Which weapons would you like to have?

On 1/2/2024 at 9:51 PM, Zenith.7301 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. The new Anet is heavily anti-gods since their favorite little race is Charr and the whole GW2 project is about unity of disparate races and the human gods would be too human centric for their tastes.

Their entire storytelling in GW2 has been about burying GW1's lore by dismissing the past or reframing it for their "modern" take.

AYOO, but why you acting like a separatist though? 🤣

• Thanks 1

Warrior: definitely a 900 range weapon.  Maybe they could get an elite spec with a war fan kit or something like that.

Revenant: rifle, preferably associated with an elite spec attributed to Snaff that uses psychic powers and the elite skill summons Big Snaff.

Guardian: OH mace just to see what Anet would do with it.

Ranger: rifle, again just to see what Anet would do with it.

Engineer: at first I thought dagger, but the posts here suggesting staff seemed more interesting.

Thief: either hammer or dual maces because I want a proper thug option.

Elementalist: at least MH mace if not dual maces.

Mesmer: shortbow, mostly for the possibility of portal shenanigans.

Necromancer: swords that don't feel like you're stabbing yourself with them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Raarsi.6798 said:

One idea I've started throwing around is theming ranger rifle around being a portable seed mortar or the like and giving it a bunch of biologically sourced attacks. Think of something like the ideas behind Tyranid bio-guns from 40k converted into a GW2 context.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:09 PM, Raarsi.6798 said:

Warrior: definitely a 900 range weapon.  Maybe they could get an elite spec with a war fan kit or something like that.

Revenant: rifle, preferably associated with an elite spec attributed to Snaff that uses psychic powers and the elite skill summons Big Snaff.

Engineer: at first I thought dagger, but the posts here suggesting staff seemed more interesting.

guard has main hand mace

• Haha 1

Elementalist: Longbow (arcane/elemental archer)

Mesmer: Shortbow (bard)

Necromancer: Mace (melee condi)

Thief: offhand sword or greatsword (MH style)

Ranger: focus

Engineer: staff

Warrior: shortbow 

Revenant: dagger

Guardian: warhorn 

• Like 3

Warrior: MH pistol with 900 range, AOE fury, AOE might, a ground targeted field that isn't light or fire, and a blast finisher.

Ele: A proper 1200 range DPS weapon.

Necro: OH pistol

Guardian: Warhorn

Ranger: honestly due for a new ranged weapon, Rifle or MH pistol.

Mesmer: Mace, cause Moot. Flavor choice.

Rev: MH Axe or OH Mace.

Engi: ... Do you want more projectiles, or shall we go with daggers this time?

Thief: Greatsword. I'm feeling the 2h Ninja gameplay here.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Longbow for Necro is a long term fantasy of mine.
I fail to understand why the most tribal scholar spec got a pistol of all things yet bows remain untouched.

I wouldn't say that it's the only thing odd in this game.

I mean, I've always found odd that elementalist as one of the low health profession somehow rely a lot on aura which is a mechanism that reward being struck by your foes. On another hand, necromancer don't really delve into auras despite having potentially the biggest health pool of the game and a defensive philosophy revolving a lot on tanking hits.

On one side you have a profession that develop magic around something it's weak at and on the other side you have a profession that totally ignore a magic from which it's very philosophy make it bound to gain a lot from. GW2 in a nutshell... Come on, it's been 11 years (and I don't know how many decades in game), tyria is unbelievably vast and, yet, there isn't even a single necromancer NPC that thought of expoiting the greatest strength of it's profession through aura? Not even 1 that take inspiration from the foolish elementalist that drown themselve in aura despite being terribly illsuited for the mechanism.

Each time I look at this game with "reason", it hurt my mind. How is it possible for those magic "scholar" to always evolve their magic throught the worst path possible? How is it even possible for those path of magic to prevail over options that fully make use of the strenghts of the various professions? I thought "guild wars" (In the lore, it refer to wars between various school of magic) existed to seed out the wrong/weak paths of magic...

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I mean, I've always found odd that elementalist as one of the low health profession somehow rely a lot on aura which is a mechanism that reward being struck by your foes. On another hand, necromancer don't really delve into auras despite having potentially the biggest health pool of the game and a defensive philosophy revolving a lot on tanking hits.

On one side you have a profession that develop magic around something it's weak at and on the other side you have a profession that totally ignore a magic from which it's very philosophy make it bound to gain a lot from. GW2 in a nutshell... Come on, it's been 11 years (and I don't know how many decades in game), tyria is unbelievably vast and, yet, there isn't even a single necromancer NPC that thought of expoiting the greatest strength of it's profession through aura? Not even 1 that take inspiration from the foolish elementalist that drown themselve in aura despite being terribly illsuited for the mechanism.

Each time I look at this game with "reason", it hurt my mind. How is it possible for those magic "scholar" to always evolve their magic throught the worst path possible? How is it even possible for those path of magic to prevail over options that fully make use of the strenghts of the various professions? I thought "guild wars" (In the lore, it refer to wars between various school of magic) existed to seed out the wrong/weak paths of magic...

