Struggling with roaming/doing objectives on my own, need class/spec advice

So I'm not new to gw2 but last time I really took WvW seriously was when I started playing the game, back in pre-HoT. Since then I haven't really invested much time in WvW, plus I often take year+ breaks and now "every" roamer I go against is a very high rank with thousands of hours and is just skill gapping me. To be honest, I mostly just wanna get in there, capture camps/hunt dollyaks and stuff like that for dailies, weeklies or just keep participation going to complete reward tracks.

Around a year ago I used a trailblazer soulbeast and did ok and I've swapped to druid now but not doing that great. I've also tried celestial mirage and is again, ok.

I have access to every class, what build do you think would be good at, just completely avoiding players with a lot of mobility, tanky, wouldn't struggle with clearing camps but that wouldn't also require a ton of practice? My most played classes (in general, not just wvw) are ranger, mesmer, engi and warrior but can be anything. As a plus, would be nice if I could with maybe a weapon swap be able to have some range and join a tag sometimes to do some of the objectives that I can't do solo/tag some player kills.

Sorry if it's a bit specific of a request, throw me your ideas. I wanna enjoy wvw a bit more but am honestly getting destroyed by everyone

Small scale wvw is not balanced in the slightest. Dont expect to win matchups that dont favor you, dont expect to kill thieves (except bad ones that dont know how to stealth), and dont expect to ever be in even numbered fights. Because of this its basically just preference what class you should play. Most things have hard counters that completely shut them down so just play whats fun and try and avoid all the BS. That or get carried by supports in 5 man groups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Small scale wvw is not balanced in the slightest. Dont expect to win matchups that dont favor you, dont expect to kill thieves (except bad ones that dont know how to stealth), and dont expect to ever be in even numbered fights. Because of this its basically just preference what class you should play. Most things have hard counters that completely shut them down so just play whats fun and try and avoid all the BS. That or get carried by supports in 5 man groups.

This is the correct answer. Anything can cap a camp, nothing can win every matchup, or even most matchups tbh. Unless you're one of those players who thinks resetting is winning, but OP doesn't sound like one of those . . .

The most braindead thing I've played lately is cele herald. You're going to win pretty much any fight v condi and have as fair a shot as possible against everything else. Gets boring enough that I stopped playing it. It's even worse than willbender . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eremoo.2786 said:

So I'm not new to gw2 but last time I really took WvW seriously was when I started playing the game, back in pre-HoT. Since then I haven't really invested much time in WvW, plus I often take year+ breaks and now "every" roamer I go against is a very high rank with thousands of hours and is just skill gapping me. To be honest, I mostly just wanna get in there, capture camps/hunt dollyaks and stuff like that for dailies, weeklies or just keep participation going to complete reward tracks.

Around a year ago I used a trailblazer soulbeast and did ok and I've swapped to druid now but not doing that great. I've also tried celestial mirage and is again, ok.

I have access to every class, what build do you think would be good at, just completely avoiding players with a lot of mobility, tanky, wouldn't struggle with clearing camps but that wouldn't also require a ton of practice? My most played classes (in general, not just wvw) are ranger, mesmer, engi and warrior but can be anything. As a plus, would be nice if I could with maybe a weapon swap be able to have some range and join a tag sometimes to do some of the objectives that I can't do solo/tag some player kills.

Sorry if it's a bit specific of a request, throw me your ideas. I wanna enjoy wvw a bit more but am honestly getting destroyed by everyone

Check metabattle to see if you're at least running something baseline decent https://metabattle.com/wiki/WvW_Roaming

Ranger, mesmer, engineer are good roaming classes so shouldn't be a problem finding a spec for them.

When you hit up camps do two things, kill the veteran scout first because they spam blind on you. Pull the camp into one spot to do aoes if you have them, this can usually be done by running around to aggro and them sit behind the supply stack for them to together.

And to answer your question about avoiding players, a lot of mobility, tanky... Willbender, plus it's Guardian, the number one must have meta class in every group for 12 years running, you can use any of the specs in zergs for whatever roles. Even if it's just to hit Save Yourselves! on command. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Check metabattle to see if you're at least running something baseline decent https://metabattle.com/wiki/WvW_Roaming

Ranger, mesmer, engineer are good roaming classes so shouldn't be a problem finding a spec for them.

