Quickness and Alacrity in WvW

Szatko.8132

From what we know from the patch preview on Twitch, many support specs (Druid, Tempest and Scourge) will have their alacrity application completely removed in WvW. I know that boons in WvW are problematic (and not only in WvW, but that's a topic for a completely different post), but why would the balance team remove them completely and only for a couple of specs? This will create a situation, where people will simply spam not only Firebrands, but also alacrity Chronomancers in order to supply their squads with both alac and quick. This change will kill variety among support classes, not bring more balance into WvW. Killing certain builds/specs is not balance, it's impoverishment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

In case you're wondering...

• Desert Empowerment: This trait now grants vigor instead of alacrity in PvP and WvW.
  • Grace of the Land: This trait now applies might instead of alacrity in WvW and PvP.
  • Lucid Singularity: This trait now applies might instead of alacrity in PvP and WvW.

Oh and look more boon strip nerfs... 🙄

• Null Field: Reduced the field duration from 5 seconds to 2 seconds in WvW only. Reduced the number of pulses from 6 to 3 in WvW only.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

In case you're wondering...

Oh and look more boon strip nerfs... 🙄

You are being callous. It's no secret that Anet has slowly been removing boon conversion from the game mode and now, boon removals is starting to disappear. OP is not wrong either...it will create a pressure for groups to just STACK builds that provide these boons...its not just boons but any class that has abilities that people have deemed is meta in WvW ...like superspeed (like putting it on Feel my wrath...stupid idea.)

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm wondering why out of all things to hit that Anet chose random bits of alacrity.  Alacrity as a boon is only good for long term fights when applied for long durations itself.  I.E. if a skill has a 30 second cooldown, under alacrity it will be 24 seconds, but that is only if you have 24 seconds worth of alacrity on you for that entire duration.  The boons that make the balls so strong are protection, regeneration, stability, fury, and might.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

You are being callous. It's no secret that Anet has slowly been removing boon conversion from the game mode and now, boon removals is starting to disappear. OP is not wrong either...it will create a pressure for groups to just STACK builds that provide these boons...its not just boons but any class that has abilities that people have deemed is meta in WvW ...like superspeed (like putting it on Feel my wrath...stupid idea.)

What are you even on about?

Where in my post did I say I disagree with the OP?

I listed the patch notes as reference.

I listed the alacrity changes.

I listed another boon strip nerf, the thing I've been complaining about for years already.

Take the rest of your argument back to the OP.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

What are you even on about?

I said you were being callous.

You linked the alacrity changes, as if he doesn't already know what they were. You follow this with a "rolling your eyes emoji" question mark? i mean what else could that mean other than you are rolling your eyes at what OP is saying.

But i mean maybe i just misunderstood your comment...But then why would you link Well of Corruption after that? boon conversion is originally necromancer's class defining flavor mechanic...It doesn't even make sense why you would bring it up... it's almost as if you want well of corruption to be nerfed alongside or instead of null field.

Point is boon conversion as a mechanic shouldn't be jettisoned from the game, which it certainly is, and the changes to alacrity are also bad in the sense that they do what the OP says its gonna do...why? Because its happened before and it always happens like that until they just kill the build enough for people to stop playing it. its happened over and over and over again.

Having boon conversion solves the problem of boons (who would have thunk that). but seems like we are just removing all the mechanics from the game instead.

• Confused 1

Alacrity was an nice utility boon but it dose messed up the cd balancing for skill. Quickness mostly messes up tells and auto attk like skills balancing (keep in mind anet has removed a lot of quickness from the game so this may fit over all.) So maybe this will be better but i do question removing boon strip from one class with out adding it to another or at least adding in and/or buffing relic / sigil that also boon strip. We need dedicated relic to boon strip beyond elite bomb more on the lines of consistent boon strip that will also hit though stab spam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I'm wondering why out of all things to hit that Anet chose random bits of alacrity.  Alacrity as a boon is only good for long term fights when applied for long durations itself.  I.E. if a skill has a 30 second cooldown, under alacrity it will be 24 seconds, but that is only if you have 24 seconds worth of alacrity on you for that entire duration.  The boons that make the balls so strong are protection, regeneration, stability, fury, and might.  

You hnderestimate the powerful ability to spam alac for people in sieges uh-huh…. 

honestly getting vigor or might instead of alac is even a buff for wvw imo.

the boonstrip / corruption nerf (another one) is peak idiotic.

• Confused 2

46 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

You linked the alacrity changes, as if he doesn't already know what they were. You follow this with a "rolling your eyes emoji" question mark? i mean what else could that mean other than you are rolling your eyes at what OP is saying.

