Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

In a way, it did. At least the game it used to be slowly started to fizzle out after LWS4. At least, with GW3 development news leaking, we now understand why.

That sounds sad. I only played core (except for the occasional jump into some expansion to get some random stuff avoiding story, but not really appreciating). I have my map finally at 80%, close to finishing core, to start living world. And sounds sad to know that the game I love, that (as people say) got A LOT better with HoT, may now be dropping in quality. Because I see a lot of people say they liked SoTo and that.

I just hope... I have some years left to enjoy the whole GW2. After that, only God knows what will happen.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, DarkK.7368 said:

I just hope... I have some years left to enjoy the whole GW2. After that, only God knows what will happen.

Oh, there is plenty of stuff to enjoy for many years, if you are new(ish) to the game -- don't worry. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DarkK.7368 said:

That sounds sad. I only played core (except for the occasional jump into some expansion to get some random stuff avoiding story, but not really appreciating). I have my map finally at 80%, close to finishing core, to start living world. And sounds sad to know that the game I love, that (as people say) got A LOT better with HoT, may now be dropping in quality. Because I see a lot of people say they liked SoTo and that.

Ignore the doom and gloom. Yes SoTo had a couple of wobbly updates, but two more expacs are on the way. GW2 is going nowhere for a few years and with a stacked back catalogue of content, worries and concerns are unnecessary

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

On 3/28/2024 at 9:23 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Let's kittening hope gw3 is not happening. 

If we get a official information from Anet that gw3 is in development, i probably stop playing gw2. 

No point. 

Also, I'm not gonna start a new MMO again. 

Seriously. I was looking forward to tonight's raids with my guild. 

But now I don't even feel like login in. 

I'm not singling you out, forgive me, just commenting on this general sentiment.

If GW3 comes out or gets announced as in development I wouldn't bail on 2. It could be years before its release. 

A realistic timeline could be 2030 at some point unless they have a team, engine and design plan already ready to go.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/28/2024 at 4:28 PM, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Guild wars has already moved on from the previous game.

It was successful, whatever they reason, whatever their thought process was then, they should be using that thought process.

People seem to look at the negatives too much, like the games that failed.

Everyone forgets this is Guild Wars, Guild Wars already has proven successful track record, look within on what to do, not others.

Everyone forgets too, Guild Wars 1 was huge, very successful, it was #esports, it was not slowing down, and they made GW2 while that was happening.

It's not like GW1 was doing poorly and forced to switchover. Whatever their thought process or reason to goto GW2, they look within.

Looking at other MMORPGs and deciding information off of them, is a bad idea. Just because they all do one thing or do not something. Doesn't mean thats how it should be.

GW2 is innovative, does things against the norm. Ex. GW1 to GW2.

MMORPG lifespan, why does everyone look at everyone else and assume things. Norms change. Technology faster, what that mean? Your on Windows7. Technology is moving quickly. What do you do? In order to upgrade what happens? Your on an old technology stack, 2012. Whats a good thing to do? Just because no one else has done something, or not many others done it. Or someone has done it and failed.

GW1 to GW2 remember that. GW1 very successful, was not slowing down. GW2 happened. GW2 is doing great since GW1 transition.

So need to within. At successes not other peoples/companies failures.

Also NOTE:

If money is the main culprit, like people think anet is struggling with money and need to do stuff to make money.

Look at Diablo3 expansions. Not much copies sold.

Now Diablo4, 10 million copies sold.

Do you think Diablo3 expansion 2024, would draw in 10 million?

Do you think Diablo4 expansion 2024 would draw in 10 million?

Wheres the 10 million from, what brought in 10 million, whats the reason.

New game, New version.

Not no GW2 2024 expansion, 950k copies sold.

Its more like GW3 10 million copies sold.

New game draws in interest, expansions are not as interesting. So if money is the issue

New game = 

new foundation/up to date

fresh code, fresh, no bugs hindering advancement and what not

fresh database, no strange connections making it difficult to do fancy things

fresh start for everyone, MMORPG players, video gamers in general, fresh starts are fun

Wheres the data?

