What happened to all the servers?

2 minutes ago, Chyx.3956 said:

Almost every single server is open right now. What happened?

Potential issues: Warming weather, real life activities, lowering of pop bar, mass of game releases drawing players temp away, LS, festivals, new Expansion events opening servers while players are focusing outside of the game mode. If your question is what changed in WvW to have players leave, nothing.  So its more the draw to else where is your answer.

• Like 3
  • Confused 8

8 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Potential issues: Warming weather, real life activities, lowering of pop bar, mass of game releases drawing players temp away, LS, festivals, new Expansion events opening servers while players are focusing outside of the game mode. If your question is what changed in WvW to have players leave, nothing.  So its more the draw to else where is your answer.

More than likely it was just a threshold adjustment(looks as if they did a wrong setting in EU though, no very high servers, that would be a massive gap). Servers don't usually have a major drop until summer.

https://i.ibb.co/k3XFR7Z/2024-mar-19.jpg

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 1

the fullness of servers depend on the 'fullest' server.
as you can see one server that recently had opened up was set to full and most other servers lost some relative population.
one would assume that one server is now quite stacked.

• Like 1

Not sure. One could think it's due to people leaving the game, but most of those people would just stop playing, not delete the accounts and thus decrease the number of players on a server.

The Steam release of GW2 certainly didn't do the numbers that Anet hoped for. I mean, since it's release it's had a peak of a little over 7000 players. That's not a huge influx (though, better than fiascoes like Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League).

If people are leaving the game, I would it put it down to the massive change that SotO brought (Relics, for one). The constant nerfing and buffing of certain classes. The Competitive modes that Anet doesn't seem to police with any vigour. New currencies galore. The grind to make a Legendary. People get bored/exasperated and simply stop playing. But again, that shouldn't decrease a server's population.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

not delete the accounts and thus decrease the number of players on a server

This is irrelevant, as WvW population is only based on people actively playing WvW. "Deleting" an account and stopping to play WvW have the exact same effect on the population.

That aside, I'm not even sure that it is possible to actually "delete" your accout

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

52 minutes ago, Custodio.6134 said:

That aside, I'm not even sure that it is possible to actually "delete" your accout

If it wasn’t it probably wouldn’t be legal for Anet to operate in the EU. But I mean yes, that is rather extreme just to avoid playing WvW.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only play this game occasionally these days, but the first thing I noticed when I installed this time (end of feb) was that a lot of people on my follow/block lists who I would have described as addicted to this game have either stopped playing or are playing a lot less. (this is on EU btw)

Similar thing on Discord, first thing I saw was the one tryhard guild that the server+link had between them had disbanded that week due to them being bored to death of the way the combat/meta has gone. According to their guild leader they are not alone in this, other guilds have also disbanded / gone on a break for similar reasons.

Of the three people I actually talk to (outside of the game) still deranged enough to play WvW on a regular basis, 2 have gone on a break / possibly quit, 1 is now mostly playing sPvP.

I expect once I've played about for a bit after this balance patch on the assumption it makes no real difference I too will uninstall again.

And for the devs who seem to need this explaining, you've managed to turn what was once pretty good by the standards of large scale combat into dross. When I join a Discord group up to 80% of the players are on support builds, that alone should tell you how wrong things are. But then you sit there in a ball barely moving, much of the time I move more doing the Dragons End boss than I do when I play WvW in an organised group.

Not only have you made the combat so bad even WvW players (who aren't exactly the most fussy when it comes to quality / skilled gameplay) are being turned off by it, but you've managed to make it even more binary. Years ago if you had one server that was a bit more tryhard and one that was bit more casual, the more casual server could get carried by a group of decent players so you would have reasonably decent fights between the two, at least some of the time, but that doesn't really happen anymore. Which is boring for everyone.

The result of which is now even your "addicted" players are leaving / playing less, the low server populations reflect that, maybe combined with how they determine the thresholds if they for example base it off the most populated server (WSR in this case).

Edited by Sylosi.6503
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Custodio.6134 said:

This is irrelevant, as WvW population is only based on people actively playing WvW. "Deleting" an account and stopping to play WvW have the exact same effect on the population.

Right. But servers being "full" or not has nothing to do with WvW and everything to do with server population. Which is my point.

Edit: Oh, and this:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001357228-I-Want-to-Delete-My-ArenaNet-Account

Edited by misterman.1530
  • Confused 5

Don't spend too much time thinking, it's clearly a miscalculation of flows. I'm in T4 against WSR and FR+Vizuna. Just check the flows of the 3 teams (k + d). Right now we are at 30,000 K+D ( medium + high server ) WSR has 45,000 K+D ( full server stacked as usual ) FR+Vizuna has 49,000 K+D ( medium + medium server ) 

And we are only on Tuesday, it is clear that the latter are full + full server numbers, not average. You can write it in 10 different languages but I'll never believe it.