But i mean maybe i just misunderstood your comment...But then why would you link Well of Corruption after that? boon conversion is originally necromancer's class defining flavor mechanic...It doesn't even make sense why you would bring it up... it's almost as if you want well of corruption to be nerfed alongside or instead of null field.

Point is boon conversion as a mechanic shouldn't be jettisoned from the game, which it certainly is, and the changes to alacrity are also bad in the sense that they do what the OP says its gonna do...why? Because its happened before and it always happens like that until they just kill the build enough for people to stop playing it. its happened over and over and over again.

Having boon conversion solves the problem of boons (who would have thunk that). but seems like we are just removing all the mechanics from the game instead.

Nah I think you just don't like me.

First of all, I didn't even quote the OP. My post was a reference post to back up what they were saying, so people know what they were talking about as the prepatch notes had just came out and no one else had talked about it yet.

My roll eyes was about yet another boon strip coming, hence why it was placed at the end of that sentence, not about the OP post. No clue how you even put that together as me eye rolling the OP.

I linked well of corruption because it's unblockable 5 target strip, yet they've been nerfing the hell out of null field. I'm not linking it because I want it nerfed, I'm linking it because there's no reason to nerf Null field again in comparison.

I'm not against boon strips, I'm one of the biggest complainer of boon balls and boon strip nerfs, my two mains are two boon strip classes, mesmer and necro, my classes are getting nerfed practically every patch. So I have no idea why you're coming after me, other than well you don't like my opinions in the first place. Maybe read my post instead of making wild assumptions. You're just as out of touch as the devs if you think me of all people want boon strips nerfed. Back to my ignore list you go. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

The boons that make the balls so strong are protection, regeneration, stability, fury, and might.  

+ resistance.

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

I linked well of corruption because it's unblockable 5 target strip, yet they've been nerfing the hell out of null field. I'm not linking it because I want it nerfed, I'm linking it because there's no reason to nerf Null field again in comparison.

i think it is partially nerfed specifically because it is also an ethereal combo field and they are reducing chaos aura spamm.
chaos aura will give you a boon when you are hit, yet aside from null field other AoE strips do come with a hit, thus they remove the boon they just applied unless you stack more strips than the ICD of chaos aura can handle.

it is a bit odd to nerf mesmer in so many different aspects at once. as long as damage is not buffed again across the board we will be stuck in this fun meta and its just a question of whether mesmer will have a place in it or not. cant stack 5 supports in every group if the opponents also have supports.

Alacrity is one of those things that should make you take a step back and ask:

Why does this even exist?!

The cooldowns are there for a reason. Why is there a boon that changes cooldown on skills? Anet already have arbitrary balancing of cooldowns. Why is there an ingame way to further unbalance Anets mediocre attempts at balancing? And it's an extra boon adding lag to the combat system, an extra boon that constantly has to be calculated for absolutely no reason. We understand why some boons are there, such as stability for example. A direct counter to CC. Resistance? A direct counter to condi bombs (on top of cleanse). But alacrity, as a concept? Just reducing the cooldown of a skill that has a cooldown for a reason? Quickness is another typical boon in the same line, skills have different activation times for a reason. That's what should be balanced. So once again:

Why are people even arguing?

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Oh kitten u are right.

Well of corruption is too strong! Just think about it balance team sisters! Pulsing damage and boon conversion? Cd must be risen to 190s and pulse count changed to 1 in wvw only 

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

The cooldowns are there for a reason. Why is there a boon that changes cooldown on skills? Anet already have arbitrary balancing of cooldowns. Why is there an ingame way to further unbalance Anets mediocre attempts at balancing? And it's an extra boon adding lag to the combat system, an extra boon that constantly has to be calculated for absolutely no reason. We understand why some boons are there, such as stability for example. A direct counter to CC. Resistance? A direct counter to condi bombs (on top of cleanse). But alacrity, as a concept? Just reducing the cooldown of a skill that has a cooldown for a reason? Quickness is another typical boon in the same line, skills have different activation times for a reason. That's what should be balanced. So once again:

Hmm. Never thought of it that way. And this argument also applies for pve.

if they measure their balance with constant alac / quickness anyways, why not directly reduce cds and delete the boon etc.

i think it’s kinda fun especially the counter condi like chill and slow but yeah. And espequickness feels good, i like it faster. Especially on reaper. But then we might argue for a general speedier animations for some stuff anyways.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

It exists for chrono, cuz its cds long. 

They just released it as shared instead of personal by mistake and then refused to accept it so started giving boon with chrono logo to every class.