WoW, classic. What is it. Fresh start basically it.

EQ, TLP. What is it? Fresh start

Lots of data supporting new games = lots of copies sold = lots of players playing

Fresh start = You gonna be on the next WoW classic start? EQ TLP start? = lots of interest

Fresh start is not just game redoing it, it can be GW3. New game is fresh start samething.

Also note, its not good thing to do new game constantly.

WWE 2K23 WWE 2K24, no one likes that. So its something algrothim reading your audience. what they want, expectations. community is not dumb.

WWE 2K23 WWE 2K24 basically same game, same foundations not much new but considered a 'new game' but they make you charge full price and people notice and are not dumb.

So I would not advise MMORPGs to start trying a new game every year trend.

MMORPG lifespan need think about it.

GW1 to GW2 whatever they thought process was, whatever they were thinking, thats the secret sauce.

I believe there is a lifespan, all it takes whoever gonna do it in a big way and set the trend, do it successfully. (GW1 to me IS an MMORPG, so GW1 to GW2 is a successful use case)

Who else but GW1 to GW2 thought process people and how to go about the transition too. As in GW1 is discontinued. Why, why not continue? Best for the brand. Well GW series is looking good in the aftermath it was good move even though GW1 was doing very well. GW series basically lost #esports but the brand, the game continues. GW series.

My only issue with this post is how did you get 4 "love" reactions

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hadi.2430 said:

My only issue with this post is how did you get 4 "love" reactions

The ways of the emote clicker are not for mere mortals to understand. Recently I got 4 confused faces on a very brief post that just used a single sentence to state a fact about the game that someone was disputing. Now that was certainly confusing to me, ironically.

Edited by Manasa Devi.7958
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 5

On 5/1/2024 at 4:41 PM, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

A realistic timeline could be 2030 at some point unless they have a team, engine and design plan already ready to go.

Considering what positions they were trying to fill, which they are trying to fill, and the info about them converting GW2 assets to UE, whatever MMORPG they have cooking seems to have most of the core team complete and be well beyond the design stage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

I wonder if guild wars 3 will bring back healer monks and ritualist. What I love about GW the most is the class names. I don't have a computer though anymore. I'd like a new computer. The video game community ignores me some of them and i'm more of a social person. I can play guild wars 1, but it's low population. If guild wars can be played on a steam deck then it must be useable on controller. I'd like heros to come back to guild wars. What do you people want in guild wars 3? That won't release until 2030 and we will all be dead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

I hope that there are dedicated healers/prots even if its an hybrid trinity.

Oh yeah, I would love to see the dual-class system (and possibly skill system) from GW1 return in GW3. Now, also make it a classy(c) fantasy setting, and I am sold on the game. 😁

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

On 27/4/2024 at 21:19, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

Me encantó Guild Wars... Amo y odio Guild Wars 2... Será mejor que lo deje así.

Well, it's not that you're in charge, and ANET won't do what you say. In the end, they don't care that much about veterans either. There will always be new people or young people who join.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 4/28/2024 at 6:05 PM, angelica.7406 said:

In truth, how they complain and cry as if GW2 had already ended, we are only on the fifth expansion and GW3 is not even announced and ANET has said absolutely nothing. And I doubt it will come out soon, that will take a couple of years.

And everyone complains that they won't play GW3 for whatever reason, so don't play it, even because they don't quit once and for all and stop wasting their valuable time and better make the cure for can-cer or something revolutionary that will help the world.

Understand, it is a simple game, this is not real, even if there was a war and the servers exploded all the time it would go to waste.

