Improvement of mentor/commander tag

Can we get either "poor" man's commander tag or improve mentor tag? Like New type of tag would allow you to only create 10 man squads with same functionality of normal commie tag. Most important part it would be locked by mastery track or achievements.

Also some improvements for current commie tag would be nice like lieutenants also having visible tag or something only for ppl within same subgroup as them and better highlight in squad for player current almost invisible highlight of yourself is almost invisble. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Can we get either "poor" man's commander tag or improve mentor tag? Like New type of tag would allow you to only create 10 man squads with same functionality of normal commie tag. Most important part it would be locked by mastery track or achievements.

Also some improvements for current commie tag would be nice like lieutenants also having visible tag or something only for ppl within same subgroup as them and better highlight in squad for player current almost invisible highlight of yourself is almost invisble. 

I do havev comm tag but I kinda think it should not be locked behind goldwall, should be an achiev of multiple metas or something like that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I have a comm tag, but I do kinda wish the mentor tag allowed to at least place a couple markers. 
To be perfectly honest, I wish the mentor tag only allowed for 5-man groups and we could use it in fractals (with aforementioned markers). Of course we could still use it now as an tag to rally people to us on maps, etc., since you don't have to join said group.

But, as far as lieutenants and subgroup organization/control, etc., I think this should be a commander tag only feature. I consider this kind of squad building more "advanced" than showing people around "aka" mentoring them and should be. For most people that are knowledgeable enough to command stuff in WvW or PvE, the 250g price tag isn't that high since they will make that pretty quickly playing said content. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Commander tag cost is probably designed as a soft time gate to avoid relatively new players tagging up when they shouldn't. 

When acquiring 300 gold is not a problem, the player is probably experienced enough to tag up. 

Obviously a soft time gate, since you can just CC swipe. 

Tag is only important for big groups, mentor works fine for more casual stuff. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Assolador.3598 said:

not for us, but it was when I was midgame, and it is for most players, believe it or not

Back in my day it was 100G, which was a lot harder to come by at the time. Plus, you had to walk uphill in the snow for miles both ways just to get it! Kids nowadays just want everything handed to them....get off my lawn!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Back in my day it was 100G, which was a lot harder to come by at the time. Plus, you had to walk uphill in the snow for miles both ways just to get it! Kids nowadays just want everything handed to them....get off my lawn!

Currently, the ability to create a large group costs 300g, making it a significant investment. While achieving this through in-game accomplishments isn't entirely free, achievements would be less painful than managing gold expenses. Also the capacity to form a big group shouldn't be directly purchasable with real money (via buying gems and converting to gold).

This feature is intended to be be earned through gameplay time, emphasizing dedication. Opting for achievement-based access over gold not only removes the pay to get tag, but also eliminates the need for players to spend 300g, which is way more inclusive since you cannot make progress backwards (by spending gold)

The results would be more tags on lfg for either 10 or 50 man content.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

24 minutes ago, Assolador.3598 said:

Currently, the ability to create a large group costs 300g, making it a significant investment. While achieving this through in-game accomplishments isn't entirely free, achievements would be less painful than managing gold expenses. Also the capacity to form a big group shouldn't be directly purchasable with real money (via buying gems and converting to gold).

This feature is intended to be be earned through gameplay time, emphasizing dedication. Opting for achievement-based access over gold not only removes the pay to get tag, but also eliminates the need for players to spend 300g, which is way more inclusive since you cannot make progress backwards (by spending gold)

The results would be more tags on lfg for either 10 or 50 man content.

Doubt -people having aversion to creating groups don't have that aversion "because no tag". They also don't need a tag to advertise their group in the first place.

"progress backwards (by spending gold)"? What are you even talking about? You're not "making progress backwards" because you're spending currency on something. That's the point of the currency in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

I was buying an exotic aquabreather, and I realized somebody there would sell me a commander tag for 300g, which I just happened to have, barely (saving up gold has never been one of my strong traits, but SotO has had me playing much more lately...)

Now, I've been enjoying the game for a long time, but I'm strictly casual:  I couldn't lead a 5- or 10-man group anywhere but to their untimely demise.  My vanity guild is actually named "Blind Guides"; you do not wanna follow me...

In the perfect game, an achievement-related tag would be the norm; if I followed a Commander, I would expect him to be competent...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Doubt -people having aversion to creating groups don't have that aversion "because no tag". They also don't need a tag to advertise their group in the first place.

