How viable do you thing mace will be?

asterix.9614

Apart from staff, what elite spec weapon has ever been viable in wvw roaming for ranger? Everything either simmers down to power lb+gs or druid staff+ core weapon. Why is everything we get so bad that we can only be viable playing the same old style everytime. I am afraid that mace will be equally bad, and just another weapon that can be ticked off the box of things the ranger "can use", but is a pile of 💩 

• Confused 1

Does it matter?

Even if it puts ranger on top of the roaming food chain it. does. not. matter. WvW is now officially confirmed to be abandoned. Content drought for years and years with no hope for future and its consistently getting worse...

They have absolutely no idea how to balance their game and there are no incentives to play the gamemode let alone winning it. Even if rangers suddenly becomes a blast to play and Tier 1 you will still be doing the same thing you were doing before. Roaming is a rotting job in a rotting gamemode. Not to mention ranger is not guardian, they wont even blink an eye in regards to nerfing... As soon as you become popular they will bring down the nerf hammer while willbender, ever since it launched, popping the kitten off.

There are things in game that requires hotfix level of attention from devs and they are completely dominating the game... If their way of solving these, from the viewpoint of ranger, is by releasing an ubiquitous weapon then no thanks. I would rather have a complete rework of ranger and its unique, outdated mechanic than get a new shiny weapon that will be overused much like gs/lb.

• Like 3
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2023 at 12:29 AM, Draeyon.4392 said:

I'm hoping that they're AoE range skills (or cleave type skills if they are set on more melee weapons) No single target nonsense, ranger has plenty of that already.

Something like rev hammer or mace.

It'd be cool if the maces were used more like drums. Pounding the earth to stir up nature spirits to attack nearby enemies or something.

It'll probably just be cracking heads with furious melee strikes, but one can hope for a little more variety in the ranger arsenal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I don't expect it to be viable at all for me.  But, then again, I typically do not run with whatever the popular meta build(s) are.  I'm not a fan of this weapon for ranger, so I will probably never use it.  /shrug

good 🙂 , not all things are meant to be liked by everyone

It will be somewhere between god emperor-tier and uninstall tier, inclusive. Beyond that we can't really say.

As an educated guess, though, there's a good chance it will be defense/support/CC-oriented since most maces are, and thus be a bit of a niche weapon (albeit possibly welcome because it's a niche that existing ranger weapons don't really fill). But they might surprise us.

14 minutes ago, WastedYears.8934 said:

Ranger doesn’t have a “spin” melee damage skill yet.

While not spinning your character (unless I misremember the animation), Whirling Defense (Axe 5) counts towards that kind of ability and has a Whirling Finisher.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

As many weapons don't act like in  reality it could also be a healing weapon , a range dps weapon or a melee one , seeing mesmer with Gs being 1200 range , cata with mid range hammer, ranger with infinite pockets of throwing axes , it could be everything .

Cata hammer is melee for all intents and purposes. Calling it 'midrange' is a gross exaggeration of its ranged capabilities, especially given the sluggish projectile speeds.

I also wouldn't expect a relatively low-magic profession like ranger to have something like mesmer greatsword. Not impossible, mind you, but unlikely.

The most likely possibility is something broadly similar to maces on other professions. This is a group that includes the warrior offhand mace shockwave and all the revenant stuff, though. So 'nature magic powered close range AoE' is certainly a possibility.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Cata hammer is melee for all intents and purposes. Calling it 'midrange' is a gross exaggeration of its ranged capabilities, especially given the sluggish projectile speeds.

I also wouldn't expect a relatively low-magic profession like ranger to have something like mesmer greatsword. Not impossible, mind you, but unlikely.

The most likely possibility is something broadly similar to maces on other professions. This is a group that includes the warrior offhand mace shockwave and all the revenant stuff, though. So 'nature magic powered close range AoE' is certainly a possibility.

Didn't say it is well designed , but half of his skills are mid range, i know they are bad , but it is mid range.

Ranger can throw axes so he would be able to throw maces , gs for mesmer is just an example that the first weapon use in mind of all ppl (me include) is not what it is in this game , if you speek about a greatsword or zweihander first thing in mind is close up combat with slashing skills.