Scepter News: They listened to some revenant scepter feedback !

arazoth.7290

Still wish there wasn’t any ally targeting in the kit. Instead they doubled down on it and made skill 2 ally target as well. The game wasn’t designed around ally targeting. It was designed on direct targeting and ground targeting. It just feels so jarring and flow breaking to ally target in the middle of fights. Was a slap in the face too since they said it was too awkward on warrior staff and changed it to ground target, but then leaned heavier into ally targeting for rev specter even though it too was the only ally targeting skill in all of revs kit and was just as awkward as the warriors staff skill… but it’s definitely set in stone now, so rip me and everyone else that isn’t a fan of ruining the flow of combat.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, UncreativeGreen.2019 said:

Still wish there wasn’t any ally targeting in the kit. Instead they doubled down on it and made skill 2 ally target as well. The game wasn’t designed around ally targeting. It was designed on direct targeting and ground targeting. It just feels so jarring and flow breaking to ally target in the middle of fights. Was a slap in the face too since they said it was too awkward on warrior staff and changed it to ground target, but then leaned heavier into ally targeting for rev specter even though it too was the only ally targeting skill in all of revs kit and was just as awkward as the warriors staff skill… but it’s definitely set in stone now, so rip me and everyone else that isn’t a fan of ruining the flow of combat.

Well first of all, the main enemy target has mostly target icon above them.

If you detarget the enemy by clicking your ally manually or just the lower hp target in the left above screen in party, squad, raid whatever, makes it not that hard with some practice. It's just the same as clicking or keybinding ally/enemy whatever you prefere.

And for switching back fast to the enemy that has been targetted to focus, press "T". If you have bounded it to another key to focus, press that one then.

Just to say, ground is on many class abilities going from useable to awkard to unuseable. And since the aoe area isn't small and it's 900 range useable, it's not that hard to land. Even if you take the wrong ally, it's aoe around that area the other one can get affected too.

In the end some skill factor is little bit included but it has become a lot more manageable from reading these changes they made now. 

It's like driving a car/bycycle, at first it can be awkard but once you learn how to use it, it becomes smooth. And I learning scepter with that targeting is a lot easier then the 2 above ^^.

Just saying, don't blow it off so fast without some practice with these new quality of life changes to the weapon.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Honestly I'm pretty stoked about the changes. My own personal issues with the weapon were addressed. Autoattacking to build stacks was clunky and unreliable in WvW. While I do agree that ally targeting is janky and horribly accommodated/optimized, I have been maining Specter for a while now and am very much used to it. Being able to place scepter 2 on allies means you can actually make it reliably hit people, which is a huge improvement from having it centered on just the enemy.

With more ally targeting being added to the game, I really do hope ANet puts some more effort into optimizing the UI and actually bug-testing and fixing the keybind options that they've implemented for it. Cycling through minis, clones, dead clones, pets, siege, objects, etc. is just ridiculous. 

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

Honestly I'm pretty stoked about the changes. My own personal issues with the weapon were addressed. Autoattacking to build stacks was clunky and unreliable in WvW. While I do agree that ally targeting is janky and horribly accommodated/optimized, I have been maining Specter for a while now and am very much used to it. Being able to place scepter 2 on allies means you can actually make it reliably hit people, which is a huge improvement from having it centered on just the enemy.

With more ally targeting being added to the game, I really do hope ANet puts some more effort into optimizing the UI and actually bug-testing and fixing the keybind options that they've implemented for it. Cycling through minis, clones, dead clones, pets, siege, objects, etc. is just ridiculous. 

My thoughts as well but my only thing I'd like changed is making the scepter a 900 range weapon.  The auto attack being limited to 350u while 2 and 3 being ranged just feels a little out of place.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, phokus.8934 said:

My thoughts as well but my only thing I'd like changed is making the scepter a 900 range weapon.  The auto attack being limited to 350u while 2 and 3 being ranged just feels a little out of place.

imagine if they changed scepter autoattacks to hit in 300 range still but its lightsaber effect (for lack of a better word) hits people at 900 range.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

idk, with that kinda delayed burst (and still pretty good damage numbers, the total of pulses+final explosion is like double a single target chilling isolation) and the ability to set up the pop, vindi spear and follow it up with other attacks, plus the barrier and permanent slow/cripple on anything you stay near while still maintaining decent vuln stacks, you might just run it in place of sword on pvp dps builds now too

which is dumb, it's supposed to be for support
kinda hope that's not the case, been afraid most of these weapons are going to be powercreeped in some way to just be objectively stronger since they're new

16 hours ago, UncreativeGreen.2019 said:

There were issues with the warrior staff skill that weren't due to ally target skills - the original functionality was based on a warrior greatsword skill that's been faulty for years. They probably changed to ground target to sidestep those issues and rendering ally targeting redundant was just a side effect.

"The concept of charging the skills with your autoattack chain proved to be a mechanic that didn’t add much to the weapon’s gameplay. It was too easy in PvE, and it was too unrealistic in competitive modes. We’ve removed this mechanic and adjusted the skills accordingly.

Unlike warrior’s Line Breaker, we felt ally targeting could improve revenant’s Blossoming Aura skill. You’ll now be able to place it on an ally, sacrificing the damage for guaranteed support."

I just hope this means in situations where you cant hit enemies in any game mode, you can still give a good amount of barrier. And also that the thing isnt so busy, so I can use vindi skills or tablet and it actually be fun to use rather than

2 hours ago, Bish.8627 said:

"The concept of charging the skills with your autoattack chain proved to be a mechanic that didn’t add much to the weapon’s gameplay. It was too easy in PvE, and it was too unrealistic in competitive modes. We’ve removed this mechanic and adjusted the skills accordingly.

