What is up with this skill lag?

Jtoon.6907

I think if it was consistent we could blame more players on all sides. If it was just single players in a group I think we could claim it was region or connection paths. Since it seems at times to not follow those paths I thinks its a number of issues and those related to third party sites. Security position filled when??

I have a theory that the skill and server lag is worse than ever because of Berserker scorched earth and Holo prime light beam. If I remember correctly, 10 man target skills had to be nerfed down to 5 because of server calls that were slowing down everything. That's essentially what scorched earth and prime light beam are doing as well since their target max is something like 25. Take this post for what it's worth, but the server lag significantly worsened right around the same time zerkers and holos became meta for DPS.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chiral.8915 said:

I have a theory that the skill and server lag is worse than ever because of Berserker scorched earth and Holo prime light beam. If I remember correctly, 10 man target skills had to be nerfed down to 5 because of server calls that were slowing down everything. That's essentially what scorched earth and prime light beam are doing as well since their target max is something like 25. Take this post for what it's worth, but the server lag significantly worsened right around the same time zerkers and holos became meta for DPS.

No,  as it turns out there is too many Support Chronos in the current meta, so capping those in squads /nerfing should help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the lag is called Arenanet, expect game to get worse  with more spam happening and more zergs.

On 1/23/2024 at 4:49 PM, RisingDawn.5796 said:

No,  as it turns out there is too many Support Chronos in the current meta, so capping those in squads /nerfing should help.

when the chrono bomb happens...  130 fps to 8-16 fps :D  valid tactic since theres skill that can be spammed to reduce performance of the enemy gw2 client lol..

Edit: Arenanet only touches those skills when every one starts doing it as meta, if some guilds/groups are leeching like kitten bags but only a few groups do it Anet allows it.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2024 at 8:29 AM, Aeolus.3615 said:

the lag is called Arenanet, expect game to get worse  with more spam happening and more zergs.

when the chrono bomb happens...  130 fps to 8-16 fps 😄 valid tactic since theres skill that can be spammed to reduce performance of the enemy gw2 client lol..

Edit: Arenanet only touches those skills when every one starts doing it as meta, if some guilds/groups are leeching like kitten bags but only a few groups do it Anet allows it.

It's great and no one will be punished. They just accidentally decided to stack their roster with it. Clearly not intentional.

there is nothing such as "skill lag". this term was invented by community to describe something they didnt understand.

for real its only happening that the skill queue is running full and new skills casted during this cant be queued then. Thats why some players can still cast sometimes and others not, the one who can cast just catched the next free queue slot for their skill the others are pressing into a full queue so the skill buttons dont work and it looks like "lag".

there was a time when that happened arcdps gave a queue error message because of that one could literally see that there was a queue overload.

anet tried to solve it with cutting down player numbers per map in the past and called it "test". that was never solved so far and they never gave another update to this. so the "test" is still running after 3,5 years....

Edited by SlateSloan.3654
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, SlateSloan.3654 said:

there is nothing such as "skill lag". this term was invented by community to describe something they didnt understand

I think most of us are aware that it's causing "skill lag" for everyone so it's not something one group can inflict solely on another. But it's like chess, white has an advantage once you reach a high level of play. You go first, you have an advantage. In GW2 if you know what you are about to do you get your stuff out first, trigger the queue.

Thankfully I haven't had to make hard choices about avoiding playing with groups on my alliance, nobody seems to be using it from who I have played with but a couple of nights so far in this beta I've seen opposing zerg rosters stacked with a couple specific professions and any time we engaged them we got our skills buffering and not registering.

And really the way the engine works just highlights another reason for the need to move on with a new, fresh Guild Wars to make the trilogy.

Edited by Leger.3724

2 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

It's great and no one will be punished. They just accidentally decided to stack their roster with it. Clearly not intentional.

Not intencional at all, players just felt forced to add more aoe minstrell chronos due how Anet have been nerfing boon strips.... not intentional. :) just a natural response from player side due the dumbcrap of balance this guys do.

In WvW seams Anet only wants things to work in  zerg if lags or makes a tool in the fps the better Anet likes players dying to the zerg doing the lag,  anyway players should not even be fighting each other in 1st place ... wvw is corner stone PVE. :)

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

is Skill lag a form of Balance ?

it's a buff to the zerg :)  most of us been in 2 sides of the sotry, sometimes is the enemy that gets bomb lagged sometimes it's the other way.