Muh time control

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Nah I think you just don't like me.

First of all, I didn't even quote the OP. My post was a reference post to back up what they were saying, so people know what they were talking about as the prepatch notes had just came out and no one else had talked about it yet.

My roll eyes was about yet another boon strip coming, hence why it was placed at the end of that sentence, not about the OP post. No clue how you even put that together as me eye rolling the OP.

I'm not against boon strips, I'm one of the biggest complainer of boon balls and boon strip nerfs, my two mains are two boon strip classes, mesmer and necro, my classes are getting nerfed practically every patch. So I have no idea why you're coming after me, other than well you don't like my opinions in the first place. Maybe read my post instead of making wild assumptions. You're just as out of touch as the devs if you think me of all people want boon strips nerfed. Back to my ignore list you go. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think we’ve ever interacted before. if I misinterpreted you, then sorry.

The way your post was made, was very easily misinterpret-able I guess. For instance, replies to an OP of a thread is implied, and doesn’t require a quote block…many platforms work like this…which is why normally you would specify a-priori that you are making a post that isn’t a reply to the OP. Since you didn’t specify and you mentioned to the Op : “just in case you are wondering.” You’ve set the context that you are replying to him.

look just next time maybe express a bit more clearly what your saying with some conventional writing so that idiots like me don’t misinterpret you.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Okay but counter point you could make the same argument about any mechanic in the game. Damage coefficient on skills exist on them for a reason…so why do might and other damage modifiers exist?

The reason effects exist at all is because it’s supposed to add some kind of interaction space to the game. And the real questions are how much interaction and whether the interaction is fun or not fun.

I’m not saying alacrity proliferation was ever a good thing, I think it was just the result of anets terrible balance philosophy to balance everything on a superficial quaternity (quickness support/dps, alacrity support/dps). Even though it was a bad idea it would also make other otherwise useless builds and classes useful since the boon itself (alacrity) was just universally useful.

but the worst part is that now they are taking these away without supplanting it with something useful and unique. It’s a game of “back-and-forth” with arena net that refuse to address or create unique and fun mechanics, having always just slapped bandaids on their problems.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Okay but counter point you could make the same argument about any mechanic in the game. Damage coefficient exists on skills exist on them for a reason…so why does might and other damage modifiers exist?

The reason effects exist at all is because it’s supposed to add some kind of interaction space to the game. And the real question is whether the interaction is fun or not fun.

I’m not saying alacrity proliferation was ever good, I think it was just the result of anets terrible balance philosophy to balance everything on a superficial quaternity (quickness support/dps, alacrity support/dps). Even though it was a bad idea it would also make other otherwise useless builds and classes useful since the boon itself (alacrity) was just universally useful. 

but the worst part is that now they are taking these away without supplanting it with something useful and unique. It’s a game of “back-and-forth” with arena net that refuse to address core game mechanical problems that have always just slapped bandaids on because their balance philosophies just don’t work. 

Im telling you guys, it was mistake, just look at alac history, it was chrono gimic that was released as shared boon, the realization it was a mistake came and they started panic fixing but fugged up even more. 

As class gimmic it could have been controlled now its a mess and main driver of power creep in all game modes. 

Everyone can blame mesmer sisters for this as their class mechanics like quick and alac leaked to other classes and created the mess after some genius thought that giving it to other classes will solve the issue. 

Edited by Triptaminas.4789

20 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Okay but counter point you could make the same argument about any mechanic in the game. Damage coefficient on skills exist on them for a reason…so why do might and other damage modifiers exist?

The reason effects exist at all is because it’s supposed to add some kind of interaction space to the game. And the real questions are how much interaction and whether the interaction is fun or not fun.

That's not a counterpoint, it's pretty much the same point lol. We have 1-25 might stacks on a gazillion different skills and trait interactions, sigils, runes, food, god kitten everything. Why isnt it just... a might boon... if all you want it interaction between players? A player popping a skill that gives AoE might to his allies, to help in the fight and give the group a short burst of more damage.

Why do might have to be so god kitten complicated?

30 minutes ago, Triptaminas.4789 said:

after some genius thought that giving it to other classes will solve the issue. 

100%, The idea came from PVE players. I should really go down the forum history and try to show how many people wanted it.

but the idea would eventually become the “bring the player, not the class” philosophy that Anet has now been running for past 2ish or so years.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

The idea came from PVE players. I should really go down the forum history and try to show how many people wanted it.

bur the idea would become the “bring the player, not the class” philosophy that Anet has now been running for past 2ish or so years.

Just look at either PvE or WvW at any point in time and it's still "bring the elite, not the class"...