"There are few players remaining on this map"

This popup comes up far too often and it's honestly getting obnoxious. I know GW2 had an engine update to DX11, does anyone know if any engine upgrades are in the pipeline that might mitigate or even get rid of this instanced map nonsense?

What was even the point of mega-servers if we have to be split onto different maps and be taxi'ed around constantly?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 1

The point of megaservers is for you to have players to play with. The point of swapping instances is so you can join those players. The point of closing instances after certain amount of players leave is to put those remaining players in the same instance so, again, they have other players to play with.

The point of megaservers probably was not to put everyone from every server in the same place at once.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

consecutive message of the map closing is very easily explained by how map instancing works. 

This happens usually on maps that have a meta-event going on that is on a fixed timer. So before the event, a lot of instances get created (since people are either gathering up beforehand, or join the map roughly around the starting time or shortly after). 

BUT: for obvious reasons, the speed the event on each of the instances progresses with is different for each map. So if you happen to be on one of the "faster" maps, people leave after it´s finished, while on other maps it´s still ongoing. So you get moved to one of the instances where people are either still doing it, or have not left the map yet. 

so you just happen to get moved from closing map to closing map until most of the articifially created instances (due to people doing the meta) have been closed. 

I´m sure, if you would wait a few minutes before swapping instances, you would most likely get only one "hop", potentially even no additional instances until you arrive at the "bottom layer"

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Custodio.6134 said:

consecutive message of the map closing is very easily explained by how map instancing works. 

This happens usually on maps that have a meta-event going on that is on a fixed timer. So before the event, a lot of instances get created (since people are either gathering up beforehand, or join the map roughly around the starting time or shortly after). 

BUT: for obvious reasons, the speed the event on each of the instances progresses with is different for each map. So if you happen to be on one of the "faster" maps, people leave after it´s finished, while on other maps it´s still ongoing. So you get moved to one of the instances where people are either still doing it, or have not left the map yet. 

so you just happen to get moved from closing map to closing map until most of the articifially created instances (due to people doing the meta) have been closed. 

I´m sure, if you would wait a few minutes before swapping instances, you would most likely get only one "hop", potentially even no additional instances until you arrive at the "bottom layer"

Explaining how it all works behind the scenes doesn't make it any less annoying from a players perspective. Players universally want smooth and uninterupted gameplay. To have to go  through a load screen on a map you already loaded into 5 minutes ago is dumb and annoying and the gameplay would be better if it were seamless and not noticeable to the untrained eye.

• Like 2
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Explaining how it all works behind the scenes doesn't make it any less annoying from a players perspective. Players universally want smooth and uninterupted gameplay. To have to go  through a load screen on a map you already loaded into 5 minutes ago is dumb and annoying and the gameplay would be better if it were seamless and not noticeable to the untrained eye.

There hasn't been any word from them on whether or not they're working on this sort of technology. In the meantime, I'll just join when I see that pop up if I think I might benefit from having more players around me. If what I'm doing is indifferent (or easier) to whether or not there's more players, then I'll ignore it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

You don't have to, you can stay on the map for about an hour or whatever the timer for the swap is. If the pop up when you're wping around the map is annoying then I agree that they could add some checkbox to "not remind you about it on this map anymore", since you can always use to icon on the right side of the screen if you'll want to change the instance.

Other than that, as far as we know the system does what it was designed to do and moving players -or giving them opportunity to move- out of deserted instances looks like a good thing to do.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I agree that they could add some checkbox to "not remind you about it on this map anymore", since you can always use to icon on the right side of the screen if you'll want to change the instance.

On mine it has a button about doing that later: this changes the popup to a "door to leave instance" icon on the right side of the screen.

I don't know of any way to change instance otherwise. In my memory, there used to be an icon like the levels of a city, and you could pick a different level, to change instance. But I don't seem to have anything like that anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

just a reminder, usually don't leave a map while in the middle of an event or event chain, because the new map will typically have a different progression, and you may lose rewards. Wait until the event or meta is over, then change. Unless you're struggling in the event or meta from not enough people.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

2 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

There hasn't been any word from them on whether or not they're working on this sort of technology. In the meantime, I'll just join when I see that pop up if I think I might benefit from having more players around me. If what I'm doing is indifferent (or easier) to whether or not there's more players, then I'll ignore it.

