I miss the old conversations

So I started a new character, playing through core again, and it occured to me that we haven't had the cutscenes like we used to. We haven't had that since Scarlet's War. And I miss them. I liked when characters talked you could both see and hear them clearly as the dialogue went back and forth, as opposed to now where dialogue just....happens, and maybe you're facing the right direction, maybe the audio comes through clearly, or maybe one of the NPCs is stuck in a wall somewhere and you miss half of all the conversation altogether.

I really think this should have been kept, and while it wasn't, it should be brought back.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I think opinions on this might go apart. Some players enjoyed the core system, others did not.

I for one never enjoyed being torn out of the game world into a quasi cinematic. The newer approach also allows for far more experience and things to go on and is far less static.

Not saying one is wrong for enjoying the older approach, it just wasn't for me personally.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I do not like these, I still find them a drag.  They were one of the least interesting things about the game when I started.  Being able to skip was nice, but the first time...ugggghhhh.

I like the current dialogues, I do like to be able to read them as well in case I'm zoning out.  I would rather have that the current style, but can appreciate someone preferring the old 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

I think opinions on this might go apart. Some players enjoyed the core system, others did not.

I for one never enjoyed being torn out of the game world into a quasi cinematic. The newer approach also allows for far more experience and things to go on and is far less static.

Not saying one is wrong for enjoying the older approach, it just wasn't for me personally.

It's come up a few times and opinions are definitely split.

They worked better for my specific circumstances, but I think that's fairly unusual. I normally have to play with the sound turned off, so I can't hear the dialogue but I'm also dyslexic and read slowly. Having a cut scene where I know nothing's going to happen and I can just focus on what's being said works much better for me than hoping to catch a line in the chat box or a speech bubble while I'm in the middle of running or fighting.

Also when I can have the sound on I still find I miss a lot of what's being said because as someone else mentioned the dialogue is directional so unless you're facing the person speaking it can be very quiet and easily muffled by other noises. More than once I've found I only get 1/2 the conversation because we're running somewhere while talking and one of the NPCs insists on being behind my character no matter how I try to position myself. I especially don't like when a conversation happens during combat because then I have to give up on following it and hope there's time to stop afterwards to re-read it in the chat box, and hope I'm able to make sense of it and match it up to what was happening.

Having said that I do think the new format works better for when characters are doing something as well as talking (I'd just prefer it not to be combat). There's a few points in the personal story where you see characters reacting to something that happened but it doesn't really make sense because what you see is two of them standing there calmly having a chat, not whatever it is they're reacting to.

My personal preference would be to use a mix of both - use the personal story cut scene style if they're just talking (especially if there's a lot of discussion going on) and the new 'in world' conversation style when you need to also see what they're doing or what's happening around them, and stop having important conversations during combat when it's difficult to hear or read. But I don't know that anyone else would want that.

• Like 2

I don't mind the cutscenes, I find them quite nice and I like them too. 

I really hated when they changed after the core story at LW1 - LW2 I believe, our PC did not speak at all, only using, ''Press F to talk in text'' while npcs were talking. 😠

I do like what we have now, our PC talks, sometimes shows emotes even while they're talking, 🙂 

• Like 2

The biggest problem with the old dialog scenes was a lack of dynamism. The format of characters standing on opposite sides of the screen in front of a black background talking and occasionally gesturing isn't exactly gripping, cutting-edge cinema.

Even the simplest of things like showing the world in the background or moving characters around on the screen instead of swapping them in and out of stationary positions would have been a vast improvement.

Indeed, that might have even proven preferable to the current regime of multiple characters shouting incomprehensibly over each other while drowned out by combat or stuck inside a wall somewhere out of sight, leaving important plot points and mechanics effectively unexplained and players wondering what the hell is going on.

Yet for all their chaotic incoherence, the lost-in-a-riot in-world dialogs of today may arguably constitute a step up from the wooden freshman drama club deliveries of old. But frankly, that ain't saying much.

Here's to a bold, bright future where just about any change on this front would be an improvement.  😏

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:01 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

At least you could hit skip if you'd already been through it. 

Personally, I liked the old system better.

This is why the old system is better. If they somehow implement skips to the new system, I would like it better. Playing through story on another character when I just want to get to somewhere is a huge pain when the characters just keep talking for ages.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1