Equipment temp/Build temp on 1 key.

Would like to combine  Equipment  temp/Build temp to 1 key as an option. Is it allowed to make my own macro for that? or is it included in this.

You cannot use macros to create skill chains in any competitive environment, including PvP, WvW, open world activities, races, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Having an outside macro perform two different actions is not allowed and I wouldn't even risk.

Having the templates tied to a single key was something the devs wanted to implement but haven't put in the effort to make it work.

You'll have to stick with right clicking the button over weapon swap for fastest build swapping. I use a different keybind for each Equipment Template and tie the Build temp with Alt+ the keybind.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Anov.4237 said:

Would like to combine  Equipment  temp/Build temp to 1 key as an option. Is it allowed to make my own macro for that? or is it included in this.

• You cannot use macros to create skill chains in any competitive environment, including PvP, WvW, open world activities, races, etc.

assigning a Build template and an Equipment template keybind to a single key doesn't violate this specific rule against macro usage, as these aren't "Skill chains": a skill chain would be any combination of attacks or utility skills activated in sequence tied to a single button press (i.e. perfoming a full rotation of skills).

assigning a macro to automate equipment and build toggling would most likely be permitted under the same conditions as:

• You may bind dodge and jump to a single key.

providing the activation of such a macro doesn't allow for an unfair advatage, or include the activation of additional combat abilities, such as Necromancer switching from to a minion build and instantly activating a skill chain to summon all their minions.

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

What I do is map equipment and build loadouts to adjacent keys on my numpad, and just use 2 fingers at once to change builds.

That's what I'd do, if I changed builds often enough to worry about it. I've moved a lot of the defaults around to put things I use together next to each other. (Like changing 'hide UI' to F12 so it's next to the print screen button.)

• Like 2

Alt+1 Build template 1

Alt+2 Equipment template 1

Alt+3 Build template 2

Alt+4 Equipment template 2

etc....

So it's a quick hold down Alt+ and press two keys side-by-side for me to quickly change.  Works for me.  /shrug

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I use Shift + # for equipment templates and Ctrl + # for build templates. Still two clicks but fairly easy.

37 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Alt+1 Build template 1

Alt+3 Build template 2

etc....

So it's a quick hold down Alt+ and press two keys side-by-side for me to quickly change.  Works for me.  /shrug

If you are standing in a safe area,sure no problem. 

But it's real fun getting infight mid switching and you are now a dps build on heal stats. 

If I had a mystic coin for everytime that happened to me.... 

If it was one button, that would not happen.

It's a simple QoL thing. Not necessary but no reason not to have it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

16 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

assigning a Build template and an Equipment template keybind to a single key doesn't violate this specific rule against macro usage, as these aren't "Skill chains": a skill chain would be any combination of attacks or utility skills activated in sequence tied to a single button press (i.e. perfoming a full rotation of skills).

assigning a macro to automate equipment and build toggling would most likely be permitted under the same conditions as:

providing the activation of such a macro doesn't allow for an unfair advatage, or include the activation of additional combat abilities, such as Necromancer switching from to a minion build and instantly activating a skill chain to summon all their minions.

Dodgejump is a specific exception Anet made.

For anything else there is the "one input = one action" rule:
"Each macro should represent a single action that requires user input before repeating the action."

Having a macro to activate a build and equip loadout would be two actions with one input and therefore against the rules.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Dodgejump is a specific exception Anet made.

For anything else there is the "one input = one action" rule:
"Each macro should represent a single action that requires user input before repeating the action."

Having a macro to activate a build and equip loadout would be two actions with one input and therefore against the rules.

firstly, you're only quoting part of the policy, the full point reads "You cannot use macros to fully automate a character (“bot”) in the game. Each macro should represent a single action that requires user input before repeating the action."

second, the key word is Repeat, assinging 2 seperate functions to the same key is not a repetition

Thirdly, Dodge/Jump is mentioned as an example, not an exception

i also stated it would 'Most likely' be allowed.

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

Which is why I would ask Anet directly via a Support Ticket.  I wouldn't want to chance my account on a "most likely" from a forum post.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Which is why I would ask Anet directly via a Support Ticket.  I wouldn't want to chance my account on a "most likely" from a forum post.

ANet support are never going to give an explicit yes/no on specific macro cases, unless it's to confirm one that's already in the policy. There have been posts on here before from people who've actually been directed back to the forums with their question, probably because the only people with the authority to answer are the devs themselves.

I do understand the wariness around macros; no-one wants to gamble with their account. But it's important to note that the starting position of the macro policy is "attended macro use is permitted" with a handful of explicitly approved and banned use cases. This leaves a lot of grey area for players to use best judgement (and reserves ANet the right to rule that a specific use is/isn't within policy); a lot of people act as though the policy reads "macro use is not permitted except for these approved examples".