When you hit up camps do two things, kill the veteran scout first because they spam blind on you. Pull the camp into one spot to do aoes if you have them, this can usually be done by running around to aggro and them sit behind the supply stack for them to together.

And to answer your question about avoiding players, a lot of mobility, tanky... Willbender, plus it's Guardian, the number one must have meta class in every group for 12 years running, you can use any of the specs in zergs for whatever roles. Even if it's just to hit Save Yourselves! on command. 🤷‍♂️

I am checking builds from there and guildjen, the druid one I'm playing is from guildjen atm. I just can't seem to do well because 90% of people I have to face in a roaming situation are much much higher rank (and I know time doesn't = skill but it helps). And reason I mentioned that it should be able to clear a camp is because I didn't want a silly suggestion like thief on the tankiest gear set with perma stealth which then has no damage whatsoever. I just want a build where I can ignore combat with other players if I want to since so far my experience is almost always a loss, and just go to whatever objective and clear it

4 minutes ago, Eremoo.2786 said:

I am checking builds from there and guildjen, the druid one I'm playing is from guildjen atm. I just can't seem to do well because 90% of people I have to face in a roaming situation are much much higher rank (and I know time doesn't = skill but it helps). And reason I mentioned that it should be able to clear a camp is because I didn't want a silly suggestion like thief on the tankiest gear set with perma stealth which then has no damage whatsoever. I just want a build where I can ignore combat with other players if I want to since so far my experience is almost always a loss, and just go to whatever objective and clear it

Just a matter of learning your build and what other classes do, there are certain builds that are tough to face. That could take any amount of time depending on the person, rank means nothing in wvw as a lot of people earn tons of ranks from just being bots in a zerg and would probably absolutely suck in 1v1's.

You want a build to avoid players - Willbender, the most mobile spec in the game now. /slaps rooftop, 1500 horsepower, 0-100mph in just 3sec with 1-3 button presses. 🤭

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Just a matter of learning your build and what other classes do, there are certain builds that are tough to face. That could take any amount of time depending on the person, rank means nothing in wvw as a lot of people earn tons of ranks from just being bots in a zerg and would probably absolutely suck in 1v1's.

You want a build to avoid players - Willbender, the most mobile spec in the game now. /slaps rooftop, 1500 horsepower, 0-100mph in just 3sec with 1-3 button presses. 🤭

which willbender version would you suggest? I've also seen cele herald suggest here, and guildjen suggest cele willbender so was gonna maybe get the gear for that since I got some account bound stat selectable pieces lying around

38 minutes ago, Eremoo.2786 said:

. And reason I mentioned that it should be able to clear a camp is because I didn't want a silly suggestion like thief on the tankiest gear set with perma stealth which then has no damage whatsoever. I just want a build where I can ignore combat with other players if I want to since so far my experience is almost always a loss, and just go to whatever objective and clear it

and yet a thief with defensive equipment / build would do well to avoid combat with players. which is one part of what you want to do.
since we have equipment and build templates you can run 1 build to avoid combat and detection and 1 to flip stuff as fast as possible.

if you are mindful about the signs you leave for your opponent on the map. like avoid getting marked and avoid killing dolyaks, camps, shrines in a predictable pattern, then you likely wont have people coming for the defense fast enough as it will only show on the map 30s after the first guard got in combat at which point camps would already be cleared and flipping.

after that you could learn to keep a portal in objectives as they flip and maintain it till the coast is clear to flip towers/keeps without needing siege.

so for purely ppt solo roaming i would say thief is the best option. if you want to fight other players however as 1 vs 1 rare these days, most other classes will get you more value.

1 hour ago, Eremoo.2786 said:

which willbender version would you suggest? I've also seen cele herald suggest here, and guildjen suggest cele willbender so was gonna maybe get the gear for that since I got some account bound stat selectable pieces lying around

I actually think power WB is easier to learn, and also scales better if there's additional players. Cele is good too  but I feel it's more work.

It's technically higher risk than cele but it's rather relative and who cares if you can just run away anyways. There are some annoying bunker builds you cannot kill, but again just ignore them. Harbringer OP? Probably. I'm sure someone's going to be like "well, my so-and-so build will kick your kitten" but good luck finding me when I'm already 5 screens away.

