next expansion should remove all self-sustain aside from a generic heal, add monks, and resurrection signet.

10 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

far easier to balance, everyone needs a monk, no class has way more self sustain than any other. 

So you want to remove a whole role that 9 classes can fulfill, only to add a new class that exclusively can fulfill this role?
That's like the worst idea you could have regarding roles and new classes.

One big plus of GW2's combat system is that of this "only one class can do this role" nonesense. Not having such restriction is the better system.

Not to mention that Monks extinct when the human gods left. Monks evolved into Guardians.
In other words you talking about a class that a) simply no longer exist in Tyria and b) was Human only.

A certain role that can only be played with one class that can only be picked with one race. That's WoW, not GW2.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

So you want to remove a whole role that 9 classes can fulfill, only to add a new class that exclusively can fulfill this role?

just remove the self sustain aspect of the classes, give them a generic 5k heal, and no other sources of sustain, and let monks fill that role. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 20

35 minutes ago, Eddie.9143 said:

just remove the self sustain aspect of the classes, give them a generic 5k heal, and no other sources of sustain, and let monks fill that role. 

Best and fastest way to kill PvE, PvP and WvW.

Also, if you think the reasons you cited were the ones why gw PvP was good and popular, you only prove that you didn't know why it was good and popular.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

If self-sustain gets removed then i will stop playing Guild Wars 2 completely because 99% of time i play PvE open world solo and i simply don't want to be forced to be in party all the time just to do PvE open world content.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

better game, shouldn't have strayed too far from a delicious recipe. 

You’re always welcome to go back there and stay there anytime 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

I haven't played gw1 since prob 2008 or so. 

I just feel like gw2 is getting way too over-complicated and difficult to balance, especially with all weapons available. 

if DPS only had to have their DPS, CC, and utility balanced, rather than also balancing their self sustain (which is very complicated when dealing with healing, barrier, condi removal, and the cooldowns of all of those) the game would be far easier to balance. monks would be the source of almost all healing & condi removal. 

Aww, what’s wrong? GW2 too complex for you? 

7 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

boons are terrible for balance. 

You are terrible for balance. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

So you DO want to remove a whole role that 9 classes can fulfill, only to add a new class that exclusively can fulfill this role ... An extinct class...

Not even GW1 works like this. Nor does any other MMO I know. They all either have more than one healer class from begin on or get more healer classes with lather updates, because they recognized having only one was a bad idea.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 5

I'm all for simplifying classes so balance and become a thing even, much less an effective thing . . .

But I'd also point out the closest thing we have to balanced pvp rn is dragonball during lny, and "pvpers" run from it bc they can't leverage their builds . . .

It's funny how people in this game talk about balance as if majority of them didn't flock from class to class based on whatever is the most OP at the moment and the class that gives them the most trouble is the one that needs nerfing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

i would say to even ASK for this in the first place displays a FUNDMENTAL misunderstanding of how the combat works in gw2.

if you haven't noticed we DO have dedicated healers, we have dedicated DPS we have things in between these two and we have for the occasional kiting tanks.
there is not need for a "monk"

as a dedicated healer is not class based but BUILD based.

literally EVERY CLASS can make a heal/support build that ONLY does that. YES even warrior as heal berserker.
also the combat does NOT require a tank that takes all the damage, as often enough DPS is not a single target but often an AOE swing or effect. there for a "tank" exists only as a kite build meant to use their increased toughness stat to direct certain bosses/adds. for those unaware there is a SOFT aggro system gw2, in which the player with the most toughness is priority target by most mobs and bosses. ( so if you wonder why you get constantly targeted as your solider geared ele  in a mob squad....that's why)

ergo a trinity is ALREADY part of the gw2 combat. its just weighted differently and has inbetweens/hybrids
Pure power DPS, pure condi DPS, Pure support, but you also have condi support and power support as offensive support, you also have defensive support.