The "Each macro should represent a single action that requires user input before repeating the action" part is the most frustrating, because there's a lot of ambiguity in what "an action" is. The most conservative reading is that it means a single skill use or movement, but as stack double-clickers are allowed, consuming a stack of items also qualifies as "an action", as does performing a song. It's also preceded by the example "You cannot use macros to fully automate a character (“bot”) in the game", and there's a world of difference between an attended macro that performs several key inputs to do one specific thing, and botting.

Honestly, rather than getting hung up on "one key, one action", I think the better rule of thumb is exactly what the policy says: "Attended macro use is permitted as long as it is not exploitative, and as long as it does not provide the user with an unfair advantage over other players". What OP is proposing is an attended macro that:

1. Performs an action on a single account
  2. Doesn't automate skill use while AFK
  3. Isn't a skill chain
  4. Doesn't participate in activities
  5. Isn't for farming items/financial gain
  6. Doesn't fully automate their character (performs a single action — changing build and weapon templates simultaneously — which requires user input before repeating the action)

Where the "unfair advantage" rule of thumb comes in is WvW. Using macros to quickly change your build and equipment there would be an unfair advantage, but in PvE, doing so is pure convenience. So yeah, I have no authority to say what is and isn't allowed, but since we're largely left to make our own minds up about what is and isn't within policy, that's my thought process on this one.

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 2:40 PM, Parasite.5389 said:

firstly, you're only quoting part of the policy, the full point reads "You cannot use macros to fully automate a character (“bot”) in the game. Each macro should represent a single action that requires user input before repeating the action."

This doesn't change my point / the rule.

second, the key word is Repeat, assinging 2 seperate functions to the same key is not a repetition

The rule is pretty clear -> one macro(key), one action.

Thirdly, Dodge/Jump is mentioned as an example, not an exception

Nope, Dodgejump are among the macros that are explicitely allowed. it's not an example for what kind of macros are allowed.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013762153-Policy-Macros-and-Macro-Use

And I explained you why - when purely following the rules - it's not "most likely allowed". 🙂 

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

The rule is pretty clear -> one macro(key), one action.

From https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013762153-Policy-Macros-and-Macro-Use

A macro is a script that can be programmed to activate multiple keys simultaneously or in quick succession. While Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros,

I.e. one key, mutliple actions

one key = one action, is just a key!

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

A macro is a script that can be programmed to activate multiple keys simultaneously or in quick succession. While Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros,

Seriosuly? You don't even try to hide that you cut half of the quote...

"While Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros, there are specific circumstances when they are disallowed—specifically in any scenario where the use of macro provides an unnatural advantage over other players."

10 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

I.e. one key, mutliple actions

one key = one action, is just a key!

You quoted it yourself -> Macros are scripts that can activate multiple KEYS simultaneously. Keys. Keys =/= Actions in the game.

Short example for macros I use: I use the Roccat Isku+ keyboard, which comes with 8 extra keys. Macro keys.
These keys don't do anything on default, you have to assign a key to them.
You also can assign key combinations. For example ctrl+1. That's two keys -> macro.

Now you can assign the hotkey combination ctrl+1 to a mount, let's say to your Raptor.
Instead of pressing ctrl+1 all the time, you can now activate your mount with your macro key.

One macro, two keys, but only one action in the game.
One key press, one action.

10 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Whenever I have many of those not-easy-deletable items I put them in one character and use a mouse recorder that does the needed steps to get rid of them. Means I record one circle and set it on repeat xx times and sped up too.

I even posted this on this forum in a thread about this annoying topic, the steps I do and how to set it up so it can be automated.

I do the same when I have many chests that require several steps to be looted, like picking an item, confirming that I want this etc... and that with over 100 chests manually? No way. -> Macro, go do your magic while I'm in the kitchen, tyvm.

I mean, autoclicker that opens/consumes stacks of items automatically are explicitely allowed.

"You may create an auto-clicker that opens or consumes a stack of items."

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/15/2024 at 1:34 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

Alt+1 Build template 1
Alt+3 Build template 2
etc....

I'm using the number block for Skill tabs and the same key +Control for the corresponding Equipment tab:

NUM1 + Ctrl+NUM1
NUM2 + Ctrl+NUM2
etc

• Confused 1

On 5/14/2024 at 4:46 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Having to risk a ban for fixing bad game design. It's nice, isn't it? 

Its the price paid to maintain fairness and close gaps people use to argue botting.  Shared suffering builds character and community.  

Why waste energy fighting each other, when we could be using that hate against the cash shop. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 5:07 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Just right click on weapon swap next to your skillbars and left click on build/equipment templates 🤷‍♂️

Well, that way can be broken down to:
- Move mouse to the weapon switch button.
- Right click
- Move mouse to the equip template button
- Left click
- Move mouse to the build template button
- Left click

Binding them to hotkeys on the other hand would be:
- Press key for equip template
- Press key for build template
Both can even be done simultaneously.

It may sound ridiculous, but once you tried it it's a huge difference.
It's the same as for mounts, choosing via mouse vs. binding each one to a hotkey.
Binding equip and build template to the same key, would increase the convenience even more. But macro ToS says no.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3