

That is just Silk Gloves Padding + Silk Gloves Panel + up to 8 different types of insignias but since you can only do one type at a time it should only be taking up 3 inventory slot. How are you running into overflow issues?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't mess around with my time. When I need Research notes I by something like 30-40 exotic helms from the TP and use the kit. Does it cost more? Yes, but I spend hardly any time at all on it. The next best thing would be to buy the mats to make exotic helms on mass and salvage via the forge. That may or may not be quicker, if you are trying to save money then there is some planning overhead while you catalogue what you have in storage versus what you need. To me that overhead time is usually longer than my just clicking through my inventory with the kit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/8/2023 at 10:50 AM, Marthis.9814 said:

I always buy 'Potent Potion of Sons of Svanir Slaying' for 1s36c from trading post and use them to get research notes.

This. It's fairly easy to just throw some gold at the research notes costs if you don't want to put in other work for them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/9/2023 at 7:12 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yeah, it's a bummer that you can't salvage all ascended gear for Research Notes. Don't get the logic behind that.

The logic is that it's for CRAFTED stuff. It's supposed to be a mat sink.  So letting you salvage stuff from raids, which I have a ton of, isn't really helpful, because it's not getting mats out of the system. There are tons of ways to get mats now, so they wanted a sink. That's the logic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The logic is that it's for CRAFTED stuff. It's supposed to be a mat sink.  So letting you salvage stuff from raids, which I have a ton of, isn't really helpful, because it's not getting mats out of the system. There are tons of ways to get mats now, so they wanted a sink. That's the logic.

Yeah and they could just add a vendor where you could straight buy notes for mats. Easy and efficient.

If they wanted to go one step further the price could adjust globally based on the amount bought. For example if everyone were exchanging mithril for notes, the price would go up slowly. That would pull mithril out of the market up to a point when it would be more profitable to use something else. It would ensure that the least valuable materials would always be the best and would effectively balance out the mat price at the lower end which would be very nice for the economy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Yeah and they could just add a vendor where you could straight buy notes for mats. Easy and efficient.

If they wanted to go one step further the price could adjust globally based on the amount bought. For example if everyone were exchanging mithril for notes, the price would go up slowly. That would pull mithril out of the market up to a point when it would be more profitable to use something else. It would ensure that the least valuable materials would always be the best and would effectively balance out the mat price at the lower end which would be very nice for the economy.

Agree 100%. They could have done it that way and it would have been much easier. Except that what they did was also make some other items go up in price. Their strategy didn't just affect mats.  I'd have preferred easier and more straightforward, but that's not the comment I'm making.

The comment I was responding to was why you can only salvage some ascended, but you can't salvage lets say the raid ascended items that can't be crafted. And that answer remains the same.  There are many ways the system that exists can be improved, of that I have no doubt.