Charr Obsidian Legendary Armor: Updated Preview

• ArenaNet Staff

We're all very excited for next week's game update and have been reading your feedback to the previews we've been sharing! Based on some of that feedback, we've made adjustments to the charr's heavy Obsidian Legendary armor set to cover the claws and more of the neck, as seen in the screenshot below.

We've also got a video preview coming for you soon for one more look at the first tier of Obsidian Legendary armor as we count down the last few days until The Realm of Dreams!

EN_Charrmor.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 3

33 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

I like the change.

But the ear and horn clipping should still get fixed.

Agreed.

23 minutes ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

How? They'd have to remove them entirely. 

Ears could be hidden with the helm to avoid those clippings, treating it as if the ears are kept within the helm.

With the horns, just add circular rims around the base of the horns so that there's a "hole" the horn "fits through"

13 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

If they are keeping the lower horns then give them gilded bases like the upper ones.

Pretty sure the gilded base of the upper horns is because of the specific horns chosen. Bottom rightmost option here - Rox's horns, they have gold base by default.

It's a very tricky appearance that makes the horn's base part of the helm, due to the chosen dye. Creative deception by ANet, intentionally or not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Senti.2890 said:

Agreed.

Ears could be hidden with the helm to avoid those clippings, treating it as if the ears are kept within the helm.

With the horns, just add circular rims around the base of the horns so that there's a "hole" the horn "fits through"

Pretty sure the gilded base of the upper horns is because of the specific horns chosen. Bottom rightmost option here - Rox's horns, they have gold base by default.

It's a very tricky appearance that makes the horn's base part of the helm, due to the chosen dye. Creative deception by ANet, intentionally or not.

Oh and here I thought charr got something nice added to their horns =(

• Sad 1

@Rubi Bayer.8493This is a huge step in the right direction and it looks SO much better! Can I please, please, please request that the clipping ears/fang be hidden/removed entirely so they don't look so out of place? Ideally, the horns could have a hole or space for them to fit, but if that's too complicated on a short time frame, I will take the horns clipping if the ears can be fixed or hidden, especially since they do more movement during animations and it would just look weird with them randomly coming through the helm.

Thanks for responding to feedback, especially so soon before release! ❤️

Edited by cutecliche.9027
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

Adding a ring/loop is sorta doable? all main/upper/larger horns on male charr have the same origin point but vary in angle a bit, so it could be done.
Tho that "loop" would have to be in a different spot on female charr whos horns start in a completely different spot from males, but the issue is their horn options vary in angle a LOT.
Early on it seems like someone tried to do that, and to this day the charr miner helm that ya can see on some npcs has the "loops" in a completely wrong spot, and players never got to wear it. Other issue are the ears, as is there seems to be no separate toggles to hide ears and horns independently, since no healm can do that (afaik)

IMO only feasible way to make this work proper, would be modifying the sides of the helm a fair bit more to make em work like they do on the Khan Ur or the Blood legion / Charr Warr Mask helms, aka completely exposing the whole ear/horn area and adding even more neck armor.

(PS: every day i wake up, and cry because i cannot choose ears and horns individually in the makeover kit (one of the horn/ear combos has an earring,) It might be late to add that to the game, but would help a lot of helms clip less, since then a separate toggle for ears could be a thing on the dev side of things)

Edited by mitri.3842
  • Like 2

Great changes already, but the job isn't done. Those areas are an eye-sore. They have to be fixed or it's going to be mess. 

I've also seen skme people worried about the different styles of horns that'll end up clipping with the armor. Anet doesn't have an amazing track history when it comes to compensating for Charr and Asura anatomy. 

You've been hyping this amour for literal months. Some people have farmed for hundreds of hours to be ready for the release. Don't make all that hype a bad PR event where people have the ammo to bash all the amazing work you put into the armor as a whole by being able to pick on the 2 races that look like pure laziness when it comes to clipping issues.

Cultural amour exists. You've done a great job with Charr and Asura armor before. The tone has been set. Don't let the ball drop now with this release. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Just for context this was free armor from 10 years ago

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Guard_Outfit#/media/File:Royal_Guard_Outfit_charr_male_front.jpg 

I am glad they are listening to feedback.  But painting metal on toenails and fingernails, extending some neck armor and not fixing the Charr whiskers and ears clipping on something called LEGENDARY armor that is a selling point of an expansion seems just low effort.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

19 minutes ago, MuscleBobBuffPants.1406 said:

Just for context this was free armor from 10 years ago

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Guard_Outfit#/media/File:Royal_Guard_Outfit_charr_male_front.jpg 

I am glad they are listening to feedback.  But painting metal on toenails and fingernails, extending some neck armor and not fixing the Charr whiskers and ears clipping on something called LEGENDARY armor that is a selling point of an expansion seems just low effort.  

That is not an armor tho its an outfit way easier for them to make since it dont have to mix with any other armor part.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

That is not an armor tho its an outfit way easier for them to make since it dont have to mix with any other armor part.

You can create toenail and fingernail armor.   I don't think it would be too hard to create for something called legendary armor that is part of an expansion.  There are also other examples of Charr heavy armor without the whiskers showing through.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charr_male_heavy_armor

• Confused 4

12 minutes ago, MuscleBobBuffPants.1406 said:

You can create toenail and fingernail armor.   I don't think it would be too hard to create for something called legendary armor that is part of an expansion.  There are also other examples of Charr heavy armor without the whiskers showing through.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charr_male_heavy_armor

Not saying I dont agree with you but the example you first brought up was just a wrong one since it was not infact armor skins

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

Either by integrating ears and horns in the helmet design (which is the better way)
or - as you said - by removing ears and horns (which would be the less good way).

I mean, they did both already in other armors, they know how to deal with such issue.

In my opinion such details (same for Asura ears and toes) should be considered for this armor. It's a legendary after all.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MuscleBobBuffPants.1406 said:

3D modeling wise it is the same idea and concept.  

But no it is not since having 1 full outfit that dont have to match with anything else, they can make what ever they want how ever they want as long as it fits together with itself over your character.

Having an armor set were 5 parts out of 6 since helms always cut off at the same line have to fit with every other 5 parts of light medium or heavy is infact not the same thing.

If it worked how you want it to work we would be able to mix and match light medium,heavy armor skins together dont you think?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Cool that for once Charr helmets get a second look before being shipped.

Now while we're at it, can some other prestige armors get a makeover maybe at some point? You know, fix some twitchy heavy legendary gauntlets, some dye channels, maybe add some dye channels to AP armor, fix the bulky sylvari legs and shoulders maybe? (Don't worry, I don't expect it to happen, but one can dream, right...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

43 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

But no it is not since having 1 full outfit that dont have to match with anything else, they can make what ever they want how ever they want as long as it fits together with itself over your character.

Having an armor set were 5 parts out of 6 since helms always cut off at the same line have to fit with every other 5 parts of light medium or heavy is infact not the same thing.

If it worked how you want it to work we would be able to mix and match light medium,heavy armor skins together dont you think?

Yeah it is.  It is 3D modeling.  You are very focused on the distinction between outfits and armor.  Your original argument was based on this idea too on mixing and match.  I never mentioned that once.  My purpose of posting the armor gallery and outfit gallery is that it is possible to create a 3D model for an object that goes over the Charr that doesn't show Charr whiskers.  This is true for both armor skins and outfits.  Maybe it takes more work programming wise to allow mixing and matching for armor skins, but it is possible with their models.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4