Also anecdotally it's generally the power willbenders that I view as a threat because they can wtfpwn you if you're not paying attention. The Cele ones don't seem that impressive but I think that's because they're playing too scared most of the time, rather than the actual build.

Like yesterday I saw a  willbender tear up 7 of our players that got lost from the tag. I don't think they were cele because of their kill speed but then again those were SBI players who are made of tissue paper so who really knows. Note: If you want to make a montage, just make sure to fight whatever we're linked to during EST prime.

Shortbow Cele Vindicator is pretty chill too.; you just spam dodges and then use the gs to leave if anything bad happens. Honestly, I was killing people while reading the tooltips and realized I had another set of skills!  However, it requires SotO.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Like yesterday I saw a  willbender tear up 7 of our players that got lost from the tag. I don't think they were cele because of their kill speed but then again those were SBI players who are made of tissue paper so who really knows.

Only 7? must of been a slow day for SBI, usually you can kill at least 10 before a non bot shows up

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Like yesterday I saw a  willbender tear up 7 of our players that got lost from the tag. I don't think they were cele because of their kill speed but then again those were SBI players who are made of tissue paper so who really knows. Note: If you want to make a montage, just make sure to fight whatever we're linked to during EST prime.

Shortbow Cele Vindicator is pretty chill too.; you just spam dodges and then use the gs to leave if anything bad happens. Honestly, I was killing people while reading the tooltips and realized I had another set of skills!  However, it requires SotO.

7 hours ago, Twilightzone.7452 said:

Only 7? must of been a slow day for SBI, usually you can kill at least 10 before a non bot shows up

You two, SMH. lol. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Eremoo.2786 said:

First off, if you are trying solo via roaming while you are trying to jump back in with challenge mode on. Join a guild, find a group, join a public tag, ask for Havoc, find a friendly roamer. If you are doing this without sPvP practice as busted as it is, all the worse.

You have two issues here. You are trying to roam while avoiding fights. These are a bit of odds to each other. WvW levels add nothing to just fighting against players. So do you sPvP? If no, would recommend that. Its a lot less useful these days but still gives you a practice ground if you are trying to WvW but skip fights since you are missing out at practice which they have. Roamers aren't about avoiding fights, its about doing what you can solo. How many can you take and what can you take solo. It's practice for bigger fights when you might have some but less than them. If you were looking at roaming as just taking, I think you were looking at it wrong. Roaming has never been about avoiding, its about engaging potentially more. 

What it sounds like is you are looking for hit and run builds. A number of classes have them. Take a look at the build sites for that. I will leave others to share those, theory crafter personally so I know of them but don't use so won't try and talk about them in detail. My recommendation remains: gw2skills.net for theory crafting builds before you create them. 

Good hunting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/25/2024 at 7:44 AM, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

Atleast they better than TC. I sometimes wonder if ppl on my server wear white armor to play hardcore mode.

Oof! I admit when I came here way back when after Warhammer closed down entered WvW at min level in white gear, ouch that hurt. Was too used to Warhammer where you could level up in RvR from level 1. WvW not so much lol.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 2:44 PM, Gop.8713 said:

This is the correct answer. Anything can cap a camp, nothing can win every matchup, or even most matchups tbh. Unless you're one of those players who thinks resetting is winning, but OP doesn't sound like one of those . . .

The most braindead thing I've played lately is cele herald. You're going to win pretty much any fight v condi and have as fair a shot as possible against everything else. Gets boring enough that I stopped playing it. It's even worse than willbender . . .

Rifle Deadeye comes pretty darn close to winning every matchup, I cannot think of anything it would lose to on the regular. Also, cele herald doesn't have a whole lot of mobility.

Have to read what you quote. I'm among those who do not consider resetting winning. If you're looking for fights, that means you're looking for engagements where you could win, but you might lose. If you cannot lose bc you can always just run away, that's not fighting. Just my opinion ofc, but it was my opinion that I was expressing . . .

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

Have to read what you quote. I'm among those who do not consider resetting winning. If you're looking for fights, that means you're looking for engagements where you could win, but you might lose. If you cannot lose bc you can always just run away, that's not fighting. Just my opinion ofc, but it was my opinion that I was expressing . . .

I read what you wrote. Deadeye can win easily without resetting.