Proposed LFG System

The current LFG has many issues:

1. To many categories and subcategories
  2. Dead categories (completely empty or 1-2 posts)
  3. Maybe hard to find something for new players

In this image https://ibb.co/2KjbBwJ I propose a simple UI as this:

1. General: Core Tyria, World Bosses, Festivals, PvP and WvW
  2. Expansions: all of them listed in order
  3. Living World: all of them listed in order
  4. Instanced Content: all of them in order

I know that here will be an argument that it will be hard to combine all posts from all maps of an Expansion or Living World Season, but what if you let the post owners to include some tags, like map names itself? Image here: https://ibb.co/Ykd4Yty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I don't understand what this picture solves. You're changing a whole bunch of options in a list into a whole lot of options in a grid. Is the selling point that you're condensing  groups, like all of LWS3, into 1 item, instead of 6?

I agree that the existing LFG is a bit hard to use. I actually would like it a lot better if each LWS wasn't broken down into individual maps. But only if the actual groups were somehow forced to indicate which map / dungeon / whatever they were for. I'd hate to go into the Dungeons category and see "Story Mode, watching all cutscenes" and have no idea which dungeon the group was forming for. Maybe require a dropdown menu for groups to identify which map / dungeon / whatever they're doing, with exactly the same options as the sub-categories that we have right now. Then all groups are shown with clearly identified content goals, without LFGers having to click down to that specific sub-category?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think 2 and 3 could be merged and just be Open-world PvE and then come in the sequence of release. It would help people to see where things happen chronologically. Delete the WvW section completely off the LFG, it literally does nothing as you can only play with people from your server, which you gather from WvW anyway making the section superfluous.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tinstinni.6357 said:

1. To many categories and subcategories

I don't really agree -if anything I'd play more into "categories and subcategories", as mentioned in the last thread about it:

I'd rather see more categories, except they'd be the type of collective ones of the current subcategories.
For example any group in current individual dungeon category would also show up in general "dungeons" major category. That one especially makes sense to me, considering the currency merge they did a while ago, but there are other that could use that treatment, including general OW metas.
Doing it the other way -like adding subcategories for raids/strikes, for one- could also be helpful for players looking for a particular "clear". That said, those "subcategory squads" would still need to show up in the main collective category at the same time so we can have the best of both worlds.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don't mind the amount of categories, they are mostly useful.

What I would like is to be able to tick several categories and they are all listed on the right. With a separator. For example I would tick strikes and raids and could see all of them. And they re-open after I open and close the LFG.  There could even be a setting of your default view when you open LFG. For example: re-open last selection / current map / pre-set, favourite selection / blank.

Also we have groups and subgroups. Like LS4 is a group and Jahaii Bluffs is a subgroup. If I tick LS4, I would see all the subgroup postings from all maps in LS4. But I can still tick just a specific map.

And a keybind that opens/closes LFG directly. Not Contacts or whatever is the current frame that you have to navigate further. I hate clicking, soooo slow, must keybind. Having all these it would be really easy to just check for your favourite activities quickly with a press of a button, while playing.

And last proposal that is of a different nature. If I'm commander (or even just the one posting LFG) and I post LFG group, when I leave squad it should either automatically remove group from LFG or better ask me if I want to remove the LFG post. Because if you just leave, there is a chance it becomes a dead squad posting on the LFG. If someone goes offline while in squad or just doesn't leave, that posting just stays there while everyone else already left and activity is already over.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Know what I find a little odd about the LFG in GW2? The search bar. It works, of course, but only if you select a category first. Figured if I don't select a category, then type in, say, "Shiverpeaks" into the search bar, it'd search all categories for "Shiverpeaks" whatever. Only if I then click on Strikes do I get any results (Shiverpeaks Pass of course).

Also, no keybind for the LFG is wierd I think, but that was already mentioned above by Cuks.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I would like a looking for group menu that automatically blocks the use of abbreviations and especially acronyms

I don't understand this idea at all. You subjectively dislike some words or abbreviations so they should be automatically censored for everyone?

I am getting older and crankier, so I expect to read clear text with a respect towards grammar and sentence structure

kthxbye

Ok, stop confusing me.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I would like a looking for group menu that automatically blocks the use of abbreviations and especially acronyms. I am getting older and crankier, so I expect to read clear text with a respect towards grammar and sentence structure

kthxbye

We can try this in the "Training LFG" , so the Experianced Tab is not affected .

Or create a "tree' command option style :

Click the  [LFG] icon : 1) Choose Dungeon

2) Choose Raids

a) "Continue to be listed in a random Dungeon >>get 10 gold

b) Put more parameters - specify specific dungeon >> get 6 gold 

/ additional choose boons needed >>- 6gold

LI requirements >> go in Experienced Tab

It will be like "search" and the system will show  groups that are listed like you in the 2-a categorie or 2-b.

Raid sellers will keep beeing in the  Expirianced tab , like now

(brb for a while , people are doing a fine job to be liked . I dont have to do anything:P)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

One obvious improvement would be to make it so that you can see everything in a category without having to select a sub category. So, let the user see all of the LFG for Heart Of Thorns when the click on it. Have the sub category as a column in the list of parties/squads. Let the user still filter further to only see LFG for a particular map if they want to, but usually there aren't so many that you would need to.

Also, it needs to remember the category/sub category you last had open, at least within the same play session. This is my biggest frustration with it. Eg, I'm looking for T3 Fractal groups, if I accidentally close the LFG or switch maps then when I open it again it's back to default view so I need to scroll down to fractals, expand it, click on T3 Fractals. Every, single, time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’d like them to add a third toggle to the vault/daily list where you can track LFG categories. So maybe I want to track what groups are popping up in AB while also monitoring groups popping up in Amnytas while I continue playing without having the whole LFG window open.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I had another suggestion here:

(It was when another thread with complaints about the lfg was prominent so not many people ready my thread.)
Imo the many categories with not enough smaller sections inside them are the main problem. Too much scrolling on the left cause the "category" thing is bigger. Does not make sense to have one when there is only 1 section (or at max 2) inside.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Categories are fine.

Having another filter, show possible groups only. Then it removes all the tabs without any groups in them. Would be a good solution to clicking through all of them just to realize there is nothing and click click click. Show active groups. No more clicking through empty ones.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1