Way too long waiting time as last stept of the Tangled Depth meta, why?

Lucy.3728

Hello

While I'm doing the HoT metas with my latest account because of masteries and EXP for them, I'm wondering why I have to wait 9 minutes in front of a wall at the end of the Tangled Depths meta.
Why doesn't the cannon fire when all paths are completed? Or at least one minute of loading time.

I don't even care about the content behind the wall. I'm just waiting for the meta completion experience points.

Anything that needs to wait could wait after the completion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Because the game's been powercrept. If you look back a few years you'll see maps not only finish with a few minutes to spare, but even fail. Now it's pretty much a challenge to fail Gerent.

this^^

1 hour ago, Neferpitouh.4356 said:

You can open chests on all lanes, kill TM, do hero points for extra loot, buy token with chak egg instead of waiting.

anet almost never reworks older content so I doubt anything would change.

and this^^

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

You’re waiting because the cannons have to charge and you’re defending the cannons from the gerent so that they can. I guess the logic is that, even if you kill the gerents early, the cannons still need time to charge. If you fail to kill the gerent in 3 burns, then the cannons get destroyed automatically and the event fails. So the gerents have to die regardless. 

• Like 4

The reason I thought was so that the opening of the wall (and access to the next map - Dragonstand) would coincide with that maps reset for its meta.  Otherwise, if players actually exited, they would get dumped into a map that is about to close.

But I wonder how much of an issue that really is - how many players are actually going to the next map?  And at this point, most players can WP to Dragonstand at any time.  I suppose this sort of makes players wait (so they can get the chests), but as I've said before, I strongly dislike just sitting around waiting and doing nothing - if I have limited time to play, I actually want to be doing something.

But I also agree with posters above that at this point, I don't expect Anet to make any changes - at this point, it is 8 year old content, but one can always hope.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

The reason I thought was so that the opening of the wall (and access to the next map - Dragonstand) would coincide with that maps reset for its meta.  Otherwise, if players actually exited, they would get dumped into a map that is about to close.

Actually, opening of the wall resets Tangled Depths. removing all event-spawned chests, for example, except for those in the corridor beyond the wall. If the wall got opened instantly after killing the Gerents, many people would not have time to gather the chests from each lane. This could push people to do chest opening during the event itself (instead of actually participating in it), causing it to fail.

Now, perhaps the whole event cycle might be redone so wall opening does not act as a map reset, but considering how convoluted the older map scripts seem to be, i can understand why they do not want to take the risk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Neferpitouh.4356 said:

You can open chests on all lanes, kill TM, do hero points for extra loot, buy token with chak egg instead of waiting.

1) not enough of the vials to open many chests

2) i cant see hidden mobs like the tm, also i dont care about that shroom, zero; also not enough mobility and not enough explored

When I was doing that meta with my main account, like 3-4 years ago, I was hopping to Grothmar Vally and doing the Shrine Meta there to fill the time with something. Sometimes I didn't get back on my old map though and would miss the EXP reward.
So, no more hopping either.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Tom.8029 said:

You’re waiting because the cannons have to charge and you’re defending the cannons from the gerent so that they can. I guess the logic is that, even if you kill the gerents early, the cannons still need time to charge.

Yeah, when I complained on map chat I got "the cannon is old" as answer. 🤣

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ah this, when HoT was released this was considered an exceedingly hard meta to complete. I remember creating my first Gen 2 Nevermore and killing Chak gerent was the hardest item for the collection for me back then. Now we have everyone on skyscales and extreme power creep that this is another one of those afk event.

I recently returned to gw2 after 5 years of break (after pof) and everything has become extremely easy including. I remember when fractals used to be tough and running through fractals like t4 cliffside used to be a challenge, now its just rush kill rush kill all fractals except maybe silent surf 100.

• Like 1

11 min waiting time today.

When this cannot be changed/reduced, then maybe, like waiting in the queue of a full wvw map, there can be a sound that I can hear even when the gw client is in the background? So I could do other things. Anything else but starring at the wall.

The meta feels like this to me: 2 min preparation, 2 min beating the Chak black and blue, maybe 2 min helping another lane, 15 min waiting for the end.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:42 PM, Futa.4375 said:

When you take the time to think about it there is a lot of waiting in this game, not only during this meta. Do a meta train and what you will end up doing most of your time is waiting.

Waiting and waiting and waiting and OH kitten it's up, quick tag it before it's dead!

The best is ley line, where it used to be a chase around with a few guys on duty up ahead killing anomalies in advance so he can't absorb them.

Now it's a rush to tag him after the 60 sec pause where he's invuln. Presumably you still get credit from having fought the anomaly essences but I'm not betting an MC that that's the case...

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 5:56 AM, Solvar.7953 said:

But I wonder how much of an issue that really is - how many players are actually going to the next map?  And at this point, most players can WP to Dragonstand at any time.  I suppose this sort of makes players wait (so they can get the chests), but as I've said before, I strongly dislike just sitting around waiting and doing nothing - if I have limited time to play, I actually want to be doing something.

But I also agree with posters above that at this point, I don't expect Anet to make any changes - at this point, it is 8 year old content, but one can always hope.

It was done this way to stop double/triple dipping.   It was a problem dating back to Teq, where if you were really fast, you could hop instances and clear a world boss multiple times within a single event window.  Anything that wasn't on a daily limit would be vulnerable to this.  

But the REAL problem had to do with how people would just hop maps to AVOID having to the do the event, and either AFK or lurk in maps that look like they'll be successful.  The sheer amount of chaos this creates with organization is pretty obvious.  Even on a good day, Chalk meta has a bad enough problem with leeches putting the whole thing at risk for everyone actually trying to do it.    This is why HOT Metas have lock timers, and more aggressive flagging for participation, to force players to be more active in a specific instance of that map, in order to maximize chests at the end. 

Ergo, TD stone walls you until the Reset phase (which prevents you from entering a map), in order to discourage you from trying to map hop for extra chests.   

And just for fun anecdotes, and further show how possible it is for non-capped rewards to be totally broken.....    There was a bug years ago where Guardian Symbols had their tagging broken, causing each symbol to be counted separately instead of as a single flag.  I believe this was the same time they added the 10% damage bonus on symbols to one of the traits.  Ergo, if multiple guards were putting down symbols, you'd get a X*0.1^n damage bonus for EACH guardian.  A bunch of hammer guards were burning Teq down so fast, we almost broke the phase system.  Later that day a bunch of us got organized, and managed to clear 3 Teq Events in a single window, just to see how many we could manage.    

• Like 3