In defense of Tyrian necros one of them embraced the forgotten art of blocking (Necro NPC in pvp lobby).
There were not enough voice cords in my body to scream out "Oh that's kitten!" when he started blocking my hits!

• Haha 1

i like playing archers, gw2 has some of the coolest takes on em in a genre that traditionally leaves them as extremely bland and neglected. there's always a guaranteed ranger/hunter/whatever, and it's always really boring and nobody cares

put more shortbows and longbows on everyone

1 hour ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

In defense of Tyrian necros one of them embraced the forgotten art of blocking (Necro NPC in pvp lobby).
There were not enough voice cords in my body to scream out "Oh that's kitten!" when he started blocking my hits!

A necromancer blocking attacks... Preposterous!...

13 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

It's because elementalist is built around dealing with their low health by reducing the incoming damage and then outhealing it. 3/4 elemental auras contribute to the first even without traits, and when you add traits to the picture auras can significantly add to both.

The elementalist mindset isn't entirely 'never be hit', there's also a significant amount of 'dampen the hit'. The low health is what makes them actually be killable despite being able to cut incoming damage by roughly half and self-healing faster than pretty much anything that isn't a dedicated healer.

I've always wanted a mesmer with a longbow or shortbow. 
Necro: off-hand axe.
Elementalist: longbow.
Guardian: warhorn.
Revenant: main-hand axe.
Thief: off-hand sword or focus
Ranger: an off-hand sword, to block an enemy or creep up and stun them.
Engineer: torch or focus.
Warrior: on-land spear or trident. In some way, trident could have been an awesome offensive support weapon. Spear would have been nice too to block enemies, throw it to impair enemies' movement, or crowd control. 

9 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Blasphemy! What will they do next have stunbreaks?

Well... It doesn't seem outlandish for a necromancer character...

You could have gone with the overpowered option "Stealth" or the funny option "Leap finisher while out of shroud", thought. You could have even suggested something like "reflect" or "skills with evade frame". Or, if you feel a bit daring, there are also the conditions "slow" and "taunt" or the simple yet effective "invuln frame".

5 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Well... It doesn't seem outlandish for a necromancer character...

You could have gone with the overpowered option "Stealth" or the funny option "Leap finisher while out of shroud", thought. You could have even suggested something like "reflect" or "skills with evade frame". Or, if you feel a bit daring, there are also the conditions "slow" and "taunt" or the simple yet effective "invuln frame".

I know, but the reference to stunlocked necros was too hard to pass up.

On 1/20/2024 at 12:18 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Tell that to the stunlocked necros that eat my Fierce Blows...

I think the problem is that something that's only a stunbreak and doesn't provide stability or mobility is often only effective as a stunbreak for a fraction of a second...

On 1/13/2024 at 11:09 AM, Raarsi.6798 said:

I have one rule for myself: 

No RP characters from fighting games.

But I can think of one specific lady kombatant who this weapon would suit perfectly.

Could be interesting. 

Though, I think the devs want to keep rev dedicated mostly to CQC.

You mean off-hand mace... a very fitting weapon indeed.

It's one of those situations you keep asking why is this not a thing yet!?

I think you're right first time around. 

Engineer definitely needs another off-hand weapon.

Mace as a baseball bat.

Not sure about this one. 

I long so much for a Great Sword or a Long Bow for these guys.

Again.

Could be interesting. 

I want a main hand pistol so much though.

Yeah. 

Basically daggers, but longer at the moment.

This... "self harm" thing on necros...

Try harbinger elixirs with daggers. You won't need to fight anybody. The character will die before the enemy even reaches you.

You'll get people laughing like crazy in wvw.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I have one rule for myself: 

No RP characters from fighting games.

But I can think of one specific lady kombatant who this weapon would suit perfectly.

Weaponized hand fans were/are a real thing though. But those were melee tools and (as far as I know) mostly used for self-defence.

15 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

You mean off-hand mace.

What else did you think OH stands for?

51 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

It's one of those situations you keep asking why is this not a thing yet!?

Because ArenaNet uses the "nature versus technology" conflict as a subtheme. There are ways around this, though - plant gun skins exist, theme the skills more around being like how ranger speargun works but above water instead of being a conventional firearm.

51 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Mace as a baseball bat.

Bar maces could also be interesting as for how thief might approach mace. Not every blunt weapon needs to be something massively top-heavy.

Personally, though, I think thief does need a new offhand.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 10:15 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

Weaponized hand fans were/are a real thing though. But those were melee tools and (as far as I know) mostly used for self-defence.

Well, The lady kombatant I was referring to is Kitana from Mortal Kombat.

She uses bladed fans as her main weapons.

But, this could possibly even be a skin for daggers.

Actually, I think I've seen something like that in Gem Store?

On 1/21/2024 at 10:15 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

What else did you think OH stands for?

It was a rhetorical question, hehe... as people do.