They're literally a lot of players. Take a walk around here and you can see it with your own eyes.

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Isn't there a Call of war bonus event, starting today?

So the population should adjust, according to the influx of pve players in less than a week, even though that's a bad metric/measurement. 

You should look through Sylosi's post history too, he hates wvw and constantly posts about it negatively,  not objectively, I'm not sure why he's back. 

Edited by RisingDawn.5796
  • Thanks 1

If you want to make a round figure just to simplify the math, 50,000 k+d on Tuesday morning are still important numbers. 4 days of play since Friday night's reset. If we assume that to kill someone you need at least 2 players (even if we know that many more interact) that's 100,000 iterations in 4 days. 25,000 per day. 1041 every hour, 17 every minute. Pretty much every time you count to 3 someone dies in WVW.

and these would be the numbers of 2 average servers?.2 dead servers? I don't dare to imagine what would happen for 2 full servers then. Clearly Anet is manipulating the thresholds in some way for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Anet made the error to open WSR, and lot of people bandwagonned (GW2mists say 116 moves in during the week, and it's only the peoples identified in this site), thus creating a monster

Consequence : WSR is now the only full european server, and there is no "very high" one

Edited by Squirrell.1493
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Paying 1800 gems isn't a small amount, it just shows how ppl will spend that amount these days, but it's  happened before over a decade ago, with a larger player population.

It's been 10 years since the last WvW tournament, most ppl took seriously compared to the third one, so the queues were astronomical. 

Also, Anet does these algorithm changes now and again, but people want to make conspiracy theories. Like opening  Deso+WSR to high 3 years ago, while they were winning every matchup by 100 vps for two months, made sense.

Edited by RisingDawn.5796

4 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

Right. But servers being "full" or not has nothing to do with WvW and everything to do with server population. Which is my point.

and this specific sentence, is 100% wrong. 

it is EXCLUSIVELY WvW that affects population. PvE and PvP have ZERO influence on that. 

However: how "population" is actually measured, has never been 100% been clarified by ArenaNet. We only know the following factors: 

• only active WvW-players are accounted for population calculation (aka, only people that actively enter WvW), which vice versa means: any player that exclusively plays PvE and never sets foot into WvW is NOT contributing to the server's population
  • the cumulative amount of hours played is ONE factor that goes into the calculation
  • there are additional factors that influence the population of a world (they are confirmed by ArenaNet to exist, but are NOT clarified what these factors actually are, and how they are weighted in the calculation)

However: 

• we do NOT know what the system considers to be an "active player" and the different weightings for different accounts based on activity
  • we do NOT know the additional factors mentioned above, except that we basically know that "they exist"
Edited by Custodio.6134
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Today is the start of the WvW rush event.  Get ready to hold onto your queues.

Like we saw last night. Might be visiting EotM this week it seems as we wait in queue, that or stand in the guild hall crafting siege I guess while playing Civ. Let see how high those numbers can get across all 4 maps lol.

9 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

More than likely it was just a threshold adjustment(looks as if they did a wrong setting in EU though, no very high servers, that would be a massive gap). Servers don't usually have a major drop until summer.

https://i.ibb.co/k3XFR7Z/2024-mar-19.jpg

That was the first thought but I wanted to see how many confused emoji I could get when I used go outside, always good to test gamers, pot kettle black but still all the fun.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Squirrell.1493 said:

Anet made the error to open WSR, and lot of people bandwagonned (GW2mists say 116 moves in during the week, and it's only the peoples identified in this site), thus creating a monster

Consequence : WSR is now the only full european server, and there is no "very high" one

Regarding GW2mists:

My server is linked to FoW (-101 population).

• In week 1 thanks to FoW we had 60+ Q for EBG almost 247. During prime time you had to wait 3 hours to enter that map.
  • In week 2 the server became empty literally over night. Since then we are outnumbered 247. Even at prime.

Last week we were matched against Fort Ranik (french server) (+91 population).

• This server is suddenly full of international gank squad players (Hunt, SA etc.) that do nothing besides spawncamping all day in this game mode.

Like most international servers FoW is known for being a bandwagon server. I bet most of the players it lost over night went wo Vabbi (+72) and WSR (+43) and FSP (+83).

Conclusion: This whole matchup system is a complete joke for non bandwagon players.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

and this specific sentence, is 100% wrong. 

it is EXCLUSIVELY WvW that affects population. PvE and PvP have ZERO influence on that. 

Huh. I had no idea. I guess I never really gave it much thought. Makes sense, though.

• Confused 1