Zergometer = auto detection of enemy zerg by just looking at the fps counter :D time to bail.

I would really like to see another response from ArenaNet on this. Just now we cancelled a public raid because of the skill queue being full again. Seems to happen when there are around 130 players in the same area. Can't cast skills. They don't even start to blink like it is trying to cast but there is lag, no. You can't even put skills into queue. And the tactics that depend on skill casting duration (like continuum split for example) are completely out of the window, and whoever bonks hardest with instant cast / multi hit skills wins. 

A lot of people on voice chat said that they are not coming back before the update, and than they will see if WvW is playable. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Melian.5368 said:

A lot of people on voice chat said that they are not coming back before the update, and than they will see if WvW is playable. 

Can vouch for this, heard this alot aswell in the past weeks. The lag is just horrible 😞

The meta wouldn't actually be so bad, and could be fun - if the servers could actually handle it. A developer response would be nice, a fix even better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eveliien.7619 said:

Can vouch for this, heard this alot aswell in the past weeks. The lag is just horrible 😞

The meta wouldn't actually be so bad, and could be fun - if the servers could actually handle it. A developer response would be nice, a fix even better.

They will adress this by adding more boons to and spam to the game.. that always how Anet have adressed game performance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

They wont acknowledge anything or respond to this. There has been a thread by Anet about Skill Lag from 2020 ->

There has not been a single response from Anet about the issue since then.  We just have to face it, the cornerstone gamemode is just the neglected step-child.

• Haha 1

Lags in WvW? I guess necromancers will have another round of nerfs to their ability to generate minions.

• "Rise!" will be reworked to "I am death!" (it's convenient, the audio file already exist, just need to remove "incarnate" from the "I am Death incarnate" chatter that core necro shout when entering shroud) and will provide some base protection (4s) and additional amount of protection (1s) for each foe struck instead of summoning shambling horrors.
  • Death Nova will no longer create Jagged horror upon killing a foe when the trait is equiped in WvW only.
  • Confused 3

22 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Lags in WvW? I guess necromancers will have another round of nerfs to their ability to generate minions.

• "Rise!" will be reworked to "I am death!" (it's convenient, the audio file already exist, just need to remove "incarnate" from the "I am Death incarnate" chatter that core necro shout when entering shroud) and will provide some base protection (4s) and additional amount of protection (1s) for each foe struck instead of summoning shambling horrors.
  • Death Nova will no longer create Jagged horror upon killing a foe when the trait is equiped in WvW only.

Anet needs just to kill the Scourge issue, rebuild Scourge to be an offensive minion master pvp able and problem gets fixed :) minions will atack what Scourge is atacking like a  a team call spike and give them decent range minions like the ones we have in gw1.

Many players didnt knew about the rise issue and many still dont know what groups were doing to win by lagging the adversaries.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

1 hour ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

Anet needs just to kill the Scourge issue, rebuild Scourge to be an offensive minion master pvp able and problem gets fixed 🙂 minions will atack what Scourge is atacking like a  a team call spike and give them decent range minions like the ones we have in gw1.

That would make WvW skill lag worse thought.

7 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

That would make WvW skill lag worse thought.

IDK minions per se i dont  recall them laggin the enemy alone if i recall it is the skills that envolves minions that creates the DoS effect

About the  lag i m8 be wrong tho and the sprite and shaders of minions also matters reason in  gw1 we had sometimes 10minon x 4-5 Minionmancers on each side of AB sometimes each side the party was almost composed by necros MM with a huge horde of minions was actually fun) u had like 40-50 minions on map  per team i reccall even when MM had no limit of minons ceach necro could hold arround 18 to 21 minions , the problem is that Gw2 is designed  towards blob spam over personal skill and that is how gw2 skins itself on awfull balance and values.

Just fork gw1 minions and that alone would be a massive upgrade to gw2 necromancer lol...put the scourge build with barrier and condi management for the team onffensively.

The issue with the lag is blobs minstrells and spam all perma boons, what Anet wants to excell is the problem...

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 1