Synergetics Jackal Feedback

The Jackal is my favorite mount. I use it over others as much as possible. The Synergetics line of mount skins are some of my favorites and I have been waiting for a Jackal variant for some time and was excited when I saw it in the store when I logged in today. Unfortunately today's release is a bit disappointing. It seems to lack much of the technological detail of the others. I am afraid that I will have to pass.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Synergetics skimmer and beetle are in their own class, but jackal skin seems to be really similar in style to skyscale. Skyscale might look better because of the wings, maybe jackal looks more minimalistic because of no bulk and a rather simple head design.

I was close to getting skimmer and beetle skins, but in the end they don't fit any of my characters, so I guess I don't care about this skin line either way. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758

looks good to me. The Skimmer becomes a vehicle, so it has all that extra "technology." The Beetle simply turns into a wheel and the Skyscale is a robot, as is the Jackal, so there are no additional "technological details" other than the extra shine.

I'm more surprised that they released a Jackal instead of a Turtle, and while I would love to have it, I don't have any gold and I won't give anet any more money.

2 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

I was hoping for a teleporting motorcycle

2 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I'm still hoping for a hover tank turtle skin

they have to respect and take into account the mounts' rigging, at least at some degree.

A hover tank for the Turtle will work great and make sense because all they have to do is to hide and "ignore" the legs and tail just like the Skimmer ignores the Tail. A bike for the Jackal wouldn't make sense 'cuz what kind of "bike" would move like that?

• Like 3

I have dyed the jackal on two alts.  Of note, the color you pick for the energy affects the body plating, or at least its brightness.  Using an Abyssal dye on the energy deeply darkens whatever hue you have in the main body.  And the dye channel for the back of the head and the throat/belly is difficult to make stand out, so it tends to just add some gradient to the body.  The energy color gets put in the bamf, which isn't just a sand cloud but has little lightning threads in it.  The translucent plates are also a little hard to dye, but mostly as a matter of taste -- I like a rich luminosity (a shimmering star field, eg) rather than a dyed-plastic look, and they're a fairly large feature that goes a bit neon on most dyes.

I think it's a fine skin.  I'm not instantly trying to put it on every possible alt like with some skins (Kintsugi raptor, for instance, or Moth skyscale or Synergetics skimmer).  But I'm happy to have it.

• Like 3

Yeah I'm not jazzed about a 20USD robo dog. It looks fine but in my opinion should not have been in the Synergetics line. I mean goodness, we have the Primal Spirit looking incredibly different from the jackal. Something other than a robo dog would have been awesome and would fit the original two Synergetics theme far better. Again, the robo dog is fine and all but I think it really should have been in another line. The Synergetics line now has half the mounts looking like an entirely different line of skins from the other half.

I'd been hoping for a long time now for a Synergetics jackal replacement because the jackal itself just isn't my thing at all. Oh well. I guess I'll keep hoping that one day there will be a jackal I enjoy.

• Confused 1

To those saying "Oh, but the rigging", they could have at least gotten creative with the design. Take the head and tail off or something. Make it really look like it was designed as a vehicle first, rather than just a robot jackal.

I get that some of the animations don't work for a motorcycle, but they should be able to disable some of the animations. Get rid of all the idle animations that remind you that it's alive and call it like a "swoop bike" or something so that the side to side "running" animation makes sense.

Or, and here's an awesome thought that *shouldn't* be crazy but somehow is for this team, STOP STAYING LOCKED IN WITH THE FECKING ANIMATIONS!

Give us some new stuff with new animations. We're spending real money on this shite, put in a little more effort.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Finally got around to using this mount, so my thoughts come a bit late.

Things I love:

• It's like the Synergetics Skyscale - a robo-animal (I realise some folks would have preferred something more akin to an actual vehicle though)
  • The faded/chipped paint appearance, similar to the Skyscale
  • The sound effects

Things that are ok:

• The Blink effect (was hoping for something 'techy' rather than lightning, but it's not a bad effect at least)
  • The effects when mounting, dismounting, or running are more subtle than those used by the Skyscale 

Things that I don't love:

• How some of the "energy" dyes much brighter in some parts than others (it's uniform on the Skyscale, but here it's less saturated on the shoulder, but very bright inside the body)
  • That it does the fox "pounce" animation instead of the howl animation (the fox animation seems odd as the chest stretches in a way that I find very obvious on this mechanical "creature" that isn't so noticeable on a furry one... and I imagine the howl could have been quite lovely if it did one, judging by the other sound effects)

Overall, I'm happy to have added it to my collection, but I understand why some view it as the weakest addition to the Synergetics mounts line. Hoping for the Siege Turtle next, and hoping for some real excellence there. So much potential with that design! Personally hoping the Siege Turtle leans more toward vehicle rather than robot, and I think the control of that mount would lend itself well to a sort of UFO-ish or hovercraft-like design, similar to how the Skimmer looks and feels.

Edit: To clarify what I mean above by a 'techy' effect, notice the effect that moves over the Skyscale's wings. Something like that was what I had in mind before I did my first Blink. Again, I just find the lightning 'whelming' lol

Edited by Kiki.9450
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1