"Universally - by everyone; in every case..." Definition by Oxford Languages
Really OP? You actually think you can speak for every single player in the game? Sorry, but you actually don't speak for me. Those pop ups don't bother me at all. I react like @Kiki.9450 does. If it would be helpful to be on a map with more folks, I'll switch. If not, I'll just ignore it. And that's not a big deal in my mind. It's just a normal part of GW2 gameplay to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

"Universally - by everyone; in every case..." Definition by Oxford Languages
Really OP? You actually think you can speak for every single player in the game? Sorry, but you actually don't speak for me. Those pop ups don't bother me at all. I react like @Kiki.9450 does. If it would be helpful to be on a map with more folks, I'll switch. If not, I'll just ignore it. And that's not a big deal in my mind. It's just a normal part of GW2 gameplay to me.

That's how I get my "smooth and uninterrupted gameplay." :)

• Like 2

Really?  So much gaslighting in this thread.

OP, that pop-up is indeed annoying to many of us.  To claim that is does not interfere with immersion is just false, even if you're not that bothered by it.  It's unfortunately a 'feature' that seems unlikely to change.  But don't fall for the confused emojis.   Again, it's just gaslighting.   While the pop-ups of course serve a purpose, they are overly hair-triggered and yes, annoying.  Your point is valid.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12

I think they could improve the map closing to take meta progress into account. Verdant Brink in particular on multiple occasions I have got the message about map closing due to low players then when I move the new map seems no better but more importantly is much further behind on the meta progress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PepeLePewPew.2107 said:

Really?  So much gaslighting in this thread.

OP, that pop-up is indeed annoying to many of us.  To claim that is does not interfere with immersion is just false, even if you're not that bothered by it.  It's unfortunately a 'feature' that seems unlikely to change.  But don't fall for the confused emojis.   Again, it's just gaslighting.   While the pop-ups of course serve a purpose, they are overly hair-triggered and yes, annoying.  Your point is valid.  

"Gaslighting is a colloquialism, loosely defined as manipulating someone into questioning their own perception of reality." - Wikipedia

roflmao - So, if I say I disagree with the OP and don't have the same negative reaction to something that they do, then I am manipulating them into questioning their own perception of reality? Really?  Somehow I suspect that the OP is not that easily manipulated. At least I hope not!

Oops, did I just gaslight PepeLePewPew into questioning their own perception of reality???   🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The point of megaservers is for you to have players to play with. The point of swapping instances is so you can join those players. The point of closing instances after certain amount of players leave is to put those remaining players in the same instance so, again, they have other players to play with.

The point of megaservers probably was not to put everyone from every server in the same place at once.

Except this isn't how it works in practice. I've literally had it come up mid-meta and if I accept the prompt, 90% of the time the map I'm moved to is less populated and the meta hasn't even started or has failed. They need to update the code to funnel players to the servers with the active metas and make sure this is actually what's happening. I have a suspicion there's a piece of this code that's used to clean up old maps, population be damned and it's messed up at least a few metas for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Really OP? You actually think you can speak for every single player in the game? Sorry, but you actually don't speak for me. Those pop ups don't bother me at all.

Yes, really. I do think most players these days see extra loading screens as antiquidated. Look at any review for The Sims 4, or more recently Starfield. Expectations from gamers is changing. GW2 is coming up to 12 years old now and these extra load screens go a long way in showing it's age. You already need to go through a loading screen between each and every map. To have extra loading screens on top of that is just going to turn off some new players.

Nobody likes loading screens, NOBODY. I can make that statement with confidence. And so the less we as players are interrupted by loading screens, the better.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 2
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Really, I do think most players these days see extra loading screens as antiquidated. Look at any review for The Sims 4, or more recently Starfield. Expectations from gamers is changing. GW2 is coming up to 12 years old now and these extra load screens go a long way in showing it's age. You already need to go through a loading screen between each and every map. To have extra loading screens on top of that is just going to turn off some new players.

Nobody likes loading screens, NOBODY. I can make that statement with confidence. And so the less we as players are interrupted by loading screens, the better.

lol - Well, you got me this time. You can speak for me on this one, OP. I don't like loading screens.  😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Dead maps give players more opportunity to solo on them.  /shrug

"More loading screens in my MMO is good because it means I don't have to play with others"

Why are we playing an MMO?