"progress backwards (by spending gold)"? What are you even talking about? You're not "making progress backwards" because you're spending currency on something. That's the point of the currency in the first place.

progress towards getting tag

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

25 minutes ago, Baddxian.3851 said:

I was buying an exotic aquabreather, and I realized somebody there would sell me a commander tag for 300g, which I just happened to have, barely (saving up gold has never been one of my strong traits, but SotO has had me playing much more lately...)

Now, I've been enjoying the game for a long time, but I'm strictly casual:  I couldn't lead a 5- or 10-man group anywhere but to their untimely demise.  My vanity guild is actually named "Blind Guides"; you do not wanna follow me...

In the perfect game, an achievement-related tag would be the norm; if I followed a Commander, I would expect him to be competent...

ya

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Assolador.3598 said:

I thought there was none since u said tags were 100g 😕

Originally Commander tags WERE 100g. That changed quite a while back, although ANet very nicely gave a heads-up that the price would be changing. I ended up buying my tag way back when because of that warning, not because I was any way competent to tag up, but because I hoped then that I might someday be, still waiting for someday to come. 

1 hour ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Those were the days! Don't forget having to carry 50lbs of schoolbooks compendiums without the benefit of ascended backpacks that kids get these days! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Baddxian.3851 said:

Earning 300g is every bit as much of an achievements as pretty much anything in the achievement panel. What achievement do you think dwmonstrates that someone is competent to lead a large squad?

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Only thing I would like is to introduce a sort of 'color reservation' in particular map instances. Sometimes I lead groups for rifts in Amnytas and tag up in a color other than green (because it defaults to green). There have been instances where someone else tags up for a different thing but uses the same color I'm already using, causing confusion among my group to go to the wrong tag. What's worse, it happened 3 different times with the same group I was with. I had to change my color 3 times in less than a half hour because other players just did not pay attention to the fact that I was already using a color.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Assolador.3598 said:

I thought there was none since u said tags were 100g 😕

They were 100g, per character. When they made them account wide, they upped the price to 300g.

Factoring for the new wizard vault reward system and the over 600g just through that per 3 month period, those 100g or 300g in the past would be the equivalent to over 1,000g today, or more.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Earning 300g is every bit as much of an achievements as pretty much anything in the achievement panel. What achievement do you think dwmonstrates that someone is competent to lead a large squad?

It's not really that 300g shows that someone is competent to lead a squad, but rather someone that is unable to have 300g probably isn't ready to have one yet even if they are competent.. Either they don't play the game enough, or they're not efficient at farming which happens to be what a lot of people expect from tags.**

Of course there are many people that have lots of gold and don't know what they're doing, but it's a very basic gate. And also consider people tend to overestimte their own abilities so adding a cost may make people take it a little more seriously.

** Note that I'm not referring to people that don't have 300g, but rather see it as a daunting task. Because usually commanding will be even more difficult than that.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would guess that pins were intended for WvW, and the cost was based around an organized group/guild pooling gold for their Commanders to be able to pin up.  Perhaps that is still the intent, if you have a group of people that play together and want you to lead, they can help you buy a pin, if you are a solo player who wants to pin up, you need to earn the gold as a solo player.  I have pins on 2 accounts, as a mostly solo player who bought them so I can occasionally pin up and lead things.  One of my accounts has both the original pin and the Catmander, but that account got the base pin for 100g and the Catmander is only 150g if you already have the other.

I think it's terrible design that what is basic group functionality in basically every other MMO I've ever played is locked behind a 300g purchase in GW2. Makes sense for the map-tag part of it though, don't want everyone and their mother trying to lead.

Edited by Curennos.9307
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

It's not really that 300g shows that someone is competent to lead a squad, but rather someone that is unable to have 300g probably isn't ready to have one yet even if they are competent.. Either they don't play the game enough, or they're not efficient at farming which happens to be what a lot of people expect from tags.**

Of course there are many people that have lots of gold and don't know what they're doing, but it's a very basic gate. And also consider people tend to overestimte their own abilities so adding a cost may make people take it a little more seriously.

** Note that I'm not referring to people that don't have 300g, but rather see it as a daunting task. Because usually commanding will be even more difficult than that.

I was replying to so.eone who seemed to think that achievements were a better indicator that someone was more qualified to lead a squad than having 300g.

26 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I was replying to so.eone who seemed to think that achievements were a better indicator that someone was more qualified to lead a squad than having 300g.

Well, either way it sets a appropriate floor.

You do need to do a thing to get the catmander tag; can't just be bought.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480