Unlike warrior’s Line Breaker, we felt ally targeting could improve revenant’s Blossoming Aura skill. You’ll now be able to place it on an ally, sacrificing the damage for guaranteed support."

I just hope this means in situations where you cant hit enemies in any game mode, you can still give a good amount of barrier. And also that the thing isnt so busy, so I can use vindi skills or tablet and it actually be fun to use rather than

From watching the stream it is that yes.

In my opinion I think they nerfed the barrier baseline coëfficiënts too much and the healing power related coëfficiënts also too much.

Since it was going to be more reliable useage now it was going to see some barrier nerfs, I knew that. But from my first look they went little too harsh with it.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 9:51 PM, arazoth.7290 said:

From watching the stream it is that yes.

In my opinion I think they nerfed the barrier baseline coëfficiënts too much and the healing power related coëfficiënts also too much.

Since it was going to be more reliable useage now it was going to see some barrier nerfs, I knew that. But from my first look they went little too harsh with it.

where are the new values ? didnt found.

On pve it was perma 10k aoe barrrier while combat, on WvW was harder to make barrier but when happens it strong while it last 2secs :)

Edited by Aeolus.3615

33 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

where are the new values ? didnt found.

On pve it was perma 10k aoe barrrier while combat, on WvW was harder to make barrier but when happens it strong while it last 2secs 🙂

You can watch the coëfficiënts in live stream of the patch notes back then. For example Grimjack had a full documented of all.

But to come back on this, I did some time ago some recalculations and it is still overall fine, since mechanics are now more reliable also. And also at first I did some wrong calculation and forgot to see a specific change. So overall some nerfs, but that was to be expected.

Because some abilities were from times harder/not reliable to get off and so not full support potential out of it when needed. Because of previous mechanics auto attacks stack generating removed and now passive gained with still some attention given though.

So noting to worry about, unless they nerf it more which would bring it out of this balanced zone and then it would be undertuned

• Confused 1

There's nothing ally targeting can do that we can't just ground target. If a skill is specifically balanced to affect only one person, then the skill is fundamentally either too weak or too strong. 

Personally I would just have Blossoming Aura that is a 400 range AoE effect around the Revenant. The closer you are to the Revenant, the stronger the effect. The further you are the weaker the effect. Still encourages the player to "cleave" allies and enemies within its semi-melee range. 

39 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

There's nothing ally targeting can do that we can't just ground target. If a skill is specifically balanced to affect only one person, then the skill is fundamentally either too weak or too strong. 

Personally I would just have Blossoming Aura that is a 400 range AoE effect around the Revenant. The closer you are to the Revenant, the stronger the effect. The further you are the weaker the effect. Still encourages the player to "cleave" allies and enemies within its semi-melee range. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blossoming_Aura

900 range to apply and can be ally targetted now too. and the effect can be triggered now on demand. If you let it blast before it finishes strengthening it does less damage/barrier. But you have more choice depending on situation/skill lvl.

The end blast/effect affects everyone around the target and target himself ofcourse in 360 radius.

So idk what how much you want more to get it easier to apply to the target(s) in need. But this is really kid friendly to apply it with that range/radius around them. You don't even need to apply it to the right ally, you can do it do those nearby them since it's 360 radius effect eitherway.

What tou suggested would make it a lot weaker/less versatile

I still stand by the fact that the barrier amounts during the beta needed to be toned down, but It feels like they've gone too far the other direction. Waiting 4 seconds for a 2k barrier in full healing gear seems a tad underwhelming. Especially at 10e ... I mean it just feels all sorts of off when the skill 2 isn't 5e like every other weapon over all of rev. 

Overall, pretty underwhelming. Still a poorly designed weapon where all your support comes seconds down the line rather than when you need it.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, UncreativeGreen.2019 said:

I still stand by the fact that the barrier amounts during the beta needed to be toned down, but It feels like they've gone too far the other direction. Waiting 4 seconds for a 2k barrier in full healing gear seems a tad underwhelming. Especially at 10e ... I mean it just feels all sorts of off when the skill 2 isn't 5e like every other weapon over all of rev. 

Overall, pretty underwhelming. Still a poorly designed weapon where all your support comes seconds down the line rather than when you need it.

3 butons that need to be used for 5k barriers and it feels like combo like while other classes give it with a one button press?

The tether to ally  it is  extremelly weak, game is already bloated with fury and might and auto gives also might.

There are some weapons that are super strong and others that are the opposite, the loosing classes so far seams mesmer rifle, guardian pistols to some extent and rev wand.

Thief axe and reaper swords are strong, staff warrior seams good as well.

Note: i think the people that say its strong it is the players using pve balance on the guild hall arena lol on  the rev septer lol 

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UncreativeGreen.2019 said:

Big agree. 

13 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Seems perfect to me...

the values are good, but it is cluncky the skill sometimes i have targets it is like press on a plank :)

Also allies @ 90º angle of u skill enters directly in CD same with enemies that go into your side.

I am pressing 2 and 3 and does nothing dont even activate or enters in CD directly w/o doing eneythign due enemy/ally positioning.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

My main complaint is that the Legendary Relic not only doesn't have any visual effect attached but also that doesn't display the relic you're really using. Even worse, in the Customize screen the purple letters are very dark over an even darker background so is really hard to read what you're seein unles your mouse floats above so the letters change to a much brighter purple. They should represent the relic you're wearing just with the older icons surrounded by a purple circle or something and improving the reading adding a white border or something...

• Like 2