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

If all the threads you make about this game are only complaints, then why are you still playing this game?

No seriously, this is like the 3rd thread you recently made where you only complain about the game.

And everytime all I see is "nah I'm right everyone else is bad". People explain things to you and yet you choose to ignore it and find excuses each time. I'm already expecting to see another thread with another complaint with your name on it next week.

Edited by Crono.4197
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

If all the threads you make about this game are only complaints, then why are you still playing this game?

No seriously, this is like the 3rd thread you recently made where you only complain about the game.

And everytime all I see is "nah I'm right everyone else is bad". People explain things to you and yet you choose to ignore it and find excuses each time. I'm already expecting to see another thread with another complaint with your name on it next week.

The GW2 community cannot stand for feedback about the game, that much is clear. They're even opposed to less loading screens, which I didn't expect. But then again maybe I should have expected that?

And once again you want to turn the thread upside down and make it about ME, because you're obsessed with shooting the messenger all the time and trying to antagonize constantly. I just can't with this forum..

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Except this isn't how it works in practice. I've literally had it come up mid-meta and if I accept the prompt, 90% of the time the map I'm moved to is less populated and the meta hasn't even started or has failed. They need to update the code to funnel players to the servers with the active metas and make sure this is actually what's happening. I have a suspicion there's a piece of this code that's used to clean up old maps, population be damned and it's messed up at least a few metas for me. 

It is how it works in practice, even if you happen to have occasional situations where it worked badly. In that case, try making a thread in bug reports subforum, because what you're describing here -even if I'm aware it indeed can occasionally happen- isn't how it usually works.
90% of the time you're moved into less populated map? Doubt.
Could it be improved? Sure and I don't have much against that.

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

The GW2 community cannot stand for feedback about the game, that much is clear. They're even opposed to less loading screens, which I didn't expect. But then again maybe I should have expected that?

And once again you want to turn the thread upside down and make it about ME, because you're obsessed with shooting the messenger all the time and trying to antagonize constantly. I just can't with this forum..

I think gw2 community can stand well thought out feedback. You're questioning "why this is a thing", get that question asnwered and now you flip into baseless "woah, this community loves loading screens!". That's a one weird attempt to cope with disagreement.
How about describing it for what it most probably is, so: people don't like playing in empty instances (so they're ok with instance swapping to the more populate ones) and they don't want 500 players in the same place at the same time, either for gameplay or performance reasons (so they're ok with several instances of the same map existing)?

It's as if you asked "why do we even have traffic lights?", got the obvious answer "it's to avoid collisions" and you'd subsequently flip into "wow, so people claim they love standing on red lights, what a weird community!" 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

The GW2 community handles feedback about the game just fine... and dishes it out just fine too for that matter. But many of us aren't so deranged as to think that "rebuilding the game so that loading screens aren't a thing anymore" (hint: that's a lot of work for a twelve-year-old game) isn't equated to "we love loading screens! GEEF MOAR LOADING SCREENS PLZZZZZZZZ I WANT TO WAIT 4EVAR!!!"

There's a huge difference between things like "we don't like how Research Notes work" and "we don't like that you balance against top performing benchmarks only" versus "can you just rebuild the whole engine because the game does a thing I don't like?" or "I'm bored now, make GW3 already."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Kiki.9450 said:

The GW2 community handles feedback about the game just fine... and dishes it out just fine too for that matter. But many of us aren't so deranged as to think that "rebuilding the game so that loading screens aren't a thing anymore" (hint: that's a lot of work for a twelve-year-old game) isn't equated to "we love loading screens! GEEF MOAR LOADING SCREENS PLZZZZZZZZ I WANT TO WAIT 4EVAR!!!"

There's a huge difference between things like "we don't like how Research Notes work" and "we don't like that you balance against top performing benchmarks only" versus "can you just rebuild the whole engine because the game does a thing I don't like?" or "I'm bored now, make GW3 already."

Finally. I think you're the first person who said anything about it not being technically possible. Almost every response in this thread has been contrary in nature and tried to make the argument that the loading screens are a preferred thing (from a gameplay perspective).

+1 for calling me deranged, though. I'm making a list of all the things I get called here for giving feedback.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1