And a monk as you OP, or any other person asking for it, think off, DOES NOT WORK in gw2. damage is distributed in cones and AoEs rarely if not at all as single target attacks by bosses. Just look at the specter, most of their mechanics volve around focusing on a target to heal or support and it already struggles to be a good support even WITH AoE support through wells. and of course the best being heal scourge who just blasts aoe heals and barrier ( and rezzes fast)

A monk that would have to target a squad member and click one skill to heal and do that with ALL squad member specially with squad wide damage WOULD NOT WORK. Unless you make him like.....a support water ele. 

as you can see a traditional heal monk ala GW1 will NEVER work in GW2. so stop asking for it. but dive into the wealth of GW2 support builds. i am not joking when i say EVERY CLASS has a support build. some are still under tuned for more optimal gameplay but they are perfectly fine for casual play.
You have heal berserker and heal(spell)breaker, you have specter, firebrand ( was so strong in the past it had to be nerfed), heal scourge (still god tier in pve even with hundreds of nerfes), water ele, you have rifle chronomacer, DRUID, heal mechanist, you have ventari HEAL VINDICATOR....

you just have to look into them and those who are not as great for more optimal play will eventually be buffed enough in the future OR maybe get a new weapon to play with.

but if your gripe is that you can not be a robe wearing staff wielding monk that shoots holy stuff at allies then.....make a water ele or guardian and transmog your armor into the monastery armor from shing jea

Edited by ShroomOneUp.6913

19 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

there's a reason most mmos follow the tank/healer/dps big three. it works. 

It does work, but they do it because those roles represent the 3 ways players can interact with the game in PvE: ally to ally (support), ally to AI (damage), AI to ally (tanking).

GW2 didn't innovate with their system.  They just severely limited the ability of players to control enemy positioning.  The idea was that players would fend for themselves by using their dodge ability and self-sustain skills.  But they quickly realized that could never produce compelling group PvE content and the dedicated support role became a thing.   

As it was before the support role, all not having a tank role did was limit the developer's options in encounter design.  The result is that lovely stack in a pile gameplay and everything they've tried to do to break out of it.  Simply having tanks and UI support for the healer role like other games would have solved these problems.

• Like 1

I entered my account just to make a comment to this stupid solution. You simply do not know how this game works and came with a solution like this which make zero sense. The game does not have the traditional tank/healer/dps trinity. There is no such thing that one class can do important spesific things which cannot be accomplished by other classes.

They made Chronomancer give both quickness and alacrity (similar with your solution) which other classes are not able to do that. In those days, every group required one Chronomancer to apply these boons to their group. It was terrible idea and they changed it eventually to make all classes viable in boon support role which make sense.

And for self sustain. Not everyone wants to play this game with the pocket monk that travels with you forever to give you big green numbers so you can finish hard events. Some people including me wants to play this game solo and have fun usually.

• Thanks 10

20 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

far easier to balance, everyone needs a monk, no class has way more self sustain than any other. 

This was posted in General. Is this really an instanced content, PvP or WvW request? Cuz it doesn't make much sense for open world stuff, where there are a great many people running about solo.

Oh, and I definitely remember sitting around forever waiting for a healer to join the party in GW1. Yeah, let's go back to that!

• Like 1

If they did this then I would also require that they bring back mercenaries so that I can party with my other characters like I could in GW1 and play the game that way. They must preserve my independence from other players. If I MUST have a dedicated healer it will be one that I made, not any of you sorry louts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Well that's certainly a very ignorant idea :classic_blink: "monks" in this game are heal mechanists or heal vindis. You don't need anything more than that. Also, self sustain is very important because not everyone wants to constantly run in a 60+ man squad. Those who enjoy playing alone should have the chance to do so. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UNDEAD.6108 said:

If self-sustain gets removed then i will stop playing Guild Wars 2 completely because 99% of time i play PvE open world solo and i simply don't want to be forced to be in party all the time just to do PvE open world content.

henchmen baby

• Haha 2
  • Confused 8

Posted (edited)

I think the developers especially high up in Arena Net need to understand this:

The original vision at Arena Net was "we don't want people waiting for monks to complete content".

Where are we at today? "LF ALACDPS, LF QDPS, LFHEALS".

You tried. You failed. When you are developing Guild Wars 3 keep this in mind and stop shying away from having roles/mechanics in your game because people might need to "wait for a specific role". Because they are waiting right now in Guild Wars 2 despite the game being designed from the ground up to avoid this.

Edited by Leger.3724
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 11

2 minutes ago, Leger.3724 said:

I think the developers especially high up in Arena Net need to understand this:

The original vision at Arena Net was "we don't want people waiting for monks to complete content".

Where are we at today? "LF ALACDPS, LF QDPS, LFHEALS".

You tried. You failed. When you are developing Guild Wars 3 keep this in mind and stop shying away from having roles/mechanics in your game because people might need to "wait for a specific role". Because they are waiting right now in Guild Wars 2 despite the game being designed from the ground up to avoid this.

What's wrong with the current system where every class can spec into each/most of the roles?

• Like 5