Appreciate life and video games, videoegos are just a hobby, it's just to entertain for a while. Better help your parents, siblings, family, partner and children, instead of paying attention to a video game.

oh well with that logic why care about anything.  I mean the universe is expanding so why did you bother to post on the forum?  maybe cuz people are invested in this game, they want it to do well and not make bad decisions that penalize players or the companies revenue because we enjoy playing the game.   Some people think gw3 will do those things including me so were warning the devs/company about it, thats why we post, and thats why, according to you, we're complaining. 

Its also obvious you are not invested in the game or you wouldn't make statements like that.

I wonder how WOW veterans would feel if they made wow 2 (which they still haven't done - i wonder why?) and none of their stuff will most likely be transferred to wow 2, im sure they'd all just be ELATED by that news.  And then i guess you can be confused and wonder why people aren't happy about that either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

oh well with that logic why care about anything.  I mean the universe is expanding so why did you bother to post on the forum?  maybe cuz people are invested in this game, they want it to do well and not make bad decisions that penalize players or the companies revenue because we enjoy playing the game.   Some people think gw3 will do those things including me so were warning the devs/company about it, thats why we post, and thats why, according to you, we're complaining. 

Its also obvious you are not invested in the game or you wouldn't make statements like that.

I wonder how WOW veterans would feel if they made wow 2 (which they still haven't done - i wonder why?) and none of their stuff will most likely be transferred to wow 2, im sure they'd all just be ELATED by that news.  And then i guess you can be confused and wonder why people aren't happy about that either.

I understand that they may show some discontent or concern regarding GW3, even so ANET is free to do what they want or want.

And as for you saying that I am not involved, of course I am a veteran who has played since the original GW, I am still active in both games, I buy a new expansion that comes out of 2. The reason is that I love the story of the game, the maps, its modality and etc.

Even so, if a GW3 or GW4 came out, I would continue playing it since for me to start from scratch and rediscover those places we were in would be magical as it was to re-explore Ascalon or Kryta. Obviously I would love for ANET to maintain that quality.

But you don't see me whining because GW3 will come out, and my things will go in the trash, I don't care. A game is not an investment, it is throwing your money in the trash, since what you buy or the time you spend is not remunerative. But I think I understand that we are all aware of that and everyone invests their money and time as we want.

And it is not ANET's obligation to reward us, the veterans, and if it does well it would be a great gesture on its part.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, angelica.7406 said:

I understand that they may show some discontent or concern regarding GW3, even so ANET is free to do what they want or want.

And as for you saying that I am not involved, of course I am a veteran who has played since the original GW, I am still active in both games, I buy a new expansion that comes out of 2. The reason is that I love the story of the game, the maps, its modality and etc.

Even so, if a GW3 or GW4 came out, I would continue playing it since for me to start from scratch and rediscover those places we were in would be magical as it was to re-explore Ascalon or Kryta. Obviously I would love for ANET to maintain that quality.

But you don't see me whining because GW3 will come out, and my things will go in the trash, I don't care. A game is not an investment, it is throwing your money in the trash, since what you buy or the time you spend is not remunerative. But I think I understand that we are all aware of that and everyone invests their money and time as we want.

And it is not ANET's obligation to reward us, the veterans, and if it does well it would be a great gesture on its part.

its not our obligation to play their game either. so companies tend to reward loyalty especially after 20 years of repeat business.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

On 5/4/2024 at 7:08 PM, angelica.7406 said:

Well, it's not that you're in charge, and ANET won't do what you say. In the end, they don't care that much about veterans either. There will always be new people or young people who join.

wat? I was just pointing out that since I loved GW and have mixed feelings about GW2 (both love and hate), the logical conclusion for GW3, based on this pattern, would be hate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/5/2024 at 3:08 AM, angelica.7406 said:

Depending on new players to carry a new MMORPG title is just asking for a failure - nowadays MMORPG playerbase is anything but new or young. New players switched to different games long ago for the most part, and the small trickle you still can get from that group is not enough to be treated as a primary (or even significantly large) part of playerbase anymore.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

its not our obligation to play their game either. so companies tend to reward loyalty especially after 20 years of repeat business.

