Guild Wars 2 Expansion Reveal: June 4

On 5/29/2024 at 10:28 AM, Worrbinpike.2957 said:

New expansion announce and most people are going crazy because of Landspears ? I didnt get it. Give me a good story, a huge map with a lot to do in it, good Metas and Events.

Look at SotO. People already know that landspears is unfortunately the best we can get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

Good story, huge map with lot to do it's something I think we take as GRANTED that we always need. That's why SOTO has lots of negative reviews about those topics. So we don't have to demand that in every video we see.

But some possible love for underwater content, or land spears? That's some *extra* thing that indeed lot of people wants. Of course, after the basic quality is covered, but that's discussed in another topic. Here we are for the small new details.

• Confused 1

Land spears… so we are finally getting the long lost land weapon category of Polearm?

also regarding tridents and speargun… spearguns could get redesigned as Crossbows… they would make sense… and depending on if land spear is 1 or 2 handed trident could be reworked as its counterpart… nomatter what they do, all underwater weapons need a complete skill overhaul before coming to land… very few underwater weapons have a complete skillset that would be wholly functional on land.

• Confused 2

I'm interested to see if we get spears on land, or if we get a new class of weapon (polearm?) that is a counterpart to the spear. And if we're equipping actual spears as land weapons, will I need to own 2 different spears to slot them into my land and water weapon slots?

Then I have more questions: Is everybody getting land spears, or will some classes get a different weapon proficiency? Are spears the only underwater weapons that are leaving the water? Is this paving the way for bringing land weapons underwater sometime soon (please!)?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We seem to be focusing on "spear" as a category in itself, but with only a single character shown in the teaser naturally all we see is the single weapon that's equipped. If only the spear comes up on the shore but the trident and speargun stay firmly waterlogged, that's pretty weak. And then there's the question of whether it would involve a new skillset or simply bring the existing skills to land, since the way some of those work might not translate well for land use.

I'm hoping that it also means that all classes get unrestricted access to all three types of UW weapon. After more than a decade with characters only having access to one set of two UW weapons with no variation possible, it's time to allow a (very) little versatility if for no other reason than style. Yes, UW content is largely dead/abandoned content, but there are still plenty of players who enjoy it, even if only occasionally. Fingers crossed!

22 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

spearguns could get redesigned as Crossbows

That would certainly be reasonable and easy enough to implement even without any redesigning. The only real consideration would be that the skills would need to be different enough from existing rifle/bow skillsets to make it a viable choice. E.G. for Mesmers, it would probably need to be a DPS or condi weapon, since the Mesmer's rifle is designed for support. For Rangers, it would need to differ from the two bow skillsets, etc.

• Confused 2

I'm just happy it takes place on honest to God land. And don't get me wrong, I liked Secrets, but I wasn't so into the floating lands stuff even if I liked the demon realm. Looking forward to finding out the details.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kalythsu.8350 said:

Question: How will the expansion be revealed? On the official website or a livestream on twitch? thx 🙂

We don't know all the details yet, but you can be sure that there will be an official News blog post first and foremost.

• Confused 1

On 5/29/2024 at 4:28 AM, Worrbinpike.2957 said:

New expansion announce and most people are going crazy because of Landspears ? I didnt get it. Give me a good story, a huge map with a lot to do in it, good Metas and Events.

I couldnt care less of spears on land, lol.

Oh kitten. I didn't realize spears and good stories/maps were mutually exclusive. Did their writers get fired for more graphic designers on spear skins or something? Now I'm not sure what I want. 🤔

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Oh kitten. I didn't realize spears and good stories/maps were mutually exclusive. Did their writers get fired for more graphic designers on spear skins or something? Now I'm not sure what I want. 🤔

Well, there's more to it than just a skin. They do have to makes land skills for all the classes, animations, functionality for it transferring from water to land (as you can see in the video). Oh and the skills have to be somewhat balanced towards all the classes and elite specs; in short it takes more resources than you might think. And when it comes to resource allotment, well, you cannot use these resources anywhere else. 

At the same time, you do make a valid point because I'm not sure whether or not these resources count towards map design or story writing. If they do it'll be on a budget level. But at the same time I do want to point out that SoTO isn't known for its good stories and maps. So let's hope that the landspears don't end up serving as a way to hide poor quality stories/maps for the upcoming expac.

• Confused 1