Skills that require you to stand still to execute are bad and should be changed.

ShadowLurker.8713

I'm talking about 100 blades, whirling defense, zealot's defense, crystal hibernation, meteor shower, etc. A lot of these skills require a setup to be usable, either a knockdown or an immobilize, which is usually a waste of a utility slot. It feels arbitrary which skills have mobility and which don't. There are many powerful skills that let you move during the execution. And it just feels bad since a lot of your survivability and effectiveness in this game depends on your mobility. I would like to see these skills changed so that you can move while executing them without the skill getting cancelled, even if it means they get nerfed a bit, but in my opinion the nerf is not necessary. Freedom of movement makes combat more fun and dynamic and interactive. What do you guys and gals think?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I would also like to see these changes. Even if they have to tweak the damage slightly on some skills.

Ranger Whirling Defense has always had this issue since the very similar Whirling Axe on warrior has always been allowed to move.

Plus they even made this revision on Flurry recently. You can now move while executing it.

Standing still in this game is far too high of a cost to justify it on those skills, not only are you more vulnerable while performing them, your opponents can easily avoid them just by moving slightly without even wasting a dodge. Having to hard CC someone to land the full skill needs to be far more rewarding than they currently allow, especially seeing as you also have to be in melee range.

• Like 3

Yeah I agree completely.

I just woke up so if I'm wrong please correct me, but aren't also many of these skills defensive in some way?

Zealot's Defense and Whirling Defenses Block/Reflects projectiles, Mesmer Sword #3 Evades etc.

Some skills have been reworked during the years, I believe both Guardian Shield #5 and Engineer Shield #5 (also reflects/block) were initially stationary. Also the Thief Elite Dancing daggers?

But then some were left like the ones mentioned in this thread, I dont see the pattern for rework either, they reworked some skills that were purely defensive and many that are left I believe are both defensive and offensive which would be a reason, but then why add movement to Thief Dancing Dagger Elite etc...

Edit: I'd just like to add that I'd be okay with some skills rooting you if there was at least a pattern to it, such as the skill being a very powerful defensive skill such as Guardians Invulnerable Elite etc, but now it's just the wild west if it's damage (ranger LB #5) or defensive/offensive combinations.

Edited by Marckan.9526
  • Like 1

Man the audience of this game really "evolved" past me... I actualy like the idea that powerful casts root you. It's a tradeoff. I like tradeoffs. 
Yet here is the dev team removing tradeoffs from e-specs, and the forum actively campaigning to remove tradeoffs from skills... I AM SAD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Bazsi.2734 said:

Man the audience of this game really "evolved" past me... I actualy like the idea that powerful casts root you. It's a tradeoff. I like tradeoffs.

i also like the idea that powerfulcasts root you. dont get this wrong....

sadly the skills that root you dont pack enough punch to justify that root.   and thats the crutch.

i mean... hundredblades is literally whirling light.....   but it immobilizes you..... takes more than double the time to delive roughly the same powerdamage.... doenst apply weakness..... and also doesnt apply burn.....     its just overall weaker....     

its simply not a powerful skill anymore in 2023 guildwars.  The skill didnt age well.

i know that one is a utilityskill and one is a weaponskill, so its hard comparing them... but you get the idea.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bazsi.2734 said:

Yet here is the dev team removing tradeoffs from e-specs, and the forum actively campaigning to remove tradeoffs from skills... I AM SAD.

You're not alone, see my post right above yours - I just wish there was some clear reasoning behind it - now it feels like anything goes and the only deciding factor is how much the devs likes their own profession...

I agree it's a cool way to distinguish high impact skills, that require setup to pull off. Or skills that are insanely powerful like Mesmer Sword #3 which is just loaded.

But there's no general consensus  on how this is applied in the current game... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bazsi.2734 said:

Key word is powerful. 

Skills like 100 blades and killshot are not strong enough anymore for such a harsh downside. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

i also like the idea that powerfulcasts root you. dont get this wrong....

sadly the skills that root you dont pack enough punch to justify that root.   and thats the crutch.

A month ago we had people salting the earth over Worldly Impact which 'roots' the ranger.

Root is an incorrect term though as it implies self-immobilize, so OP's working around that with 'stand still to execute' is way better description.  I just call it self-canceling.

Anyway, at least for ranger, aforementioned Worldly Impact along with Barrage and Whirling Defense are why self-canceling skills exist.  There's simply no way these forums would let those three ranger skills also have unrestricted movement--because one of them, Worldy Impact, DID have unrestricted movement for about 5 minutes in beta.  It didn't make it out of beta before it became self-canceling.

Setup though, is a Druid's worst nightmare right now because CA #5 also self-cancels and it is the main damage component of Eclipse.  Since ancient seeds was removed, it's a lot harder to immob someone into it.

In fact, as ranger it's a lot harder to immob anything into your hard hitting self-cancel's because even something like prelude lash had the immob removed because people apparently have the reflexes of rocks.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Root is an incorrect term though as it implies self-immobilize

yes you are right. but then again... who cares? 

we all know what we are talking about when someone says  "self root"  we all know what people mean with "self immob"

I specifically said:  "it forces you to be immobile" in my posts, because i knew you would chime in, the second i said "root" and correct me.    

but Baszi used the term root, so i responded with the same term.  

we all know what we are talking about, dont we? 😄   no need to bring this up again.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1