You already said exactly, it is not an obligation to play if we do not want to, but we do not have the right to tell ANET not to release GW3.

It's like if you had a business, you wouldn't want people telling you what to do or not do with your business if you want to do something new.

It's good to listen to and read your customers' opinions, but in the end you decide as a company.

And ANET rewarded us by giving us things through the Hall of Monuments reward system. I don't doubt that it will reward us if they release a GW3. But it's also not a rule or a signed contract that they have to do it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Depending on new players to carry a new MMORPG title is just asking for a failure - nowadays MMORPG playerbase is anything but new or young. New players switched to different games long ago for the most part, and the small trickle you still can get from that group is not enough to be treated as a primary (or even significantly large) part of playerbase anymore.

So you're saying that ANET should stick to GW2 and not release any more sequels that aren't expansions.

And people die and new people are born, everything is a cycle and everything is renewed, for example those who saw Star Wars are no longer the same ones who see it now, it is another generation.

It's the same thing that the original GW played, many are no longer in GW2, some are still watching, but from what I see the majority are new and young people.

Besides, if ANET decides to launch a GW3, we are nobody to prevent that from happening. They will have their own strategy and they will see how to make it generate money for them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, angelica.7406 said:

So you're saying that ANET should stick to GW2 and not release any more sequels that aren't expansions.

Yes. No MMORPG sequels anyway (or MMORPGs in general, even if it would not be a Guild Wars game). No new MMORPG has succeeded in years (and for good reasons), and there's nothing suggesting this trend has a chance of reversing anytime soon. When we factor in the huge costs of further development and support, investing in a new MMORPG currently is a high risk low reward kind of investment, which hardly sounds like a good business idea.

And people die and new people are born, everything is a cycle and everything is renewed, for example those who saw Star Wars are no longer the same ones who see it now, it is another generation.

Sure, and maybe in 10, 20 or 50 years the current situation will reverse and fortune winds for MMORPGs will start blowing again. But that time is not now.

It's the same thing that the original GW played, many are no longer in GW2, some are still watching, but from what I see the majority are new and young people.

That's not what i observe. In general, the MMORPG players nowadays (and not just in GW2) are much older on average than when those games were still new.

Besides, if ANET decides to launch a GW3, we are nobody to prevent that from happening. They will have their own strategy and they will see how to make it generate money for them.

Oh, of course, it's ultimately up to them. I can have an opinion about it. And remember, that Anet has made more than one questionable business decision in the past, and had to put a  lot of effort to recover from them each time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes. No MMORPG sequels anyway (or MMORPGs in general, even if it would not be a Guild Wars game). No new MMORPG has succeeded in years (and for good reasons), and there's nothing suggesting this trend has a chance of reversing anytime soon. When we factor in the huge costs of further development and support, investing in a new MMORPG currently is a high risk low reward kind of investment, which hardly sounds like a good business idea.

Sure, and maybe in 10, 20 or 50 years the current situation will reverse and fortune winds for MMORPGs will start blowing again. But that time is not now.

That's not what i observe. In general, the MMORPG players nowadays (and not just in GW2) are much older on average than when those games were still new.

Oh, of course, it's ultimately up to them. I can have an opinion about it. And remember, that Anet has made more than one questionable business decision in the past, and had to put a  lot of effort to recover from them each time.

Well, you see it that way, but I see it differently as a company, you must look further and reinvent yourself. Imagine that human beings have been prohibited and denied many things, and thanks to our stubbornness or however you see it, is how we have been able to advance in society.

Why wait 10, 50 or 100 years for MMORPGs to become popular again. But I say that if you have the vision and the strategy, do it, life itself is a risk and if they want to do it, they have that freedom, just as we have that freedom to play it or not.

And of course everyone has the right to express their disagreement with GW3. But what I don't like is that they hate him and complain that if they do that it will be a waste of time in GW2. And who says that a video game is a real life and a good investment for our lives. Whoever wants to invest time and money in a game is up to each person and they should not whine.

If ANET really releases a GW3, of course I will play it and if I really like it as it is, I will continue playing it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, angelica.7406 said:

Well, you see it that way, but I see it differently as a company, you must look further and reinvent yourself. Imagine that human beings have been prohibited and denied many things, and thanks to our stubbornness or however you see it, is how we have been able to advance in society.

Again, this is not about not making a new game. Obviously companies have to release new games. It's about what type of game they make.

1. safest option with least risk: make a non MMORPG

2. second safest option: make a new MMORPG but with a different audience, setting and IP. Already risky because now you are competing within your own products, but actually sustainable. Just to reiterate though: MMORPGs in general are VERY risky and costly endeavors

3. most risky option: make a followup MMORPG to your only revenue generating title. That's where developing GW3 is at basically. Even most best case scenarios mean you are at best replacing one cash cow with another(which ironically makes the actual best case scenario where both GW3 and GW2 see support a situation where GW3 is mediocre at best). This has literally the potential to sink the studio (even before the game releases, depending on how GW2 sales are affected. HINT: steam player number took a nosedive the moment the GW3 announcement leaked).

It's option 3 which has players riled up because it is mental to pursue. It's extremely risky, it's extremely costly and there would have been far more reasonable projects to go for. That is IF GW3 is even a full on MMORPG, which obviously we do not know. Obviously having GW3 not be a MMORPG (or basically some type of hybrid which allows for a continued support and development for GW2 and GW3 without direct competition between them( would significantly increase the studios chances of success and survival.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I wonder what running in circles, exchanging the same pro and contra arguments over and over again, is good for. This thread has run its course as long as we don't receive any word on the matter from ANet themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, angelica.7406 said:

You already said exactly, it is not an obligation to play if we do not want to, but we do not have the right to tell ANET not to release GW3.

It's like if you had a business, you wouldn't want people telling you what to do or not do with your business if you want to do something new.

It's good to listen to and read your customers' opinions, but in the end you decide as a company.

And ANET rewarded us by giving us things through the Hall of Monuments reward system. I don't doubt that it will reward us if they release a GW3. But it's also not a rule or a signed contract that they have to do it.

uh yah i listen to customers lol money talks

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 9:01 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

Again, this is not about not making a new game. Obviously companies have to release new games. It's about what type of game they make.

1. safest option with least risk: make a non MMORPG

2. second safest option: make a new MMORPG but with a different audience, setting and IP. Already risky because now you are competing within your own products, but actually sustainable. Just to reiterate though: MMORPGs in general are VERY risky and costly endeavors

3. most risky option: make a followup MMORPG to your only revenue generating title. That's where developing GW3 is at basically. Even most best case scenarios mean you are at best replacing one cash cow with another(which ironically makes the actual best case scenario where both GW3 and GW2 see support a situation where GW3 is mediocre at best). This has literally the potential to sink the studio (even before the game releases, depending on how GW2 sales are affected. HINT: steam player number took a nosedive the moment the GW3 announcement leaked).

It's option 3 which has players riled up because it is mental to pursue. It's extremely risky, it's extremely costly and there would have been far more reasonable projects to go for. That is IF GW3 is even a full on MMORPG, which obviously we do not know. Obviously having GW3 not be a MMORPG (or basically some type of hybrid which allows for a continued support and development for GW2 and GW3 without direct competition between them( would significantly increase the studios chances of success and survival.

I think gw3 will already be made with more focus on the younger audiences/generation. the audience will be different. it will also depend on what will be popular in the gaming world. some new games for example, have sandboxes, house building, survival,... there is even a vr mod for wow.

what I have seen is that some new games have less content then its predecessor and then the players will just stick with the old game.

What I dislike about current mmorpg games is that they can have game mechanics that are suited for bots. you basically have to play like a bot to make progress. I hope gw3 won't have this. so saying that they shouldn't make gw3 or make something that will be different than gw2 doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Chaos God.1639
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1